Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kurt Warner doesn't think Luck is a top-5 QB

Lucky Colts Fan

3 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I don't think he was a top 5 QB either.......

Why?

He was top-5 statistically in 2018.

He's one of the top-5 most talented QBs in the league.

He has a top-5 OLine.

Hilton, Ebron, Doyle, Campbell, Funchess, Hines is a pretty good group of skill players for the passing game.

He's also been given the second-best odds at the 2019 MVP at 9-1, behind only Mahomes at 6-1.

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Why?

He was top-5 statistically in 2018.

He's one of the top-5 most talented QBs in the league.

He has a top-5 OLine.

Hilton, Ebron, Doyle, Campbell, Funchess, Hines is a pretty good group of skill players for the passing game.

He's also been given the second-best odds at the 2019 MVP at 9-1, behind only Mahomes at 6-1.

I think Braveheart means Warner. :thmup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Hard to argue with his list.

Yep...fairly objective. But there's always going to be a degree of subjectivity when it comes to QBs.

From that list...can't really argue Mahomes or Brees...given the seasons they had. Brady keeps winning Super Bowls every year. Rodgers is arguably the best to ever play the position (best...not greatest)...and then you have Big Ben...who statistically had a very similar season to Luck...but a longer track record.

The whole 5-8 range is pretty subjective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I mean, it's pretty hard to argue with the 5 names on that list. I think Luck is a top 7 QB all day but those top 5 are really good. Brady didn't have a top 5 regular season, but you can't not have him on the list.

And you have guys like Wilson...and even Goff and Wentz. Plus Matt Ryan fits on a list somewhere. Very tough to crack the top 5...the QB position has gotten much stronger.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Can't put Mahomes on that list with one good year.....and fixing to lose his two best playmakers.

Except it's not a good year, it's a top 3 year stat-wise of all time with Brady and Peyton in what was essentially his rookie year. Hill isn't officially gone yet, and they drafted a Hill clone in Mecole Hardman to replace him just in case.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Superman said:

The only part I'd argue is Big Ben.  Big Ben hasn't been that good in a couple seasons. I'd argue that Luck tops Big Ben, now whether or not either should be top 5, depends on what the metrics are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

He left his Arena League wife to get an NFL wife, Lack of character if you ask me

Thats Ad hominem. Lets not attack his character just because you dont like his list. We are all better than that.

• Like 4

I cant see Pat in front of Aaron just yet. One great season dosnt supersede multiple great years. And is big Ben really much better than Luck or Russell Wilson (I honestly think those two are at the same level)?

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The only part I'd argue is Big Ben.  Big Ben hasn't been that good in a couple seasons. I'd argue that Luck tops Big Ben, now whether or not either should be top 5, depends on what the metrics are.

It's subjective, but Ben's performance last year was right up there with Luck's. He had 5,100 yards, 34 TDs, 16 picks, 67% completions, 96 passer rating, adjusted yards 7.5/attempt, TD % 5.0. 

Luck had 4,600 yards, 39 TDs, 15 picks, 67% completions, 99 passer rating, adjusted yards 7.4/attempt, TD % 6.1. Luck had a better season, and the Colts made the playoffs over the Steelers, so if you said Luck was better last year, I'm fine with that.

But Luck didn't play in 2017, and Ben had just as strong a season as he did in 2018. Plus a track record, two rings, higher on all time lists, etc. I think it can be argued either way, but it's not egregious that someone would have Ben ahead of Luck going into 2019.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's subjective, but Ben's performance last year was right up there with Luck's. He had 5,100 yards, 34 TDs, 16 picks, 67% completions, 96 passer rating, adjusted yards 7.5/attempt, TD % 5.0. 

Luck had 4,600 yards, 39 TDs, 15 picks, 67% completions, 99 passer rating, adjusted yards 7.4/attempt, TD % 6.1. Luck had a better season, and the Colts made the playoffs over the Steelers, so if you said Luck was better last year, I'm fine with that.

But Luck didn't play in 2017, and Ben had just as strong a season as he did in 2018. Plus a track record, two rings, higher on all time lists, etc. I think it can be argued either way, but it's not egregious that someone would have Ben ahead of Luck going into 2019.

Agree. Also, if we are going solely off last year's stats...then Matt Ryan probably has the most legit gripe.

Statistically, he was a top 5 QB last year...maybe even top 3. He quietly had a phenomenal season...and he's only two years removed from being an MVP. 

I wouldn't say Ryan is a top 5 QB...but he has as good of an argument as any. Once you get past those top 4...it's very subjective as to what you value.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Reidm said:

Thats Ad hominem. Lets not attack his character just because you dont like his list. We are all better than that.

It may be but "I" have never liked him because of that. That has nothing to do with a list. Character is earned and lots. Leaving your wife for another woman is disgraceful. Its my opinion

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

.... not officially. But he's done.

I think he gets suspended for that audio...but I don't think think he's done. Obviously, things can change...but as of right now...I think it's become more and more likely that he isn't done.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Kurt-Warner-s-top-five-QBs-entering-2019

1. Tom Brady

2. Drew Brees

3. Patrick Mahomes

4. Aaron Rodgers

5. Ben Roethlisberger

Not everyone is on the Colts-Hype Bandwagon yet.  haha

Seriously, is his list that unreasonable?  Anyone with an ounce of a football IQ can make a completely legitimate argument that any QB in that top 5 list deserves to be there.  

And he can not have Luck on his top 5 list and still believe the Colts can be a really good team this year.

The things that people get slighted over are comical.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It may be but "I" have never liked him because of that. That has nothing to do with a list. Character is earned and lots. Leaving your wife for another woman is disgraceful. Its my opinion

Kurt Warner?  I think he's had only one wife.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think it’s much if an insult to say Luck is 6-8 on a list of top QBs. 

Thats where been on many lusts for much of his career.  Somewhere between 4-8.    And I’m fine with that.

We all hope Luck has a great 2019 and maybe next year he’s top-5 on most lists. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That is why I started this thread a week ago as I felt Andrew did need to improve a few metrics to get to that elite level (Top 5). As much as Antonio Brown was good, Big Ben would drop them in a bread basket sometimes, not only to AB but also to JuJu. I feel fine with that list. However, I do think a lot of drops on well thrown balls early on in the season affected Luck's numbers as well. 

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Kurt Warner?  I think he's had only one wife.  

That is what I thought as well. I went back and read it. This would amount to not only smearing one's character but also getting the facts of the story the smear is based on wrong.

Besides, that is out of line for this discussion anyways. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he’s talking about Ben.  But I’ve never heard anything about BR leaving his wife... 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

That is what I thought as well. I went back and read it. This would amount to not only smearing one's character but also getting the facts of the story the smear is based on wrong.

Besides, that is out of line for this discussion anyways. 

That makes more sense.  Kurt Warners marriage was a big part of his story i thought.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Seriously, is his list that unreasonable?  Anyone with an ounce of a football IQ can make a completely legitimate argument that any QB in that top 5 list deserves to be there.  

And he can not have Luck on his top 5 list and still believe the Colts can be a really good team this year.

The things that people get slighted over are comical.

I didn't say it was unreasonable or that I was slighted by it.

I'm just pointing out that he hasn't jumped on the Colts bandwagon like a lot of talking heads.

As I pointed out earlier, Luck is 2nd in odds to win MVP behind Mahomes.  The Hype-Train is chugging along.  haha

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Except it's not a good year, it's a top 3 year stat-wise of all time with Brady and Peyton in what was essentially his rookie year. Hill isn't officially gone yet, and they drafted a Hill clone in Mecole Hardman to replace him just in case.

That's fine that you share his opinion.... I don't. 

• Like 1