Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who To Take At #34? [Mega merge]

SilentHill

I would add DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw but only if we are intent on trading Freeney and getting something like a 4th or future 3rd or 2nd for him.

Upshaw wants to play for the Colts, and would be a perfect fit here since we are looking to get bigger and more physical.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think taking a offensive lineman with this pick is a terrible call. Skill position players and pass rushers win in today's NFL. Two OL were drafted with the first two picks last year...if Glenn is picked, that's 3 OL out of the last 4 first and second round picks. Do you want to look like the Del Rio Jags? This team needs play makers on both sides of the football more than a guard.

I would add DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw but only if we are intent on trading Freeney and getting something like a 4th or future 3rd or 2nd for him.

Upshaw wants to play for the Colts, and would be a perfect fit here since we are looking to get bigger and more physical.

I don't see any way Freeney is back after this year anyway, so I'm not really sure he should factor into the conversation in terms of taking Upshaw.

When Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham were UDFA and 3rd round signings, no one thought they would produce as well. Do you think Brees would have the time to find and spread the ball around to nearly 10 targets every game if he did not have that pocket provided by Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks? I think not.

When the Chargers had O-line issues due to injuries and had VJax, Floyd and Gates, did that help with Rivers' production last year? They had the weapons, but not the time to protect Rivers and up went the INTs.

The outside WR or OL will be on the field for more downs. If another team offers you a future 1st rounder and their 2nd like the Falcons, I would trade out of No.34 for that.

Rome was not built in a day, us Colts fans need to be patient for a couple of drafts. David Patten and Deion Branch – yes, the no name wideouts that Pats fans keep bringing up. Pats relied on O-line to get them to play any style of O. Brady wins the last 2 AFCCG in 2007 & 2011 vs the Chargers & Ravens respectively DESPITE throwing 5 picks and just 2 TDs thanks to his O-line being able to run against the top of the league Ds in the 2007 Chargers and 2011 Ravens.

I dont hate Fleener. I just think that we might be able to get his production for the limited downs he will be on the field as a receiving TE and at best a weakside run blocker with a receiving TE like Michael Egnew or Ladarius Green.

I think taking a offensive lineman with this pick is a terrible call. Skill position players and pass rushers win in today's NFL. Two OL were drafted with the first two picks last year...if Glenn is picked, that's 3 OL out of the last 4 first and second round picks. Do you want to look like the Del Rio Jags? This team needs play makers on both sides of the football more than a guard.

Playmakers don't matter if the QB has no time to throw to them and is on his back before we all blink.

Its appeared to me that they are building this team around D - so I wouldn't be surprised with Jenkins. They could try to make the LB core deeper too - grab Upshaw or David out of Nebraska.

I think giving Luck some protection would be nice though! Instead of Glenn, I could see them going with Jonathan Martin - already has experience protecting Luck.

I don't see any way Freeney is back after this year anyway, so I'm not really sure he should factor into the conversation in terms of taking Upshaw.

The reason I put Freeney into the discussion of this is because we dont need Upshaw sitting on the bench for a year. I think he can start right away at OLB alongside Mathis. So why not get something for Freeney before he walks after this year?

Its appeared to me that they are building this team around D - so I wouldn't be surprised with Jenkins. They could try to make the LB core deeper too - grab Upshaw or David out of Nebraska.

I think giving Luck some protection would be nice though! Instead of Glenn, I could see them going with Jonathan Martin - already has experience protecting Luck.

and David Shaw has experience coaching Luck but that doesn't mean we should hire him! lol. Glenn is clearly the better of the two guards. I still think Upshaw represents the best value. I won't be upset to get Glenn. If it's neither of those guys...trade back.

It is like a great pitching beating out great hitting, great serve beating out great return of serve in tennis. If you have no O-line protection that comes first, I dont care what targets you have there, you are going to fail.

The reason I put Freeney into the discussion of this is because we dont need Upshaw sitting on the bench for a year. I think he can start right away at OLB alongside Mathis. So why not get something for Freeney before he walks after this year?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the notion of trading Freeney, I'm merely stating that having him on the roster shouldn't be an impediment to taking Upshaw.

Hearing a lot of chatter about Upshaw this morning. Apparently many figure that Baltimore is eyeing him, but Baltimore feels their 'ol Pagano is chomping at the bit to nab him.

and David Shaw has experience coaching Luck but that doesn't mean we should hire him! lol. Glenn is clearly the better of the two guards. I still think Upshaw represents the best value. I won't be upset to get Glenn. If it's neither of those guys...trade back.

What do we gain by drafting Upshaw if we keep Freeney? A backup, thats the answer. I think our first 4 picks have to be starters from day one. BPA is a nice company line every team says, but there are just times when you have to take BPA at a position of need.

Rah rah rah, if the Colts don't pick what I want, I'll be mad. That's what all this sounds like.

My only thought at our next pick is that Janoris Jenkins will be off the field in no time due to being an immature *. If the Colts can acquire another couple of picks and get him later in the 2nd, it'd make more sense than drafting him at 34, which is a very prime pick for us, with multiple talents sitting there who actually have a good head on their shoulders, there is so much more we could get there than just a talented guy.

That said, if they end up drafting Jenkins, I wouldn't be upset. I just hope if they do, they can keep him on the straight and narrow.

I like Glenn too. We have the first pick in round 3 to address WR/TE. There is not much of a fall off from Hill/Fleener to what we would get there. However, at the top of Round 3 there is no offensive lineman even CLOSE to Glenn. It is possible we trade back a few spots and see who is left. I imagine several several teams looking to move up to take him. Baltimore even possibly. To me..if we want Fleener we should try to trade back a couple spots. Baltimore would definately take Glenn. Denver is looking at DT. Cleveland at WR. To me we could move back possibly 4 or 5 picks and still get Fleener and if someone takes him we still would have players like Randle, Worthy, Hill, Martin, Jenkins, and Upshaw available if we didn't.

BPAs

RB:

Lamar Miller

WR:

Alshon Jeffrey

Reuben Randle

Stephen Hill

TE: 

Coby Fleener, TE

OT: 

Jonathan Martin

Mike Adams

OG:

Cordy Glenn

Kelechi Osemele

Amini Silatolu

OC:

Peter Konz

DE/OLB:

Courtney Upshaw

Vinny Curry

DT:

Jerel Worthy

Devon Still

Kendall Reyes

CB: 

Janoris Jenkins

Do we look at Fleener if we kept Manning or took another QB? Probably not. It's a waste when we have bigger needs.

Bob Sanders, Rob Gronkowski, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, DeSean Jackson and a ton others say other words.

I don't get how only having 1 player at a position isn't a big need..

What do we gain by drafting Upshaw if we keep Freeney? A backup, thats the answer. I think our first 4 picks have to be starters from day one. BPA is a nice company line every team says, but there are just times when you have to take BPA at a position of need.

A starter next year at a crucial position? Freeney's gone next year, regardless.

I'm struggling with brain farts this morning...

yes I meant Georgia.

I usually prefer to fact check, but got lazy. This is why. Bites me in the lower cheeks every time. I still contend Fleener wouldn't be an early 2nd rounder in most years.

Its not that Cordy Glenn isnt a beast which he is its just soooo much depth in quality Offensive lineman thats left that i listed to get later. plus tendancies of teams drafting a quarterback first round 9 times outta 10 draft a offensive weapon with their next pick ex.(Stafford-Saffold, Flacco-Ray Rice, Andy Dalton-AJ Green, etc)

I don't get how only having 1 player at a position isn't a big need..

Seeing how TE are late rounders compared to others, Fleener is not the only quality player at that position. Not one TE was taken so far. Other positions are starting to dwindle in the draft.

Cordy Glenn would go a long way for solidifying the O-line for years to come. Im not a huge fan of taking a guard this early but I certainly could not argue if he's the pick. Although, I could see the Rams snatching him up.

I don't see a problem with it. He's a mid-1st level talent that we can pick in the 2nd round. There aren't a whole lot of better values than that. Now, on the other hand, picking Fleener, who is arguably a 2-3 round talent.... that's a problem.

Remember, all 32 teams already passed up on the guy. I'm betting they finally had another look at his game tape.

A starter next year at a crucial position? Freeney's gone next year, regardless.

Maybe, but then we should wait and take an OLB next yr.. There will be plenty available next yr. too. I don't think the Colts are in the position to be drafting for next yr.. We need guys that will contribute right away, espesially from a 2nd rd. pick.

So, these guys slid out of the 1st round:

Coby Fleener-TE

Cordy Glenn-OT/G

Johnathan Martin-OT

Janoris Jenkis-CB

Courtney Upshaw-LB

Stephen Hill-WR

Alshon Jeffrey-WR

Where do you think we'll go next?

Only Glenn & Upshaw were definite slides.

Jeffrey definitely wasn't a slide.

The rest were questionable.

Maybe, but then we should wait and take an OLB next yr.. There will be plenty available next yr. too. I don't think the Colts are in the position to be drafting for next yr.. We need guys that will contribute right away, espesially from a 2nd rd. pick.

Honestly, I'm not worried about contributing right away.

We're not winning it all next year, so let's accumulate as much talent as we can for future years. BPA.

We don't know if Freeney will be around. Also, players changing positions are not uncommon. He could play DE in one package, OLB in another. There is nothing wrong with depth. We aren't going to fix this in one year...when a guy like Upshaw falls to you...it's something you MUST consider.

Its not that Cordy Glenn isnt a beast which he is its just soooo much depth in quality Offensive lineman thats left that i listed to get later. plus tendancies of teams drafting a quarterback first round 9 times outta 10 draft a offensive weapon with their next pick ex.(Stafford-Saffold, Flacco-Ray Rice, Andy Dalton-AJ Green, etc)

Looks like your turn to be off on facts... :)

I think you meant Bradford and Saffold, but Saffold is an O lineman... like Glenn.

"then we should wait and take a(n) insert position here next yr" argument is worthless. We need a lot of things. Best Player Available. Don't pass on talent.

I don't see a problem with it. He's a mid-1st level talent that we can pick in the 2nd round. There aren't a whole lot of better values than that. Now, on the other hand, picking Fleener, who is arguably a 2-3 round talent.... that's a problem.

Remember, all 32 teams already passed up on the guy. I'm betting they finally had another look at his game tape.

You dont invite a player to New York for the draft to be in the green room if he wasnt a 1st round talent..