Who To Take At #34? [Mega merge]

SilentHill

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We dont need everything.

For example..Stephen Hill is a big time prospect..so is Coby Fleener..

But we need a TE...Hill would sit and watch like Jerry Hughes

Hill is BPA...Fleener is need.

I would argue that WR is a need too. Not near as great as TE, however. I view WR as more of a future need. You make a great point though.

But we dont have ANY pass catching tight ends..

Not ANY..

NEED trumps BPA....as New England showed us all Thursday

But is TE more of a need than DT?

For the record, I've been blowin Fleener's horn for 3 months. (that sounded kinda gross).

i want Jenkins, Fleener, or Glenn, Upshaw reminds me of when we picked hughes, he was a mid frirst rd prospect but slid, maybe he had no real position? maybe hes just not that good, but i dont want him

IMO CB and TE are arguably our 2 biggest needs, first Jenkins, hes talent wise, the second best CB n the draft, but has red flags, we need a great man corner, especially after jacksonville drafted Blackmon and Tenn drafted Wright

secondly, we are very very thin at TE, Fleener would be a huge upgrade and from what i have been reading on him lately, hes bigger, faster and stronger than Gronk and already has chemistry with Luck, would be a great addition

and lastly, Glenn would be a beast OLman for us and instantly upgrade out line, protecting Luck and improving our run game

i would have loved Hill here, hes huge fast and has potential to be a stud #1 WR but hes still a project, and lets face it, we wont be very good this year and we can get a legit #1 WR next year, someone like Woods out of USC

Lot of good stuff still left for us in the 2nd. I agree Cordy Glenn would be the smart move, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams take him. I think Jenkins wouldn't be very smart, I bet there is a good chance he is still there for the 3rd. Another guy I wouldn't mind is Peter Konz, this team still needs a long term solution for center. As far as Fleener goes, there is a good chance, but I would rather take a TE later. I wouldn't mind it as this team needs a TE and it wouldn't be reaching, but there is still better talent available.

I want to draft Fleener as much as the next man, but I do not want to reach. TBH, a lot of teams feel set at the TE so I'm hoping we draft JJ and fleener slides to us or we trade some later picks to get him. Picking a TE with a 2nd round pick is pushing it.

EDIT: Gleen or JJ and I will be happy.

Lets see........

We had an awesome franchise QB for a few years.....

Of the 15 years, we got to the SB twice but we lost in the playoffs many many years........

With the best QB that this generation has ever seen, we should have been to the Super Bowl

6 or 7 times in those 15 years

Why werent we?

We couldnt run and we couldnt stop the run

Guess what..... We have a new franchise QB

There is no amazing DT available at the 34 spot that Will make that difference........

However guards like hutchenson, Nicks, and others have proven that a guard that has that

Skill can help you get there

As pointed out........ That guy is there ( if we dont get scooped)

Take glenn.... We will be able to run the ball......

True but DHB never had hands, plus Hill has shown significant improvement in his route running, which he really only started this year because of the offense he was in. Plus what actually wowed me in the combine wasnt his size or speed, it was his hands. He not only caught everything (including the diving catch) but he caught it cleanly. Showed that he has very strong hands. That mixed with his measurable's, which are off the charts to say the least. With some good coaching and hard work this man could become a dominate WR in this league.

I have a feeling Glenn will go to the Rams because they need to protect Bradford so in my mind that leaves it between Fleener and Hill. I consider Fleener a late 2nd round talent thats been pushed up due to weak talent at his position. And Hill a early 2nd. So there is more value and much more potential in Hill.

If catching balls when it doesn't count, or against no defenders, is in any way a measure of a wide receiver's skills, wouldn't Aaron Moorehead have been a consistent pro-bowler? And if you want to suggest that coaching and hard work will suffice to give Hill the route running and body positioning skills he sorely lacks, do you really want to draft a project in the 2nd round?

I get that everybody loves him, I'll root for him if he's drafted, and I'll hope with everything I am that he proves me wrong... but I'm just not buying the hype.

Actually, from what I've seen, after Fleener, there is a pretty big dropoff in talent. Meanwhile Offensive linemen is insanely deep and can be added later on.

Not true at all. There are still guys like Allen and Charles. Teams are going to be looking to fill hole they truly need. OL, DB, and WR. Which we all need. Which teams needs a TE? The Giants? I don't see three TEs being picked this round so we have a shot at a still very good TE next round. Guys like Jenkins, Hill, and Glenn won't be there. You need to fill core positions first. TE isn't at the top of "core" position. I would take a RB, which we need, over a TE.

The Ravens have two 2nd round picks I say we swap our 34 for their 35 and grab theIr 60th pick. They want Upshaw, we can still get Fleener, Jenkins, or whoever with that 35th pick

They may be salivating over Glenn more than Upshaw, IMO.

With so many possible choices to choose from, it could be an option to trade down a few spots and pick up extra picks later this year or next.

On a different angle, I wonder if there is a way to trade Freeny and a 3rd round pick to get an extra pick in the 2nd round???

If we are the "new Colts" I think we need to take the defensive BPA. I agree that we could use OL and TE help but as the "new Colts" I think D needs to be more of a priority. And as a UF alumnus I would love Jenkins pick because he's a great corner but he's a zone guy. He reminds me of a much more physical version of Asante Samuel. I've watched him for years cover the likes of AJ Green and Julio Jones. He's nice but as a man press guy he's not what you want.

We need NT more than any other position. If there is a highly graded NT we should take him and run!!!

ALL THINGS RUNNING GAME.

We cannot stop the run.

We cannot run.

Those are the two most fundamental things in football.

With or without peyton manning we need to stop the run and run the ball.

I would say that means take all things to help the running game first. The take all things to stop the run second.

Those two things ARE weapons for any quarterback.

If we are the "new Colts" I think we need to take the defensive BPA. I agree that we could use OL and TE help but as the "new Colts" I think D needs to be more of a priority. And as a UF alumnus I would love Jenkins pick because he's a great corner but he's a zone guy. He reminds me of a much more physical version of Asante Samuel. I've watched him for years cover the likes of AJ Green and Julio Jones. He's nice but as a man press guy he's not what you want.

We need NT more than any other position. If there is a highly graded NT we should take him and run!!!

That is why Upshaw vs Glenn is the battle for the No.34 pick, IMO, more than Hill or Fleener.

Playmakers don't matter if the QB has no time to throw to them and is on his back before we all blink.

I agree, but good QB play also masks a less than perfect OL. A balance is needed and I would prefer to go with a WR/Fleener, pass rusher, DT, or CB. The Colts would be leaning in the direction of over drafting OL in the early rounds if they go that direction, imo.

It is like a great pitching beating out great hitting, great serve beating out great return of serve in tennis. If you have no O-line protection that comes first, I dont care what targets you have there, you are going to fail.

See my point above. Great OL play doesn't mask weak skill position play either.

I don't completely disagree. But the Colts have playmakers in Wayne and Collie, a potential deep threat playmaker in Avery and a very deep WR class. In addition the differences between a TE like Fleener and someone like say Hanna, IMO are very minimal.

Lastly I do see a couple of defenders that are possibilities in Worthy(DE), Still (DT) and Robinson at CB and it wouldn't be horrible if the Colts took them.

Wayne is a solid, possession receiver, which is much needed, but he is not a game changer/consistent big play guy at this point in his career. I like Collie as well, but he thrives in the slot and I don't trust Avery as anything more than depth with upside.

A player like Hill has game changer potential. I'm not sold on Fleener either, but I would prefer him over Glenn. I like the names you mentioned for D.

The Jags, Titans, and Texans all finally collectively drafted potential play makers, and the Colts need to follow suit or they will be in the same position those teams were for the last decade---watching from the bottom of the division. A team is about balance and I just don't want to see the Colts put too much worth on the OL.

If catching balls when it doesn't count, or against no defenders, is in any way a measure of a wide receiver's skills, wouldn't Aaron Moorehead have been a consistent pro-bowler? And if you want to suggest that coaching and hard work will suffice to give Hill the route running and body positioning skills he sorely lacks, do you really want to draft a project in the 2nd round?

I get that everybody loves him, I'll root for him if he's drafted, and I'll hope with everything I am that he proves me wrong... but I'm just not buying the hype.

Turn on the tape. You can see his catching ability there as well, not just the combine. Like I said he has improved his route running a lot just since the combine. Id put him in the middle of the pack in that area now. With his athleticism through the roof. I can see the comparison to Troy Williamson and DHB because thats what I thought at first as well. But now Id compare him closer to Julio Jones. Great talent in the wrong offense.

The biggest question I have with Fleener, is he that much better than the other TEs or is it just because of where he played? If he is an excellent blocker and receiver than it might be worth it. But usually you can find solid TE talent in the 4th round.

The biggest question I have with Fleener, is he that much better than the other TEs or is it just because of where he played? If he is an excellent blocker and receiver than it might be worth it. But usually you can find solid TE talent in the 4th round.

Supposedly he's not terrible at blocking but not a double threat either.

That's fine as long as our Guards and tackles can dominate.

If we can somehow get Glenn and Fleener...

Man the 1st round could not have gone any better for us in terms of players available with this pick. Im sitll in disbelief at all the reaches (Tannehill :loco: , Wilson, McClellin, Irving , Wright, Weeden :loco: )

Hill, Adams, Fleener, Martin, Randle...man there is some serious offensive talent still there for us. Even if the Rams take one of these guys were sitting pretty.

With that said I hope we land Hill but I have a feeling the Rams are going to snag him.

Turn on the tape. You can see his catching ability there as well, not just the combine. Like I said he has improved his route running a lot just since the combine. Id put him in the middle of the pack in that area now. With his athleticism through the roof. I can see the comparison to Troy Williamson and DHB because thats what I thought at first as well. But now Id compare him closer to Julio Jones. Great talent in the wrong offense.

I've watched his games. What I've seen is someone who should be wide open and should have more incontested receptions because of his speed and size. What I've seen are balls that seem like amazing catches that should've been hohum, and bat-aways that should have been catches if he ran he correct routes and positioned himself correctly.

Lets see........

We had an awesome franchise QB for a few years.....

Of the 15 years, we got to the SB twice but we lost in the playoffs many many years........

With the best QB that this generation has ever seen, we should have been to the Super Bowl

6 or 7 times in those 15 years

Why werent we?

Guess what..... We have a new franchise QB

There is no amazing DT available at the 34 spot that Will make that difference........

However guards like hutchenson, Nicks, and others have proven that a guard that has that

Skill can help you get there

As pointed out........ That guy is there ( if we dont get scooped)

Take glenn.... We will be able to run the ball......

We didn't have trouble running the ball until 2008. The first ten years of Manning's career, we were an above average running team.

With so many possible choices to choose from, it could be an option to trade down a few spots and pick up extra picks later this year or next.

On a different angle, I wonder if there is a way to trade Freeny and a 3rd round pick to get an extra pick in the 2nd round???

There is not a way. People are viewing Freeney as this in-demand commodity when I am quite certain that potential trading partners don't hold him in nearly that high regard. He is aging, he has a healthy contract and he is one dimensional. Those are not facts that have teams lining up to part with quality picks in return.