Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fountain is looking good

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

A video of him practicing. To bad he is going to have a hard time making this team.

Hilton, Funchess, and Campbell are locks. Cain is close to a lock. Depending on if we keep 5 or 6 receivers, he has a small chance to crack the 53 if he balls out in practice or the preseason and he could be on the PS again if eligible. I hope he can turn it around before we release him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Considering the coaching staff have already been using cut-ups of him and his playmaking ability I think he's got as good a chance as anyone.

Special teams is what will make the difference on who makes the squad or not. Pretty much the same as the corners....

Or they’re playing him up to try to entice a trade deal later on?

I'm anxious for training camp to start and interested to see how Fountain performs.

He is very easy to write off after last year but it was known that he was pretty raw when drafted. He mentioned on his Twitter account a couple months back something along the lines of learning the hard way that nothing is guaranteed you have to work every day. 

If I had to bet money on someone to surprise people with his performance this camp I think Fountain is as good of a candidate as anyone.

• Like 1

I've read this several times but what's the rationale behind the thought that Cain is any more of a lock than Fountain?

Fountain's actually played in the league, played in the playoffs, and experienced it all, that has to count for something. Cain had a good preseason but is coming back from an ACL injury and most players don't come back full speed for more than a full season and expecting Cain to be full speed next year is really benchmarking HIGH. Why is he more of a lock than a guy who has played in the league and definitely learned a few things? 

7 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I've read this several times but what's the rationale behind the thought that Cain is any more of a lock than Fountain?

Fountain's actually played in the league, played in the playoffs, and experienced it all, that has to count for something. Cain had a good preseason but is coming back from an ACL injury and most players don't come back full speed for more than a full season and expecting Cain to be full speed next year is really benchmarking HIGH. Why is he more of a lock than a guy who has played in the league and definitely learned a few things? 

Because from what we know, he's very talented, the coaching staff likes him a lot, he has a way higher ceiling, and he is recovering well from the ACL tear. Yes, technically from a fan standpoint neither player has proven anything on the big field, but then again neither has our 2nd round picks this year, and yet no one is saying they're not locks. It's all about how good we think they'll be, not how good they've been so far. 

33 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Because from what we know, he's very talented, the coaching staff likes him a lot, he has a way higher ceiling, and he is recovering well from the ACL tear. Yes, technically from a fan standpoint neither player has proven anything on the big field, but then again neither has our 2nd round picks this year, and yet no one is saying they're not locks. It's all about how good we think they'll be, not how good they've been so far. 

The coaching staff like Fountain a lot too don't they? GM likes Fountain too, heck he picked Fountain (the small school kid) before Cain.

Higher ceiling based on what? His college profile? What're these projections based on? We've seen many preseason star wideouts in Indy, every season there's one, what's Cain got over the competition?

Also the ACL tear seems to be underestimated. It's a lot to expect him to contribute seriously this year. Not many players can do what AP did. Look at Hooker last year, he admittedly wasn't same guy and took until this offseason for him to fully recover. It's just a huge ask to come back at full speed, and combining that with the fact he's essentially a rookie, I'm still not seeing how he's more of a lock than Fountain or Marcus Johnson or Pascal or Chester. Ideally, they all take jumps this year but if I were betting, I'd have Chester, Pascal and Fountain ahead of Cain for sure. Probably also Marcus Johnson. Cain's ahead of the rookies because he's been in the building a year but the others have actually been in live NFL (including playoff) games and contributed. I'd love to see Cain do well but ultimately I think he's behind the others and I think they'll all take leaps going into year 2 under Reich.

**not even mentioned Krishawn Hogan who the coaches reportedly adore.

• Like 1

They also are not going to cut  Cain because he had a injury. They are going to give this kid every chance to fully recover and show what he has. He showed way to much promise in training camp last season. Think of all the he film Cain got to study while injured. He said he has been tight with Hilton while injured and learning the game.

14 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

The coaching staff like Fountain a lot too don't they? GM likes Fountain too, heck he picked Fountain (the small school kid) before Cain.

Higher ceiling based on what? His college profile? What're these projections based on? We've seen many preseason star wideouts in Indy, every season there's one, what's Cain got over the competition?

Also the ACL tear seems to be underestimated. It's a lot to expect him to contribute seriously this year. Not many players can do what AP did. Look at Hooker last year, he admittedly wasn't same guy and took until this offseason for him to fully recover. It's just a huge ask to come back at full speed, and combining that with the fact he's essentially a rookie, I'm still not seeing how he's more of a lock than Fountain or Marcus Johnson or Pascal or Chester. Ideally, they all take jumps this year but if I were betting, I'd have Chester, Pascal and Fountain ahead of Cain for sure. Probably also Marcus Johnson. Cain's ahead of the rookies because he's been in the building a year but the others have actually been in live NFL (including playoff) games and contributed. I'd love to see Cain do well but ultimately I think he's behind the others and I think they'll all take leaps going into year 2 under Reich.

**not even mentioned Krishawn Hogan who the coaches reportedly adore.

You're acting as if we don't know anything about Deon Cain. The higher ceiling is based on the fact that he's a second round talent that dropped due to personality concerns, and the fact that he was doing so well in camp. Obviously I'm not saying they don't like Fountain, but before the preseason the Colts were calling him "the steal of the draft". Turns out we did have the steal of the draft, but that's besides the point :banana:

The ACL tear isn't being underestimated, the thing is that there's a difference when you tear your ACL in August vs October or November. Also, what has Fountain done to prove more than Cain? He was on the practice squad, and he had that one divisional game drop. Other than that I don't see why you think Fountain is more proven or whatever. And it is simply absurd to have him over Pascal and Chester. The problem is that we know what they are: not very good. When deciding who to keep on the roster, the question is not "have these guys contributed before?" The question is "will these guys contribute?" And the answer is, from what I've seen and heard, Deon Cain is talented and is at least worth keeping more than Pascal and Chester. 

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

They also are not going to cut  Cain because he had a injury. They are going to give this kid every chance to fully recover and show what he has. He showed way to much promise in training camp last season. Think of all the he film Cain got to study while injured. He said he has been tight with Hilton while injured and learning the game.

He'll get his chance, there's no question about that. 

24 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

You're acting as if we don't know anything about Deon Cain. The higher ceiling is based on the fact that he's a second round talent that dropped due to personality concerns, and the fact that he was doing so well in camp. Obviously I'm not saying they don't like Fountain, but before the preseason the Colts were calling him "the steal of the draft". Turns out we did have the steal of the draft, but that's besides the point :banana:

The ACL tear isn't being underestimated, the thing is that there's a difference when you tear your ACL in August vs October or November. Also, what has Fountain done to prove more than Cain? He was on the practice squad, and he had that one divisional game drop. Other than that I don't see why you think Fountain is more proven or whatever. And it is simply absurd to have him over Pascal and Chester. The problem is that we know what they are: not very good. When deciding who to keep on the roster, the question is not "have these guys contributed before?" The question is "will these guys contribute?" And the answer is, from what I've seen and heard, Deon Cain is talented and is at least worth keeping more than Pascal and Chester. 

We don't know anything about Cain, we've seen college tape, we have dreams about what he can be, when the lights turn on, he's a question mark, a big one. We'll just have to wait and see. May the best man win.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

The mystery of the Cain 'lock' continues. Crystal ball fandome me thinks. We don't really have a clue who will be in the 53 at the rear end of the WR depth chart. The coaches probably don't know, so how come folks on here seem too? 

If Cain wasn’t coming off of injury I would agree with you. I just don’t see any way they cut him until he is fully back from the injury. If we keep six WR he is isn’t going to have to play that much and will be worked in slowly. Even if fountain does make the roster he probably won’t get much playing time except on special teams. 

10 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

The mystery of the Cain 'lock' continues. Crystal ball fandome me thinks. We don't really have a clue who will be in the 53 at the rear end of the WR depth chart. The coaches probably don't know, so how come folks on here seem too? 

Has nothing to do with crystal ball fandom to me. By all reports he had secured starting X last year, looked great, and had good chemistry with Luck before the injury. Purely speaking about the X position, he's has the speed/size/catching ability combination to be a much more of a well rounded X than anyone on the roster.

Sure there are some guys with height and speed on the roster, but 1) they had the same height and speed last year, but got beat out by Cain, and 2) none had the production/performance on a big stage like Cain in college (yes his production took a dip when Watson left)

Could someone like Fountain catch up to him, sure. Could his injury permanently impact his speed, sure. Funchess at X is a very different type of receiver and not really in direct competition with Cain. At the end of the day, the Colts were very high on him going into last season based on his performance in camp. And if that's the case, they're going to keep him and see if he returns to form. At worst, he'll end up on PUP or PS if he's slow to return.

Locks for significant role in 2019 short of injury

TY (Z)

Funch (possession X, bully slot)

Campbell (I think we all assumed slot, but Ballard talked about him playing outside)

Lock for at least PS or PUP

Cain (prototype X)

Probable 53

Rogers (based on experience/production he brings - slot, returns, experience backing up Z)

Good chance of at least PS, maybe better

Fountain (X)

Dulin (could really play any WR if he can beat the press, plus returns)

Pascal (X, returns)

It would surprise me if they made the 53, perhaps PS or futures

Veasy

Johnson

Ismael

Hogan

Hart

Not that it will happen, but I'd love to see us keep 6 to cover back ups, but all also to give us different types of weapons. With six, we could have a legit incredible bag of tools for every situation. Pro-Bowl Z (TY), speed demon slot (Parris), legit speed X (Cain), possession X / bully slot (Funch), plus a Z/slot back up (Rogers or Dulin), and a traditional X backup (Fountain or Pascal).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Has nothing to do with crystal ball fandom to me. By all reports he had secured starting X last year, looked great, and had good chemistry with Luck before the injury. Purely speaking about the X position, he's has the speed/size/catching ability combination to be a much more of a well rounded X than anyone on the roster.

I don't recall any reports saying Cain would be the starting X WR. He played one preseason game and Ryan Grant started that game at X.

31 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I don't recall any reports saying Cain would be the starting X WR. He played one preseason game and Ryan Grant started that game at X.

I've posted a few articles about Cain being the favorite last year to take over X. The Indy Star guys (Holder and Keefer) gushed about him. 

Regardless, Grant had zero receptions that game (I don't think he was targeted at all) while Cain had a catch before his injury. IIRC, Grant only had one reception the entire preseason. 

On 7/16/2019 at 9:24 AM, Colt.45 said:

We don't know anything about Cain, we've seen college tape, we have dreams about what he can be, when the lights turn on, he's a question mark, a big one. We'll just have to wait and see. May the best man win.

We don't, but they do. And from what we've heard from them, he could be something special. 

On 7/15/2019 at 5:12 PM, Chloe6124 said:

The fact that they did a multi-part documentary about Cain (IMO) says a lot.  It'd be pretty awkward to give the guy that much hype and publicity and then release him.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2019 at 11:07 AM, Colt.45 said:

They say same about almost every player. Have you heard them gush about Chester? 

Not like Cain. They literally called him the steal of the draft. He was getting national media coverage in training camp. A 6th round pick by the Colts was getting national media coverage before the preseason even started