Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Need our future QB soon because Lawrence is legit

runthepost

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

Not sure anyone has been watching but Trevor Lawrence has been a top 5 QB in most statistics in the last 5 weeks. He’s making the leap and I’m afraid he will only get better.

I was doubting him before this recent streak.  He wasn't seeming to get any better.  He looks pretty good now.  

JAX controls its own destiny.  They are 1 game back, they finish up with TN in JAX, and they have already beaten them, so a win v. TN in the last game of the season would give them the tie break.

JAX is @NYJ, @HOU, and v. TN to end the season.

TN is v. TX, v. DAL, and @ JAGS.

34 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I was doubting him before this recent streak.  He wasn't seeming to get any better.  He looks pretty good now.  

JAX controls its own destiny.  They are 1 game back, they finish up with TN in JAX, and they have already beaten them, so a win v. TN in the last game of the season would give them the tie break.

JAX is @NYJ, @HOU, and v. TN to end the season.

TN is v. TX, v. DAL, and @ JAGS.

Yep. The way both teams are playing and with the remaining schedule , it looks like Trevor will get his first Division title.  That will only give him even more confidence next season.

*sigh*

Yeah, seems odd that Philly would fire such a good coach just because he had a terrible QB and aging/bad personnel.  Good coaching combined with good personnel decisions...like adding Christian Kirk, makes for a better Lawrence and a better JAX.  

I think they probably win the Division next year unless Vrabel fixes TEN this offseason. 

2 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Colts are drafting QB. Whether he’s the future will be yet to be seen. I’m betting colts draft Hendon Hooker. 

I’d take that bet.  

I think the consensus is Young then Stroud.  After that it could be Levis.  But Richardson is starting to get a lot of buzz with comparisons to Josh Allen.  

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think the consensus is Young then Stroud.  After that it could be Levis.  But Richardson is starting to get a lot of buzz with comparisons to Josh Allen.  

I am starting to warm up to Richardson

QB1 and QB2 are SAFER, but Richardson is head and shoulders ahead with:

Size, Athleticisim, Arm Strength (Think Cannon), His release actually looks quick enough

Speed (Supposedly 4.4 to 4.5)

He had just one season of starting college experience

As one talking head said...... think 3 years out on him, verses this upcoming season

24 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am starting to warm up to Richardson

QB1 and QB2 are SAFER, but Richardson is head and shoulders ahead with:

Size, Athleticisim, Arm Strength (Think Cannon), His release actually looks quick enough

Speed (Supposedly 4.4 to 4.5)

He had just one season of starting college experience

As one talking head said...... think 3 years out on him, verses this upcoming season

Yeah, he seems to be the "potential" guy.  Even though I now live in Florida, I have to confess to not watching them play.  (I'm still a Buckeye!).  

It's interesting how these guys rise up in the draft.   You hit the nail on the head with the word "Safer".  Would Ballard (assuming he's still the GM) go with the safe guy or take a chance on a guy who has more upside but could take longer to develop?

I could take one more year of Ryan if we had a guy like Richardson waiting in the wings, learning the system.  But there's the fear that he turns out to be an EJ Manuel and not a Josh Allen.

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

The Jags are legit and will only get better. The Texans have a ton of draft pics and will turn it around fast. As for the Colts and Titans.....:lol:

Yep. If they get that QB right they are going to turn things around quickly. Titans aren’t quite in as bad of position as colts but they are also searching.

45 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, he seems to be the "potential" guy.  Even though I now live in Florida, I have to confess to not watching them play.  (I'm still a Buckeye!).  

It's interesting how these guys rise up in the draft.   You hit the nail on the head with the word "Safer".  Would Ballard (assuming he's still the GM) go with the safe guy or take a chance on a guy who has more upside but could take longer to develop?

I could take one more year of Ryan if we had a guy like Richardson waiting in the wings, learning the system.  But there's the fear that he turns out to be an EJ Manuel and not a Josh Allen.

IMHO

Ryan will only get worse..... and he is horrid

I would rather let Foles have a crack at it

It may not make sense, but what would you think of Richardson in round 1 and Duggan in round 4?  

We would have a second and 2 thirds to get RG, an actual blocking TE, and another CB to develop 

MAC needs to go

The Jags are the team to beat in the division going forward as the Titans future looks shady. I’m not buying them as a contender so long as Tannehill is their QB and Henry continues declining. 

That being said Indy HAS to find their franchise QB in either the 2023 or 2024 draft. They also have to find their solution at HC and GM to sustain any success. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I’d take that bet.  

Agree. Hooker doesn’t do much for me but unfortunately there are no obvious Lucks or Mannings

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Yep. The way both teams are playing and with the remaining schedule , it looks like Trevor will get his first Division title.  That will only give him even more confidence next season.

*sigh*

Well it’s better for the playoffs if the Jaguars win the division because Jaguars will be more competitive than the Titans one and done record lately in the playoffs. Playing a home playoff game in Jacksonville is a bigger advantage than Nashville, IMO. Note the Titans were always on the road when they went to the AFCCG in 2019 and both times In Nashville, they were one and done in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Hooker is better than Levis to me

I think you have to look at both being more of an NFL pocket passer than the athletic guys they are billed to be.  While they both have some athleticism to their college games, I don't think either has enough for it to be a major factor in the NFL.  Levis seems to be more stoutly built, though, and Hooker seems to be built like a bigger version of Teddy Bridgewater.  He's taller, but he's narrow.  Like Wentz.

I think Hooker might make better decisions under pressure than Levis did in college.  I think the immediate advantage Levis has over Hooker is the pro style offense that he ran while Hooker is deemed to take a little more development time, but I think ultimately they could both be pretty closely matched a few years from now.  

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Overreaction Monday.  Sorry.  JMO.  How many fourth quarter comeback games has HE won in three years?  Not enough for me after being the first overall pick.  He is a legit NFL starting quarterback.  That's about it. 

If your expectations of a QB is they be like a Luck or Manning, you’re going to be more disappointed than not. Any QB is going to need enough team support if they’re not Luck or Manning.

In our home game vs Jaguars, he got them the lead but Matt Ryan, who has been terrible in the fourth quarter lately, overcame that lead with little time left for the Jaguars. Against the Ravens, they went for two and got the lead and Tucker’s 67 yarder fell short.

Mahomes doesn’t win much if he walked into a team with our coaches and WRs, he had Hill and Kelce right off the bat, and Andy Reid. Allen started winning once they got Diggs. Tua started winning once they got Hill to go with Waddle.

All that folks are saying is Lawrence is a starter good enough to win the division for a few years because their team talent is good enough along with the QB, and the Colts can be relegated to cellar dwellers for more years if we don’t get our stuff right.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If your expectations of a QB is they be like a Luck or Manning, you’re going to be more disappointed than not. Any QB is going to need enough team support if they’re not Luck or Manning.

In our home game vs Jaguars, he got them the lead but Matt Ryan, who has been terrible in the fourth quarter lately, overcame that lead with little time left for the Jaguars. Against the Ravens, they went for two and got the lead and Tucker’s 67 yarder fell short.

Mahomes doesn’t win much if he walked into a team with our coaches and WRs, he had Hill and Kelce right off the bat, and Andy Reid. Allen started winning once they got Diggs. Tua started winning once they got Hill to go with Waddle.

All that folks are saying is Lawrence is a starter good enough to win the division for a few years because their team talent is good enough along with the QB, and the Colts can be relegated to cellar dwellers for more years if we don’t get our stuff right.

I said he was a legit NFL starting quarterback.  That’s where he is right now.  Nothing more nothing less.

You draft a guy and hope by year 3 he starts to play like someone that can make the big plays and take care of the ball. Ths is a reasonable expectation.
 Manning won one game his rookie year. He also had 100 Int. over his first 5 seasons throwing those wobbly ducks. 7 times he went to the Playoffs, usually with one of the best records in the league and Could Not win his 1st game.  
  IMO it wasn't until year 6 that Manning finally got it all together.

IF, we draft a rookie high and play him ASAP,  we are going (hopefully) to be drafting high for 1-2 more years. There are many good prospects to be drafted and developed before we can hope to contend. 

43 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Thats pretty long to wait on someone to develop.  If thats really true he shouldnt even declare yet

These players always get feedback from a few pro scouts on where they will get drafted 

Some team or teams have told him that he will be a 1st round pick

It is long to wait, and hopefully year 2, you see improvement 

But if he turned out to be a star.....  you be glad that you were patient

Josh Allen became a star in year 3

If you asked the Bills today, I bet they would make the same pick again 

5 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Jaren Hall looks pretty good. 

I agree, though he tailed off this year (before he was banged up)

He would be a great option as a 2nd QB to draft

But...... there is no way that he would be my only QB to take in this draft, if we only go with 1

He will be 24 before the season

23 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

These players always get feedback from a few pro scouts on where they will get drafted 

I've only seen a few highlights of him so I haven't said much about where I think he should be drafted.  First round sounds high just based off what ive read

Looks like the combine could be big for him.  If he posts 4.4 time somebody might take him high.  I haven't seen much of his passing 

21 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I've only seen a few highlights of him so I haven't said much about where I think he should be drafted.  First round sounds high just based off what ive read

Looks like the combine could be big for him.  If he posts 4.4 time somebody might take him high.  I haven't seen much of his passing 

Its probably worth a watch

In one of his highlights he was pulling away from a safety

He is a tough kid as well.... hard to tackle

Maybe we bring back the WISHBONE   :)

Completely different trajectories. They have a young stud QB and a great proven NFL coach. A lot of young talent. They are on the way up, im willing to bet they run away with the division next year. 

We have no QB, no coach, and a roster that has steadily regressed since the Wentz trade, We are on the way down likely towards a blow up of the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I said he was a legit NFL starting quarterback.  That’s where he is right now.  Nothing more nothing less.

It’s your 4th qtr comeback argument that was weak sauce to me, not arguing the legit starting QB part.

Not all QBs are like Luck or Manning or Brady for 4th quarter comebacks. Heck, Rodgers who has won a lot being a front runner in games and is a HOF candidate, has fewer 4th qtr comebacks than the above 3 as a percentage of games. 

6 hours ago, runthepost said:

Not sure anyone has been watching but Trevor Lawrence has been a top 5 QB in most statistics in the last 5 weeks. He’s making the leap and I’m afraid he will only get better.

i have been saying this all season jax will be the top team in our division for years to come because trevor will be the next elite qb in the nfl

Archived