Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers moves his family to Florida (merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Many of Winston's turnovers - I'm not sure you could even cut down on them through scheme or coaching.  He might as well have just walked out and handed Leonard the ball a few times.  

Winston is a bad fit.  With our defensive scheme and the way they want to run the ball, you could not survive the turnovers.  We saw how games turned on a dime with Hoyer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I'm not sure, but I would be surprised if the property taxes are higher in Florida vs. California overall.  The sales tax in California starts at 7.5% and can go up to 8.5% depending on where you live/shop.  Therefore, that 13.3% extra Rivers pays in California adds up to a large amount, imo and, as was mentioned by @ColtsBlueFL, he is no longer allowed to deduct state and local taxes over 10k from his federal returns, compounding the effect.

I believe that his prime motivation was to move closer to his family, but the hundreds of thousands of dollars he will save by making the move is probably a nice added plus.

I agree. He said he moved to Florida to be closer to his family and I believe him. He has the amount of money I am sure he has an accountant that takes care of his funds. 

I highly doubt what he pays in taxes no matter where he lives make much of a difference. 

(after all, he has a bunch of dependents :D)

I doubt Rivers moving back to Florida means he will play for a Florida team. But the chances are higher I guess. lol. I could see Dolphins signing him and drafting Tua. That way Rivers will play and teach Tua as he's recovering from his surgery. I still see the Chargers drafting a young QB since they are high enough to draft one. I think they get Herbert.

Why do we keep thinking we can take QBs and coach them up to the next level?  Isn't it pretty obvious that Brissett and Winston are who they are going to be?  Should be pick up Mitchell Trubinsky and coach him up?  As a coach, you can only do so much.  They either have it or they don't.

Actually, I would be more interested in Rivers for a year and drafting a guy like Fromm or Gordon to groom.  But please no Winston or Brissett.

• Like 4

Good grief! Just roll the dice in the draft, FA, or trade and pick up something -- anything -- but don't waste a season trying to recycle Brissett or Winston and think you can magically turn either one of them into a franchise QB. Nobody wants to pay to see that, and there would be lots of empty seats at LOS. I think Ballard is smarter than that. 

15 hours ago, Nickster said:

Arians offense is still turnover prone, but don't think this guy is a good fit.  If its Brissett or Winston.  No brainer Winston.

Pass on Winston and also pass on Rivers. Rivers needs to retire. My favorite thing in the whole world: You're driving down field just to throw a pick 6 to seal the game (sarcasm).  I would rather have JB than Winston at least he can protect the ball. 

The Colts shouldn't go from one end of the spectrum to the other. That rarely if ever, works out. 

I would be open to signing Winston on a team friendly deal and give him the chance to earn the starting spot on the off chance that Reichs scheme is friendly enough to limit Winston's turnover tendencies. The problem is, I dont see a lot of thought going into his passes. Did you watch the Colts game vs the Bucs? Oof... I couldn't take it.  

We're down 4 with 1:30 to go. We're on our own 20 with 1 time out left, Winston or JB, who has the best chance to pull it out for us. Winston may throw it right to the other team, but he can also drive it down the field and quickly. JB will throw it 5 yards, run up the line and throw it 3 yards then take a sack. 50/50 shot we sniff the 50.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:38 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Just because there is no state income tax does not mean it is cheaper to live there.  The property taxes alone more than make up for no state income taxes. 

Heck, just the sales tax in Tampa is 8.5%

State of FL sales tax is 6%, but county taxes can inch that up. State and county taxes in Lee County are about 6.5%. Property taxes are quite low, about 1.05% of assessed value (not market value, which is often more) for 'typical' Florida single family homes. And if it's a primary residence, homestead exemptions of $25,000 to $50,000 are applied(taken off) the assessed value. Vehicle license tags are $50-$125 per year, depending upon vehicle size or GVWR.  The state makes money on locals and especially visitors (tourists) with their spending of disposable income, notably this time of year.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:48 PM, pgt_rob said:

I doubt Rivers moving back to Florida means he will play for a Florida team. But the chances are higher I guess. lol. I could see Dolphins signing him and drafting Tua. That way Rivers will play and teach Tua as he's recovering from his surgery. I still see the Chargers drafting a young QB since they are high enough to draft one. I think they get Herbert.

Why would you pick up and move your family to another state without knowing what team you are going to be playing with?  He would just have to pick up and move again in a few months anyways.  Unless of course he's playing for a FL team or he's retiring.

It's all really odd to me.  Seems like you would wait to move til you find out who you are playing for. 

21 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Why would you pick up and move your family to another state without knowing what team you are going to be playing with?  He would just have to pick up and move again in a few months anyways.  Unless of course he's playing for a FL team or he's retiring.

Is his family lives nearby, maybe he figures he could live out of an apartment in a city for a year or 2 and his wife would have added family support.  

• Like 1

Yes, desperate for a QB that can complete passes beyond five yards and make touchdowns in the red zone so we can get Ws and get into the playoffs. Yes, there are some gems in the draft just pick the best ones, Fromm is one of them. We won't know until we draft him of course. 

• Like 1

One thing I know for sure, we need major competition for JB this year. Andy Dalton, Phillip Rivers, Marcus Mariota, Teddy Bridgewater....WHOEVER, we just need competition. I would rather have Rivers because we could get him for a 1 or 2 year contract allowing us to draft a QB and sit him for a season or 2..

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 12:17 PM, ColtJax said:

We're down 4 with 1:30 to go. We're on our own 20 with 1 time out left, Winston or JB, who has the best chance to pull it out for us. Winston may throw it right to the other team, but he can also drive it down the field and quickly. JB will throw it 5 yards, run up the line and throw it 3 yards then take a sack. 50/50 shot we sniff the 50.

Down 4 with 1:30 to go, Winston literally ends the game with a pick.

Brissett engineered 3 4th quarter drives to tie or go ahead last year.  Not counting the game where he managed to outduel Matt Ryan and another game where he managed to keep us ahead of Deshaun Watson, and in both cases, made key 4th quarter drives to keep a lead.

Just saying -- Brissett isn't a great QB, but he's getting a raw deal from the fans.  Brissett didn't go out there with the express intention of spraining his knee or force literally all of our week 1 receivers to be injured or completely ineffective.  Just saying, there were a lot of points of faiure on this squad this year that were not Brissett.

If you have to have a mediocre QB, at least go with one that takes care of the football.  As long as you don't turn over the football you're going to be within range of winning most of the games you play.  At that point it's just down to your defense executing

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 8:15 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Pretty much, except players for a team in a state income tax collection, must also pay their home state income tax earned while playing in states that do not have state income tax.  Players for no income tax states pay no taxes on 1/2 their (home) games, nor endorsements. They then pay non-resident income tax to states their team plays road games.

I have heard they were typically less, but not for every state (from what I was told).

There is supposedly a new law that will affect taxed players too, because individuals can no longer deduct more than $10,000 for state and local taxes (SALT) or declare miscellaneous itemized deductions for work-related expenses and investment fees on Federal returns. And these tax law changes, especially the latter, will cost pro athletes more than most people.

Can you imagine California? 37% Federal and 13% state? that's 1/2 your salary right there!!

They dont pay 37 percent in taxes.Thats some serious misinformation.

23 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Brissett engineered 3 4th quarter drives to tie or go ahead last year.  Not counting the game where he managed to outduel Matt Ryan and another game where he managed to keep us ahead of Deshaun Watson, and in both cases, made key 4th quarter drives to keep a lead.

Just saying -- Brissett isn't a great QB, but he's getting a raw deal from the fans.  Brissett didn't go out there with the express intention of spraining his knee or force literally all of our week 1 receivers to be injured or completely ineffective.  Just saying, there were a lot of points of faiure on this squad this year that were not Brissett.

If you have to have a mediocre QB, at least go with one that takes care of the football.  As long as you don't turn over the football you're going to be within range of winning most of the games you play.  At that point it's just down to your defense executing

Careful, you're playing with fire. 

The inescapable Brissett-hating air we breath has not yet grown powerful enough to dissuade a reasonable defense yet, like it did with Grigson, but its getting close enough to where going down your path of providing a reasonable defense might get you attacked just for doing it.

23 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Too late, we could start 5-0 next season with Brissett but if he isn't throwing for 300 yards a game the same 10-15 people that pounce on him daily will still do so. They will give all the credit to the Line and Reich and say we are winning despite JB lmao .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Too late, we could start 5-0 next season with Brissett but if he isn't throwing for 300 yards a game the same 10-15 people that pounce on him daily will still do so. They will give all the credit to the Line and Reich and say we are winning despite JB lmao .

Those people were doing that anyway and were going to continue to do so.  You are going to grow old waiting for people who have already made up their mind to change.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Careful, you're playing with fire. 

The inescapable Brissett-hating air we breath has not yet grown powerful enough to dissuade a reasonable defense yet, like it did with Grigson, but its getting close enough to where going down your path of providing a reasonable defense might get you attacked just for doing it.

I've been down that road before, i'm not really afraid of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Brissett plays like he did the 2nd half of last year again, we may not get 5 wins all season. That's the issue right now, teams have adjusted to him, and he never adjusted back. If he can play like the first 7 games where he threw a 14/3 td/int ratio, then fine. He hasn't even shown he can be competant since then, let alone throw 300 yards a game. Until it happens, there's no reason to trust or want him at QB. His production could easily be replaced in FA or the draft and wouldn't be missed.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If Brissett plays like he did the 2nd half of last year again, we may not get 5 wins all season. That's the issue right now, teams have adjusted to him, and he never adjusted back. If he can play like the first 7 games where he threw a 14/3 td/int ratio, then fine. He hasn't even shown he can be competant since then, let alone throw 300 yards a game. Until it happens, there's no reason to trust or want him at QB. His production could easily be replaced in FA or the draft and wouldn't be missed.

I have already made a strong case for going after Derek Carr and what we should trade for him, etc.. When it comes to JB, a lot of other factors came into play to why he played poorly in those last 4 or 5 games of the season. It wasn't just his fault. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anunnakidna said:

They dont pay 37 percent in taxes.Thats some serious misinformation.

Over a certain level of income they do.

Here's a pic taken from a 2017 article featuring at the top, the subject of the OP, Phillip Rivers-

xLBuW42.jpg

But I thought was just 39.6% then, not 41.95. But the recent tax reform has moved the highest top rate down to 37% on Federal. It's still 13.3% state tax in California though. And they can't be deducted on federal returns.

RV84Hfz.jpg

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the "JB hating" thing is a bit too much.   Just because we would like to improve at the QB position isn't hating.   JB seems to be a great guy.   Just because some don't think he is a QB capable of leading the team to be contenders is NOT hating.   

I think JB is limited.   He hasn't improved his flaws from college.   If the defense is great and the running game is great, he can possibly be enough.   Is that what we want?   A QB that can be OK if we can mask his flaws.   I'm always hoping for improvement.   Glowinski can be capable, but I wouldn't mind seeing improvement at the RG position.   Doesn't mean I hate Glowinski.    Unfortunately at this time, it is not a high priority.