Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY talks retirement and said he will talk to Jack Doyle

Restinpeacesweetchloe

It was at the end of his press conference. Said he would take time before making a decision. Also said that he will talk to Jack Doyle. Wonder if Doyle is thinking retirement too. He was asked why you talking to Doyle and he wouldn’t answer. Their was rumors Doyle might retire after this season. That would open up some cap space if he did.

Why would he talk with Doyle first?

Well, let's see.

Hilton's contract is up, and Doyle's is up next year.  Both are in their early 30's.  Neither have put up the gaudy pro bowl numbers that they used to.  Quite simply, they're both at the end of their careers, and they have to decide when it's finally time to ride off into the sunset.  Might as well shake hands and do it together.

Hey, Doyle, d'you think if they let me come back for NFL minimum next year, I might be able to get the 444 yards to get to 10,000?

Naaah, probably not, buddy.  Time to get ready to ride.

Sadly Watson does not like using Titans that much. It could be that Carson is myopic towards Pittman but I would like to see Granson and Cox be more involved. The receiving corps behind Pitt is sketchy and inconsistent. But to the point of this post I think Ballard has a target wide receiver either in free agency or in round two through four. 

20 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Sadly Watson does not like using Titans that much. It could be that Carson is myopic towards Pittman but I would like to see Granson and Cox be more involved. The receiving corps behind Pitt is sketchy and inconsistent. But to the point of this post I think Ballard has a target wide receiver either in free agency or in round two through four. 

Ive been predicting this for a while, but it’s worth repeating here.   I think you’ll get your wish with both.   

I think we sign a veteran FA WR and I think we draft a WR as well.   

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

We need a couple. I am ok with one since Campbell still has a year though. Probably need to bring back pascal if we only get one.

nah i like pascal but his track record with disappearing in the offense is to great to overlook so we should let him test the market and upgrade over him.

29 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

nah i like pascal but his track record with disappearing in the offense is to great to overlook so we should let him test the market and upgrade over him.

Pascal is most useful as a blocker. Excellent blocking WR. The biggest problem with finding WR that fit our team is finding ones that will both block and be a part of a team. So, so many diva WR in this league.

Nothing would surprise me, but I'd say the chances of each coming back is greater than 50%. 

TY will want to hit 10k.

Doyle is having one of his best graded seasons. He's only graded better one year (2016) in his career. 

My bet, we pick up a middle FA vet WR, and draft a WR in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Deep class on Z/slot types. No move at TE if Doyle comes back. Middle FA vet if he does leave. 

If TY wants to come back on a cheap deal and is okay with being used like this year (maybe a bit more), then bring him back. He has valuable leader skills and can mentor Pittman and other WRs even more. Get him to 10000 yards and cement himself as the great Colt he is.

19 hours ago, James said:

If TY wants to come back on a cheap deal and is okay with being used like this year (maybe a bit more), then bring him back. He has valuable leader skills and can mentor Pittman and other WRs even more. Get him to 10000 yards and cement himself as the great Colt he is.

I agree, if TY wants to come back he will have to play for cheap. He stated that he had significantly more $ offered by other teams in the offseason. His play and injuries aren't helping his case to be looking for a raise. If we're looking to upgrade at WR and that means investing big $ in a FA or using an early draft pick, there simply may not be room for TY. If Ballard thinks we can get it done with Pittman and development from Patmon, Strachan, Dulin and Campbell then TY would have to battle them and Pascal for a roster spot. As much as it would be cool to see TY hit 10k in Indy, we didn't see Vinny hit a 600th FG here (I still hope he somehow kicks one more so he doesn't go into the HOF with 599), so I doubt Ballard cares about that.

In terms of why TY is wanting to talk to Doyle, I think it is pretty simple. TY came to Indy in 2012, Doyle became a Colt in 2013.  Luke Rhodes and Kelly came in 2016, nobody else on current roster was here before 2017.  Ty and Jack played 3 years together with nobody else they play with now as teammates. They played in an AFC CHampionship together, and endured a couple tough years together. Ty has known Doyle longer than anyone else in the locker room. Why would he not talk to Doyle?

19 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich said today TY looks as good as ever in practice and they have to find ways to get him more involved.

Hes just showing support. Same way he did with Vinateri. Youre not going to see him throw anyone under the bus.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. Great draft for TE’s. WR’s not so much.

For what it’s worth….

What I’m trading is this is yet another very good draft class of WR’s.   The third in a row.   It may not be quite as good as either the 20 or 21 classes,  but it’s viewed as pretty close.  

That’s from ESPN, NFL.com and even PFF…

26 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think TY has a lot left. Wentz just tries to force things to Pittman too much.

I dont. He goes way too many games without production. Texans are about the only time you see him. He knows the show is almost over. Weve never seen him talk of retirement so many diff. times.

23 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Using a hall of famer isn't exactly the norm. His play hadn't dropped off that much either.

Ben is a Hall of Famer (will be), you did the same thing I did basically so I am confused by your response. Doesn't matter, my point was some don't know when to call it quits. Rice is the GOAT of WR's but should've retired after playing with the 49ers, JMO. When Rice played for Oakland that looked like Jordan playing for Washington :thmdown:

2 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

TY is a Colts legend, ring of honor. But I do not want to make another Vinny type situation. Given our current offensive scheme, he is not of value. Should think healthy scratch with Mack, and bring in Patmon or Strachan who can at least privide the blocking upside. Hate to say it but seems logical at this point. 

Agree in not wanting a Vinny situation... but I think that would be next year. 

I disagree that he is not of value. Even though he is not a big guy, I also don't think he is a liability as a blocker nor have I seen anything from Patmon or Strachan to suggest they are definitely better blockers. 

TY has made a few very important plays for us in the limited time he has played this season. I think he still provides value and think it'd be unwise to bench him now. Resigning him is a whole different question. 

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I dont. He goes way too many games without production. Texans are about the only time you see him. He knows the show is almost over. Weve never seen him talk of retirement so many diff. times.

This is pretty blunt - classic @krunk style LOL but I can see your point of view.  His comment on that Hard Knocks episode to Frank on the sideline raised my eyebrows for sure… was he being selfless in saying they didn’t need to set up plays for him (l’m paraphrasing), or did he not think he could deliver? Interesting.

I agree his production on the field has decreased… due to injury for sure but I also feel like he hasn’t connected on a personal level with any QB we have had after Luck, and that shows as well (could be wrong but just my opinion). I think someone else on this thread mentioned Luck also, so I need to go back and agree with that statement haha. By the way it still makes me nauseous to mention that “L” name. (My therapy sessions are still ongoing lmao)

23 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

TY will be fine.

I have no doubt he'll find another team

I know as fans we don’t always get the happy ending we want… but I am really hoping he retires as a Colt. He has been such a staple for us. And I do agree with those that have pointed out his value to the team overall as a mentor. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth….

What I’m trading is this is yet another very good draft class of WR’s.   The third in a row.   It may not be quite as good as either the 20 or 21 classes,  but it’s viewed as pretty close.  

That’s from ESPN, NFL.com and even PFF…

Interesting. I don’t see where that comes from. There’s no Jamar Chase or Devonta Smith. I like Olave but I don’t love him. Garett Wilson is good but I don’t see a game breaker. I see some good prospects at WR but I don’t see blue chip players. That’s just me though.

Archived