Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who To Take At #34? [Mega merge]

SilentHill

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No love for Jerel Worthy? He might be the best player left on the board. I'm shocked he made it out of round one. I think his upside rivals that of guys like Marcel Darius and Sedrick Ellis.

Alshon Jeffrey? Janoris Jenkins? Colby Fleener perhaps? Tough one to call.

Worthy fits in better in a 4-3 scheme. Plus there are a lot of reports that says he like to take plays off. No thanks.

Can't really go too wrong here. I say Cordy Glenn if he is still available. Augment the line with a run grader and provide insurance for our first round investment. TE and WR talent will still be available later. Luck can probably turn any decent TE into a good player. Upshaw will work if we part with Freeney.

They are virtually the same size, both are quick, and they will occupy the same position/s on the field. How do we know for sure Freeney can't play every LB position in the 3-4? Maybe he will excel in the 3-4, maybe he won't. We won't know for sure til the season starts. Upshaw woulld be depth at this point and using a high 2nd rder on a depleted team shouldn't be drafting for depth that high. Like I said though, Im all for dumping Freeney and his ridiculous contract, at least it would make some sense then.

I guess if they want they can get Upshaw and get rid of Freeney, free up some cap to get some more FAs. But also as you said we have no idea how DF could fair. He might be a nasty LB.

Im very intrigued as to what we will do with this 34th pick. CB Janoris Jenkins would fill a HUGE need and would allow us to not have to worry about the DB spot for the rest of the draft. That being said, he needs to take the NFL seriously, and if he was sincere and apologetic for his past in front of Grigson and Co., then he would be a great pick.

If he doesnt seem like he's changed, I vote for OLB Courtney Upshaw or OG Cordy Glenn.

I guess if they want they can get Upshaw and get rid of Freeney, free up some cap to get some more FAs. But also as you said we have no idea how DF could fair. He might be a nasty LB.

I agree. It's really the only way it makes sense to me, (if they get rid of freeney.) For all we know they may have been able to find a trade sucker for him. Thats what I hope, but I doubt it. I still say bringing in Upshaw and keeping Freeney is just adding depth and IMO thats not smart with all the holes to fill, but hey, If Grigs and Pags want the guy, I'll trust them.

So, these guys slid out of the 1st round:

Coby Fleener-TE

Cordy Glenn-OT/G

Johnathan Martin-OT

Janoris Jenkis-CB

Courtney Upshaw-LB

Stephen Hill-WR

Alshon Jeffrey-WR

Where do you think we'll go next?

I'd go either Glen, Martin, or Jenkins. I think jenkins fills the biggest need, but he's also the riskiest. At the same time, he maybe has the highest upside. Tough call.

What about Worthy at DT?

I wouldn't go Fleener. Good TE prospects to be had later.

We must have been watching different playoff games????

2002 Playoffs. Colts gain 52 yards Jets 180 yards Colts lose

2003 Playoffs Colts gain 98 yards Pats 112 yards Colts lose

2004 Playoffs Colts gain 46 yards Pats 210 yards Colts lose

2005 missed playoffs

2006 won SB..... When we actually ran well

2007 Playoffs Colts gain 44 yards Chargers 99 Colts lose

2008 Playoffs Colts gain 64 yards Chargers 167 Colts lose

2010 Playoffs Colts gain 93 yards Jets 169 Colts lose

When i look at this list....... We were SO close SO many years...

Great teams.... But when it counted....

We couldnt run, or stop the run......

Lets make this time different and DO IT RIGHT

I guess you think that small sample size means that we couldn't run the football. It doesn't.

And besides, this is a false premise. If running the ball better than your opponent meant that you won every playoff game, NFL history would look a lot different. I agree that it's important to improve our rushing attack. I'm just saying that when people suggest that we were never a good running team, they're ignoring virtually every season before 2008.

Seems that the Colts agree :)

I never had any problem with them taking Fleener. That seemed the likely choice. My point was the statement you made that should they have gone elsewhere with the pick meant they were stupid and made a bad decision is comical.

I guess you think that small sample size means that we couldn't run the football. It doesn't.

And besides, this is a false premise. If running the ball better than your opponent meant that you won every playoff game, NFL history would look a lot different. I agree that it's important to improve our rushing attack. I'm just saying that when people suggest that we were never a good running team, they're ignoring virtually every season before 2008.

Its not a sample..... Its our loss after loss after loss in the playoffs.

Its the playoffs..... Maybe not important to you......

Run the ball and stop the run.......... Its been the general recipe for success in the NFL since inception