Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers moves his family to Florida (merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why would they cut ties with Rivers and being in a guy five years older.

brady is playing better despite being older

they might take a rookie and sit them while brady plays now.  chargers will have the some problem we do if they draft a project like love, hes not ready yet 

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This probably makes it clear now that the chargers will draft a QB. Will it be Herbert. Will they try and move up a couple spots for TUA. Or maybe they fall in love with Love.

Whilst Rivers leaving increases the chances of drafting a QB more likely, it may not necessarily mean they draft one early.

They very well could draft someone later in the draft (like Gordon or Hurts etc) and have them sit behind a vet (as the article below says someone like Cam Newton or Marcus Mariota) and draft O-line/Corner early

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/los-angeles-chargers-targeting-cam-newton-philip-rivers/

"the word is that the Chargers would prefer someone with experience like Newton or Marcus Mariota, rather than drafting and developing a rookie quarterback. In fact, Pauline noted in his recent mock draft that the Chargers would likely prefer a highly rated offensive tackle or cornerback if one fell to them rather than a quarterback. Acquiring Newton could free up some options for them to do just that."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

Whilst Rivers leaving increases the chances of drafting a QB more likely, it may not necessarily mean they draft one early.

They very well could draft someone later in the draft (like Gordon or Hurts etc) and have them sit behind a vet (as the article below says someone like Cam Newton or Marcus Mariota) and draft O-line/Corner early

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/los-angeles-chargers-targeting-cam-newton-philip-rivers/

"the word is that the Chargers would prefer someone with experience like Newton or Marcus Mariota, rather than drafting and developing a rookie quarterback. In fact, Pauline noted in his recent mock draft that the Chargers would likely prefer a highly rated offensive tackle or cornerback if one fell to them rather than a quarterback. Acquiring Newton could free up some options for them to do just that."

Makes sense for the Chargers to grab a short term vet such as Cam Newton.  They badly underachieved this year, and Rivers was a shadow of himself by the end of the season. But they need a QB of the future, and I'm betting they grab one early in the first. With Burrows and Tua gone by their pick, Herbert seems the odds on favorite to be their guy. 

13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

brady is playing better despite being older

they might take a rookie and sit them while brady plays now.  chargers will have the some problem we do if they draft a project like love, hes not ready yet 

Actually, statically over the last half of the season, Brady and Rivers have similar numbers 

5 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Makes sense for the Chargers to grab a short term vet such as Cam Newton.  They badly underachieved this year, and Rivers was a shadow of himself by the end of the season. But they need a QB of the future, and I'm betting they grab one early in the first. With Burrows and Tua gone by their pick, Herbert seems the odds on favorite to be their guy. 

Yeah I agree, their roster to me isn't too bad, they just need to get their O-line in check. Looking at the types of QB their GM has drafted though, he's taken Brad Sorenson and Easton Stick in the draft and then traded for Tyrod. 

To me (I very well could be wrong) they may lean towards a type like an Anthony Gordon or Jalen Hurts if Burrow and Tua are gone as oppose to a Justin Herbert, Jordan Love or even Jacob Eason

9 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

It has less to do with him possibly playing in Florida, which I doubt he does, and more to do with no state income tax. He can basically play wherever and not be hit with the tax burden.

At this stage in his career and with all of the money he has made I highly doubt he's worried about paying state income tax for his last few years.  This is about him being closer to his family. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

At this stage in his career and with all of the money he has made I highly doubt he's worried about paying state income tax for his last few years.  This is about him being closer to his family. 

You're thinking way too simple... It does matter with how much he's made and how he has it invested, especially when he retires. Being in a state with no state income tax, and how he redistributes his money,  both are mutually exclusive and majorly beneficial.

I'd be pretty much shocked if he plays in Florida. He doesn't really fit Arians system at his age. Jax can't afford him and I believe Miami rides with Fitzmagic and probably someone from the draft this year, probably Tua.

Carolina would be a good fit if they dump Cam.

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

It has less to do with him possibly playing in Florida, which I doubt he does, and more to do with no state income tax. He can basically play wherever and not be hit with the tax burden.

The tax burden means zero if you're not playing for a Florida team.    You have to pay taxes to the state in which you play the games.   

35 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

You're thinking way too simple... It does matter with how much he's made and how he has it invested, especially when he retires. Being in a state with no state income tax, and how he redistributes his money,  both are mutually exclusive and majorly beneficial.

I'd be pretty much shocked if he plays in Florida. He doesn't really fit Arians system at his age. Jax can't afford him and I believe Miami rides with Fitzmagic and probably someone from the draft this year, probably Tua.

Carolina would be a good fit if they dump Cam.

Maybe being in a state with no income tax might be beneficial after he retires when he can redo all of his estate planning.  As long as he's playing it's inconsequential.  You pay taxes in the state you earn the money.  If he plays for a Florida team for his last years in the league it would result in savings but that is not the reason he is moving there. He is moving there to be closer to his family.   

45 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The tax burden means zero if you're not playing for a Florida team.    You have to pay taxes to the state in which you play the games.   

The non-residential tax would be it. It's significantly less and also can be credited, a portion, from the resident state. A heckuva lot better than California.  

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Backing up Jamies Winston.

Yikes lol.. but given the weird % that happens in the NFL I cant say I would be surprised

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe being in a state with no income tax might be beneficial after he retires when he can redo all of his estate planning.  As long as he's playing it's inconsequential.  You pay taxes in the state you earn the money.  If he plays for a Florida team for his last years in the league it would result in savings but that is not the reason he is moving there. He is moving there to be closer to his family.   

You are correct.. I just read the article on ESPN

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Pretty much, except players for a team in a state income tax collection, must also pay their home state income tax earned while playing in states that do not have state income tax.  Players for no income tax states pay no taxes on 1/2 their (home) games, nor endorsements. They then pay non-resident income tax to states their team plays road games.

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

The non-residential tax would be it. It's significantly less and also and also can be credited from the resident state. A heckuva lot better than California. 

I have heard they were typically less, but not for every state (from what I was told).

There is supposedly a new law that will affect taxed players too, because individuals can no longer deduct more than $10,000 for state and local taxes (SALT) or declare miscellaneous itemized deductions for work-related expenses and investment fees on Federal returns. And these tax law changes, especially the latter, will cost pro athletes more than most people.

Can you imagine California? 37% Federal and 13% state? that's 1/2 your salary right there!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Just because there is no state income tax does not mean it is cheaper to live there.  The property taxes alone more than make up for no state income taxes. 

Heck, just the sales tax in Tampa is 8.5%

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just because there is no state income tax does not mean it is cheaper to live there.  The property taxes alone more than make up for no state income taxes. 

Heck, just the sales tax in Tampa is 8.5%

I'm not sure, but I would be surprised if the property taxes are higher in Florida vs. California overall.  The sales tax in California starts at 7.5% and can go up to 8.5% depending on where you live/shop.  Therefore, that 13.3% extra Rivers pays in California adds up to a large amount, imo and, as was mentioned by @ColtsBlueFL, he is no longer allowed to deduct state and local taxes over 10k from his federal returns, compounding the effect.

I believe that his prime motivation was to move closer to his family, but the hundreds of thousands of dollars he will save by making the move is probably a nice added plus.

2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

And wants to keep playing football. Rumor is that Tampa may be interested and that Winston may be up for grabs. I know he can be a turn over machine, but I would love to see the shoe on his helmet. 

No interest in Winston.  Winston is even more flawed than Brissett, who at least minimizes turnovers

Save your coaching points for getting Brissett to be a bit less risk averse.  I'm guessing it's going to be easier to get a cautious QB like Brissett to open up more, than it is for a guy like Winston to stop throwing 50 50 balls

• Like 3