Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Dan Campbell sounds like Mike Singletary when he came in to coach the 49ers, a lot of big talk and hopefully the results aren't like Mike Singletary as HC.

Mike Singletary wasn't as incoherent as Dan Campbell. Yeah he dropped his pants, but he did that as the interim head coach, not at his hiring presser...

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted Eason though I wouldn't want us to blindly roll with him. It'd be nice to nab a vQB like Fitzpatrick or Taylor with intent to start the veteran and to give Eason a lot of work this off-season. And if there is a QB we like in the draft, take them to compete with Eason.

I'm down with Stafford for sure, but I kind of hoped we'd get a franchise guy though in house means. It gives you 4-5 years to grow and retain your top guys before you have to pay a QB big dollars. Bring in someone like Stafford or Prescott and we better hope they take us to the next level quick otherwise we risk really setting ourselves back.

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we can’t get Stafford this would be my preferred option. Just see what Eason can do.  I just don’t see it. Would Jacoby come back if they told him he had to compete with Eason for the starter role? It. Might very well come down to Jacoby, Eason, or a rookie starting. Not many options out there. 

plenty of "options", question will be how expensive and how they work out

1 hour ago, funktacious2 said:

I voted Eason though I wouldn't want us to blindly roll with him. It'd be nice to nab a vQB like Fitzpatrick or Taylor with intent to start the veteran and to give Eason a lot of work this off-season. And if there is a QB we like in the draft, take them to compete with Eason.

I'm down with Stafford for sure, but I kind of hoped we'd get a franchise guy though in house means. It gives you 4-5 years to grow and retain your top guys before you have to pay a QB big dollars. Bring in someone like Stafford or Prescott and we better hope they take us to the next level quick otherwise we risk really setting ourselves back.

I was one of the two who picked Fitz. Its not a sexy pick but it would set us up for the long term, more so than Ryan or Stafford. As you said get Fitz and draft the best Qb you can. I like Mac Jones. I think people wanting a "mobile quarterback " would hate that pick but I think he will be a starting QB somewhere in the NFL.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Don't get your hopes up or hold your breath. 

As I have posted before, I believe the Texans would do it for 3 1st rounders = 2021, 2022, and 2023. They would have several 1st round picks with that and their own. I am not sure Ballard would do that but I believe that is what it would take. That is a fair trade in reality. We would still have picks 2-7 in those 3 seasons + a franchise QB and they would have a lot 1st round picks. With Watson we could still re-sign Nelson and Leonard pretty easily and keep JT and Pittman for the long haul as well. Buck is under contract for 4 more years luckily.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

Dan Campbell sounds like Mike Singletary when he came in to coach the 49ers, a lot of big talk and hopefully the results aren't like Mike Singletary as HC.

For a moment I thought you were referring to Matt Campbell from Iowa State. That would have been a good hire by the Lions. 

Let's see how Dan Campbell works out. He can't be worse than Patricia. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As I have posted before, I believe the Texans would do it for 3 1st rounders = 2021, 2022, and 2023. They would have several 1st round picks with that and their own. I am not sure Ballard would do that but I believe that is what it would take. That is a fair trade in reality. We would still have picks 2-7 in those 3 seasons + a franchise QB and they would have a lot 1st round picks. With Watson we could still re-sign Nelson and Leonard pretty easily and keep JT and Pittman for the long haul as well. Buck is under contract for 4 more years luckily.

Why would Texans trade there best player within the division? It doesn't make any sense to me. 

Just now, superrep1967 said:

Why would Texans trade there best player within the division? It doesn't make any sense to me. 

Because it is Houston and Watson can go where he wants is what people don't realize. Watson has a no trade clause, if Houston tries to trade him to the Jets for example, he can say no I don't want go there.

8 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Would take to much to move up that far

One of the choices in the poll is trading 3 first round picks and more for Watson. That is more than what it would take to move up for Fields. There is also a choice in the poll to trade 2 first round picks for Wilson. That is about what it would take for Fields. Given those two options in the poll, why is Fields not an option?

On 1/20/2021 at 11:54 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

I feel same way as you, do we just let Eason run a season and save cap space. Draft guys for depth (QB if we get the Staffs choice to land right) , sign a few CBs, a good T/G and maybe a TE. If we go 500 take a QB next draft. This would let us build a stronger more complete team and have the cap ready for when the franchise QB choice is made.

I’m answering late, sorry if I don’t agree for the QB.

Eason ain’t no Franchise QB material from what we’ve heard. Ballard doesn’t see him as a QB 2 yet ! 
Next QB draft class isn’t as talented as this year and we need to win now somehow. 
I would wether trade up to draft a QB if Ballard has his guy in this draft, or adress the position in FA and draft LT. 
If we don’t we would waste some years.

8 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Has anyone mentioned Goff?  I read an article stating he didn't like not starting in the playoffs.

Good thought.  This is another wild card, infrequently discussed scenario to keep an eye on. I dont know if you saw McVay’s comments after their playoff loss to GB, but he wasn’t exactly sounding like he was 100% on Goff. I was actually a little surprised to hear him be that non-commital.

The negatives with Goff is that it appears McVay’s scheme and coaching have made him look better than he is and I believe that he is the middle of a large contract.

That being said, he is still young and was the no. 1 overall pick fora reason.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

One of the choices in the poll is trading 3 first round picks and more for Watson. That is more than what it would take to move up for Fields. There is also a choice in the poll to trade 2 first round picks for Wilson. That is about what it would take for Fields. Given those two options in the poll, why is Fields not an option?

I wouldn't trade that much for Fields.   Lawrence yes. 

15 minutes ago, Indeee said:

My pick for QB would be Michael Gallup. Oh wait, he's a WR. Yeah then I will still take Michael Gallup as we need receivers more than a QB right now.

Send Rock to Dallas for Gallup. :thmup:

We don't have a qb,  so no we don't need a wr more than a qb

On 1/21/2021 at 4:24 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard didn't say it was definite.   He didn't rule it out.   He just said as of this minute.    I think he's hoping to find out in April and May.      He still might end up deciding Eason is OK as the back-up.

I was only trying to impress upon those in the "Throw Jacob Eason in and see what we have" crowd that Ballard has crushed that dream for 2021.    But I wouldn't rule out 2022....  at least not yet.

You're kinda riding the fence here, and it's a very very narrow and convenient perch. I don't take anything they say as gospel anyway, so not much would surprise me. For those that hang on words though... 

On 1/21/2021 at 1:26 AM, poilucelt said:

I don't really love Stafford, but I'd put him ahead of Wentz and Darnold (and I don't personally think any of the 3 is worth a 1st round pick--pair of 2nds, maybe, but not a 1st)

Going with Eason or moving up for Lance tells me, even with the Colts' OL and defense, that it's truly a rebuild at this point.

Like I've said in other threads, the Philly to Siranni move would signal they're keeping Wentz, so I'm kinda ruling that out right now. I'd prefer Stafford over Darnold too, but I do think Darnold could possibly surprise if he isn't broke. 

Going with Eason would suggest rebuild to me too. Lance, not so much. Total dice roll on him, but he could be a fast boom, or fast bust.

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

@EastStreet Good job with the polls. :hat:

You have many QB options there but one is a glaring omission. Why not Fields as an option? Did he decide to stay in college?

ouch. I was typing it all out, and accidentally deleted a few lines when I went back to re-org some choices. Guess I forgot that one. 

If I was going to forget one though, glad it was him. Doubt we'd extend the capital to go up that high for him. I like Wilson and Lance much better than him. Perhaps even Trask too. 

Good catch

35 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You're kinda riding the fence here, and it's a very very narrow and convenient perch. I don't take anything they say as gospel anyway, so not much would surprise me. For those that hang on words though... 

I’m just trying to think this thru....

I don’t think Ballard would like to pay TWO QBs, especially if one of the two he needs is already on his roster.  

I’m not sure if anything happens in March, especially this year with Covid.   That leaves April and May to test Eason as much as possible to answer a pretty important question — is he ready to be the backup?   I assume it would be mostly white board work with quizzes.   What to do in this situation or that situation?   Plus film work.   Plus some on field work.  Again, not sure how much of that will be available? 

I don’t think Ballard can wait until camp in July or until the preseason games in August, can he?   By then, if the answer is no, it’s too late to get someone he would feel comfortable with — isn’t it?   Again thinking out loud.

If theres a better scenario, I’m open to it.  Wouldn’t you rather pay Eason on his rookie minimum to be the backup, than someone else 2-3 million to do the same?  

Archived