Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Jets at Colts Post Game Thoughts....

EastStreet

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

It was nice to see that Reich learned from his ignorant play calling last week.   Split 30/30 run pass last night.  

I still was not a fan of going for it on 4th and goal from the 2.   Had an 18 point lead and the FG would have made it 21.  

He always does this. Whenever he screws up the prior week, he'll learn for one week and then revert back to his old ways the next week until he gets embarrassed and then he'll "learn" and fix the issue until the next week where he'll just revert back to his old ways. He may of had good play calling on offense this week, but I guarantee you Reich doesn't like the way he called the game this week. He wanted to pass it more with Wentz, and it was evident in the late 3rd/4th quarter where Wentz started to pass when it was unnecessary.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Yeah, no. I’m done “debating” with a wall. Go ask Wayne and Mathis about it and tell them they are wrong too. 

I actually follow Wayne and not a single concern was made. Just said 30 to the Jets was to much. Colts stopped caring 4th quarter, because the game was done. 

Crying about garbage stats is just crying about nothing. 

Game was NEVER in doubt after 7-0.

Based totally on observations:

The good:

• The OL probably had its best game.  Looks healthy
  • Eye test says that Kelly had his best game (hmm..is C play equally as important as G play?)
  • When the run game can break off more than 4 to 6 yard runs without holding, an OC can call more run plays.
  • Even Hines up the gut went for a 41 yard TD...I guess that was a great play call?
  • An OL that plays well allows a QB enough time to come off of his first read, and to execute the called play in totality if needed.
  • Spread the ball around..the result of better play calling and a calmer QB.
  • Pascal returned to having a nice game....as a #4 WR some day hopefully.
  • Pittman showed that he can probably play X,Y, and Z in spots, making him a nice chess piece to spread around the field.
  • Nice to see Patmon contribute.
  • Paye has done almost as much in 3 weeks as Turay has done in 3 years.  Nice game.
  • Dayo looks great for a second game rookie coming off a bad injury last year
  • Leonard can make splash plays..which are important.
  • Oke can hit and played pretty well against the run.
  • Isiah Rogers looks like a keeper.  A Dime guy, but a keeper.

The Meh:

• Gadget plays near the goal line were ok.  That was a good time to experiment, and give future teams something to think about.  Never liked spreading the QB out wide, why teams do that over the years I'll never get.  The snap to HInes RPO with Taylor was innovative, but not blocked very well.
  • Shovel passes on the goal line look weird, but ultimately they are a running play where its almost impossible for a fumble to happen.
  • Consider that the pass rush ran out of gas in the 4Q.  Paye, Dayo, and Stallworth were good, but the lack of quality rotational players got them winded too much.
  • I assume that Buckner was steadily double teamed.  I hope so given his lack of splash plays.

The bad:

• The forum:  finds the whipping-person to focus vents on every year.  This year the mob has turned on Frank and Flus for everything that goes bad on the field.  (Aided by persistent posts of a steady theme, searching for validation).
  • Coordinators expected to be puppetmasters that should be making the plays for the players.
  • Poor Flus, he has to play with a ST player and a cast off at Ss, yet gets blamed for not doing enough from the bench, LOL. 
  • RYS was grabby again at a time that mattered.
  • Rogers seems to be developing nicely, but committed an unnecessary FM penalty that preserved a Jets drive deep in their territory.
  • Leonard makes splash plays, but all of the defenses pass coverage issues still come while he is in the game.
  • No quality in the rotational pass rush personnel.
  • The secondary is UDFA quality. (What do you do to put Odum and Sendejo in a position to look better?).  It looks worse when the pass rush is getting gassed.

I agree with the previous posters

Folks, we HAVE the QB of the future on the roster

With some health and an addition of a healthy , get-open speedster at slot WR, the offense is top notch

The defense is getting to be a joke

No FS on the field was obvious.

Limited pass rush on the field was obvious

Last night the CBs were getting turned around and around........

If there was another 5 mins on the clock...... we would have LOST this game

As mentioned...... we were getting toasted by a THIRD STRING QB

I am a positive, half full sort of fan, but this defensive scheme and execution blows

I think there should be a DC change in the off season 

No other way around it

Bad secondary playing deep to prevent shots down field but giving up 15 yard chunks each time. No pass rush at all. Eberflus sticking with the prevent defense for the entirety of the game. Ways to fix? Probably invest in a couple good CBs and have more safety depth. The players are there for pass rushing, might need more time to develop - Paye and Dayo.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I disagree to a point about lack of players on D. I think we do have some good to well above average starters. And even some depth. Dayo and Paye do need to learn how to finish, Paye was deep in several times and was just a fraction of a second too late. Same with Stewart last night. I think our front 4 are more than serviceable. 

our LBs are okay. It’s the secondary where we need help but ...

my issue with the D continues to be the giant soft zones and the miscommunications between line backers and corners. We get toasted a lot right at the hand off area between the linebackers and CBS or the CBS and the safety. Plus our safeties almost always appear lined deeper than most other teams.  We can’t give speedy guys a 10-15 yard open area and expect them to make a play on the ball. 

This is why I’m really calling for Wentz to be sat and our number 1 back. There are a few VERY good CBs at the top of this draft that look to be great play makers. Then it drops off big time. If we end up with a top 10 pick, we’d have a shot at an instant stud

I was with you until that last paragraph.  Forget about it.  Barring Injury they’re not going to sit Wentz.  

And IMO he’s well worth the draft picks.   If you have time, take a look at the draft bust lists for the last few years.   

We don’t need superstars in the D backfield, just some solid guys who understand their roles.  But we absolutely need the D line to be better if Fluse insists on playing prevent every second half no matter how much of a lead we have.  It’s sickening to watch.  

8 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I caught a pass from Josh Johnson tonight. 

If anyone is keeping score…

I just noticed your profile pic. I just recently discovered Cody Jinks and haven't stopped listening to him yet. Love what I hear from that dude.

I am no expert by any means, but I have a question for those who know a lot more about football than I do - if our defensive scheme is not working, what scheme should we use and more importantly, do we have the talent to run a different scheme?

I get frustrated when we play back on the opponent's WR's, especially if it's 3rd and 8 and we're 10 yards of the LOS.

Would our current scheme work if we had the talent, or healthy players already on our roster?

Looking forward to your insight.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Why are people acting like the negative posts on the defense are strictly about this one game? Last night was just more of the same things people have complained about before. Have injuries hurt the secondary? Sure!

However, even with a healthy secondary we've seen this defense get shredded against the pass both in the zone scheme and the man scheme. Eberflus is not a one season whipping boy. Multiple posters here have questioned his ability to take this defense where it needs to be. Of course its not just him. Ballard and his picks, along with the preferred defensive scheme share a good amount of blame also.

Most here understand that when you're up big, the defense throttles it down a few notches. There is a diff between that and what was displayed against the Jets last night. Hell prior to Johnson coming in, White moved the ball down the field with ease after our first scoring drive. Who knows how different the game is, if he doesn't get hurt.

Offensively, last night was great. The performance by the defense gives whoever the right to continue to voice their skepticism. The players and coaches have even echoed the same thus far.

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

my issue with the D continues to be the giant soft zones and the miscommunications between line backers and corners. We get toasted a lot right at the hand off area between the linebackers and CBS or the CBS and the safety. Plus our safeties almost always appear lined deeper than most other teams.  We can’t give speedy guys a 10-15 yard open area and expect them to make a play on the ball. 

This is why I’m really calling for Wentz to be sat and our number 1 back. There are a few VERY good CBs at the top of this draft that look to be great play makers. Then it drops off big time. If we end up with a top 10 pick, we’d have a shot at an instant stud

I agree with paragraph 1

I disagree with paragraph 2

You play Wentz.... If I am a fan, and I travel to see my team play paying huge $$, and they sit a healthy starting QB, to buy a "better lottery ticket " (Draft is a gamble)  I STOP being a fan

What would a great man to man CB do in this defense?

This just isn't our scheme

Right, wrong or indifferent, we ask our CB's to play a short ZONE.... they dont play a man-to man scheme most of the time

The great CBs that you mention are man to man guys

You are RIGHT they would be great on many teams (Probably)

They would be wasted on THIS defensive scheme

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

I agree with paragraph 1

You play Wentz.... If I am a fan, and I travel to see my team play paying huge $$, and they sit a healthy starting QB, to buy a "better lottery ticket " (Draft is a gamble)  I STOP being a fan

Right, wrong or indifferent, we ask our CB's to play a short ZONE.... they dont play a man-to man scheme most of the time

The great CBs that you mention are man to man guys. They (at least in college) can follow a WR all over the field

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Based totally on observations:

The good:

• The OL probably had its best game.  Looks healthy
  • Eye test says that Kelly had his best game (hmm..is C play equally as important as G play?)
  • When the run game can break off more than 4 to 6 yard runs without holding, an OC can call more run plays.
  • Even Hines up the gut went for a 41 yard TD...I guess that was a great play call?
  • An OL that plays well allows a QB enough time to come off of his first read, and to execute the called play in totality if needed.
  • Spread the ball around..the result of better play calling and a calmer QB.
  • Pascal returned to having a nice game....as a #4 WR some day hopefully.
  • Pittman showed that he can probably play X,Y, and Z in spots, making him a nice chess piece to spread around the field.
  • Nice to see Patmon contribute.
  • Paye has done almost as much in 3 weeks as Turay has done in 3 years.  Nice game.
  • Dayo looks great for a second game rookie coming off a bad injury last year
  • Leonard can make splash plays..which are important.
  • Oke can hit and played pretty well against the run.
  • Isiah Rogers looks like a keeper.  A Dime guy, but a keeper.

The Meh:

• Gadget plays near the goal line were ok.  That was a good time to experiment, and give future teams something to think about.  Never liked spreading the QB out wide, why teams do that over the years I'll never get.  The snap to HInes RPO with Taylor was innovative, but not blocked very well.
  • Shovel passes on the goal line look weird, but ultimately they are a running play where its almost impossible for a fumble to happen.
  • Consider that the pass rush ran out of gas in the 4Q.  Paye, Dayo, and Stallworth were good, but the lack of quality rotational players got them winded too much.
  • I assume that Buckner was steadily double teamed.  I hope so given his lack of splash plays.

The bad:

• The forum:  finds the whipping-person to focus vents on every year.  This year the mob has turned on Frank and Flus for everything that goes bad on the field.  (Aided by persistent posts of a steady theme, searching for validation).
  • Coordinators expected to be puppetmasters that should be making the plays for the players.
  • Poor Flus, he has to play with a ST player and a cast off at Ss, yet gets blamed for not doing enough from the bench, LOL. 
  • RYS was grabby again at a time that mattered.
  • Rogers seems to be developing nicely, but committed an unnecessary FM penalty that preserved a Jets drive deep in their territory.
  • Leonard makes splash plays, but all of the defenses pass coverage issues still come while he is in the game.
  • No quality in the rotational pass rush personnel.
  • The secondary is UDFA quality (yet the DC gets blamed for not being a good enough puppetmaster from the sidelines).  UDFA quality players who will get burned quickly deep if they play man or too close (Bo Pete at BAL) requires soft zone coverage with an eye on burning the clock.  A bad look, but little choice for alternative defensive calls (what do you do to put Odum and Sendejo in a position to look better?).  It looks worse when the pass rush is getting gassed.

Is that because he played 100% of the snaps... I mean so did Odum so that might have a  bigger impact on pass coverage, or even Kenny Moore (also 100% of snaps).

We need to keep Hines and Taylor on the field together.  This causes deception.  They complement each others' strengths and weaknesses.

Our D did well enough when it mattered AGAINST THE JETS.  We lack personnel to be very effective in any scheme IMO.  The future of the D rests on Dayo and Paye's shoulders.  We don't generate enough pressure and we have NO ONE good in coverage and maybe not anyone even average in coverage.  No pressure, no coverage=No good   Darius does punch the ball out all the time, but he is part of the coverage issue.  We can't guard a parked car.

#8 for the Jets looks like a good player. 

We have another pygmy to kill next week and I hope we are ready to slay giants the two after that. 

Flus was not calling Prevent defense.  The players playing defense are not going to look better if a different DC were calling the plays.

And we'll never know.  Because...

I guarantee that Sendejo, Odum, Rogers and Rhodes will be gone (has having significant snap counts) before Flus will be.   So if a new DC comes in, my guess is that it will be with three to four new players who surpass what has been playing this season.

Then all of the critics will pat themselves on the back 

9 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Loved the playcalling. Redemption for Frank IMO. Have to keep it up though. Look how good Wentz can be when supported with great running backs.

Not sure what happened at the end there hoping it was just a byproduct of having such a huge lead. Regardless that was kind of embarrassing. Very much in the hunt for a wildcard though.

I don't know if Eberflus changed the playcalling in light of the blowout lead, but if he did, then that is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. You don't change what's working. Don't switch to a conservative, 'play-not-to-lose' approach. If they're playing an actual competent team on Thursday night, then instead of celebrating, we're reading headlines about the Colts' historic collapse, and how they blew a 42-10 lead, to ultimately lose 52-45 in OT.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I disagree to a point about lack of players on D. I think we do have some good to well above average starters. And even some depth. Dayo and Paye do need to learn how to finish, Paye was deep in several times and was just a fraction of a second too late. Same with Stewart last night. I think our front 4 are more than serviceable. 

our LBs are okay. It’s the secondary where we need help but ...

That bit is NEVER happening. Time to get with the program brother. The only way it happens is if Wentz gets hurt.

I think the Colts will always underperform the player talent we have. Playing a soft, conservative defense is totally unnecessary. That would be a perfect time to try newer strategies. In other words, the Colts are now as good as it will get - not bad, but not good either.

56 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Is that because he played 100% of the snaps... I mean so did Odum so that might have a  bigger impact on pass coverage, or even Kenny Moore (also 100% of snaps).

I'm not going to quibble about DLs pass coverage as it pertains to $60M.  Others can put a price on skills better than me.  Nor am I going to complain about DL in general, since the passing game problems are largely not because of him.  Just saying that for all of the applause he gets for punching the ball, and he should, it would be nice to see some contested plays where he swats the ball away from his man or shoots a zone to get a pick (not thrown right at him).  He's got the speed and the arms to do that too.

The Jets were no threat to run the ball since they needed to conserve clock, but I suspect the reason we did not see the back seven totally comprised of DBs is because we don't have enough DBs active on game day, because most are not good enough at this point (and others injured).

Offensive balance was great. Thirty runs and 30 passes. Game flow will change this a little bit in future games but it is the right formula to run this offense through the running backs. The defensive scheme has to change, however, I don't see that happening without a change of the defensive coordinator.

27 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I don't know if Eberflus changed the playcalling in light of the blowout lead, but if he did, then that is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. You don't change what's working. Don't switch to a conservative, 'play-not-to-lose' approach. If they're playing an actual competent team on Thursday night, then instead of celebrating, we're reading headlines about the Colts' historic collapse, and how they blew a 42-10 lead, to ultimately lose 52-45 in OT.

Aikman indicated that the first two Jet drives of the second half were not against prevent defense.  That's where Rogers committed the FM penalty after stopping the receiver deep in their own side of the field.  I think the interference call against RYS was not in prevent D either.  And the TD to the wide open TE was likely against our S or LBers.  It was in the RZ, so Prevent defense would not have been called.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Aikman indicated that the first two Jet drives of the second half were not against prevent defense.  That's where Rogers committed the FM penalty after stopping the receiver deep in their own side of the field.  I think the interference call against RYS was not in prevent D either.  And the TD to the wide open TE was likely against our S or LBers.  It was in the RZ so prevent defense would not have been called.

I think some of the defensive confusion is caused by sticking to the called defensive scheme rather than adapting to the play development. Defense needs to be adaptive - more adaptive than we show at this point. It's more dazed and confused. "Than play is not what we planned for!" Ya think?

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not going to quibble about DLs pass coverage as it pertains to $60M.  Others can put a price on skills better than me.  Nor am I going to complain about DL in general, since the passing game problems are largely not because of him.  Just saying that for all of the applause he gets for punching the ball, and he should, it would be nice to see some contested plays where he swats the ball away from his man or shoots a zone to get a pick (not thrown right at him).  He's got the speed and the arms to do that too.

The Jets were no threat to run the ball since they needed to conserve clock, but I suspect the reason we did not see the back seven totally comprised of DBs is because we don't have enough DBs active on game day, because most are not good enough at this point (and others injured).

I’ve seen a lot of plays where DL is shooting a zone to disrupt a passing lane.  He is doing this while also spying the back field.  He closes quick.  The real issue I’ve seen in All 22 type film is the handoff from one zone to the next.  It seems like the DBs are having trouble recognizing routes and where one zone releases.  By the time they see the WR enter their zone it’s too late and the throw is on its way.  They need to anticipate better so they are contesting catches and not reacting to a completion. 

I liked what I saw from the front 4 last night.  Got good pressure, and were able to disrupt before getting gassed in the 4th.  But there was never a 5th blitzer, and I don’t believe they stunted at all.  All the OL had to do was use their 5 guys to hold off our 4.  No creativity at all.  Mind blowing since we had a huge lead and against a 4th stringer.  We were able to move the QB out of his comfort zone but there was nobody there to clean it up.  

4 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I think some of the defensive confusion is caused by sticking to the called defensive scheme rather than adapting to the play development. Defense needs to be adaptive - more adaptive than we show at this point. It's more dazed and confused. "Than play is not what we planned for!" Ya think?

Its tough for me to bash the braintrust about stuff when the quality of the players on defense has been disappointing for a few years and this year has been exacerbated by injuries to even the second tier guys we just brought in.  

Willis is not the best in coverage, but even he would have been helpful if he was on the field, IMO.

Ballard "fixed" the oline by drafting two players high, and "fixed" the pass rush by drafting Paye and Dayo despite previously drafting three young players.

My guess is that he will take the same approach with the secondary and "fix it" by devoting high capital by adding two players to pair with Blackmon.

We will just have to get by with what we have for the rest of this season.

If the secondary struggles next year with an infusion of talent (assuming the pass rush comes along) then I'd start questioning Flus' ability to coach a reasonably talented D.

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Flus was not calling Prevent defense.  The players playing defense are not going to look better if a different DC were calling the plays.

And we'll never know.  Because...

I guarantee that Sendejo, Odum, Rogers and Rhodes will be gone (has having significant snap counts) before Flus will be.   So if a new DC comes in, my guess is that it will be with three to four new players who surpass what has been playing this season.

Then all of the critics will pat themselves on the back 

You are right. And wrong. And perhaps Nostradamus. Gonna say no on the last part though.

We didn't play prevent early. We played prevent very late. So you're correct. 

Key insert... not a lot pressure (except our NT lol).. nothing new... 

Not sure it was our injured safeties either. 

Our issue early and mid was short to mid. Kinda like every game regardless of who has played what the last two years.

Sendejo and Odum aren't great for sure (they both played well last game). But they are not your primary pinata if you're getting tore up by a dink and dunk back up, or the back up's back up.

And RYS and Kenny played decent. Rhodes wasn't horrible. Neither was Rodgers.

But how about the 10 yard cushion most of the game except for RYS and KM playing up some downs. We actually played up more this game due to back up's back up playing, and still couldn't catch a cold... 

At some point... it's the scheme.... 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its tough for me to bash the braintrust about stuff when the quality of the players on defense has been disappointing for a few years and this year has been exacerbated by injuries to even the second tier guys we just brought in.  

Willis is not the best in coverage, but even he would have been helpful if he was on the field, IMO.

Ballard "fixed" the oline by drafting two players high, and "fixed" the pass rush by drafting Paye and Dayo despite previously drafting three young players.

My guess is that he will take the same approach with the secondary and "fix it" by devoting high capital by adding two players to pair with Blackmon.

We will just have to get by with what we have for the rest of this season.

If the secondary struggles next year with an infusion of talent (assuming the pass rush comes along) then I'd start questioning Flus' ability to coach a reasonably talented D.

I'm not sure I'd give Flus the opportunity next year. But, I'm not in the front office.

2 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I liked what I saw from the front 4 last night.  Got good pressure, and were able to disrupt before getting gassed in the 4th.  But there was never a 5th blitzer, and I don’t believe they stunted at all.  All the OL had to do was use their 5 guys to hold off our 4.  No creativity at all.  Mind blowing since we had a huge lead and against a 4th stringer.  We were able to move the QB out of his comfort zone but there was nobody there to clean it up.  

I have been defending Flus, mainly from the persistent biased and piling on criticism he gets, but the one time he did blitz was at the wrong time, IMO.  I think they converted 4th and long deep on their side of the field against a blitz that went no where.  IMO, that's where you rush 3 and drop everybody back so they don't get the 8 yards or whatever it was.

2 hours ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Dayo looked decent

I don’t see any complaints about Hines running up the middle today. 

He had a nice CUT BACK in the hole on a well blocked play but the MISMATCH came once he got into the secondary and used his speed in the open field. Just because THAT particular run up the gut worked this time for Hines (after many unsuccessful attempts this season) doesn't mean that it puts him in the BEST situation to utilize his skill set.

Hines was more effective last year with Rivers who used Hines similar to the way he used Sproles in San Diego by getting him into space which gave defenses nightmares. Last year Rivers used more check downs, swing passes and screens which allowed Hines to do his thing against one on one matchups.

Wentz on the other hand likes to push the ball downfield and RARELY uses the check down. I believe that's the very reason Frank has called for more runs up the gut for Hines is to keep him involved ESPECIALLY with his new salary as one of the top paid RUNNING backs in the league. Nothing wrong with getting him touches but get him to the edges with more off tackle runs and sweeps to utilize his speed. I'll give Frank credit last night because it seems like a more concentrated effort was placed on the screen pass to Hines.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree with paragraph 1

The great CBs that you mention are man to man guys

Agreed. That’s why for paragraph two to work, the scheme needs to be fixed first. Either force Flus to do it, or fire him. 

51 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

That bit is NEVER happening. Time to get with the program brother. The only way it happens is if Wentz gets hurt.

Oh I know it won’t. If they had any concerns to didnt that, Wentz wouldn’t have been playing once it hit 42-10

6 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I'm not sure I'd give Flus the opportunity next year. But, I'm not in the front office.

That's fine.  I'm not married to Flus or any of the coaches, because I think talent on the field matters more.  Were not at the NBA level, but usually the best teams in sports are the best because they have the best players, not because of in-game coaching decisions.  JMO.

But Ballard will add some DBs next year.  And then the new coordinator will be coaching new players, with Blackmon and Willis possibly healthy and Dayo and Paye producing more than Turay et AL, and folks will say what a big difference a new coordinator makes.

1 hour ago, IndyD4U said:

I just noticed your profile pic. I just recently discovered Cody Jinks and haven't stopped listening to him yet. Love what I hear from that dude.

My wife and I have been friends with him for many years now. We have a daughter named Codie Morgan after he and Whitey Morgan from the days back when we used to run up and down the roads with them. She just turned 5 in August. Super talent, and an even better human being. We were texting each other just the other night about the Astros losing the World Series. (He’s a Rangers fan)

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

But how about the 10 yard cushion most of the game except for RYS and KM playing up some downs. We actually played up more this game due to back up's back up playing, and still couldn't catch a cold... 

At some point... it's the scheme.... 

The two best players playing up some downs is no coincidence, they are the two best players.  And RYS should not be one of two best players in a properly talented nickel secondary, JMO.

My guess is that if we had more talent, they would not play so much cushion.

I still wonder what a DC could do to put Oke, Odum, and Sandejo in better positions to succeed more in the passing game.

The opponent is on scholarship too.  Kudos to the Jets OC for calling a good game, and the players for not making blatant drops.  And #8 Moore looks like a very good player in the making.

I think I like the Jets backup QBs better than ours.

6 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I’ve seen a lot of plays where DL is shooting a zone to disrupt a passing lane.  He is doing this while also spying the back field.  He closes quick.  The real issue I’ve seen in All 22 type film is the handoff from one zone to the next.  It seems like the DBs are having trouble recognizing routes and where one zone releases.  By the time they see the WR enter their zone it’s too late and the throw is on its way.  They need to anticipate better so they are contesting catches and not reacting to a completion. 

Thanks for this AA.  Agree. It looks like its 3rd and 12 out there and Eb's teaching is to stay back to defend the long ball and give them 8 yards, just swarm in and stop them from getting the first down.
 Only problem is it looks like that when its 3rd and 7.  Our guys are too slow to stick with, or close in on quick receivers that run a decent route.
 They don't look well prepared/coached. More playing time together allows for improvement, but they are pretty terrible as an intelligent cohessive unit against the pass. All hands at the 3 levels of the defense have play smarter and much faster.

17 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Some defenses adapt and do different things well, but many of the best do not.  Tampa early 2000s stayed in T2 almost exclusively.  Legion of Boom in Seattle were almost always in the same C3.  The Bears 46 was pretty much the same most times too.  Always in man and always blitzing. 

Balt does some different stuff, but mixing coverages and stunting, etc. isn't always the solution.  The best defenses have often been vanilla.  Now very good like French vanilla, or like that bean vanilla stuff or the vanilla custard you can get at culver's

It's usually personnel that makes the difference.  Brady was on Peyton and Eli and each man said they had trouble v. the vanilla TB and SEA D's more so than the really complex ones.

Our greatest concern is one of personnel IMO. 

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Great job by the offense and the defense plays a terrible half with prevent defense where the Jets had a shot at an onside kick to potentially tie the game if Okereke doesn't get the interception when they had a 42-10 lead.

Eberflus needs to be fired and Reich needs to be reprimanded.

Other than that, the offense had a great game for 3 quarters until they let off the gas.

New Colts fan.. what is funny about that post??

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Thanks for this AA.  Agree. It looks like its 3rd and 12 out there and Eb's teaching is to stay back to defend the long ball and give them 8 yards, just swarm in and stop them from getting the first down.
 Only problem is it looks like that when its 3rd and 7.  Our guys are too slow to stick with, or close in on quick receivers that run a decent route.
 They don't look well prepared/coached. More playing time together allows for improvement, but they are pretty terrible as an intelligent cohessive unit against the pass. All hands at the 3 levels of the defense have play smarter and much faster.

I don't disagree at all, but the question is the cushion and hand off failures the result of the players not playing up to the level they need or because the DC can't think outside of a narrow cone of understanding. (which seems to be at the root of the criticism)

When its 3rd and 7, teams still throw the long ball to get chunk plays.   I think the decision is simply been made that with this pass coverage unit and a bad pass rush (that's getting better), its best to keep the plays in the 6 to 12 yard completion range regardless of down than it is to risk getting chunked in 4 plays.

Things can happen over the course of multiple plays.  A FM penalty and PI penalty extended two drives that were otherwise stopped, and we finally got a batted ball pick on the 9th play of the drive.

7 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I agree. It's not like he's only been given a year or two as a first time dc to prove himself. It's been multiple YEARS and the scheme is TERRIBLE. Tired of seeing 3rd and longs from opposing teams only to see them pick up 10 to 15 yards EASILY.

Either it's a Ballard thing (talent wise) or it's a Fluss thing. (scheme / coaching) Maybe it's  both but regardless something has to change because this defense is NOWHERE near where it needs to be to compete at a high level consistently.

It was as balanced an offensive effort as it was tremendous, with the Colts' 272 yards passing and 260 rushing standing as just the second time since 1950 that the franchise has had 250-plus rushing and 250-plus passing yards in a game, per NFL Research. The other was in 1956, during a Baltimore Colts win over the Los Angeles Rams.

Jonathan Taylor reached a top speed of 22.05 mph on this 78-yard TD run, the fastest speed by a ball carrier this season.

Taylor is now responsible for the two fastest speeds this season (21.83 mph in Week 8).#StatThat | Powered by @awscloud pic.twitter.com/h75Cuy16eI

— Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) November 5, 2021

38 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

He had a nice CUT BACK in the hole on a well blocked play but the MISMATCH came once he got into the secondary and used his speed in the open field. Just because THAT particular run up the gut worked this time for Hines (after many unsuccessful attempts this season) doesn't mean that it puts him in the BEST situation to utilize his skill set.

Hines was more effective last year with Rivers who used Hines similar to the way he used Sproles in San Diego by getting him into space which gave defenses nightmares. Last year Rivers used more check downs, swing passes and screens which allowed Hines to do his thing against one on one matchups.

Wentz on the other hand likes to push the ball downfield and RARELY uses the check down. I believe that's the very reason Frank has called for more runs up the gut for Hines is to keep him involved ESPECIALLY with his new salary as one of the top paid RUNNING backs in the league. Nothing wrong with getting him touches but get him to the edges with more off tackle runs and sweeps to utilize his speed. I'll give Frank credit last night because it seems like a more concentrated effort was placed on the screen pass to Hines.

I agree with everything you say.  Nice post. Hines was a big factor last night.

Archived