Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Nt Brandon Mckinney [Merge]

Nobody

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another piece of the Grigson puzzle popped into place. These guys do have a plan and going at it as quickly and agressively as the cap allows them. Setting the team up as much as they can to hit the draft being able to get the BPA during each round. Can't cure everything in one off season as well all know

Mel Kiper has us signing defensive lineman Kendall Reyes in the second round.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7766381/mel-kiper-fourth-mock-draft-two-rounds

Kendall Reyes

Defensive Tackle

SCOUTS GRADE

Grading Scale

• ConnecticutSchool
  • Big EastConference

• 6'4⅛"Height
  • 299 lbsWeight

• 33.2"Arm Length
  • 9.4"Hand Size

• 36Overall Rank
  • 5Positional Rank

CAREER NCAA FOOTBALL STATS

TACKLES FUMBLES FORCED INT 46 — —

2012 Draft Pick Info

TEAM ROUND PICK — — —

Possible Destinations

Scouts Inc. Player Evaluations

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 "2007: Redshirt. 2008: (11/4) 20 tackles (3 TFL), 1.5 sacks. 2009: (13/12) 37 tackles (6 TFL), 3 sacks. 2010: (13/13) 39 tackles (10 TFL), 2.5 sacks. Career: 2 INT, 6 PBU." Height-Weight-Speed 3 Below average but adequate weight. Average height and above average top-end speed. Durability 2 "Injured ankle during 2008 Louisville game and missed North Carolina game the following week. However, has appeared in 37 games with 29 starts. " Intangibles 2 Named team captain for 2010 season. Has lined up at defensive end and defensive tackle.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Defensive Tackle Specific Traits

Versus the Run 2 Could play with better pad level at times but rarely gave ground one-on-one and flashed ability to anchor against double teams despite lack of ideal size. Flashed ability to drive blocker into the backfield and can force back to redirect. Strong and can lift interior offensive linemen off their feet when wins the battle of leverage. Capable of stacking and shedding in a two-gap scheme. Above average instincts for an interior defensive lineman and located the ball quickly. Above average range for an interior defensive lineman and can make plays outside the tackle box. Pass Rush Skills 3 Too much of a one-dimensional power rusher at this point. Shed blocks quicker as a run defender than did as a pass rusher. Doesn't close as well as some other defensive tackles in class but has enough quickness and agility to develop into a productive interior pass rusher at the next level. Quickness (hands/feet) 2 "Above average first-step quickness for size. Showed above-average lateral mobility when scraping down the line of scrimmage. More than athletic enough to make a success transition to 5-technique in a base three-man front. Effective hand fighter that can shoot hands inside and lock on before most offensive linemen are able to lock onto his frame. However, could be more violent with hands when rushing the passer. " Toughness/Motor 2 Doesn't give much ground or back down in phone booth. Chased outside runs. Made plays with second effort and played hard late in blowout loss to Michigan in 2010. Inconsistent motor but fatigue may be bigger issue than work ethic.

I disagree. You have to look at them when they were signed, not when they were let go.

1. Brackett would have definitely found spots on other teams as a coverage LB when he was younger. Like Ray Lewis who needed Ngata to resurrect his career by clogging the middle letting him make plays, any MLB needs that D-line support up front, that was lacking for the most of Brackett's career. When he was able to roam when he was younger, he was a good MLB. Maybe not a great one but definitely a good one, IMO, that made plays.
  2. Other UDFAs - Melvin Bullitt, he stepped in pretty well for Bob Sanders till his shoulder issues started taking a toll.
  3. Not to mention, our best UDFA signing - Jeff Saturday.
  4. We do need to be reminded that Blair White was a UDFA as well and is an intelligent slot wideout for the rotation. Blair White had several other teams call him when they realized he was going undrafted and he chose us because we had No.18 at the helm.
  5. Dominic Rhodes was an invaluable UDFA.

So, let us not knock down Polian's UDFAs with a broad brush just because they had faded towards the end. They were let go because their skills had eroded but when they were drafted and their skills were good, they made more than ample plays I can recall. Just because Polian did not win more SBs, it does not mean we put the "Johnny come lately" Grigson on a pedestal. It is fair enough to ask for Grigson to be given a chance but let us not act like Polian did not put in enough pieces to keep the winning going. Polian did fade eventually but he did shine, at least till 2006, IMO.

People have such a short memory. Just because someone has a divorce, it is no reason to "trash" the ones involved in the previous relationship. That is how I see it.

I disagree. You have to look at them when they were signed, not when they were let go.

1. Brackett would have definitely found spots on other teams as a coverage LB when he was younger. Like Ray Lewis who needed Ngata to resurrect his career by clogging the middle letting him make plays, any MLB needs that D-line support up front, that was lacking for the most of Brackett's career. When he was able to roam when he was younger, he was a good MLB. Maybe not a great one but definitely a good one, IMO, that made plays.
  2. Other UDFAs - Melvin Bullitt, he stepped in pretty well for Bob Sanders till his shoulder issues started taking a toll.
  4. We do need to be reminded that Blair White was a UDFA as well and is an intelligent slot wideout for the rotation. Blair White had several other teams call him when they realized he was going undrafted and he chose us because we had No.18 at the helm.

So, let us not knock down Polian's UDFAs with a broad brush just because they had faded towards the end. They were let go because their skills had eroded but when they were drafted and their skills were good, they made more than ample plays I can recall. Just because Polian did not win more SBs, it does not mean we put the "Johnny come lately" Grigson on a pedestal. It is fair enough to ask for Grigson to be given a chance but let us not act like Polian did not put in enough pieces to keep the winning going. Polian did fade eventually but he did shine, at least till 2006, IMO.

People have such a short memory. Just because someone has a divorce, it is no reason to "trash" the ones involved in the previous relationship. That is how I see it.

Totally disagree.

You don't know if Brackett, Bullitt and White would be in demand or not. I happen to think that Brackett was the worse run-defending MLB in the NFL over the last 5 years, whereas Melvin Bullitt was one of the worst coverage safety's in the league when he played. These 2 were intrical parts in what was consistently one of the worse defenses in the league. And the only reason Blair White even got any PT is because we were ravaged by injury at the WR position. The only reason he produced the little bit that he did was because Peyton Manning was throwing the ball to him. What we do know is that Brackett and Bullitt are available now, and there is no interest in them whatsoever by ANY NFL franchise.

You can cherrypick Saturday or Dominic Rhodes, but for every Jeff Saturday, i've got a Jeff Linkenbach, Gijon Robinson, Daniel Federkeil, Darrell Reid, Jamie Silva, David Caldwell.....the list is endless.

1QB

2Corner

3 is a reach but Ta'amu

4Wide receiver

5Guard, the reason that is so low is do to our delving into free agency for offensive linemen

6Tight End

7Corner to develop or Ill even go Linebacker if Freeny doesnt workout or gets released or traded

The upside here is that now we don't have to reach for an NT in the draft. I'd still like to get one, if we can get a good value player for the position, but it's not such a priority that we have to spend a high round pick on a mid-to-late round guy just because we have a glaring need.

IMO it would be really nice if Ta'amu fell to the third, since I want Fleener in the second (assuming he falls). Of course, who knows how things will shake out. But, like I said, if we have a guy the coaches think can be an adequate starter, we don't have to hit the panic button with a draft pick.

That's *exactly* what the McKinney signing was about, as well as all of the other recent signings (ie Justice, McGlynn, Satele, etc etc).

None of these guys are long term answers at their positions. I mean, McKinney is a career backup... Not someone who'll likely be your starter for 5-10 years. But what their signings do allow you to do, is to be flexible during draft time and not be forced to draft someone too early just because you need a specific position filled.

In short, this allows you to pick the BPA the entire draft and not overreach. I wouldn't be surprised if we spend a few early picks on nose tackle, offensive guard, and/or right tackle (although TE is a big glaring hole right now). It just depends on who falls to us.

The upside here is that now we don't have to reach for an NT in the draft. I'd still like to get one, if we can get a good value player for the position, but it's not such a priority that we have to spend a high round pick on a mid-to-late round guy just because we have a glaring need.

IMO it would be really nice if Ta'amu fell to the third, since I want Fleener in the second (assuming he falls). Of course, who knows how things will shake out. But, like I said, if we have a guy the coaches think can be an adequate starter, we don't have to hit the panic button with a draft pick.

Well said!

Totally disagree.

You don't know if Brackett, Bullitt and White would be in demand or not. I happen to think that Brackett was the worse run-defending MLB in the NFL over the last 5 years, whereas Melvin Bullitt was one of the worst coverage safety's in the league when he played. These 2 were intrical parts in what was consistently one of the worse defenses in the league. And the only reason Blair White even got any PT is because we were ravaged by injury at the WR position. The only reason he produced the little bit that he did was because Peyton Manning was throwing the ball to him. What we do know is that Brackett and Bullitt are available now, and there is no interest in them whatsoever by ANY NFL franchise.

You can cherrypick Saturday or Dominic Rhodes, but for every Jeff Saturday, i've got a Jeff Linkenbach, Gijon Robinson, Daniel Federkeil, Darrell Reid, Jamie Silva, David Caldwell.....the list is endless.

YOUR WRONG, Both Brackett & Bullet played WELL helped get us to a Super Bowl & were in DEMAND as free agents when they where resigned Period.

I wonder how "sleek" the new NIKE jersey will look on Brandon? I think this is a good signing...like other have said, he's not a game changer, but we can't afford to sign a game changer at every position. He's a stopgap (no pun intended) signing who knows Pagano's system and can give us a NT for a couple of years while we develop a NT from the draft, maybe.

It'll be nice to see some beef on our defensive line!!!

Heck yeah beef indeed! Exactly what we needed.

Beefcake!!!!!!

ts93400closeupofsouthpa.jpg

Only thing I remember is a undersized Defense that couldn't stop the run with two of the best pass rushers in the game. Our D was built wrong and we lacked Playoff and Superbowl wins because of it. Only thing saved us 85% of the time was #18 plain and simple the other 25% was Freeney and Mathis.

Only thing I remember is a undersized Defense that couldn't stop the run with two of the best pass rushers in the game. Our D was built wrong and we lacked Playoff and Superbowl wins because of it. Only thing saved us 85% of the time was #18 plain and simple the other 25% was Freeney and Mathis.

You shouldn't knock people for giving 110%.

Mel Kiper has us signing defensive lineman Kendall Reyes in the second round.

http://insider.espn....raft-two-rounds

Kendall Reyes

Defensive Tackle

SCOUTS GRADE

Grading Scale

• ConnecticutSchool
  • Big EastConference

• 6'4⅛"Height
  • 299 lbsWeight

• 33.2"Arm Length
  • 9.4"Hand Size

• 36Overall Rank
  • 5Positional Rank

CAREER NCAA FOOTBALL STATS

TACKLES FUMBLES FORCED INT 46 — —

2012 Draft Pick Info

TEAM ROUND PICK — — —

Possible Destinations

Scouts Inc. Player Evaluations

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 "2007: Redshirt. 2008: (11/4) 20 tackles (3 TFL), 1.5 sacks. 2009: (13/12) 37 tackles (6 TFL), 3 sacks. 2010: (13/13) 39 tackles (10 TFL), 2.5 sacks. Career: 2 INT, 6 PBU." Height-Weight-Speed 3 Below average but adequate weight. Average height and above average top-end speed. Durability 2 "Injured ankle during 2008 Louisville game and missed North Carolina game the following week. However, has appeared in 37 games with 29 starts. " Intangibles 2 Named team captain for 2010 season. Has lined up at defensive end and defensive tackle.

Defensive Tackle Specific Traits

Versus the Run 2 Could play with better pad level at times but rarely gave ground one-on-one and flashed ability to anchor against double teams despite lack of ideal size. Flashed ability to drive blocker into the backfield and can force back to redirect. Strong and can lift interior offensive linemen off their feet when wins the battle of leverage. Capable of stacking and shedding in a two-gap scheme. Above average instincts for an interior defensive lineman and located the ball quickly. Above average range for an interior defensive lineman and can make plays outside the tackle box. Pass Rush Skills 3 Too much of a one-dimensional power rusher at this point. Shed blocks quicker as a run defender than did as a pass rusher. Doesn't close as well as some other defensive tackles in class but has enough quickness and agility to develop into a productive interior pass rusher at the next level. Quickness (hands/feet) 2 "Above average first-step quickness for size. Showed above-average lateral mobility when scraping down the line of scrimmage. More than athletic enough to make a success transition to 5-technique in a base three-man front. Effective hand fighter that can shoot hands inside and lock on before most offensive linemen are able to lock onto his frame. However, could be more violent with hands when rushing the passer. " Toughness/Motor 2 Doesn't give much ground or back down in phone booth. Chased outside runs. Made plays with second effort and played hard late in blowout loss to Michigan in 2010. Inconsistent motor but fatigue may be bigger issue than work ethic.

Hopefully Grigson has a Bill Tobin attitude towards Kiper and Wolfe is available instead.

Sheeze....... Some folks on this board would complain about a scratch on a gold bar you just gave them......

This guy is probably not going to the hall of fame......

But .... We did improve our roster today

With a much needed large body.

Alot of them would have been happier if we had resigned Eric Foster or Daniel Muir.....lol

YOUR WRONG, Both Brackett & Bullet played WELL helped get us to a Super Bowl & were in DEMAND as free agents when they where resigned Period.

Yeah, I got to go with KarlKuffs on this one. They were only in demand to us and our system. (and it's You're......sorry, pet peeve)

Meh. I dont expect this guy to be the savior at NT. But he could be servicable. I still expect us to go offense with our first two picks and then defense with our remaining picks. Unless theres a huge steal there. With our roster, BPA would actually help.

I'd like to see us go WR/TE in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and then DT/CB/S/LB going forward, in whatever order.

Totally disagree.

You don't know if Brackett, Bullitt and White would be in demand or not. I happen to think that Brackett was the worse run-defending MLB in the NFL over the last 5 years, whereas Melvin Bullitt was one of the worst coverage safety's in the league when he played. These 2 were intrical parts in what was consistently one of the worse defenses in the league. And the only reason Blair White even got any PT is because we were ravaged by injury at the WR position. The only reason he produced the little bit that he did was because Peyton Manning was throwing the ball to him.

Run defense is a function of the DTs holding off the OLs before they can get to the LBs so that the LBs and/or DBs can finish the plays. Your whole premise of blaming Brackett exclusively for the run D is short sighted. The LBs we let go - Clint Session, Cato June, Mike Peterson, David Thornton were all signed by other teams after they played out their rookie contract. Brackett could have gotten lesser money somewhere else, his 3rd contract was overpaying him for his age, I agree on the overpaying part but not the fact that would not be in demand anywhere. The same reason that Bob Sanders and our secondary was one of the top 5 injured secondaries in the league (because they had to play the run more because the DTs or even our DEs could not hold them at a stalemate for the LBs or DBs to come in and finish the plays) is the same reason our LBs could not stop the run, back to D-line. Blame Polian and the Dungy philosophy for the D-line before you blame Brackett exclusively for our run D. I was just as frustrated with it as you were. It was not like Clint Session did not take himself out of several plays as well by taking bad angles.

Ray Lewis had his numbers go down after his 2000 SB winning season only for it to pick up again once Ngata was drafted and groomed for the middle. Brian Urlacher has his issues on run D as well when the D-line of the Bears had issues.

Melvin Bullitt did play well in that 2009 season when he got the most playing time, he did so in the 2008 season too. Yes, he was not elite like Bob Sanders, by no means, but he was serviceable enough as a backup safety and was a very good ST player as well. He was played closer to the box in Coyer's first season too. These numbers prove that point. Under Ron Meeks' last year, he defensed more passes in 2008 (always felt Ron Meeks coached a better secondary than Coyer, expect the Chargers' secondary to improve this year since he is secondary coach):

http://www.pro-footb.../B/BullMe99.htm

He was in slight demand after the 2010 offseason, which is when we gave him that ill-advised contract (ill-advised mainly because they did not evaluate his injury history well enough, IMO).

Blair White - my basis for knowing he was contacted by a handful of teams when he went undrafted is this:

http://statenews.com...ianapolis_colts

I will give you this - Polian drafted players at Buffalo, at Carolina, and at Indianapolis to suit the system. So, yes, they were more valuable to our system than someone else's. But it does not mean that they were useless for any other system when they were in their prime.

Right now, we are treating Grigson's signings like they are the greatest things since sliced bread. I get it, we want a reason to get excited and want ammo for that. But at the same time, I am just asking people to hold their horses because a new toy (new for the Colts) is always to going shine bright before it loses its luster like any other used one and then becomes a run-of-the-mill one. We all were super excited and stoked when Donald Brown was drafted, flashing back a few years ago :).

Yeah, I got to go with KarlKuffs on this one. They were only in demand to us and our system. (and it's You're......sorry, pet peeve)

Your wrong Giants offered big money to Brackeet & Bullet had multiple offers as well, heck just heard even with a bum shoulder people are looking at Bullet Source Sirus NFL radio.

Run defense is a function of the DTs holding off the OLs before they can get to the LBs so that the LBs and/or DBs can finish the plays. Your whole premise of blaming Brackett exclusively for the run D is short sighted. The LBs we let go - Clint Session, Cato June, Mike Peterson, David Thornton were all signed by other teams after they played out their rookie contract. Brackett could have gotten lesser money somewhere else, his 3rd contract was overpaying him for his age, I agree on the overpaying part but not the fact that would not be in demand anywhere. The same reason that Bob Sanders and our secondary was one of the top 5 injured secondaries in the league (because they had to play the run more because the DTs or even our DEs could not hold them at a stalemate for the LBs or DBs to come in and finish the plays) is the same reason our LBs could not stop the run, back to D-line. Blame Polian and the Dungy philosophy for the D-line before you blame Brackett exclusively for our run D. I was just as frustrated with it as you were. It was not like Clint Session did not take himself out of several plays as well by taking bad angles.

Ray Lewis had his numbers go down after his 2000 SB winning season only for it to pick up again once Ngata was drafted and groomed for the middle. Brian Urlacher has his issues on run D as well when the D-line of the Bears had issues.

Melvin Bullitt did play well in that 2009 season when he got the most playing time, he did so in the 2008 season too. Yes, he was not elite like Bob Sanders, by no means, but he was serviceable enough as a backup safety and was a very good ST player as well. He was played closer to the box in Coyer's first season too. These numbers prove that point. Under Ron Meeks' last year, he defensed more passes in 2008 (always felt Ron Meeks coached a better secondary than Coyer, expect the Chargers' secondary to improve this year since he is secondary coach):

http://www.pro-footb.../B/BullMe99.htm

He was in slight demand after the 2010 offseason, which is when we gave him that ill-advised contract (ill-advised mainly because they did not evaluate his injury history well enough, IMO).

Blair White - my basis for knowing he was contacted by a handful of teams when he went undrafted is this:

http://statenews.com...ianapolis_colts

I will give you this - Polian drafted players at Buffalo, at Carolina, and at Indianapolis to suit the system. So, yes, they were more valuable to our system than someone else's. But it does not mean that they were useless for any other system when they were in their prime.

Right now, we are treating Grigson's signings like they are the greatest things since sliced bread. I get it, we want a reason to get excited and want ammo for that. But at the same time, I am just asking people to hold their horses because a new toy (new for the Colts) is always to going shine bright before it loses its luster like any other used one and then becomes a run-of-the-mill one. We all were super excited and stoked when Donald Brown was drafted, flashing back a few years ago :).

AH someone gets it. Not surprising its Chad who actually nos something!

A team like the ravens have great players at the DT spot.......

A "good" player that cant beat out the star ....... Is MILEs ahead of what WE have on our roster today

Its a good pickup........

We can take a chance on a late NT in the draft for rotation.

I am starting to like Fleener more and more with the second pick.

Since we helped our OL in FA,

We can now go DB with the 3rd, and 4th......

True, but I'll see your Thornton, Session and Peterson and raise you a Tyjuan Hagler, Gilbert Gardner, and Freddy Keiaho. :P lol Just givin ya a hard time. :) I do think that overall, Polian was definitely one of the better GM's at finding late round and undrafted talent, but he had his misses as well, that's for sure. That's the same for all GM's though but I do think Polian was right more often than he was wrong.

Oh and I didn't include Cato June because he didn't do anything really with Tampa Bay after he left the Colts. I think they realized what the colts SHOULD have realized and that is that June had no business playing LB in the NFL. He started out in college as a cornerback and was moved to safety after an injury took away some of his athleticism (or something like that...at least that's what I read). A guy going from CB to Safety to LB is something that only happens in Bizarro world. :)

Alot of them would have been happier if we had resigned Eric Foster or Daniel Muir.....lol

No now Grigson brings in a bunch of stiffs & people are like lordy hes awesome because he brought in a 340 non starter for 6 YEARS WEEEEEEEEEEEEE. The ONLY GOOD SIGN'S so for are Satele & the shot on Avery. Maybe Zib we will see. I have to laugh He brings in some loser OL guys from the Eagles who by the way line SUCKED & the OL is fixed. Ladies & gentlemen buckle up its going to be a LONGGGGGGGGG year. LOL