Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell inactive

indyagent17

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can’t believe Chris and scouting staff watched that much Ohio State film and chose Parris Campbells over Terry McLaurins.   Even if it was a close call, why not enjoy the palpable good will of drafting a hometown hero that dreamed of playing for his favorite team.   Seems Colt’s do pretty ok with Cathedral kids.  

21 hours ago, GoHorse1992 said:

Unfortunately hindsight is 20/20. Remember that Parris was healthy in college and DK had neck concerns leading up to the draft.

This isn't hindsight. Most of us were pounding the table for Metcalf or brown and we picked Campbell instead. Never wanted him. My top three were marquis brown, aj brown and Metcalf. Mc Lauren is hindsight as most of us didn't know he would be good

22 hours ago, a06cc said:

Pittman is in the same boat with me. He is all talk and no production. Campbell was injured on the one reception he got last week. It’s early in the season, but come on! 

He had 100 yards Sunday. He hasn't talked much at all either so both of these statements are incorrect... im unwilling to be disgruntled about Pittman especially after the Rams game, game two, where he got 100 yards. 

I was so ready to give Campbell another shot this year cause I think his potential is so high, but I think he's one of those players whos body will never be able to handle the NFL.I had a coach who used to say, "are you hurt, or injured, there's a difference" one you play through, one you don't. I feel like we have a handful of guys on this team we cannot play through some pain. Meanwhile there's guys in the league like Luck and Romo playing with punctured lungs.

57 minutes ago, Stephen said:

This isn't hindsight. Most of us were pounding the table for Metcalf or brown and we picked Campbell instead. Never wanted him. My top three were marquis brown, aj brown and Metcalf. Mc Lauren is hindsight as most of us didn't know he would be good

Quite a few folks wanted McLaurin especially because of that local connection and his love of the Colts.

10 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I was so ready to give Campbell another shot this year cause I think his potential is so high, but I think he's one of those players whos body will never be able to handle the NFL.I had a coach who used to say, "are you hurt, or injured, there's a difference" one you play through, one you don't. I feel like we have a handful of guys on this team we cannot play through some pain. Meanwhile there's guys in the league like Luck and Romo playing with punctured lungs.

I don't ever question the injuries or ability to play through whatever. These guys are tough, you dont get to this level being feeble. However, availability is the best ability and Parris is never available. I won't question his toughness but i'd question the sanity of anyone who schemes around him or expects him to be present.

7 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Quite a few folks wanted McLaurin especially because of that local connection and his love of the Colts.

I don't ever question the injuries or ability to play through whatever. These guys are tough, you dont get to this level being feeble. However, availability is the best ability and Parris is never available. I won't question his toughness but i'd question the sanity of anyone who schemes around him or expects him to be present.

I agree, I hate calling out their toughness, but the things is, guys like Campbell, it isn't new. The injuries have been with him since college. Missing games always.

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

I do remember the colts interviewing mclaurin

On 9/20/2021 at 10:27 AM, Stephen said:

Exactly.  Brown and Metcalf were asks.  Marquis Brown was a TY replacement so he was a little farther down the list.  And McLaurin was on the radar as a sort of nonimpact steady guy...polished route runner...steady....that was a notch below the other guys.  He was thought to be a Pascal type of performer, but nobody predicted the level of success he has had.

Nobody on this board who participates in draft discussions mentioned Campbell, IIRC.  This isn't hindsight.

Brown was an X receiver.  We had just signed Funchess to starters X money.  And we had TY.  So the need to draft AJ, DK, or Marquis was not there.

Hindsight tells me though, that Ballard picked Parris for need.  We needed a slot.

This isn't hindsight. Most of us were pounding the table for Metcalf or brown and we picked Campbell instead. Never wanted him.

Brown was may favorite WR that year. I was really hoping we would take him when we had the chance, but I wasn't exactly upset that we picked Campbell. In hindsight, Brown absolutely was the better pick (at least at this point in their careers).

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Would be nice if reich actually used him correctly.

This is my frustration. I don't feel like we're using him correctly at all. He can be such a versatile weapon and from what I've seen, we haven't been calling enough plays that are designed to put Campbell in space.

10 minutes ago, Shive said:

He can be such a versatile weapon and from what I've seen, we haven't been calling enough plays that are designed to put Campbell in space.

What do you do with Hines then?  Run him between the tackles, lol?

With Hines getting paid, Campbell has to be more of a down field threat more often.  He needs to create his own space at that point.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What do you do with Hines then?  Run him between the tackles, lol?

With Hines getting paid, Campbell has to be more of a down field threat more often.  He needs to create his own space at that point.

I don't see why you can't utilize both to be less predictable. Ideally, Campbell would be able to contribute more as a downfield threat, but if he's not there yet, you might as well utilize his playmaking ability.

19 minutes ago, FRW said:

Philip Dorsett is available. Isn't Campbell and Dorsett kind of mirror images of each other?

Not really at all other than being WR's that haven't lived up to their draft position. Dorsett is a small, fast WR that essentially could only run go routes. Campbell is bigger and has been much better on manufactured touches where he can get the YAC.

Campbell appears to be 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier. Not a big difference size wise and they both ran a 4.3 and change at the combine. On the other hand Dorsett is about the same heights as TY and 5 lbs. heavier and had a better 40's time. Just saying he's available. We took a look at Isiah Wilson, a college wrestler and two no name WR recently. Wouldn't you at least kick the tires? He gives you a deep threat and would probably come cheap.

On 9/20/2021 at 3:31 PM, PRnum1 said:

Colts will need 2 WR in next years draft.

A replacement for Hilton and Pascal.

We already have a replacement for Campbell, Strachan.

I'd be shocked if Pascal isn't here next year. He's great at what he does, coaches love him and his work ethic. It's not his fault he's having to play higher in the depth chart then he should. He's solid.

43 minutes ago, FRW said:

Campbell appears to be 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier. Not a big difference size wise and they both ran a 4.3 and change at the combine. On the other hand Dorsett is about the same heights as TY and 5 lbs. heavier and had a better 40's time. Just saying he's available. We took a look at Isiah Wilson, a college wrestler and two no name WR recently. Wouldn't you at least kick the tires? He gives you a deep threat and would probably come cheap.

2 inches and 10 lbs is a big difference between WRs.

There is also a difference between a deep threat and someone that runs fast. He never has shown the technical development needed to be an actual deep threat like TY.

Campbell has played in a total of 11 games (small sample size), whereas Dorsett has played in 72 and is in his 6th season now (much larger sample size). Campbell has shown flashes of high level play (mainly last year before the injury) and Dorsett has not shown that at all. TY should be back in a few weeks, so why bring back someone Ballard traded away to replace him?

I watched us skip Dj Chark, Metcalf, and Claypool wanting them all.

39 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

So far Campbell looks like a bust. Guy needs to eat a steak.

It's a crime he got the start over Strachan...

15 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I watched us skip Dj Chark, Metcalf, and Claypool wanting them all.

It's a crime he got the start over Strachan...

He's been getting open on intermediate routes....Wentz either isnt seeing him or is choosing the long option first. 

I've been as impatient about Campbell's progress and ability to stay healthy as any other Colts fan, but this season, the lack of production is on the QB

Archived