Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Nt Brandon Mckinney [Merge]

Nobody

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I see in the post above it's now around 12 million and that's after quite a few signings, so I was correct, the Colts had and still have a lot of cap space to work with.

As of right now, yeah. But we're going to draft 10 players, and we'll still need another 20 players to fill out the 80 man roster. Based on projections, we don't have lots of cap space to work with. There's flexibility with a couple players on the roster, so there's not a whole lot of concern. I think our front office has been very prudent with their signings and resignings this offseason. To this point, I give the offseason a B+. But with the dead cap hits from our released players, going back to training camp of last year, we're up against it on the cap.

As of right now, yeah. But we're going to draft 10 players, and we'll still need another 20 players to fill out the 80 man roster. Based on projections, we don't have lots of cap space to work with. There's flexibility with a couple players on the roster, so there's not a whole lot of concern. I think our front office has been very prudent with their signings and resignings this offseason. To this point, I give the offseason a B+. But with the dead cap hits from our released players, going back to training camp of last year, we're up against it on the cap.

I'm not complaining about the signings (I'm not ready to tag them as great signings yet, either). This is from LaConforna on March 30

Indianapolis Colts

Current contracts: 51

Previous year carryover: $2,508,682.00

Adjustments: $5,252,623.00

Adjusted cap: $128,361,305.00

Team cap: $117,736,787.00

Cap room: $10,624,518.00

Team cash: $86,801,572.00

Now, according to an article at 49ernation they have about $4 million going to the 1st year rookie cap. Even if you double that for the Colts since they have higher draft picks, that still elaves about 2.6 million in cap space. That is a bunch. The 20 guys to fill out an 80 man roster don't count because only the top 51 salaries count towards the cap during the offseason/preseaon(whatever this time of year is called).

Again, I don't know all the ins and outs of the caps and contracts, but I do know the Colts had only about 1 tp 1.5 million in cap space the year they signed Corey Simon to a big contract.

I'm not complaining about the signings (I'm not ready to tag them as great signings yet, either). This is from LaConforna on March 30

Indianapolis Colts

Current contracts: 51

Previous year carryover: $2,508,682.00

Adjustments: $5,252,623.00

Adjusted cap: $128,361,305.00

Team cap: $117,736,787.00

Cap room: $10,624,518.00

Team cash: $86,801,572.00

Now, according to an article at 49ernation they have about $4 million going to the 1st year rookie cap. Even if you double that for the Colts since they have higher draft picks, that still elaves about 2.6 million in cap space. That is a bunch. The 20 guys to fill out an 80 man roster don't count because only the top 51 salaries count towards the cap during the offseason/preseaon(whatever this time of year is called).

Again, I don't know all the ins and outs of the caps and contracts, but I do know the Colts had only about 1 tp 1.5 million in cap space the year they signed Corey Simon to a big contract.

This is from Frog:

Add in Draft pick #1 at $4.2MM

Add in Draft pick #34 at $1.4MM

Add in Draft pick #65 at $0.9MM

That's $6.5 million to the cap for our top three picks next year. Add in the other seven picks at minimum (I think it's $375k), and that's an additional $2.625 million, for a total of $9.125 million for rookie draft picks.

You're right about the top 51 rule for camp, so we should be okay with our 80 man roster. But come cut time, we're talking about a 53 man roster, including Freeney at $19 million. If the numbers shake out okay, then fine. I'm not overly worried about them. I just don't think we should carry Freeney at his current cap hit. It's nonsensical, if you ask me.

This is from Frog:

Add in Draft pick #1 at $4.2MM

Add in Draft pick #34 at $1.4MM

Add in Draft pick #65 at $0.9MM
The numbers for #34 and #65 are a bit high. If you look at last year pick #34(Williams) his cap hit was .9 and pick #65 (McClain) was .55.
You're right about the top 51 rule for camp, so we should be okay with our 80 man roster. But come cut time, we're talking about a 53 man roster, including Freeney at $19 million. If the numbers shake out okay, then fine. I'm not overly worried about them. I just don't think we should carry Freeney at his current cap hit. It's nonsensical, if you ask me.

Yeah, Freeney restructuring will help and they will probably get it done it since it would be better for Freeney to convert his 2012 salary to a signing bonus. It's probably that right now, his new agent is busy working with draft prospects.

Plus, I can guarantee that the salary cap is not going to prevent them from signing any free agent they want to sign.

No good all round player Now you got it!! :rolleyes:

Now that I got the laughter out of my system, anytime you want to do an in depth technical breakdown and explain to us how Gary Brackett was/is a good run defender, the same way I did an in depth technical breakdown to explain exactly why he WASN'T/ISN'T a good run defender (at all), then i'll be all ears. You saying so doesn't make it so.

CBS Sports has an interesting take on a possible nose tackle prospect for the Colts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/18471790/projecting-the-draft-indianapolis-colts

NT Josh Chapman, Alabama (NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 108)

As the Colts transition to coach Pagano's 3-4 defensive scheme, the addition of a nose tackle to anchor the middle of that three-man front is imperative to the overall defensive success. The Colts' currently have Antonio Johnson and Brandon McKinney slated to share the nose tackle duties, but neither is considered the long-term answer and depth at this position is never a bad thing. Chapman (6-1, 316) manned the middle of Nick Saban's 3-4 defense in college and might be the most natural nose tackle in this draft class. He has been somewhat of an afterthought during the pre-draft process because he has been shelved after tearing his ACL, despite playing through the pain for several weeks. Chapman is still rehabbing from the injury, but would be a nice pick in the fourth round for Indy to groom as their nose tackle of the future.

Now that I got the laughter out of my system, anytime you want to do an in depth technical breakdown and explain to us how Gary Brackett was/is a good run defender, the same way I did an in depth technical breakdown to explain exactly why he WASN'T/ISN'T a good run defender (at all), then i'll be all ears. You saying so doesn't make it so.

Well certainly you re entitled to your opinion. No Brackett was not Ray Lewis or Urlacker, but he was good. I think he did a good job especially given the quality & size of our DT's. TECHNICAL BREAKDOWN NOW I am LAUGHING PLEASE :lol:

Well certainly you re entitled to your opinion. No Brackett was not Ray Lewis or Urlacker, but he was good. I think he did a good job especially given the quality & size of our DT's. TECHNICAL BREAKDOWN NOW I am LAUGHING PLEASE :lol:

Yep.....just as I thought: you can't.

Yep.....just as I thought: you can't.

Nope no time right this second to respond to nonsense, but the comment of our DT's could go a long way starting one. When your DT's are CONSISTENTLY MANHANDLED Playing MLB gets amazingly tough, because there is always someone free on him. Allowing HUGE running lanes to GASH us. I am guessing you haven't played much ball. heck we can just take the hit Brackett but on Bettis in the playoff game at the goal line which caused a fumble & which almost turned the game in our favor as you could play the run OK!

Nope no time right this second to respond to nonsense, but the comment of our DT's could go a long way starting one. When your DT's are CONSISTENTLY MANHANDLED Playing MLB gets amazingly tough, because there is always someone free on him. Allowing HUGE running lanes to GASH us. I am guessing you haven't played much ball. heck we can just take the hit Brackett but on Bettis in the playoff game at the goal line which caused a fumble & which almost turned the game in our favor as you could play the run OK!

Yeah....earlier in this thread, the way that I broke down EXACTLY the techniques involved in playing MLB, clearly i've never played the game before. Especially not MLB.

You, on the other hand, have obviously played alot of football in your day. You're a walking encyclopedia of the game. rotflmao

I'm done with you and this thread.

Yeah....earlier in this thread, the way that I broke down EXACTLY the techniques involved in playing MLB, clearly i've never played the game before. Especially not MLB.

You, on the other hand, have obviously played alot of football in your day. You're a walking encyclopedia of the game. rotflmao

I'm done with you and this thread.

I have played alot of ball D1 to be exact & clearly you can't or wont see the Brackett actually was pretty good. Good enough that we got to 2 Super bowls & won 1. & know I didn't need an encyclopedia to see the obvious. Honestly I don't care! I am now done with your Technical breakdown Of nothing! :facepalm: I guess Brackett only had one play verse the run which I have mentioned in his whole career & lasted this long because :thanks: he sucked GOT IT

CBS Sports has an interesting take on a possible nose tackle prospect for the Colts

http://www.cbssports...ianapolis-colts

As the Colts transition to coach Pagano's 3-4 defensive scheme, the addition of a nose tackle to anchor the middle of that three-man front is imperative to the overall defensive success. The Colts' currently have Antonio Johnson and Brandon McKinney slated to share the nose tackle duties, but neither is considered the long-term answer and depth at this position is never a bad thing. Chapman (6-1, 316) manned the middle of Nick Saban's 3-4 defense in college and might be the most natural nose tackle in this draft class. He has been somewhat of an afterthought during the pre-draft process because he has been shelved after tearing his ACL, despite playing through the pain for several weeks. Chapman is still rehabbing from the injury, but would be a nice pick in the fourth round for Indy to groom as their nose tackle of the future.

If Chapman is still there in the 4th then I hope we take him and never look back. Honestly I'd be willing to spend the 3rd round pick on him. He was at one time considered first round talent but a sub-par year led to his stock dropping, until it came out he was playing injured.

An article was written earlier this year ranking the strongest college players and Josh Chapman came in at #1 with Dontari Poe coming in 2nd. That's pretty impressive, especially considering Poe has 20-30 lbs on Chapman.

http://www.cbssports...ianapolis-colts

I would much rather have Nicolas Jean Baptiste. Chapman coming off an ACL tear does not bode well IMO. The Colts have had enough bad luck trying to get a decent DT. Now, for a 4th rder. I wouldn't complain too much about it, but like I said Baptiste would be better IMO.