Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard on what happened last two weeks

Restinpeacesweetchloe

9 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I remember in a hard knocks episode (maybe week after arizona)  Leonard calling out the D in a zoom meeting saying pretty much that to the D leaders.  Basically said the level at practice wasnt good enuff.

He saw it coming.  The dude is special. 

He was saying it before the raiders game. Kept saying guys we havent done anything yet and he was right

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Isn't that on the coaches?  sloppy practices and lack of focus, i mean. 

I mean, partially, but coaches can only do but so much. You can tell someone not to be cocky, but sometimes it takes them getting knocked off their pedestal for them to actually listen. We saw on Hard Knocks that the coaches kept harping on not taking the Jags game for granted and that they were a team that could come in and surprise people.

Hopefully the reality of thinking they had arrived just to get shut out of the playoffs helps reframe things come next season.

The thing I noticed from Hard Knocks was Frank and the staff continuously reminding them that Jax can beat them, they want to beat them, and the Colts haven’t won down there in a long time.  Almost too much of a reminder.  As soon as things started out bad the Colts lost their composure and it became here we go again. The players choked. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The thing I noticed from Hard Knocks was Frank and the staff continuously reminding them that Jax can beat them, they want to beat them, and the Colts haven’t won down there in a long time.  Almost too much of a reminder.  As soon as things started out bad the Colts lost their composure and it became here we go again. The players choked. 

Yep. They kept basically telling them how bad they were and jags could beat them. Too much negativity going into the game. Not enough positive stuff. Players need to play with swag and play like they know they are good. Instead the coaching staff beat them down all week. I hope they realize what they did and things change.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yep. They kept basically telling them how bad they were and jags could beat them. Too much negativity going into the game. Not enough positive stuff. Players need to play with swag and play like they know they are good. Instead the coaching staff beat them down all week. I hope they realize what they did and things change.

They weren't telling the players how bad they were and that the Jags could beat them. They told the players that they couldn't look past Jax and cruise into the playoffs, that the Jags were a better team than their record would indicate and weren't to be taken likely. There's a huge difference between the two. My assumption is that the coaching staff noticed what Leonard mentioned in the video as well and was trying to get through to the players that they hadn't arrived yet and that if they came into the game too cocky, Jax could keep them from making the playoffs.

There's a difference between playing with confidence and being arrogant. One usually results in strong outings, the other getting blown out.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

They weren't telling the players how bad they were and that the Jags could beat them. They told the players that they couldn't look past Jax and cruise into the playoffs, that the Jags were a better team than their record would indicate and weren't to be taken likely. There's a huge difference between the two. My assumption is that the coaching staff noticed what Leonard mentioned in the video as well and was trying to get through to the players that they hadn't arrived yet and that if they came into the game too cocky, Jax could keep them from making the playoffs.

There's a difference between playing with confidence and being arrogant. One usually results in strong outings, the other getting blown out.

The problem was it was beat  into their heads every second. When coaches did that it has to have a negative effect and get them second guessing themselves and how good they were. Remind them once and move on. 

I coached for many years...fine line when telling a team not to take opponent and getting in the head a team can really beat you and making them tighten up....I dont think the club choked because of what coaches said, I think team did not have energy because covid actually stripped many players physically

4 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The problem was it was beat  into their heads every second. When coaches did that it has to have a negative effect and get them second guessing themselves and how good they were. Remind them once and move on. 

Again, it had nothing to do with how good they are and everything to do with being arrogant, thinking the Jags game was going to be a cakewalk. Its not constant negativity, it's trying to keep them grounded.

If you keep seeing your players exhibiting bad behaviors and not putting the work in, you should tell them once, but don't raise the issue again because they might think you're being too negative? If I'm a coach and I see sloppy practices, guys just going through the motions and walking around all cocky, I'm going to address it and repeat myself until I'm blue in the face.

What you're proposing is the opposite of accountability. It's allowing negative habits and mentalities to fester and spread.

You're acting like the coaches went around telling players that they sucked and were gonna lose. That's not the case at all. A lot of people watched the same footage as you and somehow you're the only person that has walked away thinking this.

6 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Uh, wasn’t Raiders after Arizona?

haha

I'm not a big fan of Reich, I think his play calling cost us several games the last couple of seasons, but these are grown men who get payed very well to do there job, which they pretty much failed at the last 2 games of the season.  I am more in the mind that we have a locker room that needs players that are looking for more than a pay check.  Other than Leonard, this team is lacking heart. 

6 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I’m sure the coaches thought they were preparing them and keeping them from overlooking them but they played tight 

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I coached for many years...fine line when telling a team not to take opponent and getting in the head a team can really beat you and making them tighten up....I dont think the club choked because of what coaches said, I think team did not have energy because covid actually stripped many players physically

Nailed it. 

At this point I care very little about what any of them are saying. Not the players, not Frank, not Ballard... I want to see what they actually do when the rubber meets the road. To be honest I'm sick of listening to all of them. Time to show up... for Ballard - mainly during the off-season, for Reich and the players during the season. 

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Uh, wasn’t Raiders after Arizona?

haha

Yea, because everyone was talking us up after the cardinals because we won with a bunch of back ups and the feeling about the team is they had it in the bag and Leonard kept trying to get everyone out of that mindset

5 hours ago, stitches said:

At this point I care very little about what any of them are saying. Not the players, not Frank, not Ballard... I want to see what they actually do when the rubber meets the road. To be honest I'm sick of listening to all of them. Time to show up... for Ballard - mainly during the off-season, for Reich and the players during the season. 

Yeah I am at that point as well. I get the frustration. When we were 9-6 I felt like we were a top 5 team in the league with the way we were playing. In the back of my mind I also knew our D could still have trouble stopping the pass and Wentz could still find a way to mess it up though. Unfortunate but true. If we keep Wentz, he has to prove to me he can at least win a playoff game before I start feeling good about this team again. I was feeling great about us heading into the Raiders game and thought there was no way we would lose to Jacks. That back fired on me bigtime haha .

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Their words mean nothing. It all has to be backed up with actions. I mean it starts with Ballard and FA. 

10 hours ago, ojsglove said:

I'm not a big fan of Reich, I think his play calling cost us several games the last couple of seasons, but these are grown men who get payed very well to do there job, which they pretty much failed at the last 2 games of the season.  I am more in the mind that we have a locker room that needs players that are looking for more than a pay check.  Other than Leonard, this team is lacking heart. 

Like I was telling a friend of mine no matter how bad Frank's play calling is, no way we should've lost to Jacks. He blames Frank for the loss. I don't, Tony Dungy would've lost that game with the way our D and QB played. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I was telling a friend of mine no matter how bad Frank's play calling is, no way we should've lost to Jacks. He blames Frank for the loss. I don't, Tony Dungy would've lost that game with the way our D and QB played. 

Don’t forget to add oline to that list. It wasn’t just the QB on offense.

8 hours ago, smittywerb said:

We knew that.  Once again, that falls on REICH.  Players will be players.  Reich has to be that coach that keeps his players prepared and it’s obvious they weren’t.

Well - your opinion.  You can lead a horse to water...

There is blame to go around, but multi-million dollar athletes are responsible for their play on the field.  

21 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Taylor has been going around in interviews quoting irsay. Saying when they come back into the building what sacrifices are you willing to make. Basically saying all of them need to be all child in.

Dang, they have to sacrifice their kids?  I didn't know the football gods included Astarte!

I don't think that this team was over confident.  If they are, they're nuts.  The org has won 1 playoff game in 7 years and played 3  total I think in that time.  

They haven't done well @  JAGS since forever.

What do they have to be overconfident about?

I think that is something that guys just say to try to figure out what went wrong. If this team is over confident, I think the ole character drafting thing ain't working. LOL.

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't think that this team was over confident.  If they are, they're nuts.  The org has won 1 playoff game in 7 years and played 3  total I think in that time.  

I think that is something that guys just say to try to figure out what went wrong. If this team is over confident, I think the ole character drafting thing ain't working. LOL.

Trolls going to troll!

:troll:

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

The organization's offseason history has literally nothing to do with this. They got overconfident by getting swept up in the midseason hype. We started out losing, hit a hot streak, then beat (at the time) one of the top NFC teams with a team full of backups. There was a lot of hype in the media about how the Colts were the team nobody wanted to play in the playoffs. That is how you get overconfident. Buying into the hype.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I don't think they were over confident either.

They had just lost to the Raiders and the jags game had been characterized as "WIN and you're in, lose and go home".

This team should have showed up in Jacksonville ready to eat glass.

This is on the players not Frank. Carson has to show leadership and get his team fired up and ready to play

Archived