Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard (mid-season)

Rackeen305

Headed into the Pittsburgh game, the Colts were (5-2). All things considered, that game gave me even more optimism about the current team. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong during the game (Untimed down going into half time, resulting in PITTS 3 pt FG, Brisette getting injured, No TY HILTON, Missed FGs by Vinny) and we still lost by 2 at PITTSBURGH.

All things considered (Franchise QB retiring before the season starts, Your key off-season WR hasn't played 1 down) How would you grade CB at the mid season point?

I would give him a big fat B+ and that's being super critical in that I believe we were extremely modest during Free Agency. Thoughts?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Headed into the Pittsburgh game, the Colts were (5-2). All things considered, that game gave me even more optimism about the current team. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong during the game (Untimed down going into half time, resulting in PITTS 3 pt FG, Brisette getting injured, No TY HILTON, Missed FGs by Vinny) and we still lost by 2 at PITTSBURGH.

All things considered (Franchise QB retiring before the season starts, Your key off-season WR hasn't played 1 down) How would you grade CB at the mid season point?

I would give him a big fat B+ and that's being super critical in that I believe we were extremely modest during Free Agency. Thoughts?

Funchess played in the opener

A-

Minus- I feel like he could have improved the team near the trade deadline. You can’t be mad at not doing anything but I just feel especially with the injuries the Colts usually get that an upgrade of the team could help with a playoff push.

A because he has done a great job building the team and getting a great young core together and collecting draft picks.

A

1. Managed CAP extremely well

2. Accumulated a lot of draft capital

3. Avoided high priced FA’s

4. Resiliency during the McDaniels debacle and getting F. Reich as HC. 
5. Losing Luck!

Colts window is starting to open for the foreseeable future. :thmup:

• Like 3

I'm gonna give him an A. I can't quite give him an A+ as much as I'd want too.  There's still room for improvement.  That said, has any GM in the league ever dealt with so much adversity over their first 3 year tenure than Chris Ballard and still come out with a winning record?  From the Luck shoulder injury and lame duck Pagano, to the Bait and Switch by Josh McDaniels, to Andrew Luck's surprise retirement. to now the mounting injuries to SEVERAL starters. I mean, the dude really deserves GM of the Year AGAIN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MPStack said:

A

5. Losing Luck!

True. We have to see the forest for the trees and it will dawn on us that while a few things could have been tweaked here and there, the direction is extremely positive for our franchise.

I would give him an A. Things I would have liked is to be a little more active in free agency for more WRs. I would have also liked more defensive tackle draft picks. The fact that we have maintained a decent floor with Brissett and possibly continue that with Hoyer if Brissett misses time is also a credit to Ballard, IMO. 

• Like 1

Whether we’re grading his three and a half seasons, or just his 2019 campaign, the man gets an “A” from me.

In a short amount of time, Ballard is already recognizes as one of the top GMs in the game.   He and his staff work tirelessly.  They make sound strategic moves.

Even if I don’t understand what they’re doing it, or why they’re doing it,  I never think I know better.   I’m confident this front office knows what they’re doing.  

No red marks on CBs report card.  I think the Colts are lucky to have him.  

• Like 1

Solid B

My biggest issue that we’ve all discussed and agreed on is how he didn’t do enough to address the interior D-Line.  Other than that, solid offseason.

We need to give Reich an A+ though. Went from Luck to Brissett, and didn’t miss a beat. Then loses Brissett and aside from the pick-6, had Hoyer looking right.

• Like 1

He’s got a cool, level head. Life throws some of the worst NFL situations his way, and he just shrugs it off and gets to work. Some may be frustrated with his management style, but he has a long term plan and he’s not straying from it.

The NFL community as a whole loves the guy. That’s high praise for our skipper.

A.

6 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

That untimed down crap was trash.

5 hours ago, MPStack said:

A

5. Losing Luck!

B-

A solid B+, but only because I grade harshly on this stuff. Last year was just an A, not even and A+, and he didn’t do quite that well this year, though it’s still a very good year. Depending on the second half of the season and how players develop and return from injuries, it could definitely move up

7 hours ago, twfish said:

A+ We are leading the division right now with a back up QB and we have a ton of very young players contributing in big areas

Sorry for the nitpick...but they are actually not leading the division...they are down one in the win column. They do control their destiny I guess...but it's a bit too early to say that.

• Like 1

I'll say "A-" for trading back AND splurging a bit on Houston. I would have liked to see a couple other moves made...but I am sure every team in the NFL could say that. The draft class hasn't been amazing...but fairly solid with contributions from several guys...and upside for the future.

He sort of set the standard for what an "A+" type offseason looked like last year...so I am grading it in that context...with a bit of a curve since he didn't have the same draft assets. 

On the financial side...a bit lower...but that's just IMO. Contract structures have been great...but not crazy with how some of that cap space has been used...strictly from a financial standpoint. 

I'll say a solid B.   It's too early to judge the 2019 draft class.   I will say that at this point Rock isn't playing like the 34th pick in the draft.  

I think Ballard could have addressed the interior D line in free agency or near the trade deadline.   I wish he would have snagged Fitzpatrick from Miami.  

I'm a Ballard homer, but he has cost us 1, maybe 2 games by not getting rid of Veniteiri. I definitely blame him for losing the Steeler game, as he 100% knew about his struggles. I'm 50/50 to blame him on the Chargers loss, but I have a feeling he knew Adam was struggling and tried to ride it out with him. If we drafted or signed a new kicker we'd be 7-1, and that's on Ballard for not having the stones to cut Adam.

Besides that, he handled the draft and FA well, and also patched up the QB situation decently after Luck quit on us.

C+ for Ballard.

• Like 1

I would give him a  B+

My only compliant is that he had one stellar year of drafting, but the others are looking weaker and weaker.  He seems to have an Al Davis philosophy when it comes to measureables and player production when drafting.  He drafts guys that have middling to below average production in college and really fly in the face of draft analytics.  The three players that draft analytics guys liked:

1. Quentin Nelson

2. Darius Leonard (round 3 or later - was a reach by most, but his production was there in college)

3. Bradon Smith

Besides them, it is almost as if his staff doesn't take production analytics into account when drafting, and now many of those early picks are not looking so great. 

Also, it is almost as if the Colts have to be the "smartest guys in the room", with picks like:

Groover Stewart 

Thiquan Lewis - tremendous reach

Darious Leonard (in the top of the 2nd) - that worked out

EJ Speed

If these picks pan out, they just may be the smartest guys in the room.

However, I have been pleasantly surprised by:

Khari Willis

Anthony Walker Junior

Kemoko Turay

59 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm a Ballard homer, but he has cost us 1, maybe 2 games by not getting rid of Veniteiri. I definitely blame him for losing the Steeler game, as he 100% knew about his struggles. I'm 50/50 to blame him on the Chargers loss, but I have a feeling he knew Adam was struggling and tried to ride it out with him. If we drafted or signed a new kicker we'd be 7-1, and that's on Ballard for not having the stones to cut Adam.

Besides that, he handled the draft and FA well, and also patched up the QB situation decently after Luck quit on us.

C+ for Ballard.

That's on Irsay, not Ballard. 

B+

Even with Houston there are pass rush issues.

A little too much loyalty to Vinatieri. But after reading the article about the kids they made a home for, I respect Ballard more as a person and totally understand the loyalty. 

But there were injuries to wrs and dbs too. Keeping Pascal, picking up Dulin and Taylor and drafting Tell are pluses.