Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Here's the odds on Stafford's next destination...

San Francisco 49ers +250

Indianapolis Colts +300

Denver Broncos +350

Washington Football Team +500

Carolina Panthers +750

New Orleans Saints +1500

Houston Texans +2000

Pittsburgh Steelers +3000

New York Jets +3300

Chicago Bears +5000

I think he comes here but that depends on how bad Ballard wants him. I say that because we play indoors and our O.Line is better despite even needing a decent LT.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

San Francisco 49ers +250

Indianapolis Colts +300

Denver Broncos +350

Carolina Panthers +750

New Orleans Saints +1500

Houston Texans +2000

New York Jets +3300

Chicago Bears +5000

I saw a similar list tonight and I can't remember where but it listed 8-10 teams and San Fran was not on it.  I had to keep reviewing it to see if I missed it and they were not on it.  Indy and Denver were their top choices.  Go figure.  I think Garopolo might have a no trade clause and an expensive contract so maybe that's it. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he comes here but that depends on how bad Ballard wants him. I say that because we play indoors and our O.Line is better despite even needing a decent LT.

So how does the fact that Indy plays indoors impact what the Lions decide to do?  

Just now, jskinnz said:

So how does the fact that Indy plays indoors impact what the Lions decide to do?  

It really doesn't but Stafford has always played indoors and would probably prefer that. He doesn't have a no trade clause but if they trade him somewhere he doesn't feel comfortable with, he can still refuse to go and just sit the season out. At that point the Lions get nothing like what Barry Sanders did. Stafford is a millionaire so I am sure he would be ok with not even playing anymore if the Lions wanted to play hardball.

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I said in this, or another thread, if it comes down to us and SF, and if the Lions are looking for a 1st this year and next years 2nd, then we will be at a big disadvantage.

SF's #12 is worth our #21 + #54 this year. That's not even looking at next year's 2R. We'd have to throw in a player or our 2nd this year to make up the difference. 

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I saw a similar list tonight and I can't remember where but it listed 8-10 teams and San Fran was not on it.  I had to keep reviewing it to see if I missed it and they were not on it.  Indy and Denver were their top choices.  Go figure.  I think Garopolo might have a no trade clause and an expensive contract so maybe that's it. 

I just don't see Denver as a place Stafford would want to go. And I think they'll try to get him where he wants to go. Could be totally wrong. I think it's SF, Indy, Carolina, Houston, Dallas, or WA.

13 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Like I said above, I think they'll try to get him where he wants to go. I don't think dome really matters as long as the destination isn't cold as hell. 

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said in this, or another thread, if it comes down to us and SF, and if the Lions are looking for a 1st this year and next years 2nd, then we will be at a big disadvantage.

SF's #12 is worth our #21 + #54 this year. That's not even looking at next year's 2R. We'd have to throw in a player or our 2nd this year to make up the difference. 

I just don't see Denver as a place Stafford would want to go. And I think they'll try to get him where he wants to go. Could be totally wrong. I think it's SF, Indy, Carolina, Houston, Dallas, or WA.

Like I said above, I think they'll try to get him where he wants to go. I don't think dome really matters as long as the destination isn't cold as hell. 

Yep, and SF has a couple 'gift' 3rd rounders (compensatory via the NYJ hire of Saleh)

in '21 and '22, either of which could be tossed in as icing on the cake while retaining

their regular 3rd rounders.

If SF wants him bad enough, unless Stafford is dead set on Indy, it'll be an uphill climb

for CB. 

4 hours ago, indykmj said:

Yep, and SF has a couple 'gift' 3rd rounders (compensatory via the NYJ hire of Saleh)

in '21 and '22, either of which could be tossed in as icing on the cake while retaining

If SF wants him bad enough, unless Stafford is dead set on Indy, it'll be an uphill climb

for CB. 

Yup. The only significant thing we have going for us is cap space compared to SF. 

We can compete, just not sure Ballard will go past the line he sets. We do have the $ to put last years team back together for the most part, and add Stafford though. If Ballard thinks that will get us over the hump, I could see him getting into a little bidding war.

My hope though is that Rodgers ends up in SF, making it easier on us.

On 1/26/2021 at 7:00 PM, EastStreet said:

Wouldn't be shocked to see them trade for a QB, or draft one given their draft capital. If they are not 100% sold on Tua, they need to make a move now because it's rare to have the capital they have. Whatever they do, I don't like their future much with Tua behind center. I've simply never had a good feeling about him going that high. 

I think they move on from Tua also. Rumor was they started him early in season was to take a good look at him with so many QB's in the draft.

And I don't think they liked what they seen. I know I didn't lol.

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

San Francisco 49ers +250

Indianapolis Colts +300

Denver Broncos +350

Carolina Panthers +750

New Orleans Saints +1500

Houston Texans +2000

New York Jets +3300

Chicago Bears +5000

Pat's not on list? 

I wonder what bigger fish is on their radar?

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think they move on from Tua also. Rumor was they started him early in season was to take a good look at him with so many QB's in the draft.

And I don't think they liked what they seen. I know I didn't lol.

I think they handled it badly, but don't blame them a whole bunch. Fitzmagic didn't really deserve to lose his starting job, but if they made the switch with the "test Tua" narrative in mind, I understand. Generally, I would have kept him on the bench till they built the OL and skill positions a bit better, but given their riches of draft capital this year, they kinda had to get a gauge on the situation. 

Had it been me, I wouldn't have taken a QB last year at all. I would have simply built the team at some spots, and went all in this year given the capital situation. They're in a rare situation two years in a row, so they are lucky in that respect. They'll likely still be able to recoup some of the value from Tua if they choose to go in another direction.

5 hours ago, indykmj said:

for CB. 

The big question would be "do the Lions want Jimmy G's contract bad enough?". The Lions probably are in line to draft one of their own and the Colts No.21 would easily allow them to move up to say with the Dolphins at No.3, get who they want at QB (2nd or 3rd best rated at least), and still come away with another 3rd rounder for moving up from No.7 to No.3 and giving the Dolphins 2 first rounders (theirs and ours). 

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Pat's not on list? 

I wonder what bigger fish is on their radar?

I was a little surprised too. Knowing BB though, I think he will try to draft and take advantage of the rook contract. They have a lot of holes to fill, and just not sure a big QB move for 21 is the right timing. Now going after one in the draft, or taking one at 15, is very possible. Their 15+46 for instance would get them up around 7 or 8ish.

I do think teams are going to be fighting over Cinci's #5 spot. And they should definitely trade out of it and build around Burrow.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I was a little surprised too. Knowing BB though, I think he will try to draft and take advantage of the rook contract. They have a lot of holes to fill, and just not sure a big QB move for 21 is the right timing. Now going after one in the draft, or taking one at 15, is very possible. Their 15+46 for instance would get them up around 7 or 8ish.

I do think teams are going to be fighting over Cinci's #5 spot. And they should definitely trade out of it and build around Burrow.

That is why the Lions, I anticipate, moving up to the Dolphins spot, and give them their and our first rounders together and still pocket a 3rd for moving up from No.7 to No.3.

This eliminates another team getting the 2nd or 3rd rated QB on their board by moving up to Cinci's #5 spot.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

The big question would be "do the Lions want Jimmy G's contract bad enough?". The Lions probably are in line to draft one of their own and the Colts No.21 would easily allow them to move up to say with the Dolphins at No.3, get who they want at QB (2nd or 3rd best rated at least), and still come away with another 3rd rounder for moving up from No.7 to No.3 and giving the Dolphins 2 first rounders. 

I don't think Jimmy G's contract has any bearing. Why would Detroit want it, and why would it influence things. IMO, given the small dead cap figures, they'll just release him if they intend to go after Stafford or another. JG just won't have value, yet SF doesn't have to move him to get out from under it.

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It really doesn't but Stafford has always played indoors and would probably prefer that. He doesn't have a no trade clause but if they trade him somewhere he doesn't feel comfortable with, he can still refuse to go and just sit the season out. At that point the Lions get nothing like what Barry Sanders did. Stafford is a millionaire so I am sure he would be ok with not even playing anymore if the Lions wanted to play hardball.

One would think he would have some clout after being their guy for so long. They obviously will want to be fairly compensated and use some leverage, but these players have a lot more than what people think. He can whip his bank account info out like Carson Palmer did to the Bengals years ago. Something like $80 million cash. Trade me or I retire. They moved him pretty fast. 

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is why the Lions, I anticipate, moving up to the Dolphins spot, and give them their and our first rounders together and still pocket a 3rd for moving up from No.7 to No.3.

This eliminates another team getting the 2nd or 3rd rated QB on their board by moving up to Cinci's #5 spot.

Perhaps, but I'd bet otherwise when it comes to the Dolphins spot. I fully expect them (Miami) to go after Watson. and that pick ultimately to be Houston's. 

On 1/28/2021 at 2:51 AM, Freenyfan102 said:

Thank God none of your are GM to trade out 1st round pick on a 30 year old QB 

Stafford has been consistently top 10ish despite having some pretty bad supporting casts. 

On 1/28/2021 at 3:42 PM, danlhart87 said:

The rate for most high quality starting QBs starts with a 1

Yup. Most are projecting a 1st, and perhaps even a 1st and 2nd, or 1st and 3rd. 

He's the best option right now if you want

1. ready made QB for a team that wants to win now

2. moderate priced contract

3. still has 5 or more years left.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:19 PM, EastStreet said:

Yup. The only significant thing we have going for us is cap space compared to SF. 

We can compete, just not sure Ballard will go past the line he sets. We do have the $ to put last years team back together for the most part, and add Stafford though. If Ballard thinks that will get us over the hump, I could see him getting into a little bidding war.

My hope though is that Rodgers ends up in SF, making it easier on us.

I actually think the gap between the Colts' better OL (especially in pass-protection) and the 49ers lesser OL is also significant--or at least it was until Castonzo retired

still wondering whether Villanueva and maybe Cam Robinson would be worth at least some consideration in free agency

6 hours ago, poilucelt said:

I actually think the gap between the Colts' better OL (especially in pass-protection) and the 49ers lesser OL is also significant--or at least it was until Castonzo retired

still wondering whether Villanueva and maybe Cam Robinson would be worth at least some consideration in free agency

I'm honestly not worried that much about the OL. I think Nelson or Smith could handle LT if needed. I think we could draft even in the 2nd or 3rd round and several LTs would be fine playing with Nelson next to them as guard. I also think there are several FAs that would be a suitable stop gap. IMO shopping in the draft or in FA will be pretty good this year for T. Even if they take a little step back, they'll stull be above average.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm honestly not worried that much about the OL. I think Nelson or Smith could handle LT if needed. I think we could draft even in the 2nd or 3rd round and several LTs would be fine playing with Nelson next to them as guard. I also think there are several FAs that would be a suitable stop gap. IMO shopping in the draft or in FA will be pretty good this year for T. Even if they take a little step back, they'll stull be above average.

saw one mock draft that had Christensen (OT from BYU) lasting all the way into the 3rd round, and that guy's a monster

think he may already be 24 or so, though  (did a Mormon mission IIRC)

not sure if Smith could play backside tackle or not, but if he could then that would really open up Ballard's choices, both in the draft and in FA, to find a pretty good right tackle

6 hours ago, poilucelt said:

saw one mock draft that had Christensen (OT from BYU) lasting all the way into the 3rd round, and that guy's a monster

think he may already be 24 or so, though  (did a Mormon mission IIRC)

not sure if Smith could play backside tackle or not, but if he could then that would really open up Ballard's choices, both in the draft and in FA, to find a pretty good right tackle

There's just a lot of flexibility IMO. I like several Ts that I think will be available in the 2nd or 3rd. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There's just a lot of flexibility IMO. I like several Ts that I think will be available in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Another thought is the Ravens are said to have a very unhappy Orlando Brown and may be open to trading him.

10 hours ago, dw49 said:

Another thought is the Ravens are said to have a very unhappy Orlando Brown and may be open to trading him.

I wouldn't trust BALT trading Brown.  If they think he is only a RT, then he probably is.  I would feel more comfortable about them trading their LT.  That would indicate that they think Brown is simply better, so they move their current LT to accommodate.  In that scenario, they are not saying that their current LT is bad...they just want to keep the better LT of the two.

Drafting a QB, especially a high draft choice seems to be the way to go these days.  That said Colts are in a special situation.  Meaning..they have a small window to make it to the Superbowl.  Similar for example to Tampa Bay, who was missing a QB.  Now whether or not another QB(like Rivers) is out there is entirely based on luck.

If some quality veteran is out there(similar to the Rams Stafford deal) then that is the obvious way to go, otherwise, just have to draft.

Realistically, I dont see Ballard paying for a big name veteran like Rodgers or Dak, and most teams are going to want a QB in the trade for the top QBs, which we dont have. I'd like to see Fitz as a cheap veteran pickup to get us through 2021, or trade up (if needed) to get Mac Jones. With our cap space and the price we could get Fitz, we could pick up both. If Jones plays well enough to win the starting position, we dont take a huge hit paying Fitz as our backup, and I think he's a better option than Ryan or Wentz

On 1/28/2021 at 2:51 AM, Freenyfan102 said:

Thank God none of your are GM to trade out 1st round pick on a 30 year old QB 

He is easily worth a single first round pick.  Matt could play another 5-10 years while our pick could be a bust or someone like hooker

21st pick for him would have been a great deal for us, but they were always going to get more

25 minutes ago, The Fish said:

How about this. Call up Phil Rivers and say "sorry for moving on, want that job back?". Won't happen, but I'm a few days into this vibe that maybe plan 1A isn't coming.

I dont think the team pushed him out.  Why would they when we dont have many options now?  they were not that aggressive about going for stafford so what is even the plan?  I would take phil in a heart beat now

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

He is easily worth a single first round pick.  Matt could play another 5-10 years while our pick could be a bust or someone like hooker

21st pick for him would have been a great deal for us, but they were always going to get more

people have it in their head that getting a QB who can do the job is just a snap of the fingers and it just happens.

hahahahahahahaha

38 minutes ago, The Fish said:

How about this. Call up Phil Rivers and say "sorry for moving on, want that job back?". Won't happen, but I'm a few days into this vibe that maybe plan 1A isn't coming.

I was thinking about this too.  Somewhere in these threads it was suggested he was pushed out because stafford would be available.  Maybe they can call him and say.  Ummmm remember that time we said you should retire, we were just kidding.  Lol

Archived