Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Castonzo Retiring

John Waylon

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We aren’t in the same situation as GB. Our QB suddenly retired. We had no time to plan.

Right...GB was being very proactive.

The Colts had no time to plan for the 2019 season...but they could have put a plan in place before last season. Drafting Love to pair with a vet like Rivers would have been a plan...not unsimilar to what GB did (even though their QB position was in even better shape). But IND chose to postpone that move to this offseason. That's fine...but re-signing Rivers and postponing a long-term solution yet again (by not addressing QB in this upcoming draft or more long-term via FA) would seem like there is no real viable plan.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

The Colts had no time to plan for the 2019 season...but they could have put a plan in place before last season. Drafting Love to pair with a vet like Rivers would have been a plan...not unsimilar to what GB did (even though their QB position was in even better shape). But IND chose to postpone that move to this offseason. That's fine...but re-signing Rivers and postponing a long-term solution yet again (by not addressing QB in this upcoming draft or more long-term via FA) would seem like there is no real viable plan.

I'm quite positive Ballard has a plan. 

10 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

You might hate it...but GB had/has a plan...because they know how invaluable QB is. Same as KC did when they drafted Mahomes (even though Smith was a Pro Bowler). 

You almost can't overspend on the position, as long as you get it right. Think about it like this...you could burn three straight 1st round picks in search of a QB...only get to the 3rd one right...and you still wouldn't have overspent. Sure you can make wrong calls along the way...but if you get it right...you didn't overspend. The Colts carried $45M in cap space on the position...and most people didn't even bat an eye...because Rivers played well.

And while people blasted GB for that pick...I bet it is GB that gets the last laugh. Considering how they have handled QB for the past 2.5 decades...I know I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Not only are they currently the second favorite to win the SB (with HFA in the NFC)...they also have gotten an MVP season out of their (supposedly irritated) star QB. And when/if they do part ways with that QB...they will not miss a beat if they are right about Love.

To be candid...giving JB a two-year deal; replacing him with 38 year-old Rivers (but keeping JB as the backup); drafting a flyer like Eason (in the 4th round) and then re-signing a 39-year old Rivers the following year...doesn't really seem like a plan. Seems like they are still shooting from the hip...and have been since late August 2019.

I guess what I am trying to say is that...there is no position that is more urgent than franchise QB for this team. It's how they will reach their ceiling and how they will keep their competitive window and their team intact. Kicking the can down the road one more year is not the answer (unless they are ready to go all in on Eason).

I agree about QB no doubt.  Look GB got lucky with Favre.  Nobody wanted him, including GB.  He signed to back up the Magic Man I think.  Now Rodgers was in retrospect a great move.  

I don't think a similar situation has happened before or sense that I can remember on a contending team like GB.

Trust me man, I am not diminishin the importance of QB, but if you can't get to the top of the draft (and I don't think there is anyway we can; we are too talented to have the 1st round picks we have be high draft picks) then you are really increasing the risk of a bust.  So yeah GB worked with Rodgers.  Maybe it will work with Love.  

But there have been a lot of good orgs draft a lot of good QBs.  Look at the current crop.   Goff and Mayfield are the highest drafted QBs left and are almost certainly the worst of the lot of the teams left.  I think Mahomes is next at 10.  Rodgers was passed up by over 20 teams.  Brady well this was not belchikian Genius, it was luck.  He was passed over by every team at least 3 times. Brees was not a high pick.  

LTs bust at a much lower rate than QBs.  The list of highly drafted QB busts is long and ignoble.

I am not aganist drafting a QB in principal, again I think we have as good a chance as anyone to beat Mahomes next year with Rivers at QB, and hope that we try to strenghthen next years team before look to the future, because unless we hit at QB I think we are in trouble as an org.

6 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

What’s the word on this guy?  Is he BigQ, Dwight Freeney, Andrew Luck, Deforest Buckner, Antonio Gates, Reggie Wayne level?

I would say he's on their level...he's an 8x Pro Bowler and will likely be in the HOF some day. But he plays a different position and it's hard to compare.

Getting him would be a great move...might even be a slight upgrade over AC. But he will also cost every bit as much.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Definitely!  They have already tested this move and talked about it.  It is the easiest fix and we would have the LT spot secured for a decade.  A much more important position than guard.  They are going to have to give Q a big contract regardless might as well pay him as a LT.  This is a no brainer.  Easier to replace a guard.  

Not loving the idea of paying a guard $20+ M a year, so moving him makes a lot of sense.
Aust like he did for AC, whover plays beside Nelson will look better than they are. Then again it would expose Kelly as more average. 

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Not loving the idea of paying a guard $20+ M a year, so moving him makes a lot of sense.
Aust like he did for AC, whover plays beside Nelson will look better than they are. Then again it would expose Kelly as more average. 

Except Kelly isn't average

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm quite positive Ballard has a plan. 

Oh I do too. Because I think he sees it as the most urgent need. And this is why I don't see this FO running it back with Rivers and Eason. That's not really a plan...and doesn't address the position...and that's not Ballard's style (unless they actually think Eason is the guy...but that would be surprising). 

The most urgent need in 2018 was OL to protect their newly-mended franchise QB. Ballard drafts a G at #6 (and follows it up with an OT at #37).

The most urgent need in 2020 was a stud 3T. Ballard not only trades the #13 pick for one...but then then signs him to a contract (that most thought he would never give to a FA).

When has Ballard has the assets and resources to address a need...he does so. And now the most urgent need is a long-term QB to put this team around. And I think Ballard definitely has a move up his sleeve...and it might even be stomach-churning from a cost standpoint. But I am stoked...in a way that I haven't been since right after the 2011 season. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

We should be able to bring Haeg back for at least a backup? I don’t know if he has starting potential. If we could bring Holden and Haeg back I would feel good about the backup spots.

Holden is already signed for next season.

24 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I would say he's on their level...he's an 8x Pro Bowler and will likely be in the HOF some day. But he plays a different position and it's hard to compare.

Getting him would be a great move...might even be a slight upgrade over AC. But he will also cost every bit as much.

Nice... also I just noticed that he has a C on his chest so he must pretty solid.

39 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I agree in pricipal with almost everything your are saying, but I can tell that if we resign Rivers and then draft a QB in the late 1st round, I personally am going to be very disappointed, and I am sure most of the Colts players would be too. 

I think we are as close to being great as we are likely to be for a half dozen years, unless we hit on a QB and so taking a flyer on a guy who you don't want on the field in 2021 is not a good move.

Now that doesn't mean if they think they get Aaron Rodgers in the late 1st round like GB then you don't do it.

That probably seems oxymoronic, but it makes sense inside my skull.

I mean, someone is going to be very disappointed with whatever the Colts do in the offseason. Might as well be you... :)

But I don't agree that we're as close to being great as we are likely to be in the near future. The one thing that can take this team from fringe playoff contender to actual SB contender is great QB play. We are not going to get great QB play from Rivers, and probably not from anyone else on this roster. So you keep looking for a guy who can give you that kind of performance at the position.

To the bolded, it seems like you're looking for an assurance that they can draft a great QB in the first round, and if you get that assurance then it's okay to draft a QB and sign Rivers, because the great QB is now on the roster. What I'm saying is that any team that drafts a QB in the first round is anticipating that he's going to be good for them, potentially great, but they don't/can't know until he plays. What they say about him at the time they draft him doesn't matter, only how he plays. But you can't get that guy if you aren't willing to spend the pick.

To me, we're not the 2020 Packers; we're more like the 2004 Packers (except Rivers is older and less capable than Favre was at the time). We don't know what Rivers wants to do, how much longer he can/will play, and we don't have a franchise-level QB on the roster. Until we do -- or until we think we do -- that's the highest and most urgent priority, IMO. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This probably puts off a QB for a year. I hope Eason develops.

How so? I'm not sure why you think this. The Colts are not going to draft a QB UNLESS one of the top 4 falls which is unlikely. There are too many teams who need QB's and the Colts will not trade up. A QB will be taken out of FA most likely and it won't be Rivers or Stafford or Wentz or Newton.... Just let it play out

52 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You are wrong about the players. They love rivers and have said it would be stupid not to bring him back. Go watch their exit pressers from Sunday. Leonard about cries talking about him playing injured. Moore was wearing the hat Rivers always wears.

Oh no Chloe that is not what I am saying.  I really hope Rivers is resigned.  But if so, I hope they do something other than QB in Round 1 to try to help us win next year.

18 minutes ago, Superman said:

I mean, someone is going to be very disappointed with whatever the Colts do in the offseason. Might as well be you... :)

But I don't agree that we're as close to being great as we are likely to be in the near future. The one thing that can take this team from fringe playoff contender to actual SB contender is great QB play. We are not going to get great QB play from Rivers, and probably not from anyone else on this roster. So you keep looking for a guy who can give you that kind of performance at the position.

To the bolded, it seems like you're looking for an assurance that they can draft a great QB in the first round, and if you get that assurance then it's okay to draft a QB and sign Rivers, because the great QB is now on the roster. What I'm saying is that any team that drafts a QB in the first round is anticipating that he's going to be good for them, potentially great, but they don't/can't know until he plays. What they say about him at the time they draft him doesn't matter, only how he plays. But you can't get that guy if you aren't willing to spend the pick.

To me, we're not the 2020 Packers; we're more like the 2004 Packers (except Rivers is older and less capable than Favre was at the time). We don't know what Rivers wants to do, how much longer he can/will play, and we don't have a franchise-level QB on the roster. Until we do -- or until we think we do -- that's the highest and most urgent priority, IMO. 

If we don't find a franchise QB which is always a gamble, then I think we will be in Cap Hell in a couple of years.

What I am saying about drafting a Qb next year is that if Rivers is on the team, I think that is a more sure scenario for being good and compteting next year than would draft a qB and hope he's good.  I'd rather kick the can down the road one more year because I think we will probably be in  similar draft position next year any way.  I really think we have a good shot with this team now. 

We can compete with anyone.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

If we don't find a franchise QB which is always a gamble, then I think we will be in Cap Hell in a couple of years.

What I am saying about drafting a Qb next year is that if Rivers is on the team, I think that is a more sure scenario for being good and compteting next year than would draft a qB and hope he's good.  I'd rather kick the can down the road one more year because I think we will probably be in  similar draft position next year any way.  I really think we have a good shot with this team now. 

We can compete with anyone.

First thing is to identify the player, then determine if you can get in range to draft him. So the conversation is obviously premature. 

But if you want to use our first this year to get a player who can help us in 2021, with Rivers as QB, then I'd rather use that pick to trade for a veteran difference maker. I'm not drafting anyone in 2021 with the expectation that he's going to help put us over the top. So find a way to do the Buckner deal again, if you're mostly interested in going for it now.

I'm not co-signing that approach. I think we need to keep building for the future, and I think sustained success can only be achieved if we have a QB.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

First thing is to identify the player, then determine if you can get in range to draft him. So the conversation is obviously premature. 

But if you want to use our first this year to get a player who can help us in 2021, with Rivers as QB, then I'd rather use that pick to trade for a veteran difference maker. I'm not drafting anyone in 2021 with the expectation that he's going to help put us over the top. So find a way to do the Buckner deal again, if you're mostly interested in going for it now.

I'm not co-signing that approach. I think we need to keep building for the future, and I think sustained success can only be achieved if we have a QB.

Do you have a gut feeling on Eason?

31 minutes ago, Indeee said:

How so? I'm not sure why you think this. The Colts are not going to draft a QB UNLESS one of the top 4 falls which is unlikely. There are too many teams who need QB's and the Colts will not trade up. A QB will be taken out of FA most likely and it won't be Rivers or Stafford or Wentz or Newton.... Just let it play out

It will certainly be one of those guys.   Rivers more than likely

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I think it’s clear they didn’t like Love enough to draft him. 

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree.  I just don't necessarily agree that this is something we need to do next year IF and only if PR decides to run with the team again next year.

That is unless they think they can draft an Aaron Rodgers in the 20s.  

36 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really. Good tape, good traits, he has some technical work to do, but I have no strong feeling one way or the other without having seen him in any NFL action. 

I agree, but the fact that they kept him on the active roster all season and never risked losing him via practice squad poaching by another team tells me they must see something they like in him – he may very well be the future of the Colts at quarterback, time will tell but what they do in this offseason will tell us a lot. If they acquire some other veteran QB, then maybe not but if they bring back Rivers and elevate Eason to #2, then it’s more than likely.

22 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I agree, but the fact that they kept him on the active roster all season and never risked losing him via practice squad poaching by another team tells me they must see something they like in him – he may very well be the future of the Colts at quarterback, time will tell but what they do in this offseason will tell us a lot. If they acquire some other veteran QB, then maybe not but if they bring back Rivers and elevate Eason to #2, then it’s more than likely.

A lot of that was also because of covid. They probably still would of kept hm on the roster but with covid 3 QB was very important.

32 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Yeah, I mean they drafted him, intending to develop him. It's not surprising that they didn't want him to be plucked by another team. And with the loosened roster restrictions this season, it was a little easier to stash a third QB. 

But I don't think we know much more about him than that they liked him enough to take in the 4th round. We haven't received any new info since then.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I mean they drafted him, intending to develop him. It's not surprising that they didn't want him to be plucked by another team. And with the loosened roster restrictions this season, it was a little easier to stash a third QB. 

But I don't think we know much more about him than that they liked him enough to take in the 4th round. We haven't received any new info since then.

I really hope Ballard talks a little more about what he seen in practice ect Thursday. 

Ballards presser is at 1pm Thursday. Last season they carried it live in their APP. It’s still will be soon so not sure if they will do it live. I hope they do.

1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

It’s hard to say. That said, he wasn’t drafted to be a career backup. Ballard has or had a starting gig in mind for him at some point. We don’t have enough or any infrastructure to if he’s still on that plan or not. But my guess is we will have a general idea within the next 6 weeks. Ballard let him on the active roster for a reason and it wasn’t just to have 3 QBs

Archived