Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Castonzo Retiring

John Waylon

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Got this fresh from a GOOGLE search.

"Nelson, arguably the best guard in football, hadn't played tackle since he backed up Zack Martin, a former Bishop Chatard star and current Dallas Cowboys lineman, in his early days at Notre Dame. Injuries along the Colts front the past couple of weeks forced Nelson to play a little left tackle on scout team."

I wasn’t asking if he played LT. There is a LT from ND that will be in the draft this year. Everyone thinks he will go in the first couple rounds. Did Nelson play with him at ND?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Why? NO position... not LT, not DE, not WR, not CB ... NONE should prevent you from drafting a QB you love. 

Maybe, but draft position will prevent most teams from drafting the QB they love.  I'm sure almost  everyone loves Lawrence, but only one JAX will draft him.

2 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

IMO Sewell won't be there at 21. Trade back and grab Vera-Tucker, Leatherwood or Cosmi

Yep.  Sewell will be top 5 pick.  He’s not happening for us.  Plenty of talented OTs behind him, tho.

That said, I could see Ballard trading away 22 to get extra picks in the later rounds.  He needs help at CB, DE, WR, maybe LB in addition to OL and QB.  It’ll depend on who’s still there and what he can get for it.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I am sure they have a plan...likely via the draft. Though I would prefer to not use their 1st round pick on another OL player if they can help it.

But with COVID reducing the cap...I don't think they will any problem filling the position. Vets like Okung, Beachem and Williams are available. A young LT like Robinson will also be available. But then you will have potential cap casualties as well.

I felt like we had inadequate depth at tackle going into the season, and wanted us to pursue a veteran backup anyways. Now upgrade that concern dramatically, and we need a starting caliber veteran tackle, and to use some draft resources at the position for the future.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wasn’t asking if he played LT. There is a LT from ND that will be in the draft this year. Everyone thinks he will go in the first couple rounds. Did Nelson play with him at ND?

Ooops.  Comeprehension failure.

But it is interesting in the course of this convo that QDog has never played LT since HS.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Why? NO position... not LT, not DE, not WR, not CB ... NONE should prevent you from drafting a QB you love. 

Exactly. You don't abandon your home remodel because your grass is starting to die. Competing priorities doesn't require you to forget about one while you fix the other. It means you prioritize, and QB is and always will be more important than LT, and in our case it's more urgent as well.

AC retiring does not alter Ballard's plans one bit. He is, as he should, been preparing for this since he took the job. Just like he is preparing for the injury/retirement etc. of every single player on the team. That's what good GM's do. Does it sway his choice if there are two players rated the same and one of them is a stand out T? Quite possible, but players rankings for the next draft by talent on their big board didn't get dry erased this morning. 

Good Luck to AC. See that's how you're supposed to do it. If you have thoughts of retiring do it right after your season ends. don't wait say until the last preseason game and the draft has gone by where trades may have been made to HELP your team and not put them in a bind.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I am sure they have a plan...likely via the draft. Though I would prefer to not use their 1st round pick on another OL player if they can help it.

But with COVID reducing the cap...I don't think they will any problem filling the position. Vets like Okung, Beachem and Williams are available. A young LT like Robinson will also be available. But then you will have potential cap casualties as well.

Plan probably starts with re-signing Veldheerb for the short term, and then drafting a LT you can bring around slowly.

LT is a hard spot to start at as a rookie right off the back.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

I felt like we had inadequate depth at tackle going into the season, and wanted us to pursue a veteran backup anyways. Now upgrade that concern dramatically, and we need a starting caliber veteran tackle, and to use some draft resources at the position for the future.

Man I wish Veldheer wanted to play and wanted to play here next year.  He's still pretty good, and would look good in that role.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Exactly. You don't abandon your home remodel because your grass is starting to die. Competing priorities doesn't require you to forget about one while you fix the other. It means you prioritize, and QB is and always will be more important than LT, and in our case it's more urgent as well.

Well QB isn't as urgent if PR plays next year.  If not, then yes I agree with you.

Well QB isn't as urgent if PR plays next year.  If not, then yes I agree with you.

As it relates to the draft, I believe it is. We don't know anything about Eason, but let's assume he's not the next franchise level QB for the Colts. We still need to find that guy, and IMO, that's a more urgent draft need than LT. 

Just now, Superman said:

As it relates to the draft, I believe it is. We don't know anything about Eason, but let's assume he's not the next franchise level QB for the Colts. We still need to find that guy, and IMO, that's a more urgent draft need than LT. 

Especially because you don’t know what next years draft will look like as far as QB. If there is one in the draft this year that they believe is the guy you have to take them.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I don't know Supe.  I think if Rivers comes back, then we should proabably look for something other than a QB in the draft.  I hate what GB did this year.  They should be going all in.  If you thought you had a sure thing at QB then yeah, but that is almost never the case drafting late.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Especially because you don’t know what next years draft will look like as far as QB. If there is one in the draft this year that they believe is the guy you have to take them.

I agree but it still wouldn't be as urgent.  If PR comes back we have less urgency at QB than we do at LT.  I mean I don't really think that is debatable.  Is it?

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

My ideal approach would be a two-year deal to a vet and then draft one in the 2nd-4th rounds to develop over the next couple of seasons. That way proper depth in place...but they don't have to immediately use a 1st round pick. 

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I'll salute this guy. Really underrated for half of his career, appreciated in the back half, but have you ever seen a left tackle worth 4 points of differential to an offense over the course of a bunch of different QB's?

I do think he'll get serious HOF consideration.  

Love everything AC bought to the Colts. But it's pretty hard to make the HOF when you went to 0 pro bowls in your ten year career.

I agree but it still wouldn't be as urgent.  If PR comes back we have less urgency at QB than we do at LT.  I mean I don't really think that is debatable.  Is it?

More urgency at LT until they addressed it via FA. Seems like it's a similar situation...but QB is a much more important position.

Just now, Nickster said:

I don't know Supe.  I think if Rivers comes back, then we should proabably look for something other than a QB in the draft.  I hate what GB did this year.  They should be going all in.  If you thought you had a sure thing at QB then yeah, but that is almost never the case drafting late.

I didn't mind what GB did, but I can't seriously compare their roster needs with ours. What I do know is that Aaron Rodgers appears to have a lot more time left in the NFL than Rivers does, and he's under contract for a lot longer, so I don't really see it the same way. Even if Rivers comes back in 2021, you have to assume that's his last season. He's looked diminished the last two seasons -- still capable, but nothing like the 2018 version of himself, and at 39-40, it's unlikely that he somehow gets back to that level of play. We need to identify and acquire his replacement, sooner than later.

Also, I don't think of anyone as a sure thing at QB. There are a lot of QBs that I like, but calling them a "sure thing" or a "future HOFer" and stuff like that is kind of a smokescreen, to me. Every drafted player has bust potential, and the rate of first round busts at QB is higher than at any other position. For every busted first rounder, the team that drafted the player talked themselves into how good he was going to be. Not gonna get a "sure thing" at any point, especially at QB, and especially if we stay at #21 this year.

For the Colts, until we have the next QB, the team's potential is severely limited. That's why I think it remains the most important and most urgent need.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

That's your argument? Glenn never had to deal with the revolving door of linemen that AC had to so of course he was never gonna make the pro bowl. As soon as we actually got talent on the line, AC was playing as a pro bowler

Yep. That's my argument.  Glenn had for the most part a bunch of nobodies playing next to him at G, when they left Indy, they sucked.  Glenn paved the way for thousands of rushing yards, prevented tons of hits on a statue of a qb, and had a false start every game.  He excelled up to if not past, the level of several HOF caliber OT in his era.  

AC has been widely considered top half of league, and fringe top 10 status his whole career.   There has always been a guy or two you'd not blink trading him for.  But, he's been solid and consistent as all get out.... Guys great.  No shame in being great but not on the level of TG....

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

That's your argument? Glenn never had to deal with the revolving door of linemen that AC had to so of course he was never gonna make the pro bowl. As soon as we actually got talent on the line, AC was playing as a pro bowler

You also kind of made my argent for me here.  If you aren't considered really good until others lift you up, it's hard to say you're great.... The real greats pull guys up a level, they don't hold down the fort until reinforcements arrive.

Again, love AC.....gonna be hard to fill his spot, and definitely difficult to do so in the immediate future

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You might hate it...but GB had/has a plan...because they know how invaluable QB is. Same as KC did when they drafted Mahomes (even though Smith was a Pro Bowler). 

You almost can't overspend on the position, as long as you get it right. Think about it like this...you could burn three straight 1st round picks in search of a QB...only get to the 3rd one right...and you still wouldn't have overspent. Sure you can make wrong calls along the way...but if you get it right...you didn't overspend. The Colts carried $45M in cap space on the position...and most people didn't even bat an eye...because Rivers played well.

And while people blasted GB for that pick...I bet it is GB that gets the last laugh. Considering how they have handled QB for the past 2.5 decades...I know I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Not only are they currently the second favorite to win the SB (with HFA in the NFC)...they also have gotten an MVP season out of their (supposedly irritated) star QB. And when/if they do part ways with that QB...they will not miss a beat if they are right about Love.

To be candid...giving JB a two-year deal; replacing him with 38 year-old Rivers (but keeping JB as the backup); drafting a flyer like Eason (in the 4th round) and then re-signing a 39-year old Rivers the following year...doesn't really seem like a plan. Seems like they are still shooting from the hip...and have been since late August 2019.

I guess what I am trying to say is that...there is no position that is more urgent than franchise QB for this team. It's how they will reach their ceiling and how they will keep their competitive window and their team intact. Kicking the can down the road one more year is not the answer (unless they are ready to go all in on Eason).

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't mind what GB did, but I can't seriously compare their roster needs with ours. What I do know is that Aaron Rodgers appears to have a lot more time left in the NFL than Rivers does, and he's under contract for a lot longer, so I don't really see it the same way. Even if Rivers comes back in 2021, you have to assume that's his last season. He's looked diminished the last two seasons -- still capable, but nothing like the 2018 version of himself, and at 39-40, it's unlikely that he somehow gets back to that level of play. We need to identify and acquire his replacement, sooner than later.

Also, I don't think of anyone as a sure thing at QB. There are a lot of QBs that I like, but calling them a "sure thing" or a "future HOFer" and stuff like that is kind of a smokescreen, to me. Every drafted player has bust potential, and the rate of first round busts at QB is higher than at any other position. For every busted first rounder, the team that drafted the player talked themselves into how good he was going to be. Not gonna get a "sure thing" at any point, especially at QB, and especially if we stay at #21 this year.

For the Colts, until we have the next QB, the team's potential is severely limited. That's why I think it remains the most important and most urgent need.

I agree in pricipal with almost everything your are saying, but I can tell that if we resign Rivers and then draft a QB in the late 1st round, I personally am going to be very disappointed, and I am sure most of the Colts players would be too. 

I think we are as close to being great as we are likely to be for a half dozen years, unless we hit on a QB and so taking a flyer on a guy who you don't want on the field in 2021 is not a good move.

Now that doesn't mean if they think they get Aaron Rodgers in the late 1st round like GB then you don't do it.

That probably seems oxymoronic, but it makes sense inside my skull.

8 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

You also kind of made my argent for me here.  If you aren't considered really good until others lift you up, it's hard to say you're great.... The real greats pull guys up a level, they don't hold down the fort until reinforcements arrive.

Again, love AC.....gonna be hard to fill his spot, and definitely difficult to do so in the immediate future

I never said he wasn't very good before Nelson. AC was good, but unfortunately the guys around him were bad so even if AC was having a pro bowl season it didn't matter because the consensus was the entire o-line is terrible

7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

You might hate it...but GB had/has a plan...because they know how invaluable QB is. Same as KC did when they drafted Mahomes (even though Smith was a Pro Bowler). 

You almost can't overspend on the position, as long as you get it right. Think about it like this...you could burn three straight 1st round picks in search of a QB...only get to the 3rd one right...and you still wouldn't have overspent. Sure you can make wrong calls along the way...but if you get it right...you didn't overspend. The Colts carried $45M in cap space on the position...and most people didn't even bat an eye...because Rivers played well.

And while people blasted GB for that pick...I bet it is GB that gets the last laugh. Considering how they have handled QB for the past 2.5 decades...I know I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Not only are they currently the second favorite to win the SB (with HFA in the NFC)...they also have gotten an MVP season out of their (supposedly irritated) star QB. And when/if they do part ways with that QB...they will not miss a beat if they are right about Love.

To be candid...giving JB a two-year deal; replacing him with 38 year-old Rivers (but keeping JB as the backup); drafting a flyer like Eason (in the 4th round) and then re-signing a 39-year old Rivers the following year...doesn't really seem like a plan. Seems like they are still shooting from the hip...and have been since late August 2019.

I guess what I am trying to say is that...there is no position that is more urgent than franchise QB for this team. It's how they will reach their ceiling and how they will keep their competitive window and their team intact. Kicking the can down the road one more year is not the answer (unless they are ready to go all in on Eason).

We aren’t in the same situation as GB. Our QB suddenly retired. We had no time to plan.

16 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Lol can you imagine if the Jags decide to skip on Trevor Lawrence because they need a left tackle. 

Well, no but that is a different situation IMO.  Lawrence is universally thought to be the next great QB.  WHoever we would draft in the 20s would be a much greater risk.

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I agree in pricipal with almost everything your are saying, but I can tell that if we resign Rivers and then draft a QB in the late 1st round, I personally am going to be very disappointed, and I am sure most of the Colts players would be too. 

I think we are as close to being great as we are likely to be for a half dozen years, unless we hit on a QB and so taking a flyer on a guy who you don't want on the field in 2021 is not a good move.

Now that doesn't mean if they think they get Aaron Rodgers in the late 1st round like GB then you don't do it.

That probably seems oxymoronic, but it makes sense inside my skull.

You are wrong about the players. They love rivers and have said it would be stupid not to bring him back. Go watch their exit pressers from Sunday. Leonard about cries talking about him playing injured. Moore was wearing the hat Rivers always wears.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I never said he wasn't very good before Nelson. AC was good, but unfortunately the guys around him were bad so even if AC was having a pro bowl season it didn't matter because the consensus was the entire o-line is terrible

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Trent Williams is a FA. With the cap situation we might be able to get him for a year to buy time. 

What’s the word on this guy?  Is he BigQ, Dwight Freeney, Andrew Luck, Deforest Buckner, Antonio Gates, Reggie Wayne level?

Archived