Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Jacoby Poll

Four2itus

New Jacoby Brissett poll  

156 members have voted

1. 1. There are a lot more people in agreement with regards to the Colts QB than it seems. I don't think a poll has been worded correctly. Please pick the choice that best fits....

• Jacoby is the franchise QB the Colts are looking for
    • Jacoby could develop into the franchise QB the Colts are looking for if the team could just get healthy
    • Jacoby is not the franchise QB the Colts are looking for, but will remain the starter until the right QB opportunity comes along
    • Jacoby is not the franchise QB the Colts are looking for, and the Colts will either draft or find a FA QB before the start of next season
    • Jacoby is not the franchise QB the Colts are looking for, and Chad Kelly will be the starter next season
    • Jacoby is not the franchise QB the Colts are looking for, and the Colts should give Chad Kelly the shot for the rest of this season
    • Jacoby is not the franchise QB the Colts are looking for, and the Colts should trade pick(s) for a QB right now

13 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I tried to word this in a way to give all fans a correct answer for themselves. 

Think you are missing some or should be 2 questions. 

My choice would be JB not the guy, let CK finish season, and draft a QB early, if CK shows anything let him and JB (and rookie if good enough) fight it out in camp to see who starts season and who is #2. 

• Like 5

I believe JB is NOT the answer at QB but Ballard and Reich are going to continue to start him until they find a different answer.

My guess is JB starts next year even if another QB is drafted. I really want JB to play well. I like the guy but he sure is not getting it done this year. I don’t even care about the deep throws as much as his extremely poor accuracy on half of this throws.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Another option being, the Colts should cut JB and save 9M towards the CAP. 

Cut him?  Go to the Colts Reddit, they think the guy is great.  If only we can find a GM with that view we could get a haul.  After all, he is a franchise QB right...and they don't grow in trees...and our receivers suck or are hurt....and he has a leadership rating that I am told is really amazing!!!

Someone will want the dude, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Another option being, the Colts should cut JB and save 9M towards the CAP. 

Well, I thought realistic options. My bad. I could also have included Hoyer being subbed in as the starter...because someone might consider it an option, right?

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Your last option isn’t able to happen. Trade deadline is passed 

True

I think the most likely outcome is that we draft a QB in the first 2 rounds and that JB starts next year.

Although, I could see a scenario where Ballard’s favorite top tier QB options are drafted before our pick and he takes a project guy in the mid rounds. It’ll be interesting though. For some reason I don’t see Ballard trading up, but we’ll see.

• Like 2

Didn't have the perfect choice for me.

I think

1) JB is not our future

2) We should get some type of look at Kelly in the last two games, but not necessarily bench JB

3) If Kelly doesn't wow, cut him, if he wows, play him more and cut Hoyer.

4). Draft a QB regardless, unless by some crazy chance Kelly looks like Mahomes. 

• Like 1

I have this bad feeling that Ballard won't draft a QB until the 3rd or 4th round.

I'm not saying there's no value there, but me being a Couch GM-* on the internet-that doesn't get paid to make football decision, I'd rather see them draft a QB higher than that. 

I also feel like they will roll with Brisket next year. Even if they get some good WR's and get TY back, I feel that's a mistake. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Before I voted, I did not look to see how the voting was going. I voted #3 and then looked to see. This forum amazes me sometimes in a good way, most of the votes were #3 :thmup:

I was torn between #2 and #3..... I voted #2.

What I DON'T want to see happen is a superior prospect at DT/Edge/OT/WR be passed over in the 1st round for a QB of lesser talent.

Barring Kelly coming in and outright beating Jacoby for the job.... he's likely to be starting next year.

IF Kelly.... or some drafted rookie like Jordan Love does beat him out fair and square then I'll wholeheartedly respect Ballard and Reich's decision..... and we'll have a solid backup in Brissett.

We've been spoiled at QB....and for good reason.... Manning and Luck were hits. But it still only netted us 1 Super Bowl over a 20 year span.

So we just need to be careful of the sugar-high and the expectations that come with a 1st round QB selection....that's all.

And I'd like us to make sure that a murderers row defense and plenty of weapons are in place for whoever the long-term QB is. :hat:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I have this bad feeling that Ballard won't draft a QB until the 3rd or 4th round.

I'm not saying there's no value there, but me being a Couch GM-* on the internet-that doesn't get paid to make football decision, I'd rather see them draft a QB higher than that. 

I also feel like they will roll with Brisket next year. Even if they get some good WR's and get TY back, I feel that's a mistake. 

Anthony Gordon... QB Washington State.  Not the best overall QB in college this year but is, probably, the best pure passer in college football this year.  A bit on the skinny side but good height, excellent arm, can make all the NFL throws, superb mechanics and quick release.  Not a running QB but great movement in the pocket to extend plays, super smart, goes through his progressions well.

Numbers are inflated because of the style of offense Washington State runs but he has all the tools to do really well in the NFL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

My choice - "The Indianapolis Colts are screwed for the next 3-5 years, since Brissett is such a leader in the locker room."

Leadership is great, but it can also be a go-to for some as an excuse not to improve, or not to make the hard decision. 

All kinds of QBs exist in the NFL, and there are some very good ones that are not "leaders". 

And.. Honestly I think leadership is overrated in the NFL... If guys can't motivate themselves or be motivated by money, and can't be professional, they don't belong in the league. Hire a baby sitter if you need to for those that need it... 

And does leadership from a QB really matter to the D.... if it does, it's not that much. Hell, the D has regressed, so what's that say...

I doubt the big uglies on the OL need leadership from a QB.... does Mack or TY need leadership? If anything, maybe the WRs need an occasion speech when a game winning drive is needed. 

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Leadership is great, but it can also be a go-to for some as an excuse not to improve, or not to make the hard decision. 

All kinds of QBs exist in the NFL, and there are some very good ones that are not "leaders". 

And.. Honestly I think leadership is overrated in the NFL... If guys can't motivate themselves or be motivated by money, and can't be professional, they don't belong in the league. Hire a baby sitter if you need to for those that need it... 

And does leadership from a QB really matter to the D.... if it does, it's not that much. Hell, the D has regressed, so what's that say...

I doubt the big uglies on the OL need leadership from a QB.... does Mack or TY need leadership? If anything, maybe the WRs need an occasion speech when a game winning drive is needed. 

Leadership is more than motivation.

JB, from all accounts is a great leader.  And, I disagree with your premise, that leadership from the QB really doesn't matter, I think a great QB needs to be a great leader as well.  But just because a QB is a great leader does not mean they are a great or even good QB.  Which I think is the case with JB... great guy, great leader, above average QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Leadership is more than motivation.

JB, from all accounts is a great leader.  And, I disagree with your premise, that leadership from the QB really doesn't matter, I think a great QB needs to be a great leader as well.  But just because a QB is a great leader does not mean they are a great or even good QB.  Which I think is the case with JB... great guy, great leader, above average QB.

You can lead by performance without being a vocal leader. 

In my personal experience, there's all kinds of types of leadership. I was on HS football team that won 2 state titles. We had great leadership, and it wasn't from the QB.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You can lead by performance without being a vocal leader. 

Agreed, but who said anything about leaders had to be vocal.  All I said is being a leader is more about motivation.

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

In my personal experience, there's all kinds of types of leadership. I was on HS football team that won 2 state titles. We had great leadership, and it wasn't from the QB.

Good for you.  In case you didn't know HS football and the team dynamic is vastly different than professional football and the team dynamic.

If a "Franchise QB" is someone most everyone agrees has top 10 NFL talent then i don't think those terms are met in your first 2 options.
 Jacoby does have a chance at being the Franchises very good QB. Perhaps someday, on an excellent team, good enough to play in a SB.
 But i wouldn't think Irsay, Ballard. and Reich can be very comfortable right now counting on that. They will surely take measures to hedge the position.  
 Kelly is on the 53 for a reason, so getting him some snaps this season makes a lot of sense. He is an investment and possibly the next man up one day. 

37 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Agreed, but who said anything about leaders had to be vocal.  All I said is being a leader is more about motivation.

Leading by performance is more about example.

What we've heard about JB is more "vocal", which is more motivational. 

37 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Good for you.  In case you didn't know HS football and the team dynamic is vastly different than professional football and the team dynamic.

It's not that different. Team sports, corporate, etc.. I've been to all kinds of leadership conferences and workshops in my many years and have sent many managers and directors to them. I've listened to guys like Montana, Holtz, and a dozen or more other athletes and coaches along with all the others types. Sure there's some nuances, but most of it the same stuff. It's not mysterious stuff.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Leading by performance is more about example.

What we've heard about JB is more "vocal", which is more motivational. 

It's not that different. Team sports, corporate, etc.. I've been to all kinds of leadership conferences and workshops in my many years and have sent many managers and directors to them. I've listened to guys like Montana, Holtz, and a dozen or more other athletes and coaches along with all the others types. Sure there's some nuances, but most of it the same stuff. It's not mysterious stuff.

I'm sorry, but your comment vocal leader meaning motivational belies the rest of your comments about how much leadership stuff you've listened to or participated with.

As far as the rest, never claimed leadership was mysterious stuff, it's jut leadership is more than motivation, which was your original comment that QBs don't need to be leaders because all the grown men should be able to motivate themselves.

One option I don’t see happening but it makes sense in our predicament would be trading for Foles. He is basically in an osweiler situation right now and with our cap space we can get him (and back with Reich) and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a late rounder, cut Hoyer and only take on 10 million extra salary for improved competition to Brissett and more draft capital. We could still hopefully draft a QB early but this would mean he definitely wouldn’t have to play a snap next year

I think he can be the franchise QB, but there will have to be a lot of improvement. He still looks like the best of the backup QBs. He can make that jump, it's just a question if he will. I would still draft someone else for healthy competition this off season. JB will get the edge and another year to show what hes got, but the his seat is still hot.

• Like 1

For the people voting for Chad Kelly - IMO there is nothing Chad Kelly can do in the remaining 2-3 games to convince the Colts he's the answer, simply because some of the biggest questions about him are not on the field and he cannot really alleviate those concerns on a football field. He can throw for 400 a game and 10TD/0INT by the end of the year and the Colts STILL should NOT feel comfortable giving him the spot and still should be looking elsewhere. This is what you get when you've spent your whole young adult life proving you cannot be trusted - you won't be trusted. I'm not sure Chad Kelly can do anything to make the Colts forego the search of QB this coming off-season if they are not sold on Jacoby. If anything his fight is for long-term roster spot as a QB2 or QB 3. If I were a GM, there is zero chance in hell I'm giving the keys to the car to Chad Kelly no matter what he does in a couple mostly meaningless games. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

For the people voting for Chad Kelly - IMO there is nothing Chad Kelly can do in the remaining 2-3 games to convince the Colts he's the answer, simply because some of the biggest questions about him are not on the field and he cannot really alleviate those concerns on a football field. He can throw for 400 a game and 10TD/0INT by the end of the year and the Colts STILL should NOT feel comfortable giving him the spot and still should be looking elsewhere. This is what you get when you've spent your whole young adult life proving you cannot be trusted - you won't be trusted. I'm not sure Chad Kelly can do anything to make the Colts forego the search of QB this coming off-season if they are not sold on Jacoby. If anything his fight is for long-term roster spot as a QB2 or QB 3. If I were a GM, there is zero chance in hell I'm giving the keys to the car to Chad Kelly no matter what he does in a couple mostly meaningless games. 

LMAO
 He is on the 53 and that says all you need to know about your hysterics.
 The Answer would be that he got himself some game reps, and that would be good for any young, talented QB. OBVIOUSLY he must remain a model citizen up to and including FA and the draft to be part of the conversation.
 Some of you act like CB would pass on a QB that he wants that is sitting there on his board.
 Grow the _____ UP!

35 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

LMAO
 He is on the 53 and that says all you need to know about your hysterics.
 The Answer would be that he got himself some game reps, and that would be good for any young, talented QB. OBVIOUSLY he must remain a model citizen up to and including FA and the draft to be part of the conversation.
 Some of you act like CB would pass on a QB that he wants that is sitting there on his board.
 Grow the _____ UP!

This is not about him being on a 53 man roster where he gets minimum salary and never sees the field. This is about you making key decisions for your roster and the face of your franchise with the biggest consideration being Chad Kelly. This is NOT happening. It would be INSANITY to heppen. To make a decision to... a/give up on Jacoby, b/give up on drafting a QB high, c/give up on pursuing a FA QB. There is close to ZERO chance they do that for Chad Kelly. 

Ballard won't pass on a QB he wants and is sitting on his board, this is very far from what I'm saying... in fact I expect him to get his QB in this coming draft. This was specifically about Chad Kelly and is informed by his extensive history of not being trustworthy both in college and in the NFL. I just don't see a scenario where Ballard gives Chad Kelly the QB1 spot and a huge pay raise.  

I don't mind giving him opportunity to play if we've given up on Jacoby already with the season being over(no chance for playoffs), but I do think it would be more about him securing a spot as a QB2/3 on the roster rather than about making him your QB1. 

• Like 1