Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Interesting.

When I think of QB attributes to lead this current team, those don't even come to mind. I want smart, accurate, and resilient. 

OK.  It's time to get smarter, more resilient and accurate, younger, stronger and faster at the QB spot ... and move on.

5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Interesting.

When I think of QB attributes to lead this current team, those don't even come to mind. I want smart, accurate, and resilient. 

You liked JB though. He's not very accurate, and couldn't read Ds or process fast to get through reads. 

What I want is better than average arm, anticipation, vision/processing, and football IQ (ability to read Ds). A little mobility at min, but doesn't have to be a dual threat.

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I just listended to some of Rodgers post game interview. He kind of sounds like a guy who may shock people and retire or ask for a trade. Just a gut feeling. I dont think he is happy to this day with the head coach and the decision to draft Love.

If I were him, I'd get out. Find a sunny place by the ocean like Brady did, and enjoy his final years with a new team. 

He's from Cali, so SF would be a great place for him. Miami would be nice too.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If I were him, I'd get out. Find a sunny place by the ocean like Brady did, and enjoy his final years with a new team. 

He's from Cali, so SF would be a great place for him. Miami would be nice too.

Yeah I, I feel something is coming. He has not  had a lot of play off success. That being said, the success of GB can b attributed to Rodgers.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yeah I, I feel something is coming. He has not  had a lot of play off success. That being said, the success of GB can b attributed to Rodgers.

He reminds me a bit of Stafford. GB is just a better overall organization/franchise than Detroit. 

The Brady move/experiment might make a lot QBs rethink things.

Here is how I see it. Stafford might take a first round pick and a future second round pick. He has two years left at $43 million. That is a ton to pay. I just don't see doing that. I would take a free agent QB, whoever that is, and sign them to a reasonable contract and keep those picks. I would be happy with going with JB for the same reasons. Sign him to a reasonable contract and make him the starter while we work with our developing 2nd year QB. They both already know the system. I would not offer draft picks for anyone but Watson and he won't want to come to Indy. He has already said he wants the Jets (because of the coach) or Miami. This team isn't yet built up for a Super Bowl team even if they had a franchise QB. Anybody watching Brady today still think we got the best deal with Rivers? I don't and he was better than I thought he would be but Tom Brady is going back to the Super Bowl. Amazing.

1 minute ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

Here is how I see it. Stafford might take a first round pick and a future second round pick. He has two years left at $43 million. That is a ton to pay. I just don't see doing that. I would take a free agent QB, whoever that is, and sign them to a reasonable contract and keep those picks. I would be happy with going with JB for the same reasons. Sign him to a reasonable contract and make him the starter while we work with our developing 2nd year QB. They both already know the system. I would not offer draft picks for anyone but Watson and he won't want to come to Indy. He has already said he wants the Jets (because of the coach) or Miami. This team isn't yet built up for a Super Bowl team even if they had a franchise QB. Anybody watching Brady today still think we got the best deal with Rivers? I don't and he was better than I thought he would be but Tom Brady is going back to the Super Bowl. Amazing.

Any narrative that has JB starting another year is an immediate non-starter for me.

Stafford's salary isn't an issue (at all). It's actually low.

The draft capital isn't a high price at all either given he's a plug and play guy.

We were a few bad coaching decisions away from beating Buffalo, a team in the AFC Championship. We beat one of teams in the NFC Championship. We did that with a QB with an AARP card. Stafford is better. I'd say we're built to compete now, and are just lacking a few pieces (which includes QB).

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Any narrative that has JB starting another year is an immediate non-starter for me.

Stafford's salary isn't an issue (at all). It's actually low.

The draft capital isn't a high price at all either given he's a plug and play guy.

We were a few bad coaching decisions away from beating Buffalo, a team in the AFC Championship. We beat one of teams in the NFC Championship. We did that with a QB with an AARP card. Stafford is better. I'd say we're built to compete now, and are just lacking a few pieces (which includes QB).

You aren't built to win if you don't have a good LT. I don't want to see an all pro lineman who is probably the best player in the NFL to switch positions and then leave a whole to fill right next to him. There are other areas too. This team is not a very good QB (Stafford) away from getting to the SB. I also think $43 million a year is a load to take on and you will take a step back giving up draft picks. I don't think Ballard will make that deal or I am at least hoping that he doesn't. I still think JB is an option and it might be better than bringing someone in to learn an entire new system. As to the coaching decisions, I think we still have that same coach and is another reason we are not a SB contender in my eyes.

Watson would be fantastic but we could never get him from the Texans, being in the same division.

Stafford would be a good fit for the Colts, so long as he undergoes a comprehensive physical...he has taken a lot of injuries in his career and we would need to be sure that his throwing shoulder is in good condition.

Roger's is Definitely one of the Best QB's to ever play the game. In fact, some of his fans could probably make a decent case he's the Best Ever.

I personally don't use SB appearances/Championships as a measuring stick of greatness.  Proof is brady, the cheater. There's nothing really elite about him but he towers over everyone with SB appearances. And on the opposite side of the spectrum,  Dan Marino & Bert Jones. Two All Time Greats, and only one SB appearance between them.

There's a lot of factors that go into a team or player making a SB, like luck, team talent,, coaching, GM, elite teams in your conference, shanagans, league preference on your team etc.....

But it's perplexing if not shameful that Roger's has only 1 Ring and I think only 2 appearances. And it's not like he's played for the Lions, Falcons, Brownies , etc. all these years.  He's a Packer, one of the League's & Media/ networks/advertisers favorite team. 

With Love being drafted, I slso wouldn't be surprised if they both agree to part ways. We can add Roger's to our pipedream of QB's we'd like but wont get. Lol

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Roger's is Definitely one of the Best QB's to ever play the game. In fact, some of his fans could probably make a decent case he's the Best Ever.

I personally don't use SB appearances/Championships as a measuring stick of greatness.  Proof is brady, the cheater. There's nothing really elite about him but he towers over everyone with SB appearances. 

There's a lot of factors that go into a team or player making a SB, like luck, team talent,, coaching, GM, elite teams in your conference, shanagans, league preference on your team etc.....

But it's perplexing if not shameful that Roger's has only 1 Ring and I think only 2 appearances. And it's not like he's played for the Lions, Falcons, Brownies , etc. all these years.  He's a Packer, one of the League's & Media/ networks/advertisers favorite team. 

With Love being drafted, I slso wouldn't be surprised if they both agree to part ways. We can add Roger's to our pipedream of QB's we'd like but wont get. Lol

Id rather have Love 

10 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

You aren't built to win if you don't have a good LT. I don't want to see an all pro lineman who is probably the best player in the NFL to switch positions and then leave a whole to fill right next to him. There are other areas too. This team is not a very good QB (Stafford) away from getting to the SB. I also think $43 million a year is a load to take on and you will take a step back giving up draft picks. I don't think Ballard will make that deal or I am at least hoping that he doesn't. I still think JB is an option and it might be better than bringing someone in to learn an entire new system. As to the coaching decisions, I think we still have that same coach and is another reason we are not a SB contender in my eyes.

Who do you think we will draft with those picks (needed to trade for Stafford) that will make us a better team. Do you really think we can contend with Brissett and those picks? 

Like mentioned above, Stafford is a bit more younger,mobile, and better than Rivers. $40 million is not a huge amount to take on for 2 seasons, especially when comes to a QB for a team that desperately needs one.

28 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

A LT can be had in the draft or FA. 

Stafford is not 43M a year. It's 43M for the last two years on his contract. 20M in 21, 23M in 22. He'd be cheaper than JBs contract the last two years lol.

JB is not close to the answer. It's another .500ish season, and another mediocre draft position year. It would simply be a painful season for fans to watch, a lost year, and not really a step in the right direction. 

30 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I personally don't use SB appearances/Championships as a measuring stick of greatness.  Proof is brady, the cheater. There's nothing really elite about him but he towers over everyone with SB appearances. And on the opposite side of the spectrum,  Dan Marino & Bert Jones. Two All Time Greats, and only one SB appearance between them.

Rodgers contract isn't that bad for the next two years (25.5M/y), but the asking price in terms of draft capital would be high. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Rodgers contract isn't that bad for the next two years (25.5M/y), but the asking price in terms of draft capital would be high. 

I love Rodgers but Packers will want way too much. 

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

As it should be.

Rodgers will be 38 soon. No thanks.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rather have a smart QB that can audible into the right play like a Peyton or Rivers did and an accurate QB which both of them were. I agree.

Easy answer: Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2 year $11 million contract expires on 19 March.

Resilient, high wonderlic score, and good role model for Eason.

Spend the; money on tackles, receivers, edge rushers and CBs.

8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I love Rodgers but Packers will want way too much. 

Rodgers will be 38 soon. No thanks.

His arm strength is still there. I think he'd be a safe 3 year play. 

Probably two firsts, or a firsts and 2-3 seconds. With his age, and only 2 years left on the contract, price won't be astronomical. And it drops considerably next year.

Just now, waterdog said:

Easy answer: Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2 year $11 million contract expires on 19 March.

I wouldn't mind Fitztragic for a year or two. That would depend biggly on how they view Eason though, and just not sure they have high hopes for him. 

I'd much rather roll with RF than JB.

6 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Quick way to be 7-9 or 8-8.

This team needs a quality QB or next year is going to be a wash. I have confidence that if nothing else Ballard totally understands what's on the table right now. 

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A LT can be had in the draft or FA. 

Stafford is not 43M a year. It's 43M for the last two years on his contract. 20M in 21, 23M in 22. He'd be cheaper than JBs contract the last two years lol.

JB is not close to the answer. It's another .500ish season, and another mediocre draft position year. It would simply be a painful season for fans to watch, a lost year, and not really a step in the right direction. 

I am pretty sure it won't be that high as Detroit will have to pay the $10 mil roster bonus if he can't be traded until next season starts.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I wouldn't mind Fitztragic for a year or two. That would depend biggly on how they view Eason though, and just not sure they have high hopes for him. 

I'd much rather roll with RF than JB.

Most recent Fitz injury I can find is a 2-17 broken left tibia. Any of them can be injured(Rodgers has had many) but why worry about Eason at all if Fitzpatrick is able to complete the year?

(Also, last time I read, Rodgers was living in Del Mar, ~30 miles north of San Diego, and home also to Denny Green, Lucille Ball(and Ricky) and bike riding distance from Philip Rivers.)

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Quick way to be 7-9 or 8-8.

This team needs a quality QB or next year is going to be a wash. I have confidence that if nothing else Ballard totally understands what's on the table right now. 

A quality QB behind an unknown LT would concern me.

Was Aaron Rodgers sacked 4 o 5 times today, with Rick Wagner subbing at LT?

1 hour ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

We have most of the pieces in place to compete at a high level.  Granted, we don’t have a starting LT.  We could use some upgrades in the secondary and pass rush.  And there are question marks at WR.

So there’s work to do other than QB.

But, on the whole, we’re at too good a place to rely on a developing QB - particularly when we have everything we need to get our hands on a bona fide starter who has a pretty good chance of being a good enough quarterback to get us further in contention.

39 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I am pretty sure it won't be that high as Detroit will have to pay the $10 mil roster bonus if he can't be traded until next season starts.

I'm sure they'll get it done well before the start of season. They'll have several teams interested I'm sure.

39 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Most recent Fitz injury I can find is a 2-17 broken left tibia. Any of them can be injured(Rodgers has had many) but why worry about Eason at all if Fitzpatrick is able to complete the year?

(Also, last time I read, Rodgers was living in Del Mar, ~30 miles north of San Diego, and home also to Denny Green, Lucille Ball(and Ricky) and bike riding distance from Philip Rivers.)

I don't think they go with a low dollar QB like RF unless they are confident about Eason, and his eventual takeover. If not, then I think they go with a longer term, more robust guy. I could see them drafting another QB though, and pairing him RF.

47 minutes ago, waterdog said:

A quality QB behind an unknown LT would concern me.

Was Aaron Rodgers sacked 4 o 5 times today, with Rick Wagner subbing at LT?

Well hopefully having known's at the other 4 spots would provide at least some stability.

I simply can't imagine letting one offensive line spot dictate a QB decision 

I dont think Fitzmagic gets you any better than 500 either. Hes never proven to take anyone anywhere who has committed to him. I think Darnold has/could have a bit more upside if you can put him on a better team, with better coaches, and in a better environment away from all those cameras in New York.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I dont think Fitzmagic gets you any better than 500 either. Hes never proven to take anyone anywhere who has committed to him. I think Darnold has/could have a bit more upside if you can put him on a better team, with better coaches, and in a better environment away from all those cameras in New York.

Not saying he's great, but he had a winning record this year when starting, and had horrible pass catchers, a very week rushing attack. OL was ranked 28th.... JB had a great OL, a great rushing attack, and better pass catchers.

I think Stafford is going to be a big play for us.  Ballard won’t mortgage the future but I could see a 1st and 2nd for him being fair but it may take two 1st which is expensive. Stafford could be our starter for the next 5-7yrs.  That’s when this team will be ready for a rebuild. It makes a lot of sense.  Rodgers to SF makes a lot of sense too.  

1 hour ago, Narcosys said:

Hold up, who's voting to trade a 1st for Matthew Stafford?!?

He's 32 and already been playing for 11 seasons.  Not worth it. 

Draft choices may be the more critical of the 2 expenses.

For example, The Football Team trading away a whole decade to get RGIII.

Indy's problem(s) is/are that Luck retired, Jacoby apparently wasn't good enough, Castonzo retired, and then Rivers retired, with the apparent approval of many Colts fans.

Now, there may be no magic solution, unless it's FitzMagic.

I've already helpfully suggested Colin Kaepernick and Johnny Football, and everyone thinks I'm joking!

Considering Stafford, without counting, or googling, he's been unavailable more than Ryan, more than Fitz, more than Trubisky.

Cheapest is almost always best, you never get what you pay for and, if it looks too true to be good, it probably is.

I'll suggest starting Eason, ready or not, with an undrafted free agent backup.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not saying he's great, but he had a winning record this year when starting, and had horrible pass catchers, a very week rushing attack. OL was ranked 28th.... JB had a great OL, a great rushing attack, and better pass catchers.

Fitz thats like up and down with him. He will show that then give you something entirely different when you take the bait.

Archived