Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus interviewing with Houston

Colt.45

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Who in the organization could move up and take over?   What I read about overstreet made me think they would groom him to move up the chain of command but it is way too early now.  

It would wager you're more likely to see an outside hire as Reich hasn't been given the chance to pick 'his' guy yet.

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

Probably. Just wondering if there is anyone within that may have potential 

I feel like it's hard on the outside to get an idea of the internal dynamics when it comes to lower down the coaching hierarchy. You've seen some head coaches come from some pretty 'lowly' positions. 

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

I feel like it's hard on the outside to get an idea of the internal dynamics when it comes to lower down the coaching hierarchy. You've seen some head coaches come from some pretty 'lowly' positions. 

Right.  I grew up in ny and always think of parcels jump from linebacker coach to hc and always hope the colts may have similar talented ppl within. 

He needs to take every opportunity to get a head coaching job.  Colts don’t have a QB and things could go south quickly for us.  Rivers could decline rapidly like a lot QBs do or we have a lull period while a young QB learns.  You think he will get an interview if we are going 6-10 or 7-9 for multiple years?   If anything he would get fired and have to be a position coach again.  I think Ballard will get it figured out but wouldn’t bet my career on it.  

All I know is, our D was pretty dang good this year but we left a lot on the table. flus is a good coach but I feel like he’s a bit overrated. We blitzed the least in the league, Bills just showed what happens when you blitz an opponent to death, especially with a young QB. So regardless of where he goes or stays, I hope we blitz more next year

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

All I know is, our D was pretty dang good this year but we left a lot on the table. flus is a good coach but I feel like he’s a bit overrated. We blitzed the least in the league, Bills just showed what happens when you blitz an opponent to death, especially with a young QB. So regardless of where he goes or stays, I hope we blitz more next year

The Bills got two of their TDs on the Colts last week on blitzes.  The blitz can cut both ways.

11 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

What is the difference between least desirable and most undesirable?  I don’t get it. 

Maybe "least desirable " means they are all good and the Texan job was basically ranked last. So going from there ," most undesirable" means it's not a job a coach should want ?

4 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Maybe "least desirable " means they are all good and the Texan job was basically ranked last. So going from there ," most undesirable" means it's not a job a coach should want ?

4 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I think it  means it's worse today than it was yesterday.

Thanks.  I’ll accept that.  If I was a high school English teacher I would write “awk” in red next to it though.  Lol. 

40 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

What is the difference between least desirable and most undesirable?  I don’t get it. 

Easy.  I read earlier today that Rogers went from the Most Valuable Player in the league to being the Least Un-valuable Player overnight.  The difference is clear.

48 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

That phrasing wasn't the most awkward phrasing I've ever seen, but it wasn't the least awkward either.

Yeah he didn’t word what was trying to say very well,  heck I am not even sure if my translation was right that’s why I said I think lol.

20 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I doubt they move him based on people around the Texans that would know like John McClain who seem to think management in Houston is dead set against it.

Does it really take a beat writer with inside sources to make that declaration?

It would be unthinkable for Houston management or ownership to consider a Watson trade for no other reason than he’s disgruntled.

I guess it’s something one could get confirmed.  But it seems about as much a no-brainer as confirming that nobody in the Houston FO likes to drink battery acid.

9 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Does it really take a beat writer with inside sources to make that declaration?

It would be unthinkable for Houston management or ownership to consider a Watson trade for no other reason than he’s disgruntled.

I guess it’s something one could get confirmed.  But it seems about as much a no-brainer as confirming that nobody in the Houston FO likes to drink battery acid.

Well reports are today that management is looking for a trade partner for Watson so maybe the report was wrong 

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well reports are today that management is looking for a trade partner for Watson so maybe the report was wrong 

Well, I guess his leverage is to not report — which would be awfully expensive for both parties.  If he’s serious enough about doing that, I guess they wouldn’t have any choice.

I think McNair and the Texans have done a lot of foolish things.  I’m really glad they don’t run the Colts.  But, I have to say, I haven’t really gained a whole lot of respect for Watson in all of this either.  Since when do quarterbacks, or any other players, feel entitled to be consulted on the hiring of a GM?

I dont think Flus is going anywhere personally. He doesnt strike me as a head coach but ive been wrong before. My gut says hes about as head coach as Wade Phillips and I think the Colts are fine with that bc that will keep him here.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

I dont think Flus is going anywhere personally. He doesnt strike me as a head coach but ive been wrong before. My gut says hes about as head coach as Wade Phillips and I think the Colts are fine with that bc that will keep him here.

Doesn't strike me as the type of guy who could command a locker room.  Who knows but with all of the interviews he definitely wants to move now.  

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Its starting to appear that the Texans have accepted the fact Watson is gone or they truly dont care what he thinks - which is why hes ready to move on in the first place. I've gone from this isn't going to happen to I think hes gone from Houston.

According to numerous reports Watson specifically requested Bieniemy and Saleh be interviewed after the Texans asked his input. The fact that they have done neither says a lot. It explains why Watson is furious - why ask his opinion if youre going to disregard it? 

It says the Texans dont care what he thinks or they'd have brought them in for an interview, even if they had no intentions of hiring them, just to placate Watson (I know Saleh is gone but at the time).

19 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

The least desireable is one that you still desire but would take reluctantly and as a last resort after all other options have failed. The most undesireable is... you actively don't want anything to do with it. :D I think... :dunno:

On 1/16/2021 at 4:45 PM, AustinnKaine said:

I know Flus doesn't personally care, but I'd be pretty disappointed if he went to HOU. 

I wouldn't really blame him.  I don't think it's a great fit for him (or really any coach).  They primarily ran a 3-4 on D last year and don't seem to have the pieces in place to run a 4-3/cover 2 like Flus has been running.  A lot up in the air about Watson and upper mgmt in the Texans organization, etc.

He did come here from DAL, so the only thing I can think is maybe his family wants to head back to TX.

On 1/16/2021 at 4:39 PM, Bolts2Colts said:

Shoot. I had hoped he’d turned it down initially out of respect to the Colts and not wanting to coach in the division. 

I was kind of thinking the same thing... though, if I recall correctly, he turned the initial interview down before we were eliminated from playoffs.  

I still find it doubtful that Flus will take this job, but who knows.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:08 PM, BProland85 said:

He’ll have better options, even if it’s not this year. 

I believe 'Flus said something like that last year.  Something along the lines of 'you often only get one shot at HC, so it doesn't make sense to go somewhere which isn't the right fit for you."

On 1/16/2021 at 5:23 PM, CR91 said:

Good luck to him then. All I know is, I wouldn't want that to be my first shot as a head coach. You don't get many second opportunities.

Not disagreeing with you here.. but like others have said, it's very rare for a first head coaching job to be a great team.  The vast majority of a time coaching vacancies are being filled is because a team is in bad shape and is in need of a rebuild (occasionally, you'll get a situation where a guy retires at or near the top due to age or health - could see this being the case with Reid in a few years - or fall into a situation where you have a once in a lifetime QB opportunity as was the case with Pagano being able to draft Luck after Manning left, could be the case with Urban Meyer in Jax and if Watson stays, could be the case with whoever takes the HOU job).  

As others have said, you don't get many first opportunities to be a HC in the NFL, either.  There are numerous examples where a coach did better as a HC in a job that wasn't his first (Belichick, Reid, Dungy, Don Shula, Marv Levy, Tom Coughlin,  Mike Shanahan, Pete Carroll, George Allen, Dan Reeves are guys that come to mind off the top of my head), and plenty of coaches who get 2nd chances after their first stint (Jon Gruden, John Fox, Gary Kubiak, Jack del Rio, Marty Schottenheimer, Ken Wisenhunt, Lovie Smith, Jim Caldwell, Jeff Fisher... to name a few).

If nothing else, this is interview experience for 'Flus.  A chance to see how bad the HOU organization really is... if he thinks it's a situation where he is doomed to fail, he doesn't have to accept it (if he's even offered it).  

On 1/16/2021 at 5:57 PM, CR91 said:

So what? BB does it all the time and I don't think he ever means it.

Not really a good comparison.  Watson is saying this about a coach he reportedly requested the Texans to interview for the HC position... a coach who Watson faced numerous times as a division foe... you don't just go requesting your GM/owner to interview a guy from another team as a head coach to your team if you don't believe in the guy or have sincere respect for him.  In BB's case, it's probably more 'avoid locker room material' for other teams by bashing their coaching staff and he obviously isn't going to be requesting anyone to come in and take his spot.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:54 AM, AwesomeAustin said:

He needs to take every opportunity to get a head coaching job.  Colts don’t have a QB and things could go south quickly for us.  Rivers could decline rapidly like a lot QBs do or we have a lull period while a young QB learns.  You think he will get an interview if we are going 6-10 or 7-9 for multiple years?   If anything he would get fired and have to be a position coach again.  I think Ballard will get it figured out but wouldn’t bet my career on it.  

If his defense does what it should, this team should always win more than 6-7 games with the roster that has been built. Defense was a major upgrade over 2019 season, and they won 7 games with Brissett. I trust any qb Ballard brings in to put a winning season together...

Archived