Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Nt Brandon Mckinney [Merge]

Nobody

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and we werent going to get much better with the undersized defensive linemen strategy jeesh

Precisely. We had two pass rushing DEs, and 2 pass rushing tackles. Absolutely nothing about their approach was run focused. At least now, we're bulking up the middle, which will hopefully force more runs outside.

In any case, I would expect a major turn around in year one based on the new philosophy alone. I would also expect it improves yearly as they can acquire more and more talent.

Precisely. We had two pass rushing DEs, and 2 pass rushing tackles. Absolutely nothing about their approach was run focused. At least now, we're bulking up the middle, which will hopefully force more runs outside.

In any case, I would expect a major turn around in year one based on the new philosophy alone. I would also expect it improves yearly as they can acquire more and more talent.

Im looking forward to seeing Hickman and especially Freeman play

This is probably a better way to sum up the quality of our defensive line play:

http://www.nfl.com/s...=true&Submit=Go

We were in the bottom 5 of total rushing yards allowed.

Agreed. Thanks...our defensive line definitely struggled last year so any help we can get even if it is primarily rotational depth is good. At least we now have a NT who fits the new scheme. Hopefully we can add another in the draft.

Agreed. Thanks...our defensive line definitely struggled last year so any help we can get even if it is primarily rotational depth is good. At least we now have a NT who fits the new scheme. Hopefully we can add another in the draft.

I would agree with that. My guess is they could even find a UDFA if they strike out in the draft on NT worthy guys. But I would like to think that they can find someone who can at least fill in if McKinney gets injured. At this point, serviceable players are major upgrades on the defensive line.

Who are Hickman and Freeman?

A couple of guys the Colts picked up from the CFL. Some people seem to think they will be productive players for the team, but IMO they are probably nothing more than camp fodder and will be lucky to make the team, although they may be able to contribute on special teams.

I like this pickup. I can't believe that there is people complaining. I think all of the people we have signed is an huge upgrade. The old regime (The Polians, the front office, and Caldwell is gone its dead and thank goodness and good riddance it is..

Quite frankly I am so glad we won't have the same small players, that the Polians loved and the same pathetic old defense and etc. Who could not stop anyone.We don't know how Brandon will do for us or any new players we have signed in FA. We haven't played our first game. I can't believe people are counting him out. Lets give him a chance. I like this new regime and the new look of the Colts.

I like this pickup. I can't believe that there is people complaining. I think all of the people we have signed is an huge upgrade.

Based on what?
The old regime (The Polians, the front office, and Caldwell is gone its dead and thank goodness and good riddance it is..
Yup they are gone. replaced by a GM who has never been a GM before and a HC who has never been a HC before (became the DC of a stacked defense for one year) an OC, whom many fans from his previous team are glad to see him gone) and the only DC on the NFL that managed to allow more 3rd downs converted than the Colts (actually more any team in at least the past decade, I didn't look beyond 2001).
Quite frankly I am so glad we won't have the same small players,
Am I the only one that sees the irony of a poster with the monkier "DwightFreeneyRules" complaining about small players?
that the Polians loved
You do realize it wasn't the Polians that wanted to the smaller defensive players don't you? That was the coaches, the Polian's just found players that matched the criteria the coaches set forth. That is why there was a drastic difference in the LBers, safeties and DEs drafted between Mora and Dungy and then why there was a difference in the DTs and CBs drafted between Dungy and Caldwell.
and the same pathetic old defense and etc.
Yeah, I'm glad Coyer is gone as well.

Who could not stop anyone.We don't know how Brandon will do for us or any new players we have signed in FA. We haven't played our first game. I can't believe people are counting him out. Lets give him a chance. I like this new regime and the new look of the Colts.

So it's okay to like the new regime even though they haven't played a game but it's not okay to not like the new regime because they haven't played a game yet?

Based on what?

Yup they are gone. replaced by a GM who has never been a GM before and a HC who has never been a HC before (became the DC of a stacked defense for one year) an OC, whom many fans from his previous team are glad to see him gone) and the only DC on the NFL that managed to allow more 3rd downs converted than the Colts (actually more any team in at least the past decade, I didn't look beyond 2001).

Am I the only one that sees the irony of a poster with the monkier "DwightFreeneyRules" complaining about small players?

You do realize it wasn't the Polians that wanted to the smaller defensive players don't you? That was the coaches, the Polian's just found players that matched the criteria the coaches set forth. That is why there was a drastic difference in the LBers, safeties and DEs drafted between Mora and Dungy and then why there was a difference in the DTs and CBs drafted between Dungy and Caldwell. Yeah, I'm glad Coyer is gone as well.

So it's okay to like the new regime even though they haven't played a game but it's not okay to not like the new regime because they haven't played a game yet?

:edit: . .the guy posts his opinion and you are trying to turn it into a full on debate.....

Edited by PeytonGirl
removed JC as exclamation/some find offensive

Based on the roster moves the current regime has undertaken thus far, I am impressed.

IMO, they have demonstrated a remarkable ability to squeeze value for the team with limited resources.

I look forward to their continued good decisions in the upcoming draft.

I agree. They have managed to upgrade(hopefully) some of the positions the Colts were weakest at with very little cap space. I would still like to see Freeney given his walking papers so they could use that money elsewhere. Regardless of whether Freeney is a good fit or not in the 3-4 scheme, his contract hit is way too much.

:edit:. . .

No, just Coffeedrinker, but I do understand the confusion.
the guy posts his opinion and you are trying to turn it into a full on debate.....

And I posted mine and some questions. Oh well, this used to be a forum where people could debate. Edited by PeytonGirl

I agree. They have managed to upgrade(hopefully) some of the positions the Colts were weakest at with very little cap space. I would still like to see Freeney given his walking papers so they could use that money elsewhere. Regardless of whether Freeney is a good fit or not in the 3-4 scheme, his contract hit is way too much.

I'm not a cap guru so, ... where is the idea of very little cap space coming from? An article I read was after the did not give Manning his signing bonus the Colts had about $20 million in cap space and right before they signed Avery they still had like $14 million, which in cap dollars is basically enough to sign all the rookies and 3 or 4 superstar players.

Let's try to remain civil here, folks. All opinions are welcome as long as they are backed up with good evidence. We encourage people to post their opinions on the different topics and we encourage discussion. However, use your best judgement when posting something (try not to bait other members or call them out; taking shots at other members is against the rules).

I'm not a cap guru so, hopefully you're not like some and whine when you get questioned, where is the idea of very little cap space coming from? An article I read was after the did not give Manning his signing bonus the Colts had about $20 million in cap space and right before they signed Avery they still had like $14 million, which in cap dollars is basically enough to sign all the rookies and 3 or 4 superstar players.

You are mistaken.

There is, in fact, very little cap space for the team.

My estimate of the remaining cap currently is $11.13MM, which is actually about $1MM more than what was reported by nfl.com.

Cap space calculation method 1: From beginning of LY to first day of regular season: top 51 contracts

Available Cap Space w/o budget for draft picks = $11.13

Available Cap Space w/budget for draft picks = $1.92

Cap space calculation method 2: From first day of regular season to end of LY: All contracts

Available Cap Space w/o budget for draft picks = $6.84

Available Cap Space w/budget for draft picks =($2.37)

Currently, at this time of the off-season, the team is using method 1 to calculate team cap according to CBA.

Eventually, the team will have to use method 2 when the first day of the regular season begins, according to the CBA.

We have 10 draft picks (including compensatory picks).

1) Luck/RG3 will command the overall #1 pick compensation which will hit the cap at about $4.2MM for this year.

2) Picks #34 and #64 will also command slight premiums above rookie minimum totaling an aggregate of $1.5MM.

3) The remaining 9 picks will command rookie minimums at $390K each.

4) The budget for draftees is therefore $9.21M

So you can see that there is very little money to sign any expensive FA, unless you want to consider not signing some of your draft picks.

I'm not a cap guru so, hopefully you're not like some and whine when you get questioned, where is the idea of very little cap space coming from? An article I read was after the did not give Manning his signing bonus the Colts had about $20 million in cap space and right before they signed Avery they still had like $14 million, which in cap dollars is basically enough to sign all the rookies and 3 or 4 superstar players.

Im no cap guru myself. Im just going off the calculations done by Frog and Firejim. They are both very wise with the cap and have explained just how little money the Colts have had to work with this offseason with all the dead cap money that still counts against this yrs. cap.

I am just wondering people on this posts are trying to say that the old D method was good and that we had good players but wasn't the idea that our offense would just score more points than the other teams. So really if we want to be competitive going forward we would have to change our defense and so really any addition or change is a step in the right direction. and in a division with CJ, MJD and Foster and we can't stop the run. and if we had a good D we should have beaten cinci and the jags last year. it was when DB had a big game and Orlovsky had a good game that we won so again Offense worked not D. ya we have good pieces in Freeney, Mathis, Angerer, Powers and Bethea. but we need all the help and up sizing possible to even have a decent D and complaining about getting a rotation NT from Baltimore is ridiculous they are known for good D and people are giving out about getting players from there team come on. while i understand being cautious why not believe in the moves the team are doing and be optimistic. i love the fact we are being so proactive with so little cap space to do a major restructure. Believe and good things happen.

I am just wondering people on this posts are trying to say that the old D method was good and that we had good players but wasn't the idea that our offense would just score more points than the other teams. So really if we want to be competitive going forward we would have to change our defense and so really any addition or change is a step in the right direction. and in a division with CJ, MJD and Foster and we can't stop the run. and if we had a good D we should have beaten cinci and the jags last year. it was when DB had a big game and Orlovsky had a good game that we won so again Offense worked not D. ya we have good pieces in Freeney, Mathis, Angerer, Powers and Bethea. but we need all the help and up sizing possible to even have a decent D and complaining about getting a rotation NT from Baltimore is ridiculous they are known for good D and people are giving out about getting players from there team come on. while i understand being cautious why not believe in the moves the team are doing and be optimistic. i love the fact we are being so proactive with so little cap space to do a major restructure. Believe and good things happen.

I am trying to stay optimistic. I have excepted the new team and hope for success. However, believing in good things doesn't mean they will happen. I remember believing Irsay would bring Peyton back because of all his comments during the season and even after we had the #1 pick and he didn't so we don't know what will happen. So far since we have determined to go in this direction the only thing I can say negatively with what we have as far as the roster goes is that we still have Freeney on it. Of course if they haven't received a decent offer for him than I understand holding out but I just think moving forward to get better and truely embrace this new scheme we will have to move on from him. We have to wait to see the draft and then how well the team is coached. Also..as bad as I thought Caldwell was at coaching and making game decisions Pagano has never made any so he could be worse. However, I am going to stay positive...hope we keep Luck healthy and slowly progress.

Vince Wilfork has 13 career sacks, this place would go nuts if we ended up with him on the team

yeah but 13 isnt much more then 9, getting sacks at nose tackle in a 34 isnt a need, thats what linebackers are for

Believe me, i'm not blaming Brackett exclusively. There's plenty of blame to go around for our porous run defense, but Gary Brackett deserves just as much criticism as anyone else. It's his job as MLB to minimize the running yardage gained by opposing runningbacks once they get past the DL, and he simply wasn't effective at doing that. If you isolate the play of Gary Brackett, it's very clear that he is undersized & lacks the requisite strength & vision to be an effective one-on-one run defender. More often than not, he reacted late in identifying the direction at which a ballcarrier was running the ball, so that by the time he actually got to the ballcarrier, the ballcarrier was running at full steam, and Brackett, being undersized and lacking strength, allowed 5-7 more yards than he should have. When your undersized and understrenghted and you react late to plays, you are unable to utilize proper tackling technique.....leveling your shoulder, hitting the ball carrier around the middle & then wrapping up. This also happened to Gary Brackett quite often.

I'm sorry, but Gary Brackett, by any measure, is a poor run defender.

Thats why he was our defensive captain. because they usually pick the worst guy got it!! FOOLISH

Based on what?

You do realize it wasn't the Polians that wanted to the smaller defensive players don't you? That was the coaches, the Polian's just found players that matched the criteria the coaches set forth. That is why there was a drastic difference in the LBers, safeties and DEs drafted between Mora and Dungy and then why there was a difference in the DTs and CBs drafted between Dungy and Caldwell. Yeah, I'm glad Coyer is gone as well.

Coffee I agree with you WHAT?

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, April 8, 2012 - inflammatory
Hidden by shecolt, April 8, 2012 - inflammatory

Thats why he was our defensive captain. because they usually pick the worst guy got it!! FOOLISH

Excellent retort. You really demonstrated via x's and o's and technically breaking down his play, tendencies and physical tools that Gary Brackett was a good NFL linebacker at defending the run.

Your football acumen is off the charts. I'm obviously engaging with a true genius here, so I look forward to your next piece of brilliant analysis. I'm sure it will be something like: "Me think GaRY BRAckett play hard and do good on Colt definsive unit back when play wuz happening. Football good under HIM!!!!!".

Do yourself a favor, Einstein.....quit embarrassing yourself, deactive your account, and leave this website forever.

Im no cap guru myself. Im just going off the calculations done by Frog and Firejim. They are both very wise with the cap and have explained just how little money the Colts have had to work with this offseason with all the dead cap money that still counts against this yrs. cap.

So, I see in the post above it's now around 12 million and that's after quite a few signings, so I was correct, the Colts had and still have a lot of cap space to work with.