Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Damn Good baby! We are still in this thing!

horseshoecrabs

It was a hard fought battle, but we still are a team to be reckoned with. We can still be a force without a true franchise QB. Ballard has gave us a team that is relevant. I would love the luxury of having a franchise QB, but we don't, but regardless of our situation , we still are building a great team around , what we hoped was  around a franchise QB. Regardless, we have the team that can be relevant. down the road, if we buy in, and believe in the process. Yes we would like to have the Franchise QB we enjoyed over the decades, but for now we need to pull for  us to develop over the season to be a good overall team.   Go Colts!           

• Like 1

I liked what I saw last week, sans the run defense missing Sheard and Vin's misses plus the crap call on Denico, but didn't get to watch this.  Hopefully the NFL Network will show it so I can actually see it.  One thing that concerns me, Mack didn't have a good game.  Can anyone tell me why?

• Thanks 1

That was a playoff caliber win.  The team had to grind and grind hard to get just enough opportunities to lock this one up and it came down to Reich successfully implementing a good clock strategy to run the Titans out of time to come back.

Brissett... needs a little work, but he was good enough to win against a team that's probably going to be playing in January.  This makes me feel a lot more confident that the Colts will be in the playoff mix and can win when they get there.

I mean thinking in Superbowl terms I don't think anyone's getting through the Pats this year but if anyone does, it will be a team with a strong defense and a complete squad with no major weaknesses, and I think that describes us pretty well.  Anyway, we have as good a chance as anyone right now to be the team they meet in the AFCCG.

Very much encouraged by their ability to win this game.  This is a game they could have easily laid down and died after giving up their lead in the second half... looked like they were poised to do just that, then Reich and Brissett engineer a drive in the 4th quarter and then burn a lot of clock to help the defense hold that lead.  And despite Brissett having issues all game he came through in the clutch, which is huge

That was a signature win IMHO.  One that is going to help turn these players into a proper team, one for the franchise to grow on.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

In your opinion. Perhaps we have different opinions of what a  franchise QB is. 

Oh please don't go there , I'm sure your perspicacity and analytical prow less knows the difference from past definitions of what we deem franchise QB's of the past. We only hope that non projected  ones like Kurt Warner, Brady, ect.. and even Jacoby can become one , under the right system. 

40 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

I liked what I saw last week, sans the run defense missing Sheard and Vin's misses plus the crap call on Denico, but didn't get to watch this.  Hopefully the NFL Network will show it so I can actually see it.  One thing that concerns me, Mack didn't have a good game.  Can anyone tell me why?

He did have a 20 yard. run called back on another bogus holding call.  That said they were ready for him and I thought our use of him running the ball became predictable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coltsfan66 said:

The Titans have a very good run D, I thought Mack did pretty well all things considering. He pulled yards out of negative plays more than once

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coltsfan66 said:

keyed in to stop him, but the great thing is Wilkins went off when he got the ball. the running game was still productive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

keyed in to stop him, but the great thing is Wilkins went off when he got the ball. the running game was still productive.

wilkins still has the best vision and feet out of all of our backs if he had the speed and wiggle mack has he's be a bell cow of a back. just needs to stay healthy he has a knack for hitting the holes.

56 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The defense played like the defense we expected them to be today.  8 sacks in two games is impressive no matter who you are.  Outside of one drive in the first half they only gave up points on a short field and only three off turnovers.  They had a great game.  

They still need to shore up that run D. Teams are gashing us at times.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

They still need to shore up that run D. Teams are gashing us at times.

That was a big part that helped out a lot with last year's defense.  Team's couldn't run much on us.  

I'm sort of wondering where that went.  We didn't really lose anyone in the front 7 and none of them are at ages where they would be expected to be in decline. 

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

we are going to get destroyed by the chiefs. They look unstoppable even without hill

Dropping a game or 2 to elite teams is inevitable.  This is not an elite team.  It has the building blocks but hasn't had multiple years to grow together like the Chiefs and Patriots.  It will take time, and in the meantime we do have to accept that there are better teams than the Colts right now.  that doesn't mean we can't put up a fight against better teams on paper.  Heck we just did.  Arguably twice.

• Like 1

Hard fought win yesterday and it was a big divisional win, which made it even more important.

Our defense played well and limited Henry.  He had a couple of big runs, but all good RBs will have those in games...it's key to limit those and make the consistent stops to limit the good ones to 2-3 yards per carry, which we did.

Mariotta still does not impress me and I can see the Titans moving on from him after this season.  He makes bad decisions when he runs the ball and puts himself in danger.

We had some costly penalties, but were able to overcome those.  Feel so badly for Adam V. and I wonder if this was his last game.  He had the appearance of a confused and defeated man on the sideline.

9 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Hard fought win yesterday and it was a big divisional win, which made it even more important.

Our defense played well and limited Henry.  He had a couple of big runs, but all good RBs will have those in games...it's key to limit those and make the consistent stops to limit the good ones to 2-3 yards per carry, which we did.

Mariotta still does not impress me and I can see the Titans moving on from him after this season.  He makes bad decisions when he runs the ball and puts himself in danger.

We had some costly penalties, but were able to overcome those.  Feel so badly for Adam V. and I wonder if this was his last game.  He had the appearance of a confused and defeated man on the sideline.

I agree with all of this.  

At some point we need to see Brissett air it out for 300 yards or so.  I fear that he will start to lose confidence in himself.   

58 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree with all of this.  

At some point we need to see Brissett air it out for 300 yards or so.  I fear that he will start to lose confidence in himself.   

He did it a couple times in 17 so that's something he's capable of.  I think Reich is trying to integrate the QB into a broader offensive strategy right now.  As he gets more comfortable with the adjustments Reich is trying to get him to make, we'll see things open up a bit more.

One thing to bear in mind, we just played 2 pretty good defenses, I don't think Reich is going to be this conservative against every team we play.  Against weaker squads I think we'll see him try to open it up a bit more.  Right now with an inexperienced quarterback still trying to get a feel for the way his coach wants him to play, facing some stronger opponents, wasn't the time to go big.

It's very encouraging that even with Brissett struggling a bit and the situation limiting what he can do, he still found ways to contribute positively.  This might be his weakest moment all year depending on how well he develops, and he delivered when he had to.  That's a good thing.

NE and KC are the clear crown jewels of the AFC. They are the obvious locks for January Football.

I'd say Indy is in the Tier 2 right now, with teams like Baltimore, LAC, Tennessee, Houston, and I'll even put Buffalo there for now.

8 teams, who as of right now look like playoff calibre squads to me. At least 2 of em won't make it. I absolutely think the Colts, led by Jacoby Brissett, can beat out 2 of those clubs (or more if teams like Cleveland and Oakland step up).

The Jets, Steelers (with Ben's injury), Dolphins, Broncos, Bengals and Jaguars will likely make up this seasons basement.