Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Top 10 draft pick incoming....

ThorstenDenmark

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

As a nose tackle though. He isn’t a edge.

That's what I mean. U could get away with his pass rushing abilities if u had legit pass rushers around him. This team doesn't have them so the majority of your pressure is coming from Buckner and Stewart, who is a run stopper.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah but it's once again Ballard's arrogance in believing that the. talent he has assembled on defence is good. I have always maintained that there is a very arrogant side to Ballard. Through all of his awe shucks talk, I think he really sees himself as a draft guru. I think this is so evident in  his drafting. He has basically drafted the same type of player the last 7 years without any real success. He really hasn't learned anything.

Top 5 Ballard draft picks as GM for the Colts?

Round 1, No. 6 overall: G Quenton Nelson
Round 2, No. 36 overall: LB Darius Leonard

Round 2, No. 41 overall: RB Jonathan Taylor

I can't mention 5 players he really hit on tbh....:/ 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Braden Smith: G coming out who many said would be a solid backup, turned into a pretty solid RT

Raiimann: still developing but looking more than serviceable 

Paye: one of the highest penetration rates just needs to finish

Dayo: starting to come on.

josh Downs: enough said

AR: I really think we hit here even though I didn’t like the choice at the time. If this guy can stay healthy, we’ll be fine

now, all these guys are solid starters on most teams. Sure, not all of them are household names but only none have even finished their rookie contracts yet. 

that said, Ballard has to, I mean HAS to hit this draft all home runs similar to 2018

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Grover Stewart

Anthony Walker

Quenton Nelson

Shaq Leonard

Braden Smith

Zaire Franklin

Bobby Okereke

EJ Speed

MPJ

Jonathan Taylor

Isaiah Rodgers

Bernhard Raimann(at least looks like it so far... too soon to tell)

Rodney Thomas

For this year's draft it's too ealry to tell... Some are showing good things... And if he hits on AR, a lot of other misses might be forgiven. 

I think Ballard is relatively good evaluator of talent. On the other side - I don't think Ballard has a good grasp of what wins in this league in 2023+. He still parrots that "build from inside out" mantra when in today's NFL what wins is the passing game - QB and receiving weapons on offense and the positions that disrupt passing on defense - CBs and pass-rushers... 

• Like 1

I like to look at the Eagles as an organization that hit on a great GM in Howie Roseman.  Can you imagine if that organization had been impatient enough to let him go during his first few years with the Chip Kelly hire?  Philly fans absolutely hated him.  Thankfully for them, he was able to hit on his 8th year before falling into meh the next 3 years without a good QB.  But over the last couple years, he has built that team into an incredible roster.  That roster would have gone 16 and 1 in 2022 had it not been for their QB going down late in the season.  With that incredible roster, they lost 2 games with their back-up QB, who did have a great stache.  Eagles fans were livid, calling for Roseman’s head because he hadn’t built a good enough roster to win with a back-up QB.

Unfortunately my knowledge of other GMs goes blank, although I do remember reading on this sub about how good the Bears had it with Ryan Pace and his hire of Matt Nagy.  Lost track of what happened there, but I assume all good, since putting together a roster and having a great QB fall into your hands is an exact science and obviously very simple and quick.  I mean, the Bears had Justin Fields, a favorite of this sub, fall into their lap.  

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Braden Smith: G coming out who many said would be a solid backup, turned into a pretty solid RT

Raiimann: still developing but looking more than serviceable 

Paye: one of the highest penetration rates just needs to finish

Dayo: starting to come on.

josh Downs: enough said

AR: I really think we hit here even though I didn’t like the choice at the time. If this guy can stay healthy, we’ll be fine

now, all these guys are solid starters on most teams. Sure, not all of them are household names but only none have even finished their rookie contracts yet. 

that said, Ballard has to, I mean HAS to hit this draft all home runs similar to 2018

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

Grover Stewart

Anthony Walker

Quenton Nelson

Shaq Leonard

Braden Smith

Zaire Franklin

Bobby Okereke

EJ Speed

MPJ

Jonathan Taylor

Isaiah Rodgers

Rodney Thomas

For this year's draft it's too ealry to tell... Some are showing good things... And if he hits on AR, a lot of other misses might be forgiven. 

I think Ballard is relatively good evaluator of talent. On the other side - I don't think Ballard has a good grasp of what wins in this league in 2023+. He still parrots that "build from inside out" mantra when in today's NFL what wins is the passing game - QB and receiving weapons on offense and the positions that disrupt passing on defense - CBs and pass-rushers... 

If most the players listed were to find jobs on other teams, they would be signed for mid-level FA money.  And we'd get a 4th to 6th round comp pick.

I don't think the poster is talking about late round players playing like mid round players or mid round FAs.   Nobody is an all pro outside of the easier positions to find...a G  a ILB and a RB.   

IN 7 years, Ballard has drafted only mid level players, no matter what round they were drafted in.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Grover Stewart

Anthony Walker

Quenton Nelson

Shaq Leonard

Braden Smith

Zaire Franklin

Bobby Okereke

EJ Speed

MPJ

Jonathan Taylor

Isaiah Rodgers

Rodney Thomas

Rock Ya Sin was a quick trigger trade, otherwise he would have been here on this list. He is a good judge of talent except that he doesn't cut it on positions that matter and his defensive philosophy. His corner record would have been better if he held on to RYS like he has held on to Kenny Moore, and held on to Gilmore, Rodgers he couldn't have seen coming but there was no harm in letting Rodgers serve out his suspension.

How many elite players at their positions do we have?

Buckner, Big Q, Braden Smith, Stewart, Downs (based on his early promise), a handful, tops.

That is it. Everyone else is Tier 2 for their positions. Pittman, JT, they are not elite. Leonard looks washed up. Moore was down last year, he is up this year, evening out to Tier 2, IMO.

No shut down corners, elite WRs to game plan for, or pass rushers to game plan for. Right now, it is an ALL IN bet on AR to come through to make up for mediocre roster assembly, just my opinion. THE BIGGEST flaw though is the defensive philosophy that he could not get good players for, with too many bets on traits like Turay, Banogu etc. that have set us back.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If most the players listed were to find jobs on other teams, they would be signed for mid-level FA money.  And we'd get a 4th to 6th round comp pick.

He's signing the best of them to extensions. It's only normal... especially when this is his professed philosophy. Hooker has been pretty good for Dallas, Okereke signed a pretty big contract, Mack played well for us but got injured and noone is giving big money for middling RB coming off serious injury. Walker has been starting for the Browns. 

I don't think the poster is talking about late round players playing like mid round players or mid round FAs.   Nobody is an all pro outside of the easier positions to find...a G  a ILB and a RB.   

I was talking about the usual definitions of hits - players that exceed or match their expectation based on draft position. 

IN 7 years, Ballard has drafted only mid level players, no matter what round they were drafted in.

I disagree with this. He has some pretty good picks... agreed that they have in general not been at positions of high value though... 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

He's signing the best of them to extensions. It's only normal... especially when this is his professed philosophy. Hooker has been pretty good for Dallas, Okereke signed a pretty big contract, Mack played well for us but got injured and noone is giving big money for middling RB coming off serious injury. Walker has been starting for the Browns. 

Those players are not all-pros.  They are exactly the mid-tier players Ballard drafts, no matter what round they are drafted in.   I'm not getting excited about the Rodney Thomas's playing like how Malik Hooker or Anthony Walker play within a fully talented D.

A team needs those mid-level players, a lot of them, but its the upper echelon guys in impact positions that drive teams deep into the playoffs.  We haven't had any since Luck, TY, Mathis, Reggie, Vontae and maybe AC....the late Grigson years.  Broken record.

I'm still saying the same things after 6 years.  Still waiting to be able to say something else.  

This roster isn't nearly as bad as Bradley's coaching, and Minshew's ineptitude makes it look. We need to be more aggressive with the pass rush, especially without Grover on the line. We ain't getting pressure rushing four without him. So draftwise, an impact player on the Dline and whatever it takes to get Marvin Jr or another real game breaking threat at WR. But before we get there Ballard needs to step out of his own shadow before the trade deadline and take some chances on a couple of deals. Oh, and a post season game or two is still very much in reach with 9 games remaining. If the Broncos can beat the Chiefs we can surely beat any team left on our schedule. If the 49ers can lose 3 in a row teams were chasing can stumble. For the wildcard there are 8 teams in front of us that have played one fewer games. We have five of them left on the schedule. 4 of the teams we're chasing for the wildcard are one game up. One team is two games up. In all likelihood we move up a spot or two on our bye week, and the Jags 3 game lead is not impossible to catch. 

9 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Nelson was a generational guard. I dont give him credit for Nelson becoming a All Pro. Yest, Darius played above his draft position but i do think that Darius was a fit for this scheme and a tad over rated. Taylor was highly touted but people are just not taking backs high anymore. I do think Taylor as a runner is great but as an all around back, he is not complete.

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is funny.  If we do get a top ten pick you know he is trading back.  Nothing to get excited about.

Maybe to the early 20s, tops, because the talent drop off gets significant and if we can gain a 2nd rounder, that would be great because this draft is filled with CBs and WRs, both of whom we could use a talent infusion with.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Rock Ya Sin was a quick trigger trade, otherwise he would have been here on this list. He is a good judge of talent except that he doesn't cut it on positions that matter and his defensive philosophy. His corner record would have been better if he held on to RYS like he has held on to Kenny Moore, and held on to Gilmore, Rodgers he couldn't have seen coming but there was no harm in letting Rodgers serve out his suspension.

How many elite players at their positions do we have?

Buckner, Big Q, Braden Smith, Stewart, Downs (based on his early promise), a handful, tops.

That is it. Everyone else is Tier 2 for their positions. Pittman, JT, they are not elite. Leonard looks washed up. Moore was down last year, he is up this year, evening out to Tier 2, IMO.

No shut down corners, elite WRs to game plan for, or pass rushers to game plan for. Right now, it is an ALL IN bet on AR to come through to make up for mediocre roster assembly, just my opinion. THE BIGGEST flaw though is the defensive philosophy that he could not get good players for, with too many bets on traits like Turay, Banogu etc. that have set us back.

You’re not going to have elite players at every position in football. This isn’t the NBA where you just wave around enough cash to buy a championship like Miami did years ago. 

but let’s go to the Peyton Manning days. I bet most on here couldn’t name the entire starting Offense or the entire starting defense. In the year we won the Super Bowl, who was elite? Marvin, Reggie, Peyton, Bob Sanders. Freeney and Mathis. Maybe Saturday and Bethea if you stretch it. That was it. The rest were good to average starters. Now the big difference is the positions of elite players. There’s no arguing that Ballard has focused on the none flashy positions. While I have been one of Ballards biggest supporters, even I cannot deny that he has too often over looked two critical areas or struck out in them. WR and CB being the two I am talking about. 

Everyone pretty much agrees that team this year has gotten embarrassed. However, I’m not so sure our roster is complete trash like some like to claim. We definitely need more depth and better starters at CB. WRs, well Downs is a stud. Pittman, he’s just not a guy who’s a threat to take over a game. Pierce, he’s up and down but in his second year with 4 QBs, it’s very hard to judge. 

a lot of people point towards pass rush as a need, I don’t think so. We currently are tied for the league lead with sacks and 3rd with total pressures per snap per nfl dot com.  We also have the most strip sacks and fumbles caused.  All that with blitzing the second least amount of times in the league. We need to blitz more but I think the reason we haven’t is we lack the coverage CBs and LBs to get that done.

On offense, we’re ranked 6th best offense overall,6th in touchdowns scored, 1st in points per game, 10th in passing yards total, 8th in rushing yards total , 6th in rush ypc. 4th in total rush touchdowns. We weren’t even top 20 in any of those categories a year ago on offense. And we have face 3 of the top 5 Defenses over the last few weeks. Clearly the roster isn’t a dumpster fire as some of you claim. 

all that said, we still have work to do as our record speaks for itself.

Ballard and Shane clearly have fixed the Offense,  need to fix the Defense this year, get AR back and we should be contending again. 

IF and I mean IF we land a top ten pick after all this, my focus if I were Ballard would be finding that game changer at WR or a super stud at TE that can block and catch, course we’d need to actually use a TE as a receiver to warrant that. We need a game changer on Offense. Then in the second round, I’m grabbing the best CB available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You’re not going to have elite players at every position in football. This isn’t the NBA where you just wave around enough cash to buy a championship like Miami did years ago. 

but let’s go to the Peyton Manning days. I bet most on here couldn’t name the entire starting Offense or the entire starting defense. In the year we won the Super Bowl, who was elite? Marvin, Reggie, Peyton, Bob Sanders. Freeney and Mathis. Maybe Saturday and Bethea if you stretch it. That was it. The rest were good to average starters. Now the big difference is the positions of elite players. There’s no arguing that Ballard has focused on the none flashy positions. While I have been one of Ballards biggest supporters, even I cannot deny that he has too often over looked two critical areas or struck out in them. WR and CB being the two I am talking about. 

Everyone pretty much agrees that team this year has gotten embarrassed. However, I’m not so sure our roster is complete trash like some like to claim. We definitely need more depth and better starters at CB. WRs, well Downs is a stud. Pittman, he’s just not a guy who’s a threat to take over a game. Pierce, he’s up and down but in his second year with 4 QBs, it’s very hard to judge. 

a lot of people point towards pass rush as a need, I don’t think so. We currently are tied for the league lead with sacks and 3rd with total pressures per snap per nfl dot com.  We also have the most strip sacks and fumbles caused.  All that with blitzing the second least amount of times in the league. We need to blitz more but I think the reason we haven’t is we lack the coverage CBs and LBs to get that done.

On offense, we’re ranked 6th best offense overall,6th in touchdowns scored, 1st in points per game, 10th in passing yards total, 8th in rushing yards total , 6th in rush ypc. 4th in total rush touchdowns. We weren’t even top 20 in any of those categories a year ago on offense. And we have face 3 of the top 5 Defenses over the last few weeks. Clearly the roster isn’t a dumpster fire as some of you claim. 

all that said, we still have work to do as our record speaks for itself.

Ballard and Shane clearly have fixed the Offense,  need to fix the Defense this year, get AR back and we should be contending again. 

IF and I mean IF we land a top ten pick after all this, my focus if I were Ballard would be finding that game changer at WR or a super stud at TE that can block and catch, course we’d need to actually use a TE as a receiver to warrant that. We need a game changer on Offense. Then in the second round, I’m grabbing the best CB available. 

Seriously a TE with a top 10 pick after all the TE’s we have drafted the last few years.    That’s nuts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Seriously a TE with a top 10 pick after all the TE’s we have drafted the last few years.    That’s nuts.

Only IF there’s a game changer there. Which I don’t think there is. When I say game changer, I’m talking about a guy that can get open and make catches and blocks etc. a travis Kelsie type Te

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Bowers?

If we land a top 10 pick, which it may look like we do at the moment (currently we have the 7th pick) I hope we go EDGE og CB, as those positions are our biggest need going forward.

If we end up with a top 3-5 pick, which I don't think, but if we do, I hope Ballard go all in on landing Marvin Harrison Jr by trading up, as he would just be to good of an offensive player to not at least try to get our hands on.

It would cost us draft capital, but we need to get an offensive playmaker that can help AR and JT. 

Pittman is okay, but not great... Harrison just looks to be on another level, so again, if we have the chance to get him and it won't cost us too much of course.

But theoretically it would go like this. (and please correct me if im wrong)

IF Colts have #5 pick in 2024 = 1500 draft pick value

2nd round pick = 530 draft pick value

1+2 = 2030 ( that might not be enough, as Harrison likely will be a top 2-3 pick, which would cost 2200 for the #3 pick and staggering 2600 for the 2nd pick.

So if we trade up for him, it would cost our #1st round pick, #2nd round and at least another 2#pick or a good player or another future draft pick, just to get to him.

I know, this is all speculative.

Regarding Bowers... he looks good, but is he a difference maker and that much better than what we already got at TE? 

Im not sure about that.

And again... right now, I would rather go EDGE or CB if we end up with a top 10 pick come 2024 draft.

23 hours ago, csmopar said:

However, I’m not so sure our roster is complete trash like some like to claim. 

Agreed.

Even with Minshew, with a burner who can catch and another stud Corner back; this is a different team.

And both of those can be found in the first two rounds next year; and quality talent at either of those positions can produce as rookies.

This. Team. In. Not. Far. Away.

9 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

If we land a top 10 pick, which it may look like we do at the moment (currently we have the 7th pick) I hope we go EDGE og CB, as those positions are our biggest need going forward.

If we end up with a top 3-5 pick, which I don't think, but if we do, I hope Ballard go all in on landing Marvin Harrison Jr by trading up, as he would just be to good of an offensive player to not at least try to get our hands on.

It would cost us draft capital, but we need to get an offensive playmaker that can help AR and JT. 

Pittman is okay, but not great... Harrison just looks to be on another level, so again, if we have the chance to get him and it won't cost us too much of course.

But theoretically it would go like this. (and please correct me if im wrong)

IF Colts have #5 pick in 2024 = 1500 draft pick value

2nd round pick = 530 draft pick value

1+2 = 2030 ( that might not be enough, as Harrison likely will be a top 2-3 pick, which would cost 2200 for the #3 pick and staggering 2600 for the 2nd pick.

So if we trade up for him, it would cost our #1st round pick, #2nd round and at least another 2#pick or a good player or another future draft pick, just to get to him.

I know, this is all speculative.

Regarding Bowers... he looks good, but is he a difference maker and that much better than what we already got at TE? 

Im not sure about that.

And again... right now, I would rather go EDGE or CB if we end up with a top 10 pick come 2024 draft.

Ultimately it depends on where we end up with and who’s a head of us. And if those teams need a QB

• Like 1

I would seriously take a QB if there was an actual accurate throwing QB and not a project that runs and you think you can teach him how to throw the ball.  Mark my words, Richardson will be a bust as an accurate passing QB. He will get his runs and hit a long pass once awhile, but think of a better running Justin Fields.  Bust.  Since they likely won't be able to resign Minshew who likely will want to go somewhere with a chance to start, I would like to see the Colts get someone like J.J. McCarthy, Bo Nix, or, if lucky, Drake Maye.  No Richardson or Mitch Trubisky types, please.

16 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I would seriously take a QB if there was an actual accurate throwing QB and not a project that runs and you think you can teach him how to throw the ball.  Mark my words, Richardson will be a bust as an accurate passing QB. He will get his runs and hit a long pass once awhile, but think of a better running Justin Fields.  Bust.  Since they likely won't be able to resign Minshew who likely will want to go somewhere with a chance to start, I would like to see the Colts get someone like J.J. McCarthy, Bo Nix, or, if lucky, Drake Maye.  No Richardson or Mitch Trubisky types, please.

Question: If we had a guy who hit on say 68% of his throws for 4000 yards and 35 TDs, would you be happy? What if AR turns out to be a 60% accuracy QB who gets around 3000 yards and 23 TDs, but runs for a 1000 yards and 12 TDs on top of that - why is example 1 better than example 2?

On 10/30/2023 at 8:17 AM, stitches said:

Grover Stewart

Anthony Walker

Quenton Nelson

Shaq Leonard

Braden Smith

Zaire Franklin

Bobby Okereke

EJ Speed

MPJ

Jonathan Taylor

Isaiah Rodgers

Rodney Thomas

Josh downs

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I have a feeling we are going to regret passing on Levis.

On 10/30/2023 at 9:13 AM, DougDew said:

He just hasnt hit big on a QB, WR or edge and yeah its hurt the team. The best teams have stars at least at some of those positions 

I dont think we passed on any qbs that went on to be great though, we just have not been in position in the draft and the best free agents chose elsewhere.  We did pass on some WRs that became pretty good

As for edge we did pass on Tj watt very early in CB's tenure. Thats who i wanted at the time but there wasnt much noise about him around here at all.  He was also more of a 3-4 during the very year we wanted to switch to 4-3

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He just hasnt hit big on a QB, WR or edge and yeah its hurt the team. The best teams have stars at least at some of those positions 

I dont think we passed on any qbs that went on to be great though, we just have not been in position in the draft and the best free agents chose elsewhere.  We did pass on some WRs that became pretty good

As for edge we did pass on Tj watt very early in CB's tenure. Thats who i wanted at the time but there wasnt much noise about him around here at all.  He was also more of a 3-4 during the very year we wanted to switch to 4-3

Agreed.

It took Polian many years to find that valued 3T needed for the Tampa 2....Warren Sapp like guy.  He had a shot at drafting John Henderson, who went to TEN, but he was more of a 5T.  Each year, I would look for 3Ts that the Colts could take at their draft position.  Never a player available.  He even traded for Cory Simon, who somehow decided to immediately get too fat to have a football career.

IIRC, the only 3T of any value that Polian passed over was Geno Atkins....and he went in the 3rd round to CIN, so its not like 31 other GMs didn't pass him over about twice.

Then BP was able to trade for Booger when Tampa made him available, and then we went to the SB.

Sometimes the draft doesn't fall right for many years, but that was only one guy BP was looking for.  Ballard has missed about 3 or 4 positions for 7 years, so its not all just bad luck.

19 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

After this season and last year with the Eagles, who in the hell is going to want Minshew to be their starter?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Never_Quit said:

That would be the actual worst.

To be honest, I didn't like Levis... why? 

I honestly can't tell why, I just didn't like him and his attitude.

I think many in here fell in love with AR because of how he handled himself and the way he spoke to the media, and of course, how he performed at the combine, where he just dominated many drills.

But the tape on him... well, compared to many other QB´s he didn't have much to show.

Can he become a good QB... absolutely... but he needs to stay on the field.

Next year we have a "Rookie" as our starting QB, as this season in my opinion don't count due to the injuries he got in what... 3 and half game!!

So lets say he comes back next year and gets hurt again with another freak injury... then what? 

I like AR, I do, but I just don't trust him.

and Levis... man he looked good in his first game.

On 10/17/2023 at 7:48 AM, DougDew said:

We will be staring JT, so our run game will go back to running into the pile for a 1 yard gain.   Since JT will surpass Moss as the starter because of contract, we'll probably go 3 and 8.

I think that TE Brock Bowers will get open more often in the NFL than MJH jr.

I think we could draft Bowers as a WR instead of TE.  The consensus on him is he is a big bodied WR being used as a TE.  

• Like 1