Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Fitz thats like up and down with him. He will show that then give you something entirely different when you take the bait.

If we go with a guy like Fitz orJB, someone in that level, in my mind, we’re trying to delay the inevitable.   Pulling the trigger in acquiring a top expensive QB. 

This would happen if trading for a proven guy is too expensive and trading up in the draft becomes too difficult and expensive. 

But if we think Eason could be the guy in 22, or we push off finding our guy until that year, then we use a bridge quarterback for a year. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know. Im not really pushing for Darnold but i think he was a better QB under Todd Bowles. The personnel was slightly better in my opinion also. You got that veteran guy in Bowles who could coach him up and discipline him a bit. I wouldnt be surprised if the Colts had a higher view on him than we do. Im sure hes not plan A but i dont think hes plan D for us either.

Just pulling up some of these old clips on Darnold when Bowles was there i can see the talent and the pocket movement was better. So i keep kinda drawing the picture some. Get him under a vet like Reich and and an up and coming guy like Marcus Brady and maybe hes on the right track as gain. I could be wrong but just toying with the idea. Seems like it went downhill for him after Bowles left. The personnel got worse and also Gase as a head coach seems to have problems commanding respect no matter where he is. Wouldnt be the issue in Indy.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we go with a guy like Fitz orJB, someone in that level, in my mind, we’re trying to delay the inevitable.   Pulling the trigger in acquiring a top expensive QB. 

This would happen if trading for a proven guy is too expensive and trading up in the draft becomes too difficult and expensive. 

But if we think Eason could be the guy in 22, or we push off finding our guy until that year, then we use a bridge quarterback for a year. 

Id hate to go through that one year though.

47 minutes ago, krunk said:

Id hate to go through that one year though.

Yup...   it would be hugely unpopular.   I’m patient, so I’d be willing to ride out the storm.

But it would not go down well UNLESS the QB  had a surprisingly good season and we made the playoffs.  

10 hours ago, Shepman said:

I am pretty sure it won't be that high as Detroit will have to pay the $10 mil roster bonus if he can't be traded until next season starts.

I thought that way last week then thought about the trade deadline and new year and I don't think it is possible.

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I dont know. Im not really pushing for Darnold but i think he was a better QB under Todd Bowles. The personnel was slightly better in my opinion also. You got that veteran guy in Bowles who could coach him up and discipline him a bit. I wouldnt be surprised if the Colts had a higher view on him than we do. Im sure hes not plan A but i dont think hes plan D for us either.

Just pulling up some of these old clips on Darnold when Bowles was there i can see the talent and the pocket movement was better. So i keep kinda drawing the picture some. Get him under a vet like Reich and and an up and coming guy like Marcus Brady and maybe hes on the right track as gain. I could be wrong but just toying with the idea. Seems like it went downhill for him after Bowles left. The personnel got worse and also Gase as a head coach seems to have problems commanding respect no matter where he is. Wouldn't be the issue in Indy.

Darnold is a great fall back option if Watson gets traded to Jets and we miss out on Stafford/Rodgers.

At $4.7m Darnold  is an extremely low risk, with a possible major reward.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Darnold is a great fall back option if Watson gets traded to Jets and we miss out on Stafford/Rodgers.

At $4.7m Darnold  is an extremely low risk, with a possible major reward.

Between Darnold and Eason somebody should be able to play football long term with our coaching staff and personnel.

I cant believe how many people want to roll with Eason. Put a completely unknown, unproven 4th round under center with a team thats ready to make a run. It just does make any sense to me. Unless he turns out to be the next mahomes it will take him at least a year to get comfortable at the NFL level.

The only thing we know about him is what the organization says. Do people really think if he sucked they would come out and say that. Their going to say he is good no matter what they actually think of him. Just sounds like we would be wasting a good teams window with an unknown rookie QB. Too many have high hopes we have the next Mahomes. Its highly unlikely.

40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard is going to be on Dan Dakich next Friday. Not this Friday but the week after.

Damn, I have to listen to Dakich.

On ESPN, Orlovsky picked SF as to where Stafford will end up.  I'm guessing he has some knowledge on where Stafford might like to play.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Damn, I have to listen to Dakich.

On ESPN, Orlovsky picked SF as to where Stafford will end up.  I'm guessing he has some knowledge on where Stafford might like to play.

I just heard him say that but I doubt the Lions trade him to a team in the same conference. That could come back to bite them. We have a better Line here as well.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just heard him say that but I doubt the Lions trade him to a team in the same conference. That could come back to bite them. We have a better Line here as well.

I hear what you're saying, but the Lions are starting from scratch.  I doubt they're too worried about competing with SF in the near future.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Rodgers skyrockets to the top of the list.  If he becomes available the Colts should do what it takes.  They would probably want to push him into the AFC.  We would be a perfect trade partner.

I doubt Green Bay cuts Rodgers loose.   I consider him a very low percentage option.   

I'm excited about Stafford.   He'd be a great fit and a good upgrade.   I'd like to see how a change of scenery would affect him.    

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

I doubt Green Bay cuts Rodgers loose.   I consider him a very low percentage option.   

I'm excited about Stafford.   He'd be a great fit and a good upgrade.   I'd like to see how a change of scenery would affect him.    

He could force himself out though. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard is going to be on Dan Dakich next Friday. Not this Friday but the week after.

I think this is a sign that he will have the trade in place by then.  He knows very well he will be asked about Stafford in the interview.  And since it's now public knowledge that he will be traded he will be free to talk about him.  This is a great time to schedule the interview right after the trade is done and everyone is happy and excited and also right before the SB.  To me this is pointing to a great acquisition that is about to happen. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

if Detroit felt the capital they could get from San Fran was substantially better than what Ballard could give, I doubt if they'd hesitate to trade him within the NFC. And SF's picks in this draft are considerably higher than the Colts' picks.

On the other hand, if I'm Stafford, with my age and injury history, I'm definitely thinking (at least) twice about playing behind the 49ers' offensive line--it's built for Shanahan's run game, and its pass protection is considerably less dependable than Indy's.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think this is a sign that he will have the trade in place by then.  He knows very well he will be asked about Stafford in the interview.  And since it's now public knowledge that he will be traded he will be free to talk about him.  This is a great time to schedule the interview right after the trade is done and everyone is happy and excited and also right before the SB.  To me this is pointing to a great acquisition that is about to happen. 

did Ballard and his good friend John Dorsey get together this past weekend? if so, I wonder what they talked about.....

On 1/22/2021 at 9:01 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As I have posted before, I believe the Texans would do it for 3 1st rounders = 2021, 2022, and 2023. They would have several 1st round picks with that and their own. I am not sure Ballard would do that but I believe that is what it would take. That is a fair trade in reality. We would still have picks 2-7 in those 3 seasons + a franchise QB and they would have a lot 1st round picks. With Watson we could still re-sign Nelson and Leonard pretty easily and keep JT and Pittman for the long haul as well. Buck is under contract for 4 more years luckily.

i agree with this. But i don't it would happen

15 hours ago, krunk said:

Fitz thats like up and down with him. He will show that then give you something entirely different when you take the bait.

Like I said, not saying he's great. He's been on some bad teams. I agree he's inconsistent, but I think that's partly a product of playing with bad personnel. This year, he played pretty darn well, on a pretty bad team. I could see him being decent for a few years with a team like Indy. I'd take him all day over JB. At minimum, he'd be a fun watch, and not near as frustrating and conservative.

27 December, hoping for a Raiders win, I said 'just don't put in Fitzpatrick!'...but Flores did, and sack phenom Tua lowered Colts hope by sitting.

Belichick may remember Fitz knocking the Pats into the Wildcard round last year with a last second TD, 

He's played well enough over the past 2 years , and stayed healthy enough, to be given a chance to compete for starter somewhere south of Canada.

1 hour ago, waterdog said:

27 December, hoping for a Raiders win, I said 'just don't put in Fitzpatrick!'...but Flores did, and sack phenom Tua lowered Colts hope by sitting.

Belichick may remember Fitz knocking the Pats into the Wildcard round last year with a last second TD, 

He's played well enough over the past 2 years , and stayed healthy enough, to be given a chance to compete for starter somewhere south of Canada.

He's a very good bridge QB. Miami should have given him the whole year though. Tua wasn't ready. IMO, they rushed him, and might take another QB because they were half * in their development efforts. I didn't like the Tua pick anyway, but still think he's been mishandled. Their OL was too bad to start him, and they have poor pass catchers. Fitz did very well given the situation. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He's a very good bridge QB. Miami should have given him the whole year though. Tua wasn't ready. IMO, they rushed him, and might take another QB because they were half * in their development efforts. I didn't like the Tua pick anyway, but still think he's been mishandled. Their OL was too bad to start him, and they have poor pass catchers. Fitz did very well given the situation. 

At this point, Miami would be making a mistake if they don't make Tua their starter.  I'm not a big fan of his, but they used the #5 pick in the draft on him and he played OK in a poor situation.  Over 64% completions with a good TD to INT ratio.  They have a decent team with a load of good draft picks, so the pressure shouldn't be on Tua.  

10 hours ago, Myles said:

At this point, Miami would be making a mistake if they don't make Tua their starter.  I'm not a big fan of his, but they used the #5 pick in the draft on him and he played OK in a poor situation.  Over 64% completions with a good TD to INT ratio.  They have a decent team with a load of good draft picks, so the pressure shouldn't be on Tua.  

Wouldn't be shocked to see them trade for a QB, or draft one given their draft capital. If they are not 100% sold on Tua, they need to make a move now because it's rare to have the capital they have. Whatever they do, I don't like their future much with Tua behind center. I've simply never had a good feeling about him going that high. 

On 1/25/2021 at 1:36 AM, waterdog said:

Draft choices may be the more critical of the 2 expenses.

For example, The Football Team trading away a whole decade to get RGIII.

Indy's problem(s) is/are that Luck retired, Jacoby apparently wasn't good enough, Castonzo retired, and then Rivers retired, with the apparent approval of many Colts fans.

Now, there may be no magic solution, unless it's FitzMagic.

I've already helpfully suggested Colin Kaepernick and Johnny Football, and everyone thinks I'm joking!

Considering Stafford, without counting, or googling, he's been unavailable more than Ryan, more than Fitz, more than Trubisky.

Cheapest is almost always best, you never get what you pay for and, if it looks too true to be good, it probably is.

I'll suggest starting Eason, ready or not, with an undrafted free agent backup.

Ya, the only issue I can see is that they want to capitalize on our team now before we have to seriously start paying. 

30 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Ya, the only issue I can see is that they want to capitalize on our team now before we have to seriously start paying. 

Yes, and it would be nice for Stafford, who's had a rough 12 years.

I doubt if Belichick would be into a (hypothetical) bidding war, thinking of 1 AFC competitor needing a QB.

Denver also could compete.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:21 PM, richard pallo said:

None of what your wrote is accurate. Ballard goes on Dakich every year after the season.  It is next Friday because he is at the Senior Bowl this week. 

The new league year does not start until mid March and Ballard will 100% not be allowed to talk about a player on another team. Even if reports of a trade are leaked he WILL NOT comment on it. 

His appearance on Dakich means nothing regarding Stafford. 

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Herbert....Burrows and many thought Tua was more pro ready coming out of the draft. I will stick by my guns. I said he would b a bust and he has not shown me anything that would suggest he is a franchise qb

27 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Herbert....Burrows and many thought Tua was more pro ready coming out of the draft. I will stick by my guns. I said he would b a bust and he has not shown me anything that would suggest he is a franchise qb

Still way to early to make a call on any of them anything. I've always liked Burrows and Herbert. Tua was a great college QB, just not sure if he'll translate.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't like Jones all that much either, but I do think he could be successful in a few schemes/teams. There's a lot of other guys I like more than him.

He could  be very successful with the Colts. He will struggle if he lands on squad with a bad OL.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Wouldn't be shocked to see them trade for a QB, or draft one given their draft capital. If they are not 100% sold on Tua, they need to make a move now because it's rare to have the capital they have. Whatever they do, I don't like their future much with Tua behind center. I've simply never had a good feeling about him going that high. 

I could actually see Watson going there, I never believed Tua would be great either. Too injury prone for one and as a rookie he didn't look good. Fitzpatrick looked better IMO. 3 scenario's I could see playing out are Watson gets traded to Miami, Rodgers gets traded to SF, and Stafford gets traded to us. We will see how accurate I am with this, Rodgers may even retire? I don't see him playing another game another game in GB, his body language after that loss was bad.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I could actually see Watson going there, I never believed Tua would be great either. Too injury prone for one and as a rookie he didn't look good. Fitzpatrick looked better IMO. 3 scenario's I could see playing out are Watson gets traded to Miami, Rodgers gets traded to SF, and Stafford gets traded to us. We will see how accurate I am with this, Rodgers may even retire? I don't see him playing another game another game in GB, his body language after that loss was bad.

Not sure how I feel on all the Rodgers stuff, but I did say in another thread I could see him in SF. I think it's way too early to make any definitive calls. I think Rodgers was just on TV today downplaying his post game comments. If I were him though, I'd definitely be looking to pull a Brady and find a sunny destination that wants to go all-in.

I really like Miami for Watson. Not sure I like Watson for Miami though lol... If I were Watson, it would be my preferred landing spot. No way I'd go to NYJ over Miami. Carolina or LVR would also be good spots. I'm sure Gruden would be happy to trade Carr and draft capital to get Watson.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:21 AM, Nesjan3 said:

I cant believe how many people want to roll with Eason. Put a completely unknown, unproven 4th round under center with a team thats ready to make a run. It just does make any sense to me. Unless he turns out to be the next mahomes it will take him at least a year to get comfortable at the NFL level.

The only thing we know about him is what the organization says. Do people really think if he sucked they would come out and say that. Their going to say he is good no matter what they actually think of him. Just sounds like we would be wasting a good teams window with an unknown rookie QB. Too many have high hopes we have the next Mahomes. Its highly unlikely.

Fans have a tendency to imagine (or more accurately, fantasize about) a best-case scenario for a draft pick they’ve never seen play.

But there are more knowledgeable people who have seen him in workouts and practice...and they’re looking for a different solution.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure how I feel on all the Rodgers stuff, but I did say in another thread I could see him in SF. I think it's way too early to make any definitive calls. I think Rodgers was just on TV today downplaying his post game comments. If I were him though, I'd definitely be looking to pull a Brady and find a sunny destination that wants to go all-in.

I really like Miami for Watson. Not sure I like Watson for Miami though lol... If I were Watson, it would be my preferred landing spot. No way I'd go to NYJ over Miami. Carolina or LVR would also be good spots. I'm sure Gruden would be happy to trade Carr and draft capital to get Watson.

Yeah way too early to call but these are my predictions. All 3 could be wrong lmao . Then again they could be right. It is too early though.

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Fans have a tendency to imagine (or more accurately, fantasize about) a best-case scenario for a draft pick they’ve never seen play.

But there are more knowledgeable people who have seen him in workouts and practice...and they’re looking for a different solution.

I think you have several groups of people, with different logic, etc., when it comes to the roll with Eason crowd, or just in general. 

And yes, the fantasy thing though is pretty funny if that's the driver. I'd prefer to with someone like Stafford, but I'm almost Ok with rolling with Eason. Not because I have any fantasy though. It's more or less a desire to simply answer a question. If you roll with Eason, you find out what he is. You either 1) tank and have improved draft capital next year, or 2) find out Eason is the guy. Either of those scenarios is better to me than rolling with Brissett, Wentz, or a few other names. It's also better than giving up a ton of draft capital to get in position to draft a questionable QB.

Here's the odds on Stafford's next destination...

San Francisco 49ers +250

Indianapolis Colts +300

Denver Broncos +350

Washington Football Team +500

Carolina Panthers +750

New Orleans Saints +1500

Houston Texans +2000

Pittsburgh Steelers +3000

New York Jets +3300

Chicago Bears +5000

Archived