Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus interviewing with Houston

Colt.45

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

With a disgruntled QB, no first round pick, and a dismal defense? I'd pass

Well one he hasn’t taken the job he’s just interviewing.  Most people will tell you to take every interview you can just to get your name out there and to practice interviewing.  It’s also a chance to learn up close how things really are down there and then make a decision on if he wants that job or not rather than relying on “reports”.  If he feels uncomfortable with it he can always withdraw after the interview.  

Also I am sure he feels he can fix those things, all coaches do.  They also know there are only 32 of these jobs and if you are too picky you might never get your chance.  He’s gone through two off-seasons where he was a “hot” candidate and hasn’t gotten a job offer and doesn’t appear to have been that close to getting one.  So he might be looking at things like I might never get this chance again.  

Is it the most ideal job out there?  No.  However if you can smooth things over with Watson there are a lot worse jobs to have.  Also Watson might be unhappy but he’s pretty much stuck.  He has a long term contract so if the Texans don’t want to move him they don’t have too.  He can’t threaten to hold out but unless he’s prepared to go Barry Sanders and retire, which I don’t think he is, that’s a hollow threat because of the way NFL contracts work and years of service on them.  

If they do decide to move him though the Texans are going to get a kings ransom from someone that will fix their draft pick problem.  So either way if you have a GM and coach who know what they are doing it’s not the worst job out there.  

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well one he hasn’t taken the job he’s just interviewing.  Most people will tell you to take every interview you can just to get your name out there and to practice interviewing.  It’s also a chance to learn up close how things really are down there and then make a decision on if he wants that job or not rather than relying on “reports”.  If he feels uncomfortable with it he can always withdraw after the interview.  

Also I am sure he feels he can fix those things, all coaches do.  They also know there are only 32 of these jobs and if you are too picky you might never get your chance.  He’s gone through two off-seasons where he was a “hot” candidate and hasn’t gotten a job offer and doesn’t appear to have been that close to getting one.  So he might be looking at things like I might never get this chance again.  

Is it the most ideal job out there?  No.  However if you can smooth things over with Watson there are a lot worse jobs to have.  Also Watson might be unhappy but he’s pretty much stuck.  He has a long term contract so if the Texans don’t want to move him they don’t have too.  He can’t threaten to hold out but unless he’s prepared to go Barry Sanders and retire, which I don’t think he is, that’s a hollow threat because of the way NFL contracts work and years of service on them.  

If they do decide to move him though the Texans are going to get a kings ransom from someone that will fix their draft pick problem.  So either way if you have a GM and coach who know what they are doing it’s not the worst job out there.  

Kings ransom or not, you're basically starting from scratch with basically nothing to build around. I don't see the attraction even if it is the head job. If he wants the job, he can have it, but I don't see him being there for long. Texans have nothing to build a cover 2 defense.

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

He’ll have better options, even if it’s not this year. 

While this may be true in theory, if the Colts D takes a step back next year, and you never know with injuries and such, he may miss his opportunity to be a head coach.

Just now, CR91 said:

Kings ransom or not, you're basically starting from scratch with basically nothing to build around. I don't see the attraction even if it is the head job. If he wants the job, he can have it, but I don't see him being there for long. Texans have nothing to build a cover 2 defense.

It’s that he wants to be a head coach.  There are only 32 of these jobs.  That’s the appeal.  You can’t wait forever and very hard for ambitious people to pass on an opportunity.  You might not see him being there that long and I fully get why you think that but I can promise you no head coach in the NFL doesn’t think he can fix any problem and turn things around, a lot thrive off that challenge.  

It’s that he wants to be a head coach.  There are only 32 of these jobs.  That’s the appeal.  You can’t wait forever and very hard for ambitious people to pass on an opportunity.  You might not see him being there that long and I fully get why you think that but I can promise you no head coach in the NFL doesn’t think he can fix any problem and turn things around, a lot thrive off that challenge.  

Good luck to him then. All I know is, I wouldn't want that to be my first shot as a head coach. You don't get many second opportunities.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Good luck to him then. All I know is, I wouldn't want that to be my first shot as a head coach. You don't get many second opportunities.

You also don’t get many first opportunities.  Also, just about any team that is looking for a head coach is going to be starting over or they wouldn’t be looking for a head coach in the first place.  I mean it’s not like the Chiefs or Packers are going to fire their head coach after this year.  

The Texans job is either going to have the franchise QB in place already which is the hardest thing to find or a boat load of draft picks from trading him to let you build the team you want.  There are a lot worse jobs to take over.  

Also, again he’s just interviewing.  He hasn’t been hired or even offered the job yet.  Let’s not send him packing yet.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You also don’t get many first opportunities.  Also, just about any team that is looking for a head coach is going to be starting over or they wouldn’t be looking for a head coach in the first place.  I mean it’s not like the Chiefs or Packers are going to fire their head coach after this year.  

The Texans job is either going to have the franchise QB in place already which is the hardest thing to find or a boat load of draft picks from trading him to let you build the team you want.  There are a lot worse jobs to take over.  

Also, again he’s just interviewing.  He hasn’t been hired or even offered the job yet.  Let’s not send him packing yet.  

Like I said, if he wants to job, good luck Flus. I just don't get the appeal.

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Like I said, if he wants to job, good luck Flus. I just don't get the appeal.

Like I said the appeal is that it’s a head coaching job.  That’s really it.  Coaches don’t look at things like we do.  We look at something and goes that’s a mess I don’t want to deal with it.  Coaches look at it like here’s how I am going to fix it.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Like I said the appeal is that it’s a head coaching job.  That’s really it.  Coaches don’t look at things like we do.  We look at something and goes that’s a mess I don’t want to deal with it.  Coaches look at it like here’s how I am going to fix it.  

Tell that to McDaniels

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Watson has a lot of respect for Flus. Maybe they are trying to salvage that.  That entire ownership is a mess. No job is worth that. Especially with no draft picks and cap space.

How do you know that?

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Who took his first chance and had to be talked out of his second chance to the point it’s been reported by some that he’s head coach in waiting in New England.  

Also what he did was the exception to the rule.

Still it happened and as much as coaches don't want to, the first question is always about the QB. Same with Luck and I bet everyone that interviewed for houston have asked about Watson.

Just now, CR91 said:

So what? BB does it all the time and I don't think he ever means it.

It’s all we have to go on.  Anytime Watson has talked about Matt it’s always been with respect and even talked to him after the last game about what the Colts did on defense.  His actions seems to show he does respect him.  

It’s all we have to go on.  Anytime Watson has talked about Matt it’s always been with respect and even talked to him after the last game about what the Colts did on defense.  His actions seems to show he does respect him.  

That could be how he was raised

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Still it happened and as much as coaches don't want to, the first question is always about the QB. Same with Luck and I bet everyone that interviewed for houston have asked about Watson.

There are always exceptions.  That doesn’t make them common place.

You asked what the appeal is.  The appeal is its a head coaching job.  Unlike McDaniels Matt hasn’t been a head coach before and doesn’t have the Colts promising him if he stays he’s their next head coach.  So it’s not really apples to apples your comparing there.

I am sure Fluse will ask about Watson.  I mean one way or another he’s a huge part of their future.  

Watch him take it and hire mcdaniels as his oc.  That might be worth  it for me.  

one other thing he never chose to be with reich.  He expected to be working with mcd.  Who knows maybe he isn’t happy with that but had no choice.   I don’t think this is true but it’s a possibility 

Archived