Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucs trying to trade OJ Howard

17 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

That’s strange but I trust Arians opinion of players.  If he doesn’t want him neither do I.  

Arians' offense also doesn't really utilize TEs in the passing game either. As he said in 2015 while the coach of the Cardinals:

“We pay Larry (Fitzgerald) and those guys too much money to throw it to the tight ends. They’re here to block.”

I'd trust Arians on a lot, but athletic, pass-catching TEs? Absolutely not.

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What would we have to give up and would we want him? 

I'd be ok with a later pick (or a player like Wilson), but I'd absolutely take Howard if the price is right. He'd flourish in our offense.

3 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I had us taking kmet with 44 would you take Howard instead?  

Good point. I was looking at Howard’s stats and they are really good even with them not using TE much. He would be really good with Rivers who loves TE and the way this offense runs. Let’s make it happen ballard. Would he need a new contract?

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Good point. I was looking at Howard’s stats and they are really good even with them not using TE much. He would be really good with Rivers who loves TE and the way this offense runs. Let’s make it happen ballard. Would he need a new contract?

He's got 1 year left on his deal for 3.5 million. 5th year option would be around 6 million if picked up. As I've said before, I'd give a 4th for Howard, really like his upside and we need a receiving TE - which he isn't exclusively either.

7 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

He's got 1 year left on his deal for 3.5 million. 5th year option would be around 6 million if picked up. As I've said before, I'd give a 4th for Howard, really like his upside and we need a receiving TE - which he isn't exclusively either.

Wonder if he would be considered the type to give a extension to as part of the trade.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Big question. Why would they be trying to trade him when they have Bady now. He needs a TE.

Tampa almost traded him to New England before the deadline last season.  I know it seems like a good idea for Tampa to keep him, especially with Brady at QB.  But there is some type of rift that exists.  

I'd have no problem giving a 4th.  

26 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

Tampa almost traded him to New England before the deadline last season.  I know it seems like a good idea for Tampa to keep him, especially with Brady at QB.  But there is some type of rift that exists.  

I'd have no problem giving a 4th.  

If they are desperate enough to get rid of him, our 4th rounder is early enough in the round to be offered. 

34 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I would but I wouldn't give up more than a 4th.  Those first three picks are going to be UBER important to this roster.  If another team gives up more than so be it.  MAYBE a 3rd next year perhaps.

What if we were going to use 44 or 75 on a TE anyway. This isn’t a great class and getting a veteran we might get a better player in Howard then we would at 44 or 75.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What if we were going to use 44 or 75 on a TE anyway. This isn’t a great class and getting a veteran we might get a better player in Howard then we would at 44 or 75.

I get that, and I'm not entirely poo-pooing it.  I just wouldn't give up a high pick when I don't think it's warranted.  Is OJ Howard better than what we would get at 34 or 44?  Probably but who knows?  OJ Howard is not an All-Pro talent.  He's good, but not the best.  It was different with Buckner.  He has been an All-Pro despite being a young player.  He was worth it because the likelihood that you're going to get a player of his caliber is very small.  Not the case with Howard, thus I wouldn't give up nearly as much to get him.  I think our first 3 picks in this draft are going to e VITAL to re-stocking this roster, and we've seen the 2nd and 3rd round magic Ballard has done.  This is a pick I would not want to lose for OJ Howard.  But that's just me.

3 hours ago, Shepman said:

I had us taking kmet with 44 would you take Howard instead?  

I think this roster needs 2 more TEs. Not much behind Doyle and MAC. I would make this trade and draft a Colby Parkinson or Dalton Keene late.

I mentioned we should try to get Howard at the end of this past season.  Figured that was a done deal when Brady went there but if he is indeed available, then please go get him.  

Rivers has shown that he loves throwing to the tight end & Howard has the ability to become a pro bowler with Rivers throwing him the ball.  If we’re all in this year then make the trade.  Plus we’d have an extra year of him under contract.

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

At least he wouldn’t be a one year rental. A extension could always come after 2020 after he proved himself.  44 would be a steep price though for someone we haven’t seen in our system.

44, or any draft pick for that matter, is quite literally the "price" for someone (drafted player) that we've never seen in the league, let alone in our offense.  So the value is still relative.... Value of picks is difficult to substantiate, but they are nearly always overvalued by fans.

I have to wonder about him in the locker room or behind the scenes. They know Brady loves throwing to the TE, and he can stretch the field. You have to wonder if something else is going on to want out from a talent like this and such a low contract..

12 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

I have to wonder about him in the locker room or behind the scenes. They know Brady loves throwing to the TE, and he can stretch the field. You have to wonder if something else is going on to want out from a talent like this and such a low contract..

And he hasn't really lit up the league for someone with all the talent people claim he has.

12 hours ago, Hark said:

I think this roster needs 2 more TEs. Not much behind Doyle and MAC. I would make this trade and draft a Colby Parkinson or Dalton Keene late.

I like Dalton Keene as a late round TE. He seems like a good TE prospect that was just in the wrong college system.

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

And he hasn't really lit up the league for someone with all the talent people claim he has.

I mean, he had 34 rec, 565 yds and 5 TDs with starting 8 games in 2018, before getting put on IR, which isn't bad at all. He was pretty comparable to Austin Hooper & Evan Ingram in production on less targets.

If this article is accurate the Bucs sought to trade him for a 2nd rounder before the deadline last season and got no takers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2020/4/15/21222995/could-the-colts-trade-for-reportedly-available-bucs-tight-end-o-j-howard

If there’s any hint that Howard has any “Ebron” type issues... then no thanks.

If the whiny primadonna nonsense is not  part of the problem, then I’m okay with trading the latter of our 6th rounders  for him.... nothing more. 

I would absolutely trade a 3rd rd pick for an immediate young starter in what many here think is a position of need.  People on here always want something for nothing.  I don't think Ballard would insult them by offering a 5th or 6th round pick after they were looking for a 2nd last year. With this weak TE class they should still ask for a 2nd this year.  That said a Hooker for Howard trade seems like a fair swap to me.  Neither has set the world on fire with their respective teams and neither are currently guaranteed to have their 5th year option picked up.  A change of scenery for both players would work out nicely.  A young starter for a young starter.  I would make the trade and we still have our picks and we picked up a big young good TE when we are in a win now mode.

I'd take Howard for a 3rd no doubt. Arians is stupid to give him though with Brady coming in. IMO, unless he's a locker room issue AND they'd take a TE somewhat early, I just don't see it happening. Brady's honeymoon with TB could turn sour if Arians starts peeling off receiving options lol... Mike Evans is a TE-lite type of WR, but I'm sure Brady wants a true TE option, and not sure Brate (the only TE that would remain worth a darn) is enough.

I loved Howard coming out of college and I thought he's a can't miss prospect. Well I might have been wrong. He hasn't been good so far in the NFL. Probably a worthy flyer to take with a 4th-5th rounder but I personally wouldn't give up higher pick than that for him.

Archived