Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard passes concussion protocol **Updated page 3**

csmopar

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Wow, a lot of negative comments here.  Did everyone forget what Leonard brings to the D when he's healthy?  He's a difference maker.

Yeah, I know, availability is the most important ability.  But let's see how this plays out before we all want him cut.  

He is never on the field anymore, so it’s difficult to remember how good he was several years ago 

4 minutes ago, Aces101 said:

He is never on the field anymore, so it’s difficult to remember how good he was several years ago 

Several years ago was two years ago. He essentially only missed major time last season. He's been highly available and productive for the majority of his career beyond last season.

I don't know why Colts fan like to act like Leonard is Sanders 2.0, but they most certainly do like doing that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why do I read this thread and think back to when Americans refused to call Cassius Clay Muhammed Ali as he wanted. 

That didn’t age well.   I don’t see this aging well either.   But maybe that’s just me?  

Yeah, it's getting a little stale. 

It's flat out disrespectful and corny, imo. I expect that kind of garbage from some posters. Not so much from some of the others I see doing it.

I don't see any humor in a post like that, at all. It's petty, but some just like to go thread to thread and litter all over the forum. 

Good post, to bring it to light.

However, if you go back to last page you laughed at one of their "jokes". Seems a little hypocritical, no?

That definitely didn't age well either.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, it's getting a little stale. 

It's flat out disrespectful and corny, imo. I expect that kind of garbage from some posters. Not so much from some of the others I see doing it.

I don't see any humor in a post like that, at all. It's petty, but some just like to go thread to thread and litter all over the forum. 

Good post, to bring it to light.

However, if you go back to last page you laughed at one of their "jokes". Seems a little hypocritical, no?

That definitely didn't age well either.

Not at all.    I was laughing at the poster, not at his joke.   This is what sometimes passes for an intellectual argument.   If you look at that posters next post, I gave him a sad reaction.   For me, this is par for the course for that poster.   Notice, I didn’t engage with a response.   Not worth the trouble. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why do I read this thread and think back to when Americans refused to call Cassius Clay Muhammed Ali as he wanted. 

That didn’t age well.   I don’t see this aging well either.   But maybe that’s just me?  

Ali changed his name for religious/political reasons and it was reported by some to be an affront to ‘merica.  Vastly different than someone saying hey I know I went by my middle name of Jeff and now want to be called by my first name of Kevin. 

I don’t think, and hope I am right, that any posters are making fun of his name or have any issue with it.  I think they are just noticing that he hasn’t performed well while using his real name.  The joking is innocuous and just silly but I don’t see any malice in it. 

• Thanks 2

He can be called whatever he want's I couldn't care less... but I didn't even know the dude was in protocol still.

I remember a few years back I watched Josh Allen get completely blacked out on the field. He returned the next game. Leonard, in the same day skipped off the field after the game, then when into protocol and missed two games... completely wild. But hey everyone's body is different..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, colts89 said:

Several years ago was two years ago. He essentially only missed major time last season. He's been highly available and productive for the majority of his career beyond last season.

I don't know why Colts fan like to act like Leonard is Sanders 2.0, but they most certainly do like doing that.

If he's like Sanders 2.0 and helps us win a Superbowl, I'll take it!!

21 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

If he's like Sanders 2.0 and helps us win a Superbowl, I'll take it!!

True. However, this season has to be it where Leonard has to show the Colts and the league if he can play at the peak level we have seen him play before. If not, Ballard has a hard decision to make at the end of this season, IMO.

3 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

He can be called whatever he want's I couldn't care less... but I didn't even know the dude was in protocol still.

I remember a few years back I watched Josh Allen get completely blacked out on the field. He returned the next game. Leonard, in the same day skipped off the field after the game, then when into protocol and missed two games... completely wild. But hey everyone's body is different..

I have liked your post purely on the fact that you actually used this phrase correctly.

I'm sure you couldn't care less about my liking of your post..... but thank you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

True. However, this season has to be it where Leonard has to show the Colts and the league if he can play at the peak level we have seen him play before. If not, Ballard has a hard decision to make at the end of this season, IMO.

Actually, I think it's a pretty easy decision at the end of the season, if he hasnt shown that he is back to being healthy and playing like the Leonard of old, you try to trade him for whatever you can get.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Ali changed his name for religious/political reasons and it was reported by some to be an affront to ‘merica.  Vastly different than someone saying hey I know I went by my middle name of Jeff and now want to be called by my first name of Kevin. 

I don’t think, and hope I am right, that any posters are making fun of his name or have any issue with it.  I think they are just noticing that he hasn’t performed well while using his real name.  The joking is innocuous and just silly but I don’t see any malice in it. 

I think it shows a lack of respect. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Actually, I think it's a pretty easy decision at the end of the season, if he hasnt shown that he is back to being healthy and playing like the Leonard of old, you try to trade him for whatever you can get.

FWIW:  

Between Shaq’s contract and his questionable health, I think trading him at the end of this season would be extremely difficult.   Shaq would have to have a good 2023 season plus remain healthy for him to have any real trade value.   

But….   There’s a natural out in his contract after this season with a dead cap hit if $8 mill.   All things considered, I think the Colts would be willing to do that. 

Or….   If he has a good, but perhaps not great season, the Colts and Shaq might agree to a restructure to benefit both sides.  

Hope this is good food for thought…

• Like 1

I hope he gets to play this year. The most important part of his game is his leadership and the fire that he brings to the team. That was severely lacking last year. Not to mention, he just has those moments where the team needs a stop or something big to happen to change the momentum, as he was usually right in the middle of those key plays and moments. It would be nice to see that again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe some have meant it that way, I hope not and doubt it.

I really doubt that Shaq would have a great issue with it but who knows.  I assume he only went by Darious so he wouldn't be compared to O'Neil but that is pure speculation.  I just can't think of any other reason he would.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes and it's not like Leonard had a weird reason for asking for this change. 

"Leonard explained that his family has always called him Shaquille growing up. The All-Pro linebacker said he was hesitant to correct people about his name as he entered the league in 2018, which was influenced by the advice given to him by Hall of Famer Randy Moss as a rookie to "keep your mouth closed, keep eyes and ears open."

Added Leonard: "I was only called Darius when I was in school or when I was in trouble."

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-lb-darius-leonard-wants-to-be-called-by-his-middle-name-shaquille-going-fo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Maybe some have meant it that way, I hope not and doubt it.

I really doubt that Shaq would have a great issue with it but who knows.  I assume he only went by Darious so he wouldn't be compared to O'Neil but that is pure speculation.  I just can't think of any other reason he would.

Perhaps he joined the Abecedarius (Yeah, a real word) Cult. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Yes and it's not like Leonard had a weird reason for asking for this change. 

"Leonard explained that his family has always called him Shaquille growing up. The All-Pro linebacker said he was hesitant to correct people about his name as he entered the league in 2018, which was influenced by the advice given to him by Hall of Famer Randy Moss as a rookie to "keep your mouth closed, keep eyes and ears open."

Added Leonard: "I was only called Darius when I was in school or when I was in trouble."

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-lb-darius-leonard-wants-to-be-called-by-his-middle-name-shaquille-going-fo

In that article he says that he doesn't mind being called Darious and understands if he is called that.   I think we are making more out of this than needs to be.    

In thinking about it, I do agree that it is respectful to call someone by what name they prefer to be called but I do not think anyone here was being disrespectful by saying he played better when he went by another name.

35 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

In thinking about it, I do agree that it is respectful to call someone by what name they prefer to be called but I do not think anyone here was being disrespectful by saying he played better when he went by another name.

What thread are you reading! There are like 10 post in this thread that are using the name change, as a way of clowning "his performance since" and "bring back Darius". Laugh emojis to them. All done in bad taste, but like I said at some point, I expect that from some posters, others that are, not so much. 

Almost every post that talks about the name change before this conversation about it was disrespectful in nature and intent.

Including a post 8 up from this one. Maybe 7 or 9?

22 minutes ago, w87r said:

What thread are you reading! There are like 10 post in this thread that are using the name change, as a way of clowning "his performance since" and "bring back Darius". Laugh emojis to them. All done in bad taste, but like I said at some point, I expect that from some posters, others that are, not so much. 

Almost every post that talks about the name change before this conversation about it was disrespectful in nature and intent.

Thank you for making me go back through and reread these!  - sarcasm

I did skim through and saw one harsh one.  I do not think the op was harsh and there was one a few posts down from that that said something like maybe he should change his name back.  I don't think the intent of that was malicious.  I think it was just silly and harmless.  A little off the cuff but not evil.

It is possible that i am not perceiving these correctly and they are disrespectful in nature and intent but again i hope not.  Maybe you are misreading the intent.  We both don't know the answer to that.

ok, i just read the Shaq sucks one.  I'll give you that, but the majority do not seem to be in ill will.  

This may just be that i see people as generally good with flaws.  I'd rather be naive and think that way than the alternative.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

53 seems to be hurt and this forum seems to be overreacting, Life is normal.

So true... 

The guy could miss 2 plays all season because his cleat untied and the forum would still meltdown... Lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I honestly don't find much wrong with the conversation. It's hilarious in a way that since his name change that he hasn't seen any playing time. Obviously, we all know that has nothing to do with calling him "shaq", but it's one of those things you can joke about that's technically a fact, and it is funny, although it has no real association with why he's missing time.

If we just blame it on the name change and have some harmless teasing over it rather than bash Leonard in a harmful way, then I don't see anything wrong with it. This is just harmless venting in a funny way IMO.

If you are talking about the part where people are talking about him changing his name and people laughing at it, then yes, it's a weird thing to do at that point with weird timing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Before my time but I remember the whole Ron Artest World Meta Peace thing and this at least isn’t to that level yet

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I was being facetious lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I honestly don't find much wrong with the conversation. It's hilarious in a way that since his name change that he hasn't seen any playing time. Obviously, we all know that has nothing to do with calling him "shaq", but it's one of those things you can joke about that's technically a fact, and it is funny, although it has no real association with why he's missing time.

If we just blame it on the name change and have some harmless teasing over it rather than bash Leonard in a harmful way, then I don't see anything wrong with it. This is just harmless venting in a funny way IMO.

If you are talking about the part where people are talking about him changing his name and people laughing at it, then yes, it's a weird thing to do at that point with weird timing. 

I had a long response typed out going over the post in this thread and the responses to them.

However when I went from page 1 to page 2, to get another post, they disappeared.

So, I will just say, the attempts lacked humor. Bad jokes are bad jokes.

The OP wasn't asking a "serious question", which can be confirmed with laughing emojis(at post that weren't even jokes, Archer's), and lol reactions to the most negative post in the thread(azcolt). And now with his facetious acknowledgement comment makes it official. Was just conjuring up some "jokes" about his name change and injuries coinciding, was that "serious questions" sole purpose.

A couple posters(Archer, BPollard) acknowledged the coincidence without making a "joke" about it. Nothing wrong with those takes.

Some post were just ..... Let's just say, similar to the adjectives that were used in them.(Have likes and laugh reactions too...)

"Shaq is worthless"

"Shaq sucks"

1 just completely refuses to call him Shaq while again making less than funny  Darius "jokes".

Again, making light of(joke out of) the situation is essentially making fun of the guy's injuries(not very funny), and claiming there is any correlation with name change is nonsense(which you've acknowledged). And again, not very funny.

It's not like this is the first time these post have come up. Been an ongoing "joke factory" topic for a while. Used as a tool of defamation, towards Shaq. Whether that be because they are not happy with his contract and production since or whatever other reason, IDK?

Like I said originally, just getting a little stale at this point. 

Hopefully he quiets the noise this weekend and gets back on the field and makes some plays.

What is a "harmful way"? Colts already are major drivers and advocates of mental health awareness. Shaq has already came out and said it is something he has struggled with(posters like to make jokes about that too, as peculiar as that is). 

I know he likely will never see them, but does that make it ok? Not really, I always personally thought talking behind someones back isn't the way to go. If you wouldn't say it to their face, probably just shouldn't say it at all. My take.

Guess it still ended up being a long post.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, w87r said:

I had a long response typed out going over the post in this thread and the responses to them.

However when I went from page 1 to page 2, to get another post, they disappeared.

So, I will just say, the attempts lacked humor. Bad jokes are bad jokes.

The OP wasn't asking a "serious question", which can be confirmed with laughing emojis(at post that weren't even jokes, Archer's), and lol reactions to the most negative post in the thread(azcolt). And now with his facetious acknowledgement comment makes it official. Was just conjuring up some "jokes" about his name change and injuries coinciding, was that "serious questions" sole purpose.

A couple posters(Archer, BPollard) acknowledged the coincidence without making a "joke" about it. Nothing wrong with those takes.

Some post were just ..... Let's just say, similar to the adjectives that were used in them.(Have likes and laugh reactions too...)

"Shaq is worthless"

"Shaq sucks"

1 just completely refuses to call him Shaq while again making less than funny  Darius "jokes".

Again, making light of(joke out of) the situation is essentially making fun of the guy's injuries(not very funny), and claiming there is any correlation with name change is nonsense(which you've acknowledged). And again, not very funny.

It's not like this is the first time these post have come up. Been an ongoing "joke factory" topic for a while. Used as a tool of defamation, towards Shaq. Whether that be because they are not happy with his contract and production since or whatever other reason, IDK?

Like I said originally, just getting a little stale at this point. 

Hopefully he quiets the noise this weekend and gets back on the field and makes some plays.

What is a "harmful way"? Colts already are major drivers and advocates of mental health awareness. Shaq has already came out and said it is something he has struggled with(posters like to make jokes about that too, as peculiar as that is). 

I know he likely will never see them, but does that make it ok? Not really, I always personally thought talking behind someones back isn't the way to go. If you wouldn't say it to their face, probably just shouldn't say it at all. My take.

Guess it still ended up being a long post.

When I say a "harmful way", I mean verbally harass him on twitter, or make threats (I don't think anyone on here would do that). It's better just to make light about it in a joking way where we vent rather then say it to him personally. It's probably old at this point, but it'll continue at the very least until he plays a game and/or returns to his normal self. The name change has no correlation with his injuries, but it's a bit of low-hanging fruit because he's so adamant for people to call him Shaq, and there's no positives yet associated with the name change from a football standpoint. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

When I say a "harmful way", I mean verbally harass him on twitter, or make threats (I don't think anyone on here would do that). It's better just to make light about it in a joking way where we vent rather then say it to him personally. It's probably old at this point, but it'll continue at the very least until he plays a game and/or returns to his normal self. The name change has no correlation with his injuries, but it's a bit of low-hanging fruit because he's so adamant for people to call him Shaq, and there's no positives yet associated with the name change from a football standpoint. 

Thanks for your explanation.

Even though these post on here, probably won't be seen by him. You don't think he actually receives these kind of post on his social media accounts, daily? I guess that's where your "harmful way" comes in, because he actually has a chance to see them and feel some type of way.(potentially). I don't see much difference, except 1 is talking behind his back, which is arguably worse in my books. Both are hiding behind their keyboards though.

Like I said, just because he probably isn't going to see it, doesn't make it right.

I think some of the post have been presented in a harmful way and with bad intent. No jest involved.(which would help explain why they're not funny)

Shaq shouldn't have to have positives from a football standpoint, to get the respect on changing his name.

There is nothing funny about him changing his name.

There is nothing funny about his playing career trajectory being altered, since he changed his name

There is nothing funny about the injuries/ surgeries he has had, and the rehab it has taken for him to get back to potentially playing in 4 days.

Shaq has never did anything to any of us, other than give JT, Malki's number, that's it.

He took a well deserved contract and got hurt. Definitely wasn't what he was looking forward too, I can tell you that.

9 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

He was a full participant on the practice report today!

This is the most important part about this thread. Whether he plays Sunday or not.

Not anything to do with a name change.

• Like 3

I don't know about y'all, but I'm just having fun with it. 

Is Leonard hurt a lot? Heck yeah. 

Is he good when he plays? Heck yeah. 

Ever since the name change, he's not been what he was. Doesn't matter if anyone acknowledges it or not, sadly it's a fact.  

Do I care what he calls himself? Not in the slightest. 

Is he magically above being called out? Absolutely not. 

We all (including myself) hope he plays and returns to the Maniac. Lighten up already.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I get the argument.  You should always call people what they want to be called.  However, my friend, I'm on the "bad" side of this conversation as well.

I'm already on record saying that it's an old sailors' superstition that it's bad luck to change the name of a boat.  After Ron Artest changed his name to World B. Free (or whatever it was), he was never the same player.  After Chad Johnson changed his name to Ocho Cinco, it was a different guy out there.  Darius Leonard is a multi-pro bowler, big play linebacker, who was spoken of in legendary, hushed tones in his own time.  Shaquille Leonard is a guy who was hurt all year, couldn't make it back to the field, and disappeared from the national conversation.  The gods enact retribution when you change your name.  When Anthony DORsett came out of college, the announcers mistakenly called him Tony DorSETT.  And he didn't correct them.  He stayed with it.  And rode it to the Hall of Fame.  I still call him "Darius", just in hopes the gods hear it, and remember who he was, and leave him be.

Yeah, I know, this is about superstition, and not about acting in respect.  But I've come to respect old sailors.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Archer said:

Came back on here to see whether Dar…er…uh…Leonard is back to playing status now that he practicing in full.  But it looks like there are more important subjects being discussed.  Carry on!

I'd say he needs one more full practice (today) and then he'll be cleared and good to go for Sunday. He's trending in the right direction. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1