Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Derek Carr speculation (merge)

philba101

Should the Colts trade their top 5 draft pick and more for Derek Carr? It was rumored the Colts had interest in him last year.  According to multiple reports the Raiders will look to shop him this offseason:  https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/raiders_to_explore_trade_market_for_derek_carr_this_offseason/s1_17039_38291072

What about Lamar Jackson? 

What about Jimmy G?

You know if Ballard sticks around that he will be itching to make one of these trades instead of drafting a rookie. What's it gonna be, a rookie or a re-tread?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Should the Colts trade their top 5 draft pick and more for Derek Carr? It was rumored the Colts had interest in him last year.  According to multiple reports the Raiders will look to shop him this offseason:  https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/raiders_to_explore_trade_market_for_derek_carr_this_offseason/s1_17039_38291072

What about Jimmy G?

You know if Ballard sticks around that he will be itching to make one of these trades instead of drafting a rookie. What's it gonna be, a rookie or a re-tread?

5th round, you mean't 5th rd pick for Carr right? Nope Nope and NOPE!

14 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Wait a minute, last year people were ready to throw multiple picks at the Raiders for Carr and now we are offering nothing but 5th-rounders? You know some QB needy team (which the Colts are one)  will pay way more than that.

People are biased against Lamar. The thing is, we won't be getting a raw Lamar in the draft, we are getting a seasoned Lamar that can definitely pass better than a few years ago. It may not be elite level passing but he can definitely get the ball to Pittman and Pierce to stretch the field easily because teams will be playing them 1-on-1.

Put Lamar and JT together, and sort out the OL, and get a FB, and watch our offense go.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

People are biased against Lamar. The thing is, we won't be getting a raw Lamar in the draft, we are getting a seasoned Lamar that can definitely pass better than a few years ago. It may not be elite level passing but he can definitely get the ball to Pittman and Pierce to stretch the field easily because teams will be playing them 1-on-1.

Put Lamar and JT together, and sort out the OL, and get a FB, and watch our offense go.

I am with you on this one chad72. The draft pick is intriguing but you know what you got in Lamar and the Colts offense would be a lot more fun to watch! Pair Jackson and Taylor with an innovative play-caller and let's go play.

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I am with you on this one chad72. The draft pick is intriguing but you know what you got in Lamar and the Colts offense would be a lot more fun to watch! Pair Jackson and Taylor with an innovative play-caller and let's go play.

However, there will be a REVOLT if the Ravens let Lamar go, not happening, so it is just a pipe dream. :) 

If Ballard gave up a 1st rounder for Buckner for a proven commodity, for a QB position that is of much higher importance, he will definitely consider the Top 5 pick for Lamar. But then, that makes the Ravens' investment in Lamar all these years a moot point, that is why it won't happen.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

However, there will be a REVOLT if the Ravens let Lamar go, not happening, so it is just a pipe dream. :) 

If Ballard gave up a 1st rounder for Buckner for a proven commodity, for a QB position that is of much higher importance, he will definitely consider the Top 5 pick for Lamar. But then, that makes the Ravens' investment in Lamar all these years a moot point, that is why it won't happen.

You could be right. The problem is that they have already signaled to Lamar that they are not willing to pay him. I believe the Ravens will try to franchise-tag him. If they do that, I think Jackson will request a trade or threaten to sit out. I really can't blame him for wanting some long-term guaranteed money at this point. I believe he will walk if the Ravens won't give it to him.

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

I think we are so afraid of bringing a veteran quarterback. It just hasn’t worked in many years. Like I said, I can see the Colts drafting down and taking the best OT and with the pick we got take Richardson, Hooker or Nix

Penix Jr. and Nix went back to school.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’d rather draft a qb.

I agree. We have to gamble so might as well start now.  

I would like Ballard to take a look at Tyson Bagent in later rounds.  He is a QB that broke pretty much all the records across all the NCAA. Small school but I think he is worth a look.

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

it  depends on what we could get him for ......   a top five pick no way  at all . but if we can get him for a second or two thirds yes .  we could draft levis  and trade for carr let levis sit for two years .  that would be insurance in case he is a bust  . 

Carr is going to be cut so why? 

Haven't we learned our lesson on retreads?

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

You could be right. The problem is that they have already signaled to Lamar that they are not willing to pay him. I believe the Ravens will try to franchise-tag him. If they do that, I think Jackson will request a trade or threaten to sit out. I really can't blame him for wanting some long-term guaranteed money at this point. I believe he will walk if the Ravens won't give it to him.

Cost of doing business for QB salaries. 5 years $230 mil. With half guaranteed is what will be his ballpark when it’s all said and done. 

No one is foolish like Browns with Watson to guarantee it all for an outlier of a contract plus all those draft picks.

Trading a top 5 pick for Carr or Jimmy G would be really stupid IMO. Also, while some may like Lamar, his accuracy is shoddy and he is very easily injured. Personally, I am so tired of rotating between other teams’ QBs, I want our own now. Use the top 5 pick on Young/Levis IMO

No no no. IMO Ballard already deserves to go.

But if he does stay and he is not willing to take a chance and use this high pick on a QB then he has to go.

I dont really like owners meddling. I havnt been a fan of Irsays erradic decisions as of late.

However in this case he should be telling Ballard that one of the conditions of him not getting fired is he has to use this pick on a QB.

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

Wait a minute, last year people were ready to throw multiple picks at the Raiders for Carr and now we are offering nothing but 5th-rounders? You know some QB needy team (which the Colts are one)  will pay way more than that.

They sure didn’t raise his value this year. Also those picks weren’t top 5 picks. Only player worth top 5 pick is Lamar.

If you give up a 3rd, that may be worth it for Carr. Although I don’t think Ballard will do another re-tread but he might if there is a good deal available.

If you think about a top 5 pick, If the Colts traded out of that spot they could get multiple 1st round picks for that 1 pick. Only LJ is worth that and he isn’t leaving the Ravens.

I’ll say it again - i cannot imagine the Colts do not draft QB. 

I think they sign a bridge QB on a 1-2 year contract to help the rookie learn/grow. But, no way IMO we trade for a QB again. Carr has a fantastic offense & can’t even get to .500. 

He is slightly above average, but not sure he will take a team to the SB. I’d sign him, but would trade for him. 

Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, Brissett, or Geno make the most sense to compete against the rookie. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Do you honestly think the Ravens will be trading Jackson?

Answer - they will not be trading him. 

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

What about Jimmy G?

I cannot believe I clicked on a thread you started. I should have known better. 

Gawd no.  He could probably had for less than first round pick let a lone more.  Aside from that no more other teams used up QBs.  It’s time to draft their QB.  

the only one on the list worth a top five draft pick is Jackson and I don’t think the Ravens are interested in moving him.  Odds are they will franchise tag him if they can’t work out a deal.  

Look at it this way. There’s no Manning or luck in this draft or the next. None of these qbs are day 1 starters. Despite what some think this does not need to be a complete rebuild. Draft your qb of the future. Derek Carr is a 2 year bridge insurance policy. The almighty Mahomes didn’t play his rookie year and I believe it benefited him. 

16 minutes ago, MarlySullivan said:

Look at it this way. There’s no Manning or luck in this draft or the next. None of these qbs are day 1 starters. Despite what some think this does not need to be a complete rebuild. Draft your qb of the future. Derek Carr is a 2 year bridge insurance policy. The almighty Mahomes didn’t play his rookie year and I believe it benefited him. 

No need for another band aid QB. Just draft a QB and let him go to work. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Carr is going to be cut so why? 

Haven't we learned our lesson on retreads?

it would be different if we draft  a QB and get carr .   i think carr is way better than matt ryan or nick foles .  24 touchdowns this year is way better then what we have currently .   i was talking about insurance having a young top 5 draft pick and a veteran in case one doesnt work out you have a back up plan .    even though i wanna take a QB 100 percent in the top 5   its still a long shot any one is gonna be elite . 

Archived