Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All in quote

jvan1973

It seems we have a lot of members that either didn't hear the quote or didn't understand it.      He said "Everyone  walking into the building will have all chips in"    For whatever reason some took that to mean they were going to go nuts and trade tons of draft capitol to upgrade.   It isn't what he  said,   and certainly not what he meant.   I'm not sure why so many don't understand what he was talking about.     

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It seems we have a lot of members that either didn't hear the quote or didn't understand it.      He said "Everyone  walking into the building will have all chips in"    For whatever reason some took that to mean they were going to go nuts and trade tons of draft capitol to upgrade.   It isn't what he  said,   and certainly not what he meant.   I'm not sure why so many don't understand what he was talking about.     

Would “all in” with your GM also mean…”all in” in terms of drafting/trades/FA? Seems to me you’re just putting your own narrative on it. 

6 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Would “all in” with your GM also mean…”all in” in terms of drafting/trades/FA? Seems to me you’re just putting your own narrative on it. 

I think it's pretty obvious he was talking about attitude and leadership.    Not mortgaging the future with our draft capitol.  The narrative comes from those that thought we were gonna get Rodgers or Wilson without a 1st this year.    

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

kellyanne conway the hatch act GIF

It's a vanilla "saying". Hard telling what he means. 

Thanks, still gives me chills.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Seems pretty clear to me Irsay is talking about a mindset and not a strategy.  Just my two cents.

This^

Irsay was speaking to the fans, not to the team.  He can speak to the team by going to the facility.

IMO, he was responding to the likely thought that the team did not play or prepare with enough heart down the stretch.  And that proper heart results in players who play well during the most important times, and not collapse during those times.  

We know that Wentz and Fisher did not rise to the occasion, and interestingly, those are the first two to go, (if I read the twitter rumors correctly about who we have said will not be back)

I think fans could understand it better if the comments weren’t given in front of a whining jet engine. Honestly, the comments are pretty cryptic and could be interpreted many ways. 
So if he’s doing self- analysis , did he not have all chips in last season ? My assumption would be he was referring to Wentz and covid , and general rah rah stuff about giving 110%. 
Mainly, it just seems like a video of a man letting off some steam after a disappointment. 

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes. But Irsay is one of those people who walks into the building. And “all of his chips” is different from that of a player.

But seriously, I don’t think it had anything to do with offseason moves. 

There are multiple ways of projecting yourself. 

Two different people could tell you to "Shut up" and it comes off polar opposite without even accounting for whether you like them or not. The manner of approach is important. From all accounts, Wentz just never had this. Same deal in Philly. It was the Wentz way or the highway, and the whole COVID thing simply bolstered that notion. If you're a team leader who is all in, even if you make the personal choice not to get vaxxed, you can still be the guy who is giving his all in workouts (which Wentz likely was) but who also is taking coaching and making the corrections (which Wentz just never seemed to be doing). You cant lead if you don't take corrections, even Peyton took corrections. From everyone i've talked to and what i've read, this seemed to be the issue.

If you're going to have that Aaron Rodgers personality, you'd better replicate his performances or your e55 is out the door. Rightly so.

@jvan1973 has this right, i dont think 'all in' referred to just signing players or going in on Stafford. Irsay knows the importance of the QB position but he's also been around great QBs, he'll also know Carr and Jimmy G are not anyone's definition of greatness. I think the big reason why folks think he meant big spending with this video is this vid came out around the same time he was making other comments like the one about needing an elite QB, and how all those teams in the playoffs had good QB play and put up 40pts etc.

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I think it's pretty obvious he was talking about attitude and leadership.    Not mortgaging the future with our draft capitol.  The narrative comes from those that thought we were gonna get Rodgers or Wilson without a 1st this year.    

I thought so too, with leadership and attitude meaning Carson.  But Irsay made a point of saying he wasn’t talking about Wentz.  So who then?  The team in general, including the GM and coaches, right?

Even with the extensions and Irsay’s praise of Ballard, you have to think he’s on the hot seat this season.  He has to get away from his MO and overpay if he wants to bring in difference makers.  

I, for one, would not mind giving up a haul of draft picks and trading a pro bowler for Carr to stop the QB du jour streak at 6 (or is it 7?).

13 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Bet that meeting after the Jacksonville game was more heated than they made it seem like at the time..

I think that needs to be considered in the picture as well. Also didn't he tweet or like a comment about the Rams acquisition of Stafford after the super bowl win?

I don't believe he has given direction of giving up mass amounts of capital to make moves. Let's not forget, Jim was once GM of this team and tried that move in 1990. He grew up in the business and has a great understanding of it(as opposed to someone like Daniel Snyder who bought a team and 20 years later still doesn't what he's doing).

But it is certainly clear that he was deeply displeased, that changes have already been and will continue. Trading Wentz was huge and its reasonable to believe that another big event is in the offing.

I believe the quote....regardless of it's intended meaning, has become a vessel through which those who are not happy, can direct their disappointment. 

If Irsay held a presser today and explained exactly what he meant..... and it did not align with those who are forever looking for an axe to grind....they would just say he was lying or changing his mind so they could continue right on spewing disappointment. 

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I can tell by the very nature of this thread that you are NOT ALL IN !

But seriously I took away from it that everyone who steps in the building must be all in Irsay included.

Irsay mentioned self reflection and he wants to be ALL IN.

How does Irsay become ALL IN ?  That is simple, by simply opening up his pocket book and spending the money which he has shown a willingness to do.

I believe he is still looking for a long term qb, not a temporary stop gap.  If Carr or Jimmy become available he's going to spend big bucks to get them here.  That is his part of being ALL IN.

He just wants to do his part.

18 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Seems to me the issue here is people taking a quote that was clearly about  a mindset and not a strategy and putting their own narrative on it to try to make all in be about a strategy and not a mind set because thats what they wanted it to mean. 

18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Been saying this for a while.  Once you get out of the 'all in" meaning sign every top dollar agent make every move possible etc. What is happening is not as confusing and actually makes sense if you think about it this way.   

19 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Go Ahead GIF by GIPHY News

Did you all forget the quote of Ballard asking that one guy who is now with the Raiders " are you all in or not?" . 

Its same thing here no need to get things twisted. As i have said with Wentz if you watched and LISTENED to what he said you would have heard him basically say, this is what you are getting and it is what it is and he don't see it changing much. 

1 hour ago, strt182 said:

Did you all forget the quote of Ballard asking that one guy who is now with the Raiders " are you all in or not?" . 

Its same thing here no need to get things twisted. As i have said with Wentz if you watched and LISTENED to what he said you would have heard him basically say, this is what you are getting and it is what it is and he don't see it changing much. 

Yet, Irsay said, "All in",  wth are you referring to?

On 3/10/2022 at 5:17 PM, jvan1973 said:

Agree.

not sohard to understand.

And he told Ballard and Reich as soon as he got back that it’s unacceptable.

Good for Irsay.  
I,for one, never really “got” Wentz.  He’s a different type of cat.  He doesnt put football #1.  And thats fine, but i dont want thatfrom my QB, and i think it shows in his play as well.

Irsay simply said he only wants FULLY dedicated people or dont bother to show up.  Bout time i think he heard something other than the lovefest.

Commit, produce, or hit the bricks.  Pretty basic.

And Whats with the oddball QBs?

Wentz is Luck 2.0

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, strt182 said:

All those guessers can be laid to rest now. Irsay himself tells us what he meant by "all In"  in his 1 on 1 interview at the owners meeting. 

Which is what most of us said from the start, it was about mind set not strategy.  It really wasn’t that hard to understand unless you were wanting it to be about a strategy.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:17 PM, jvan1973 said:

My interpretation of 'All Chips in" is simple. I will do what ever it takes to win whether that be through free agency, drafting, trading, cutting and/or adding players, hiring and firing of coaches. It  an all encompassing statement to me. However, I can only say what I think, because I am not inside Irsay's head. Therefore no interpretation is wrong from anyone on this board.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

My interpretation of 'All Chips in" is simple. I will do what ever it takes to win whether that be through free agency, drafting, trading, cutting and/or adding players, hiring and firing of coaches. It  an all encompassing statement to me. However, I can only say what I think, because I am not inside Irsay's head. Therefore no interpretation is wrong from anyone on this board.

Good thing Irsay clarified.   It was pretty simple to figure out really

There is something that the following list of players have in common (besides likely no longer being Colts):

Mark Glowinski

Kemoko Turay

Rock Ya-Sin

Eric Fisher 

Zach Pascal

Carson Wentz 

Could just be a coincidence, but it’s also not a stretch to wonder if “mental and emotional commitment to excellence” didn’t include that. 

Of course they weren’t the only ones, but I doubt anybody is questioning guys like Leonard and Q.

Archived