Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Castonzo Retiring

John Waylon

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Looks like we'll be looking for the Biggest, Baddest Guard to replace Q as he'll probably slide to LT.

Actually I see us also looking into getting a LT so we may possible move Q back to RG down the road.

I don't think that's the direction they'll ultimately go, but we'll see!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll salute this guy. Really underrated for half of his career, appreciated in the back half, but have you ever seen a left tackle worth 4 points of differential to an offense over the course of a bunch of different QB's?

I do think he'll get serious HOF consideration.  

Little bit expected. Wish him all the best. 

With all these holes to fill during the offseason(QB, LT, CB, Edge) I think we shouldn't expect a better season than this year. 

I would be fine if we take next season as a "development year", be cautious and not go all in to win a SB. 

14 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

In house. They’re going to move Nelson over, IMO. Probably the best option. 

Definitely!  They have already tested this move and talked about it.  It is the easiest fix and we would have the LT spot secured for a decade.  A much more important position than guard.  They are going to have to give Q a big contract regardless might as well pay him as a LT.  This is a no brainer.  Easier to replace a guard.  

Yeah that ankle injury was it. Have to go LT 1st or 2nd round now, but I think that’s been the plan all along. Couple fits in that range

-Liam Eichenberg, Notre Damr

-Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State

-Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State

- Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech

-Jalen Mayfield, Michigan 

The idea of Nelson sliding over to LT seems like a good solution...but I don't think it's a good idea. One of his best attributes is his ability to pull and block downfield. He's also a mauling G who had 6 holding penalties this past season. That number is not going to go down when he's lined up against speed rushers on the outside.

If it's just a one-year situation to buy time at LT...that changes it a bit. But I think the Colts will be able to find other vet options. 

7 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Little bit expected. Wish him all the best. 

With all these holes to fill during the offseason(QB, LT, CB, Edge) I think we shouldn't expect a better season than this year. 

I would be fine if we take next season as a "development year", be cautious and not go all in to win a SB. 

I am thinking the same thing. Save the cap space. Draft a QB in the first round or start Eason. Then draft a tackle in the second. This is a deep tackle class.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think that’s been the plan all along

Agreed. If they weren't preparing for AC to retire after he openly considered it for months last offseason, then they were being irresponsible. I don't think this changes their strategy very much, if at all.

I suppose AC's best friend Andrew's counsel influenced his decision to retire. AL retired because of the 'cycle of pain' and unfortunately this season AC suffered two serious injuries and one minor one. I was hoping to get one more year out of him. He was a stud LT. Wish AC all the best!

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Agreed. If they weren't preparing for AC to retire after he openly considered it for months last offseason, then they were being irresponsible. I don't think this changes their strategy very much, if at all.

I am sure they have a plan...likely via the draft. Though I would prefer to not use their 1st round pick on another OL player if they can help it.

But with COVID reducing the cap...I don't think they will any problem filling the position. Vets like Okung, Beachem and Williams are available. A young LT like Robinson will also be available. But then you will have potential cap casualties as well.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I didn't exactly rank him, but I would put him with Glenn.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I didn't exactly rank him, but I would put him with Glenn.

I'd have to respectfully disagree there, Glenn was a prow bowl talent in an era with some amazing LTs.... I'd put AC more in line with a longer term version of post colts resurrection tony mandarich

26 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Any chances we move Braden to the left?

I don't think so, but they could definitely practice him there to see how he does. I'm of the mindset to leave our OL as is and attempt to just fill the LT vacancy, otherwise you risk hurting yourself at 2 positions.

18 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Veldheer is a GreenBay Packer now. 

I couldn't find the details on the contract, but I'm assuming it's up at the end of the season. He could sign elsewhere after that, although it was mentioned before in this thread that he seems to have no interest in playing the regular season at this point and is ok with being a mercenary LT for a team in the postseason.

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't understand why the Colts kept him on the practice squad and did not protect him.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30694453/source-jared-veldheer-sign-green-bay-packers-indianapolis-colts-wild-card-start

Keeping him wouldn't have mattered to us because he only signed a "1 year" contract with us, so it would expire after the season is over anyhow. It may have been part of the agreement with him signing with us, so that he could go elsewhere if the opportunity presented itself.

Not surprising and I wish AC all the best.  He was such a pro and had a great career.

Glad he announced now in order to give Ballard time to address the big hole we now have at LT.

I doubt Nelson moves over and would be surprised if they decide to move Smith to LT.  Big difference in making Smith a RT from a Guard and making him a LT in the NFL.

Our draft and off season plans are greatly altered now.

1 minute ago, MFT5 said:

it has and will forever be Qb

With this development, I would just kick the can down the road by getting Rivers again or something.

The entire Colts identity right now is good OL.  Taking Castanzo away robs us of that identity unless we find a very good replacement.  

Archived