Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who To Take At #34? [Mega merge]

SilentHill

Honestly, I'm not worried about contributing right away.

We're not winning it all next year, so let's accumulate as much talent as we can for future years. BPA.

I know were not going anywhere this yr., but we need guys that can come in and gain valuable experience this season.

We don't know if Freeney will be around. Also, players changing positions are not uncommon. He could play DE in one package, OLB in another. There is nothing wrong with depth. We aren't going to fix this in one year...when a guy like Upshaw falls to you...it's something you MUST consider.

If I was even a little bit convinced the Colts could find a willing taker for Freeney, I would be all for Upshaw, but I think were stuck with him and I don't like the idea of picking backups with a top 2nd rd. pick. Don't make sense to me.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, prior to seeing who was there, I've been kind of hoping we get a Fleener or Hill to up our passing weapons.

But the reality is, a mauler like this would improve both the passing game AND the running game. If he's there, I have nothing but excitement if they select him. I'd be excited about others as well, but Glenn would improve our overall offense immensely, IMO.

I know were not going anywhere this yr., but we need guys that can come in and gain valuable experience this season.

There's a lot more than can be learned M-Sat than there is just on Sundays (where I'd guess he'd still see good time as a rotational player).

Seeing how TE are late rounders compared to others, Fleener is not the only quality player at that position. Not one TE was taken so far. Other positions are starting to dwindle in the draft.

Actually, from what I've seen, after Fleener, there is a pretty big dropoff in talent. Meanwhile Offensive linemen is insanely deep and can be added later on.

Aside from the fact that not all 32 teams picked, you can say that about every single player left, lol.

That's true, to an extent. But Cordy Glenn has consistently been ranked high into that range. Fleener, by all accounts, was judged to be a 2nd-3rd talent until his combine performance. But as we all know, it's your game tape that matters more than anything else.

Is Fleener really any different from the tight ends we just got rid of? He's primarily a receiving tight end with average to below-average blocking capability. I thought Pagano and Grigson got rid of Clark and let Tamme walk because they didn't fit the new scheme they're trying to install. If Fleener is being advertised as essentially the same kind of tight end you just said you didn't want, why would you draft him? If that's the case, they should've just re-signed Tamme and used this 2nd round pick to address other areas of need. I' m not understanding why it's such a sure thing to grab Fleener, outside of him already being Luck's teammate. That's not enough of a reason to draft him, IMO......

If I was even a little bit convinced the Colts could find a willing taker for Freeney, I would be all for Upshaw, but I think were stuck with him and I don't like the idea of picking backups with a top 2nd rd. pick. Don't make sense to me.

I don't think he'll be a backup. But if anyone should know the value of having (or not having in our case) a good backup...it's an Indianapolis Colts fan.

Is Fleener really any different from the tight ends we just got rid of? He's primarily a receiving tight end with average to below-average blocking capability. I thought Pagano and Grigson got rid of Clark and let Tamme walk because they didn't fit the new scheme they're trying to install. If Fleener is being advertised as essentially the same kind of tight end you just said you didn't want, why would you draft him? If that's the case, they should've just re-signed Tamme and used this 2nd round pick to address other areas of need. I' m not understanding why it's such a sure thing to grab Fleener, outside of him already being Luck's teammate. That's not enough of a reason to draft him, IMO......

Clark was hurt past two years and Tamme didnt want to resign with us plain and simple

If he's talented enough.

Freeney and Hughes could be gone next year.

A lot of edge rushers should be in the draft next year, like Jarvis Jones of Georgia, Sam Montgomery of LSU etc., so we should be able to get our hands on one next year, IMO.

I think taking a offensive lineman with this pick is a terrible call. Skill position players and pass rushers win in today's NFL. Two OL were drafted with the first two picks last year...if Glenn is picked, that's 3 OL out of the last 4 first and second round picks. Do you want to look like the Del Rio Jags? This team needs play makers on both sides of the football more than a guard.

I don't completely disagree. But the Colts have playmakers in Wayne and Collie, a potential deep threat playmaker in Avery and a very deep WR class. In addition the differences between a TE like Fleener and someone like say Hanna, IMO are very minimal.

Lastly I do see a couple of defenders that are possibilities in Worthy(DE), Still (DT) and Robinson at CB and it wouldn't be horrible if the Colts took them.

He also stuggles to seperate, despite his speed and size, because he has awful route running and body control. Look past the highlight reels. His size and speed won't be enough when he is playing against NFL caliber DBs... again, much like DHB.

I'm sure he can be coached-up if need be.You can't coach his athletic ability.We will probably draft Freener if Rams don't trade pick and I would love Fleener as well BUT whoever gets Hill will be very pleased,imo.

Actually, from what I've seen, after Fleener, there is a pretty big dropoff in talent. Meanwhile Offensive linemen is insanely deep and can be added later on.

thank you thats what i been preaching to these guys the whole time i even gave them a list of offensive lineman projected in rounds 1-3 still availabe and its like 10 of them left

I would add DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw but only if we are intent on trading Freeney and getting something like a 4th or future 3rd or 2nd for him.

Upshaw wants to play for the Colts, and would be a perfect fit here since we are looking to get bigger and more physical.

You need to think beyond this year. I think Freeney is done as a Colt after this year if he is actually still on the roster after this weekend. But even still, the Colts need players and if Upshaw is the highest rated guy on their board, you take him regardless of Freeney being on the roster.

Good article about the way the Giants build a team. Had a quote from Reese, their GM, about his methods. Said that fans only look at this year but he looks at this year and 2 years down the road. Perfect example of why Freeney being on the roster this year is meaningless should they want Upshaw.

I'd love to get Glenn but what I am thinking, the rumor is many are trying to move up to draft J Jenkins, should we draft him just to use him as trade bate with someone like New England, I would think someone like the Titans would be looking at him to or Detroit, Houston as well but I would love to get Glenn, honestly though if Fleener is their Im 100 percent sure the Colts will draft him, I like him but obviously not enough to draft him

I don't completely disagree. But the Colts have playmakers in Wayne and Collie, a potential deep threat playmaker in Avery and a very deep WR class. In addition the differences between a TE like Fleener and someone like say Hanna, IMO are very minimal.

Lastly I do see a couple of defenders that are possibilities in Worthy(DE), Still (DT) and Robinson at CB and it wouldn't be horrible if the Colts took them.

Agree to an extent though the talent level I think is better in Fleener to warrant a better round rating than Hanna. I look at Fleener like Aaron Hernandez value in most drafts.

Well rounded TE like Gronk - top of round 2, Gronk is a much better blocker than Graham.

More receiving TE nature than well rounded TE - Graham, Aaron Hernandez all went in round 3.

I am pretty certain we will get good production from a receiving TE in rounds 3 or 4 if we protect our QB well enough.

I'm sure he can be coached-up if need be.You can't coach his athletic ability.We will probably draft Freener if Rams don't trade pick and I would love Fleener as well BUT whoever gets Hill will be very pleased,imo.

I'm thinking the Rams will stay put so they can have their pick of the many good O-lineman on the board (they desperately need OL help). I am hearing so much chatter about extreme interest in trading picks with teams that hold high-end 2nd round picks, however. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we trade down. I actually expect it at this point.

I have a hard time believing that Pagano would want to unload Freeney. He may not have a choice considering the price tag, but I would think he's pandering to keep him for his first year as HC.

If they got the right price they would trade Freeney in a New York minute. The problems with that are many - his age, his contract and the fact that the rest of the league knows this as well so the price the want may not be the price they get.

It is like a great pitching beating out great hitting, great serve beating out great return of serve in tennis. If you have no O-line protection that comes first, I dont care what targets you have there, you are going to fail.

I do agree with and, I think most people who have read me over the years know that I consider offensive line the ONLY skill positions (everybody else are just the glory boys taking advantage of the online's hard work). And I would like to see the Colts draft Glenn, but I disagree with the notion that without Glenn, the Colts have no one to protect Luck and with Glenn then Luck will remain dirt free. It's not that extreme.

if we draft J Jenkins we can use him as trade bate, it seems some teams want to move up to get him

we have options on our line we have nothing at TE. fleener makes more sense and its more of a need
We can address TE in FA and later in the draft. I don't think we can get a first round T/G without drafting one next year. We have two young linemen last year and adding Glenn would basically mean we have our OL questions answered for years to come and wouldn't have to invest next year or following years and could focus on that elite WR next year. To me there is only a marginal difference from Fleener to Allen or the next TE which would be closer to round 3. What would be left to us later in the draft at OL....projects and guys with much much less talent.
I think taking a offensive lineman with this pick is a terrible call. Skill position players and pass rushers win in today's NFL. Two OL were drafted with the first two picks last year...if Glenn is picked, that's 3 OL out of the last 4 first and second round picks. Do you want to look like the Del Rio Jags? This team needs play makers on both sides of the football more than a guard.
The Jags beat us twice last year and actually have given us the most problems year in and year out of anyone in our division. Just because they have never had a decent qb or basically any wr doesn't mean they didn't have one of the best front 7s and offensive lines in football. Put Luck or Manning behind a great offensive line and they will pick you apart all day long. If Peyton Manning can turn Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie into fantasy football studs and make Blair White and Tamme look relevent and send Dallas Clark to multiple pro bowls then it almost doesn't matter who is catching the ball. Luck will find his receivers if he has time.

If they got the right price they would trade Freeney in a New York minute. The problems with that are many - his age, his contract and the fact that the rest of the league knows this as well so the price the want may not be the price they get.

Agreed. Any chance at 'bottom of the second round' value for Freeney?

I really wouldn't mind trading back like 5 or 6 spots or I still would LOVE to pull off a trade with Philly to swap 34/64 for 46/51 and a 4th. That would be sweet. We could get defense and offense...still get our TE in the 3rd and get another 4th.

We are in a GREAT position with options galore.

Glenn is my first choice, followed by Rueben Randle, Courtney Upshaw, Stephen Hill and THEN Fleener.

If Glenn goes to the Rams or in that spot, then I think we entertain moving down a few spots as all of the players listed above are very valuable pickups. Other players that teams could be enticed to move up for include Janoris Jenkins, Peter Konz, Jerel Worthy, Jonathon Martin and Almeda Ta'amu (I think he would be a perfect fit in Indys new 3-4, though current 2nd is a bit early for him).

If Glenn is gone and we stay put, I like Randle a lot, and think he is not only great value, but fits a huge need. Fleener is good and obviously has a connection with Luck, but a #1 WR trumps a one dimensional TE IMO.

If only we could read Grigson's mind!! The suspense is killing me!

tight end is our most glaring need...

This is perfect

From a number of guys currently filling the position standpoint, you are correct.

However, that doesn't mean the Fleener is the type of TE the FO is looking for, and what WE think isn't as important.

There will be other TEs to fill the position, as it must be filled, but if they're not exactly what the FO envisions going forward, there's always secondary FA and next year.

I won't be upset if we take Fleener, but I won't be upset if we don't either.

Agreed. Any chance at 'bottom of the second round' value for Freeney?

IMO, No. I honestly think that with Freeney's age, albatross of a contract, and the fact thats he's a one dimensional player, a 5th is probably the best they would get.

Agree to an extent though the talent level I think is better in Fleener to warrant a better round rating than Hanna. I look at Fleener like Aaron Hernandez value in most drafts.

Well rounded TE like Gronk - top of round 2, Gronk is a much better blocker than Graham.

More receiving TE nature than well rounded TE - Graham, Aaron Hernandez all went in round 3.

I am pretty certain we will get good production from a receiving TE in rounds 3 or 4 if we protect our QB well enough.

Plus in Grigson's first year as a college scout for the Eagles he found a TE, Celek, in the 7th round (perhaps the 6th) who has become a pretty good starter for the Eagles.

I wuould hope the Colts do what NE did and pick what they need...

Not just the best player available.

With us, it isnt hard because we need everything but QBs. linebackers, kickers and running backs.

But we have one tight end in Brody Eldrigde and he's a glorified O-lineman.

I like him. I want to keep him.

But with 3 WRs of some ability (Wayne. Collie and Avery), the chance to drop a 6-goot-6

'good hands person' (who runs a 4.5) in between them is a blessing...

..and to have him be a friend and playing buddy of the QB we just drafted??

Please...Finally..the Colts get a break.

WE could use another CB and another O-linemen

There may be better players available but they are not EXACTLY what WE NEED.

when you go to the store, you buy what you NEED first and

pioritize other purchases

We can outsmart ourselves. All day...Only buy what we need.