Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who To Take At #34? [Mega merge]

SilentHill

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree. IMO, a solid defense is the best thing you can give a rookie QB. People always say we need to add weapons for Luck, but if he can't ever get on the field to use those weapons, what good are they? Yes, we need to give him some help. There's no doubt about that, but giving him at least a decent defense would be the best gift we could give him.,

But if he can't do anything when he's on the field, whats the point in a good defense?

Upshaw? Could be Freeneys replacement.

I agree...I'd prefer to see us trade down and get some extra picks but I definitely wouldn't be upset with Upshaw. Glenn, Fleener and Stephen Hill would be nice options too but I think I'd pass on Jenkins due to the off-field issues unless the Colts FO are significantly convinced that he's cleaned up his act. I'd be kind of surprised if Jenkins was the pick though but if he is, well, I'll just hope the FO knows what they're doing. :)

I don't agree. IMO, a solid defense is the best thing you can give a rookie QB. People always say we need to add weapons for Luck, but if he can't ever get on the field to use those weapons, what good are they? Yes, we need to give him some help. There's no doubt about that, but giving him at least a decent defense would be the best gift we could give him.,

This ^^^^^

With the DE's we have now, I'd prefer us picking Glenn or Hill. We can draft an OLB next year, if needed. I'm sure we can get a TE later in the draft. Lots of needs, so you take the best available and it's likely to work out.

The BEST thing you give to a rookie QB is a running attack

That comes from having a great OL.

We have an incredible opportunity to take Glenn.

A 345 lb pile pushing monster is within our grasp.

He immediately makes the running backs better

To me...... Of the option available..... Dont think sexy

Think mauler

I really think we should draft jenkins hes the best corner available and theres plenty more talent at tight end and WR....jenkins is top 10 talent and we do not have a shut down corner...he brings that fire we need in a corner and this the first time we would really have a shut fown corner

Both OG Cordy Glenn and WR Stephen Hill are better prospects than Fleener. Luck made Fleener better than he actually is. We can get TE Orson Charles or Ladarius Green in the 4th.

PLEASE NOT HILL!

Hill is exactly the kind of shiny toy that used to drive Al Davis to distraction. I can only hope he doesn't do the same with Grigson. Everyone is getting so mesmerized by his size and speed, they are overlooking the crater-sized holes in his game. He's a lot like DHB, IMO, and how well has that worked out for the Raiders?

I agree that D is a huge need, and I'd want to go NT next, except there are no value picks at that position right now. The next one up is Ta'amu, and he should be available late 2 to early 3. it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they tried to trade back into the 2nd to get him, but pick #34 is flat out too early.

Fleener wouldn't be awful, but IMO, early 2nd is just too soon for a TE. I think there is value later, where Fleener would be a little bit of a reach.

To me, the pick needs to be Cordy Glenn.

If they DO NOT take Fleener here, which is a no brainer so long as he doesn't go to ST louis (which he might), I promise you I will be going absolutely irate for the first time at irsay on twitter (nothing obscene, just let him hear it).

Have to take Fleener here. It's such a perfect fit and marriage it probably won't happen.

The BEST thing you give to a rookie QB is a running attack

That comes from having a great OL.

We have an incredible opportunity to take Glenn.

A 345 lb pile pushing monster is within our grasp.

He immediately makes the running backs better

To me...... Of the option available..... Dont think sexy

Think mauler

I don't disagree with this completely, although like I said I still think a solid D helps a rookie QB tremendously. Glenn is an absolute beast of a man and would be the last piece of the puzzle to our O-line. A good O-line is the key to a successful running game.

Fantastic topic

We can solidify the OL with this pick

EVERYONE on the offense will do better

Having a great, time eating, running attack, will mean less time our defense is on the field.

It makes play action actually work

It will also keep us close in games

No brainer here......... Go large

Pagano said last night that he hears what people say about giving Luck weapons so he can survive and he agreed with them. I think he goes offense on this pick. Either Fleener or Glenn. I like both but if you take Glenn, you kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You enhance pass protection and run blocking because he is so versatile. He also said you have to run the ball and stop the run, so I think Glenn is the pick unless the Rams get him.

I tihnk offensive side of the ball, hopefully a target but I have talked myself out of Hill

Both OG Cordy Glenn and WR Stephen Hill are better prospects than Fleener. Luck made Fleener better than he actually is. We can get TE Orson Charles or Ladarius Green in the 4th.

Kinda like Manning made Clark, Collie, Pierre, Stokely, (pretty much everyone but Marvin/Reggie)....better than they really were. The combo worked well in college, and Fleener is a nightmare matchup with his size and speed. Everyone's so jealous of NE and Gronk/Hernandez, and we have the chance to grab this type of TE!! I don't get it...We have the later rounds to get linemen; if Grigson is worth his salt he'll find the good ones.

Colts have a need at CB in the worst way.

Several good CB's went in the first. I'm wondering if the colts had their eye on any of them? Fleener was my pick some 3 months ago, but at this point he has become too "predictable" of a pick, convincing me that it won't happen.

I was also most interested in seeing if Fleener made it past 1st round. Our O-line was beefed up in off-season - so not as big a priority. I agree the #1 priority is to get the right defensive players for the new system, but to be honest - I don't know who they are. Everyone seems to like Upshaw - and if he is that good should also be motivated by getting passed over in the first round. Our greatest need is at cornerback, but may be able to pick someone up later. If Fleener could be the next great TE - I would still want him. It sounds as though he has the size and speed to be good.

Did you not notice how it helped Tebow, Dalton, Flacco, heck add Big Ben to that.

Taking one player over another in the 2nd round is not going to make our defense nor our offense like Baltimore's, Cincii's or even Denver's. Fleener already has chemistry with a player whose position is something rookie QB's often lean on. It fills a need along with adding talent.

A solid defense would be a great thing, but...... We have too many holes to fill this year on defense to even sniff a "solid" defense

Lets face it..... Even if we went defense on round 2, there is no one avaailable that singularly will make us even average on defense

We are gonna stink on defense, and thats a fact jack.

I would rather fill in the SOLE missing piece on the OL, and have a decent run game, while keeping my frachise rookie QB from getting plastered

Let him learn without a DT draped over his neck

Im just not sold on Fleener. He is an intriguing prospect given his history with Luck, but I just think he is a little overrated. Also don't really understand the Courtney Upshaw talk. He is basically a clone to Freeney and unless the Colts are convinced they can trade him or if they know they are just going to dump him, I don't see the value in the pick. At this point I would take Glenn or trade out of the spot and get more picks.

IMO, I would leave Fleener. Glenn gives the team an immediate return and helps keep Luck upright. If Glenn is not there, I would go with Stephen Hill, WR. Gives the team a number 1 receiving prospect and blocking on running plays. You do not play WR on a run team and not learn to block. That is more then Fleener will give us.

Im just not sold on Fleener. He is an intriguing prospect given his history with Luck, but I just think he is a little overrated. Also don't really understand the Courtney Upshaw talk. He is basically a clone to Freeney and unless the Colts are convinced they can trade him or if they know they are just going to dump him, I don't see the value in the pick. At this point I would take Glenn or trade out of the spot and get more picks.

Given Grigon's history as on OL, I'd believe that we could get good OL talent later on. Some teams are able to draft positions later on and hit quite often on them. I'd hope Grigson's strength and expertise would allow for this to happen.

I watched the whole first round to see if Fleener was avaiable after the first. Now, I think Glenn is the choice (if Rams don't take him) to take since we could use big body moving OL to improve the run game, and give Luck the opportunity to get some weight off his shoulders.

If Rams take Glenn (highly likely) or trade down and someone else takes him, then Fleener is the pick since we only have Eldridge at TE.

We NEED to put weapons around luck and what better way then to get his go to guy fleener. Colts said they wanted fleener if he was available and they will take him. Instant chemistry,security blanket. Going to be a great draft.

IMO, I would leave Fleener. Glenn gives the team an immediate return and helps keep Luck upright. If Glenn is not there, I would go with Stephen Hill, WR. Gives the team a number 1 receiving prospect and blocking on running plays. You do not play WR on a run team and not learn to block. That is more then Fleener will give us.

Meh. I think Hill is going to be another Darius Heyward Bey... all speed and size, with crater sized holes in his game. I know all the experts are all geeked about him, but I'm not buying. He's a shiny toy that will be set aside for something less flashy and more servicable after the initial fascination ebbs.

We NEED to put weapons around luck and what better way then to get his go to guy fleener. Colts said they wanted fleener if he was available and they will take him. Instant chemistry,security blanket. Going to be a great draft.

My hope was that we would draft for the offense early and work on the defense next year. We simply cannot address every need with the draft so I feel it's best to embellish one side of the ball, offense, considering the gravity of picking a #1 overall. It makes sense to feed Luck.

Whoever the colts choose everybody is goin be satisfied there's no wrong choice out the 3 so why the argument plus Luck already lobbied for his security blanket Fleener

That is exactly why I am torn between Luck and Glenn.....Glenn is a knock down OL beast.

Where did they say this? I know the pundits have said they would like to take Fleener, but I never heard one Colts guy say it and even if they did I would be highly sceptical that is what they would actually do.

Edit: Maybe they will take Fleener and im not completely opposed to it, but im just not sold on it. Time will tell.