Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus interviewing with Houston

Colt.45

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I bet Watson is happy, NOT! Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

Watson actually has a lot of respect for Eberflus.  Sought him out on the field after the 2nd game this year and told ‘flus how impressed he was by his ability to change the defensive game plan so drastically since the prior meeting just a few weeks before.

I’m confident that the right replacements will be found, but the entire staff is in jeopardy of being gutted.

Assistant o-line coach (Adams) gone, Sirianni gone, Secondary coach (Gannon) likely gone, and now Eberflus possibly gone.

All that said, lots of conflicting information out there: 

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

When i saw Caserio get the GM i thought they were going to try to match Mcdaniels with Watson but so far guess not.

Even one of their own (Patriots) know what a snake he is, that speaks volumes, IMO. McDaniels is going to be waiting a long time before he is a front runner and not an after thought after he burned that bridge with the Colts with his big faux paus. But then it was LeGarette Blount who pointed out "Patriots assistants under Belichick go elsewhere and try to do it the Patriot way but they don't have the same kind of players. If they adapt and do it their own way like Brian Flores did, they have a greater chance of putting their own stamp as well as adapting to the players and succeeding."

During an off-season where people are screaming about how bad the interview process is being handled by teams over-looking African-Americans....   Houston now pours gasoline on the fire by interviewing a guy who was mostly a career backup who has not coached at all in the NFL.   And they’re interviewing him for Head Coach.   Not QB coach coach.   Not OC.   But head coach. 

A worse look the Texans could not be putting out there.   Feel bad for McGowan.   A huge mistake by the Texans.   Or should I say...   yet another self inflicted mistake by Houston. 

Josh McGowan may be a good head coach someday.  But that day is not today. 

Embarrassing. 

25 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No he is prepared to ruin the Alabama program 

Honestly, I think O’Brien’s boneheaded personnel moves overshadow the fact that he’s an excellent football coach.  I don’t think it’s an accident that both Belichick and Saban — the most successful Pro and College coaches ever — wanted him on their staff.

3 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

If they wanted to hire Eberflus, why wouldn’t they go ahead and pull the trigger?

That they haven’t yet suggests to me that they really want Bieniemy or Frazier.

I don’t think they’ve even interviewed Bienemy yet,  have they?   

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry...   auto-correct went nuts.   I was trying to write Bienemy. 

I thought so but wasn't sure. I had read an article on NFL.com that said they already interviewed him, but I thought I had read something somewhere else that seems to conflict with that article... 

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok...   I just read an ESPN article that says the Texans have indeed interviewed Eric Bienemy.   But I’ve seen nothing about a second interview, or who the front runner is.

The latest names interviewed were former Colts HC JIm Caldwell and former QB Josh McGowan. 

They are still in first round interview mode. I'd expect that to continue assuming they want to interview guys still in the playoffs. Keep in mind the Texans had to get special approval to interview Bieniemy when they did, because they failed to interview him on the off week. They can't interview him again till they are done (unless they seek a waiver from the NFL again).

Purely my opinion, but I think it's simple to me.

If Watson stays, Bieniemy will be the HC. Anyone other than Bieniemy is a signal that Watson is gone. That assumes though that there are teams willing to mortgage their future... 

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Seems like Eberflus won’t get the job.

DC Eberflus not landing a HC gig is the best thing that could have happened to this team after the Bills game. This defense is as good (statistically) as it has ever been. Considering this is his what 3rd year with the defense.

in 2017, Eberflus immediately turned the defense around in just one season to rank No. 10 in scoring defense (21.5 points allowed per game) and No. 11 in total defense (339.4 yards allowed per game) in 2018. Impressively, he did so without major personnel changes, as seven of the team's 11 defensive starters were with the club last season.

I say add more pieces for DC Eberflus. Just as we did this year (2020) with DT Buckner.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Seems like Eberflus won’t get the job.

I don't think this means Flus is out. This is just the next time you can request another interview with these 2 guys while their teams are still playing. Which one will be done after this game.

25 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, the radio silence has been deafening.  If they wanted to hire Eberflus, they already would’ve.

Eric Bieniemy is going to get this job.

IMO, Bieniemy only gets the job if Watson stays. If Watson is gone, they'll go with Frazier or someone else.

Just now, EastStreet said:

IMO, Bieniemy only gets the job if Watson stays. If Watson is gone, they'll go with Frazier or someone else.

Problem is one decision needs made before the other.

They might hire EB hoping it makes Watson change his mind, but Watson might still ask out?

They need to want EB to be the guy either way, which with how their HC process has played out, doesn't seem to be the case?

Just now, w87r said:

They might hire EB hoping it makes Watson change his mind, but Watson might still ask out?

They need to want EB to be the guy either way, which with how their HC process has played out, doesn't seem to be the case?

I think the decisions will be coordinated. I think right now Houston is trying to salvage the relationship. Shouldn't take too long to get a feel for it that's possible. TBH, I'd trade him and start over. They'll have a whole new FO and staff. I'd cleanse the locker room too. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think the decisions will be coordinated. I think right now Houston is trying to salvage the relationship. Shouldn't take too long to get a feel for it that's possible. TBH, I'd trade him and start over. They'll have a whole new FO and staff. I'd cleanse the locker room too. 

I would as well. Replenish draft picks and have QB on rookie contract.

Would probably be the smartest thing that organization has done in a few years.

Just now, w87r said:

Yup. With all the draft capital they'd get, they'd have a ton of options. I'd either go Lance or Wilson in the draft, or grab a FA like Stafford if they don't want to go full on rebuild. 

Anything that's poison though needs to go. They got rid of a bad FO/Staff. Now get rid of all the locker room malcontents and start anew. 

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Well they have won a lot of games over the last few years. So if they r not smart whay does that make the Colts??

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well they have won a lot of games over the last few years. So if they r not smart whay does that make the Colts??

Wins and losses don't dictate being smart or not. Decisions do, and they have made bad decision after bad decision. Firing GM, not replacing him, giving GM spot to BOB, BOB trading Hop....

Way to show your continued support at the Colts though. :thmup:

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Wins and losses don't dictate being smart or not. Decisions do, and they have made bad decision after bad decision. Firing GM, not replacing him, giving GM spot to BOB, BOB trading Hop....

Way to show your continued support at the Colts though. :thmup:

Lol. I agree Houston has made some head scratcher moves under O'Brien. However, his motivation was to win it all. You r liable to make some good and some bad moves.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

If it’s true that Watson is going to ask for a trade regardless who they hire, what’s he waiting for?  Why just the anonymous leaks to the press about what he’s going to do?

It seems pretty apparent to me that he’s machinating to impact the hiring process, if not the hire itself.

At one point, wasn’t Houston not even going to interview Bieniemy?  Now he’s reportedly a finalist?

I could be wrong.  But I think they’re going to hire Bieniemy and Watson will return there next year.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

At one point, wasn’t Houston not even going to interview Bieniemy?  Now he’s reportedly a finalist?

Yeah, that was my point with how the process played out. Doesn't seem like EB was "their" guy regardless of what Watson does.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I think they should have offered the GM position to Watson AND make him minority owner of the team.... then maybe, hopefully he be happy and stays in Houston. :funny:

Archived