Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Brady Free Agency Thread [merge]

Here's our chance to trade for Carr. Like I said on another thread I would give up our #34 pick and where ever we pick in the 4th round. That is giving up 2 good picks, Gruden may do that. Carr would be a definite upgrade over JB, not sure about any of these college QB's. Carr is just entering his prime as well so we can sign him long term. We can still pick a DT with our #13 and take a WR with our #44.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here's our chance to trade for Carr. Like I said on another thread I would give up our #34 pick and where ever we pick in the 4th round. That is giving up 2 good picks, Gruden may do that. Carr would be a definite upgrade over JB, not sure about any of these college QB's. Carr is just entering his prime as well so we can sign him long term. We can still pick a DT with our #13 and take a WR with our #44.

I hope this happens. 

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Gruden is not gonna take that deal. He’ll want at least a 1

Wins are hard to come by in the NFL. But when you play in the AFC East, Josh Allen with his sporadic accuracy, the Dolphins that are good for 1 good win vs the Patriots every other year, the Jets who cannot get out of their own way are good for 5 wins in most years, IMO. 5 out of the 12 annual wins is 40% of your wins. Plus, when you can rely on a stellar D like they have, you don't have to be play like you played in your prime to win. Plus, you get paired with the best head coach in the NFL day in and day out, who has won during the Montana days against Montana as the Giants DC, won against Jim Kelly as the Giants DC, and has 6 SBs as a head coach.

Why would Brady go to a division with Mahomes and the Chiefs? Not happening. When Peyton chose his free agency destination, he wanted to avoid the NFC because of his brother and wanted to avoid the AFC East because of Brady, and wanted no part of playing the Ravens and Steelers twice at that stage in his career to get beaten up. Even in his 2006 SB "America's Game" video, he mentioned that he'd have liked to play the Raiders but he had to beat the best to get to the SB, referring to the Patriots he had to play in the AFCCG. He chose the AFC West because that gave him the best chance to win the division and get a home playoff game. Chargers were a bit of a nuisance but the Broncos, as a team, had a decent record vs the Chargers, which played in his favor.

THAT is why, Brady stays with the Patriots. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Wins are hard to come by in the NFL. But when you play in the AFC East, Josh Allen with his sporadic accuracy, the Dolphins that are good for 1 good win vs the Patriots every other year, the Jets who cannot get out of their own way are good for 5 wins in most years, IMO. 5 out of the 12 annual wins is 40% of your wins. Plus, when you can rely on a stellar D like they have, you don't have to be play like you played in your prime to win. Plus, you get paired with the best head coach in the NFL day in and day out, who has won during the Montana days against Montana as the Giants DC, won against Jim Kelly as the Giants DC, and has 6 SBs as a head coach.

Why would Brady go to a division with Mahomes and the Chiefs? Not happening. When Peyton chose his free agency destination, he wanted to avoid the NFC because of his brother and wanted to avoid the AFC East because of Brady, and wanted no part of playing the Ravens and Steelers twice at that stage in his career to get beaten up. Even in his 2006 SB "America's Game" video, he mentioned that he'd have liked to play the Raiders but he had to beat the best to get to the SB, referring to the Patriots he had to play in the AFCCG. He chose the AFC West because that gave him the best chance to win the division and get a home playoff game. Chargers were a bit of a nuisance but the Broncos, as a team, had a decent record vs the Chargers, which played in his favor.

THAT is why, Brady stays with the Patriots. 

Brady has taken less from the Patriots for his entire career to help the team.  He could still have taken less and not even look at FA this year.  He wanted an out clause in case he thought the end was near for the Patriots and his best chance at another SB is with some other team.  I think he sees the end has arrived and now he's going to choose to go elsewhere.  The Raiders and Chargers are ideal situations.  I'm thinking Gruden makes him an offer he can't refuse.  We all have our opinions. We shall see. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Brady has taken less from the Patriots for his entire career to help the team.  He could still have taken less and not even look at FA this year.  He wanted an out clause in case he thought the end was near for the Patriots and his best chance at another SB is with some other team.  I think he sees the end has arrived and now he's going to choose to go elsewhere.  The Raiders and Chargers are ideal situations.  I'm thinking Gruden makes him an offer he can't refuse.  We all have our opinions. We shall see. 

One thing both the Raiders and Chargers have going for them, other than the obvious LA/Vegas factor, is they won't be playing division winners Texans and Ravens. They do play the AFC East and you will see a revenge game of Brady vs the Patriots if Brady signs with one of them. :) 

However, till it happens, I will assume Brady will be a Patriot.

On 2/2/2020 at 12:01 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am have never a proponent of taking another man's left overs......its just me!!!

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well  I would make on exception. If one mans left overs were a super model ,  I would in that case. Mahommes is a super model, Carr is just plain and used.

Do you watch the NFL? Carr threw for over 4,000 yards, completed 70% of his passes, and threw for 21 TD's. All of those were better than what our QB's did last season. This guy is a solid NFL starting QB. He may not be Patrick Mahomes, but he is definitely good enough to make the Colts a contender.

51 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Do you watch the NFL? Carr threw for over 4,000 yards, completed 70% of his passes, and threw for 21 TD's. All of those were better than what our QB's did last season. This guy is a solid NFL starting QB. He may not be Patrick Mahomes, but he is definitely good enough to make the Colts a contender.

K......So let me ask u this. With all that u have said, why r thr Raiders  looking at replacing him with  42 year old qb? I am just not a Carr fan. Is he sn upgrade over Brissett?  Most likely, but I want more. 

45 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

K......So let me ask u this. With all that u have said, why r thr Raiders  looking at replacing him with  42 year old qb? I am just not a Carr fan. Is he sn upgrade over Brissett?  Most likely, but I want more. 

You are asking this about the Raiders? This is a franchise that historically makes bad decisions. They are looking to make a splash in their new home town. Which name is flashier Tom Brady or Derek Carr? This may be a commitment to cash more than a commitment to excellence. Tom Brady will put more people in the seats in Vegas than Carr will.

21 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

You are asking this about the Raiders? This is a franchise that historically makes bad decisions. They are looking to make a splash in their new home town. Which name is flashier Tom Brady or Derek Carr? This may be a commitment to cash more than a commitment to excellence. Tom Brady will put more people in the seats in Vegas than Carr will.

K....u like Carr and I am not big on him.  We shall c what happens.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

K....u like Carr and I am not big on him.  We shall c what happens.

I would love to have Andrew Luck at QB. Since that ain't happening, I think that Derek Carr is the best option for getting this team immediately back in the playoffs. I'm not a huge fan of any of the QB's that we could possibly draft and I think that Carr is a better option over any of the free agent QB's. I don't want to sound like I think he a savior or anything like that. i think he is a good solid starting NFL QB.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:38 PM, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I think the Patriots are the team that TB12 will be playing for next season. They are the team that gives him the best shot at winning another Super Bowl. Until I actually see Tom Brady in another uniform I have a hard time believing that he will be anything but a Patriot.

Everything I've seen seems to indicate that the Raiders have the most interest.  But honestly they don't seem to have a team that is a QB away from winning the SB.  

I am with you on this.  I think he sort of kicks the tires, takes some visits but ultimately returns to New England.  I think there might be a small part of him that wants to prove he can do it without Belichick but it's too late in his career for that.  He can't carry a team anymore.  

He's better off going back and letting people in the future argue about who ment more than to go out there and essentially provide ammo for the people who say it was Belichick.  

Archived