Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone else weirdly excited to see how this season goes

less excited than before but still watching.  this could have been a super bowl team, if not this year then soon 

JB will probably be good enough to win games with the talent around him, but not enough to get the trophy.  tough spot to be in 

• Like 4

This makes it far more intriguing. Way better to watch a team over perform than underperform. If we get a playoff win this year I'll be happy with the progress of the roster. If we didnt get to the AFC championship with Luck, it would of been a dissapointing season.

• Like 1

I'm weirdly at ease about it. Definitely excited, not with super high expectations by any means, but excited to watch Colts football.

The "at ease" feeling is mostly because I was always admittedly concerned about Luck staying healthy long term. Said as much in that (now very interesting in hindsight) Peter King/Luck interview thread. I realize now that to some degree it got in the way of my enjoyment of the team, or at least made watching games more nerve wracking than it should be. So, I'm ready to just enjoy watching the Colts without that small looming cloud of concern.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

its part of what makes being a fan such a great experience. when Edge went down who in the world thought Rhodes was going to be a gem of a find? some times unfortunate things happen but i know it's a good time to be a colt fan. If this happens under Grigson maybe Irsay is trying to Mayflower it out of here again (hahaha) but knowing the type of GM and HC we have here it's going to be fun to watch this young team grow.

• Like 3

I am...looking forward to seeing JB after his improvement and the overall improvement of the roster from 2017.

Also, because now with Luck retired, there is a sense of closure.  We know he's not coming back.  Otherwise, we'd always be speculating and wondering when or if he'd be returning.

I really believe the retirement will give the team a sense of relief.  They know who their QB is and can rally around him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I am interested to see what happens at the QB position. It is Brissett's to lose - but I think Kelly is going to push him because sadly I expect JB to be underwhelming when it is all said and done. Hope I am wrong.

However, even is JB plays well I think sneaking into the playoffs is the absolute ceiling. But yes with zero expectations comes a sense of relief.

I see Jacoby as a more athletic Eli Manning. Eli has never been a top 5 QB in any one year he has played. However; he did win two Super Bowls with an inferior O-LINE than the Colts. 

If Ballard can continue to build the Defense, I see the same potential with this Colts team. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

less excited than before but still watching.  this could have been a super bowl team, if not this year then soon 

JB will probably be good enough to win games with the talent around him, but not enough to get the trophy.  tough spot to be in 

Ditto

I'm excited, but not as much as I was when the team could have competed for the Superbowl.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I have come to trust that we have a good roster. And nothing says Ballard cant continue his success building this team. So we added QB to the list of serious scouting duties. But you dont need a top 5 QB to win multiple SBs. 

they dont have to be top 5 i guess, but they need to be good. 

personally i dont think the answer is on the roster but we will spend a year or two finding out 

2 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I'm using this season to see just how much this team's talent level has improved since Ballard took over for Grigson. I think it's so much better, and this season should hopefully prove that

If we have any holes I think they will defiantly show without luck. With him he could mask any holes the team might have.  In a way this could be a good thing so the team can figure out where they need to improve.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

they dont have to be top 5 i guess, but they need to be good. 

personally i dont think the answer is on the roster but we will spend a year or two finding out 

I think we have 2 good QBs. Not great. Not elite. But good. I think Brissett will do well once the offense gets going. Reichs plan for a top 5 running game will help tremendously. But even top 10 is great for the Colts... this offense shouldn't miss out on scoring either. This offense has scary talent on it right now from the ground up, with a slight exception in Brissett. But hes got the locker room behind him. Hes been practicing with them all so they have some timing and trust down with each other, and he knows the playbook for 2 offseasons. Factor that in with Riechs QB coaching abilities, I would be surprised if the offense doesn't remain good. Jacoby would have to be below average to bad in order for our offense to not do well. 

• Like 2

Over the past two days. I've watched as much Brissett film as I could and I'm having a hard time getting excited.  Could you be a scrappy team, go 9-7 and win a wild card with Brissett?  Sure, but I find it inconceivable you could ever compete on a high level, compete for a championship with him. 

I'll be watching nonetheless.  If they're still alive in December, it's better than nothing.

• Thanks 1

In just a couple years we have gone from a team without players that i was that enthused about, to having many with really interesting potential.
 That IS football for me. Watching talented young players ascend, then becoming a really good team. I watched the Cowboys make the playoffs for 20 straight years.
 This kind of team building is what i believe i am witnessing.
And i LOVE IT!  Go Colts!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

I am...looking forward to seeing JB after his improvement and the overall improvement of the roster from 2017.

Also, because now with Luck retired, there is a sense of closure.  We know he's not coming back.  Otherwise, we'd always be speculating and wondering when or if he'd be returning.

I really believe the retirement will give the team a sense of relief.  They know who their QB is and can rally around him.

The two areas I hope JB has improved in:

Getting the ball out quicker - check

Having a better “touch” on the short throws-TBD

As far as closure: I’m assuming this is it but Matt Hasselbeck had this to say;

“ I’m sure he believes right now that he is 100% done.

But knowing Andrew like I do, and his love for the game, I’m writing it in pencil, not pen. But that’s just me.”

I hope JB does well and the backup is irrelevant, but I like what I’m seeing in Chad Kelly. Either way, I’m still hoping for the team to make the playoffs.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

“ I’m sure he believes right now that he is 100% done.

But knowing Andrew like I do, and his love for the game, I’m writing it in pencil, not pen. But that’s just me.”

he probably knows lucks love for the game better than anyone.  coming back would be a logistical problem though, and id be pretty surprised if it ever pans out

say we draft someone and then luck wants to come back, then what?  its hard to see Irsay ever trading him

Personally I don't think Luck is done either.  I think he just needed to get away from the game a little bit.  He's got the injury thing, the new marriage and the new baby on the way so I suspect all of it played into his decision making.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Personally I don't think Luck is done either.  I think he just needed to get away from the game a little bit.  He's got the injury thing, the new marriage and the new baby on the way so I suspect all of it played into his decision making.

After a few months of changing diapers and middle of the night feedings, Irsay's phone might be ringing some night at 3:00 am.. :) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hammer said:

After a few months of changing diapers and middle of the night feedings, Irsay's phone might be ringing some night at 3:00 am.. :) 

When he got married and had the baby I sort of wondered how that would effect him.  Peyton didn't really go that route until near the end of his career. 

What will keep Luck retired is he is intelligent add to that his new life i.e., wife & children. It sounds like he has lost his love of the game and that separates him from other that have walked away only to return. Who knows, the bonding with fellow players is very strong and that is what the players hate to walk away from most. It is anybody's guess.

3 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm weirdly at ease about it. Definitely excited, not with super high expectations by any means, but excited to watch Colts football.

The "at ease" feeling is mostly because I was always admittedly concerned about Luck staying healthy long term. Said as much in that (now very interesting in hindsight) Peter King/Luck interview thread. I realize now that to some degree it got in the way of my enjoyment of the team, or at least made watching games more nerve wracking than it should be. So, I'm ready to just enjoy watching the Colts without that small looming cloud of concern.

There's definitely an odd sense of relief knowing that I won't have to stress about Luck's health every week. And there's no pressure now as expectations are significantly lower, so i could see this team being WAY better than what they're getting credit for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If luck wants to come back I don’t see it with the colts. The only way that happens is if this team tanks and he wants to come back next year. We aren’t going to wait around and not fix the QB situation hoping he returns. If the team gets ten wins this season and Luck wants to return next year he will be traded.

I'm looking forward to a team that is focused on fundamentals on offense. Moving the ball and chewing time up. Profecting the ball better than ever. Finishing drives and putting points up. We have the offense. We have a capable quarterback. We FINALLY have the coaching staff. 

I'm looking forward to watching a defense that is looking to improve on last season by mixing up coverages more, bringing more pressure up front, and disrupting games single handedly. Houston will be huge. Turay looks damn good this offseason. We have the tools. This defense now has the pressure and motivation. 

Im looking forward to Adam Viniateri kicking 50 plus all season long and specifically the game winner against the Jags on Dec. 29th to propel us to the playoffs... a day after he turns 47 years old. 

Go Blue. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If luck wants to come back I don’t see it with the colts. The only way that happens is if this team tanks and he wants to come back next year. We aren’t going to wait around and not fix the QB situation hoping he returns. If the team gets ten wins this season and Luck wants to return next year he will be traded.

They won’t trade his rights, at least not for something small. I’m talking like 4-5 1st round pics and then some