Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard passes concussion protocol **Updated page 3**

csmopar

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Lew Alcinder did pretty darn good with his name change to Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Lloyd Free elevated once he became World B Free for the Clippers. Many boxers changed their names along with Ali there was Jersey Joe Walcott, Sugar Ray Robinson 

Not to mention most actors changed their names prior to hitting the big time... thinking of Marion Morrison for one. 

• Like 1

OK, since this thread is already derailed, lol, I figured I would just ask these questions now

Is this actually a “name change” or just desiring to be called by his preferred name?  Isn’t he Shaquile(sp?) Darius Leonard or Darius Shaqile(sp?) Leonard?

I don’t understand how this happened to begin with? If he was known as Shaq since childhood, and he stated that it only became an issue of him being called Darius by the time he made it to the NFL, what was he called in college? it seems that it would’ve been an issue in college, just as it would be in the pros? Or is this all just because of his new notoriety?

Totally confused with all of this.  Absolutely no disrespect intended here.  Thanks.

Peace.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Leonard has cleared concussion protocol.

Let the games begin!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

OK, since this thread is already derailed, lol, I figured I would just ask these questions now

Is this actually a “name change” or just desiring to be called by his preferred name?  Isn’t he Shaquile(sp?) Darius Leonard or Darius Shaqile(sp?) Leonard?

I don’t understand how this happened to begin with? If he was known as Shaq since childhood, and he stated that it only became an issue of him being called Darius by the time he made it to the NFL, what was he called in college? it seems that it would’ve been an issue in college, just as it would be in the pros? Or is this all just because of his new notoriety?

Totally confused with all of this.  Absolutely no disrespect intended here.  Thanks.

Peace.

Let the games begin!!!

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-lb-darius-leonard-wants-to-be-called-by-his-middle-name-shaquille-going-fo

From a post last page from @BeanDiasucci

Just now, richard pallo said:

I bet he’s excited.  As well as all Colts fans.  A huge add for our defense.  Now go out and have a great year.

Just hopefully he stays healthy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• w87r changed the title to Darius Leonard passes concussion protocol **Updated page 3**

If we can get vintage Leonard back on the field, I feel really good about our LBers. We just need a pass rush and secondary now..... eesh.

Am i the only one who is low key really quite worried about our defense? I have hopes for the pass rush, but not high ones, and that would be even more straining on our DBs.... I can see us giving up a lot of infuriating 3rd and longs, or our DBs just straight up getting shredded.

46 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Until he got to the NFL, no one called him Darius.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34297745/indianapolis-colts-lb-darius-leonard-wants-go-middle-name-shaquille

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

If we can get vintage Leonard back on the field, I feel really good about our LBers. We just need a pass rush and secondary now..... eesh.

Am i the only one who is low key really quite worried about our defense? I have hopes for the pass rush, but not high ones, and that would be even more straining on our DBs.... I can see us giving up a lot of infuriating 3rd and longs, or our DBs just straight up getting shredded.

I’ve been saying that we might have a pretty bad defense due to our defensive backs.  Only defensive back I’m sure about is Julian Blackmon and that’s if he stays healthy.

If our pass rush comes through then I have no worries, but if not, just say to yourself this is developmental year.  That’s what I’ve been telling myself to get ready for the season. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Quite a few new faces as options out there, to go along with the regulars. Which I am taking as a positive. Ebukam, Bryan, Martin, Land, Adebawore and Lewis (returning healthy) Should be interesting to see, as a group, what kind of a pass rush they can generate?

If the pass rush is there, I believe the young DBs will do quite well

17 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Today I’m not really worried about the defense at all.  I think they will be quite good actually.  A couple of serious injuries could change that of course but right now I’m good and looking forward to watching them play.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I actually think Speed is the better linebacker right now.

As of right now? Probably! But Shaq should bring that leadership and fire to the defense. It's been sorely missing that Ray Lewis-esque type of general-on-the-field defensively. He can elevate the guys around him. 

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Today I’m not really worried about the defense at all.  I think they will be quite good actually.  A couple of serious injuries could change that of course but right now I’m good and looking forward to watching them play.

Im not trying to poo poo on your viewpoint here, but I just dont see it. Our starting 2 outside DBs would barely be 2nd stringers on most other teams... how are you seeing that so positively? 

And the pass rush is anything but proven.... That is a baaaaaad combination.

Please, help me see this as you do, because our defense has me worried that its going to be putting Richardson into positions where he thinks he needs to play hero ball, and that generally doesnt go well for rookies.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I agree with a lot of the comments on thats video. His words say one thing but he just doesn’t seem to be in a positive mindset in that video. His body language screams uncertainty and doubt. 

I hope it’s just exhaustion and the redundancy of all the questions about his health/play. He seemed much more enthaustic earlier in camp interviews. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Im not trying to poo poo on your viewpoint here, but I just dont see it. Our starting 2 outside DBs would barely be 2nd stringers on most other teams... how are you seeing that so positively? 

And the pass rush is anything but proven.... That is a baaaaaad combination.

Please, help me see this as you do, because our defense has me worried that its going to be putting Richardson into positions where he thinks he needs to play hero ball, and that generally doesnt go well for rookies.

Our corners are young and lack experience but they are talented and won the spots.  They are two players out of 11. I think they will improve as the season progresses.  And I am sure they will be given help along the way.  Kenny Moore is a very good player who seems to be in a better place this year.  I like our safeties a lot especially with Blackmon coming back from injury.  Don't forget Leonard is coming back and he's a leader and difference maker.  I think the DE we signed away from the 49er's is going to give us better overall play than Yannick.  I think it's reasonable to expect a jump in play from Kwity and some of our other 2nd year players.  I think the other new veteran players we brought in are going to be very good rotational players.  Lewis is a very good player.  If he can stay healthy this year he will be effective too.  I think our defense is going to be good.  That's how I see it.  Hope I'm right.

• Like 1

Have to remember with our db room we have vets in Darren Hall who started 15 games at corner last season and Ronnie Harrison who started 5 last season at Safety  but has 45 for his career also in the mix. The young guys are playing well so they are letting them play but if they have growing pains not like depth isnt there, it is and can be brought up.

• Like 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/shaquille-leonard-getting-closer-and-closer-to-player-he-was-in-2019

Per article above:

"Shaquille Leonard doesn’t have any doubts, but he knows others do. The Colts linebacker has heard his critics loud and clear, saving the worst of the hot takes as screenshots on his phone.

“I’m just gaining more heart, knowing that so many people are counting me out, just having the will to keep going,” Leonard said, via Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star. “No matter how many times I’ve been knocked down, just continue to get back up and continue to put my best foot forward.”

Leonard cleared concussion protocol and is full speed ahead to a return Sunday against the Jaguars. It will be his first game since Nov. 6.

“Very excited,’’ Leonard said. “Just looking forward to getting the opportunity to get back out there on the field and competing with my guys.’’"

• Like 6

On 9/6/2023 at 11:11 AM, Chucklez said:

I have liked your post purely on the fact that you actually used this phrase correctly.

I'm sure you couldn't care less about my liking of your post..... but thank you.

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice!!

It's up there with all the could of should of, etc.... gahhhhh lol. And the classic corps/core nails on chalkboard! Lol

8 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I could see our DBs getting shredded.  They are young, like our QB.  I think both will struggle at times.  However, I think they will flash at times too!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

So is he going to play? When I hear wording like "available to play" it doesn't exactly make it sound it like he's a full go. I wonder if the plan will be to use him in certain packages for a while and then ramp it up from there.

Why would he not play? He has  practiced almost every day at camp. It’s not like he hadn’t practiced. Maybe limited snaps but he hasn’t even been limited in practice.