Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell

Scott Pennock

Warfield still looks good!  He was such a great player.  My high school played his and even though I was too young to ever see him I remember my dad telling me about how great he was 

Also a great player at OSU and with the Browns (and Miami).  

Parris is hanging with some classic talent (besides Labron)!

• Like 2

There's so few guys that have an NFL route tree when they're drafted, maybe none. If the scale for route running goes up to 10, I'd say even the better guys in college are probably only at 4 or 5. What you're looking for are things you can't coach, like that 4.32 40 and that ridiculous 40 inch vertical jump, put those together and you've got a freaky as* dude. The good news is that Reich, and Sirianni to some degree, will be able to scheme him open early on until he can learn from a guy with similar stature and speed (TY Hilton, who better right?). His bread and butter at OSU were crossing routes, screens, and end arounds but that doesn't mean he can't be a guy to flat out beat his man in single coverage and catch a 40-50 yard bomb, cuz he can. He has good hands, and he catches the ball in the correct way. Once he adds that dimension, I think he can be a better version of Tyreek Hill, the one we saw this season with more developed route running, and diversity in his game. High praises I know, but this kid caught 90 passes last season and 12 TDs, and with the guys we have on Offense, he's gonna be in single coverage always, which is gonna be fun to watch. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

There's so few guys that have an NFL route tree when they're drafted, maybe none. If the scale for route running goes up to 10, I'd say even the better guys in college are probably only at 4 or 5. What you're looking for are things you can't coach, like that 4.32 40 and that ridiculous 40 inch vertical jump, put those together and you've got a freaky as* dude. The good news is that Reich, and Sirianni to some degree, will be able to scheme him open early on until he can learn from a guy with similar stature and speed (TY Hilton, who better right?). His bread and butter at OSU were crossing routes, screens, and end arounds but that doesn't mean he can't be a guy to flat out beat his man in single coverage and catch a 40-50 yard bomb, cuz he can. He has good hands, and he catches the ball in the correct way. Once he adds that dimension, I think he can be a better version of Tyreek Hill, the one we saw this season with more developed route running, and diversity in his game. High praises I know, but this kid caught 90 passes last season and 12 TDs, and with the guys we have on Offense, he's gonna be in single coverage always, which is gonna be fun to watch. 

This is so true. We can use him exactly how OH ST used him until he develops that route tree. I am sure they will come up with ways to use both Hines and Campbell at the same time to really confuse defenses.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is so true. We can use him exactly how OH ST used him until he develops that route tree. I am sure they will come up with ways to use both Hines and Campbell at the same time to really confuse defenses.

Can you imagine having to gameplan for TY, Funchess, Doyle, Ebron, Campbell, and the RBs? All the while you have a surgeon as a QB, and arguably the best pass protecting line in the NFL with another year under their belts. I think they legitimately have a chance to be the best offense in the league this year. It's gonna be fun, and it's a challenging schedule, I'm excited. 

• Like 4

Just now, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Can you imagine having to gameplan for TY, Funchess, Doyle, Ebron, Campbell, and the RBs? All the while you have a surgeon as a QB, and arguably the best pass protecting line in the NFL with another year under their belts. I think they legitimately have a chance to be the best offense in the league this year. It's gonna be fun, and it's a challenging schedule, I'm excited. 

If everyone is healthy there is no way they can cover everyone.  This could be lucks best year yet. Knock on wood everyone stays healthy with no long term injuries.

Funny because you didn’t even mention Cain. If he is as advertised we have the deepest offense in the league.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Speed formation.  Hilton, Hines, Campbell  all on field at once. Will give d coordinators  nightmares.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If everyone is healthy there is no way they can cover everyone.  This could be lucks best year yet. Knock on wood everyone stays healthy with no long term injuries.

Funny because you didn’t even mention Cain. If he is as advertised we have the deepest offense in the league.

If Cain is as advertised  Luck breaks the td record  and wins mvp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'm imagine Reggie Wayne is going to be helping out some with the Colts in the off-season.  Reggie was closer in size to Parris (Reggie was 6'0" 203 lbs, Parris 6'0" 205 lbs.).  TY and Parris have very similar speed and quickness (Parris is faster, and I think quicker than Reggie ever was).  

I really do hope Reggie comes and helps out some.  Getting taught by TY and Reggie would be almost the ideal situation for Parris as Reggie can help him use his size (205 lbs. is pretty nice for a WR, as many CBs are in the 175-185 range, especially in the slot) and TY can help him use his speed and quickness (TY at 5'10" 183 lbs. is significantly smaller than Parris, IMO).

You are 100% right, though -- very few WRs are very polished route runners straight out of college.  With Ebron, TY, Funchess, Mack, Hines, etc.. we should be able to find mismatches for Parris early on anyway, even if he needs half a season or more to really polish his routes.  

This clip is worth listening to, from David Carr:  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm imagine Reggie Wayne is going to be helping out some with the Colts in the off-season.  Reggie was closer in size to Parris (Reggie was 6'0" 203 lbs, Parris 6'0" 205 lbs.).  TY and Parris have very similar speed and quickness (Parris is faster, and I think quicker than Reggie ever was).  

I really do hope Reggie comes and helps out some.  Getting taught by TY and Reggie would be almost the ideal situation for Parris as Reggie can help him use his size (205 lbs. is pretty nice for a WR, as many CBs are in the 175-185 range, especially in the slot) and TY can help him use his speed and quickness (TY at 5'10" 183 lbs. is significantly smaller than Parris, IMO).

You are 100% right, though -- very few WRs are very polished route runners straight out of college.  With Ebron, TY, Funchess, Mack, Hines, etc.. we should be able to find mismatches for Parris early on anyway, even if he needs half a season or more to really polish his routes.  

This clip is worth listening to, from David Carr:  

There's a lot of talking heads recognizing what's getting ready to happen in Indy this season. I was hoping for AJ Brown or Nkeal Harry, but I'm actually glad they got Parris Campbell, he's the perfect compliment to the scheme/offense. I just hope that Deon Cain comes back and is the player he was at Clemson, because that would legitimately be unfair. So much talent. 

• Like 1

I'm as excited to see this guy in Reich's offense as I was to see Leonard in our defense his rookie year. They say he was misused in OSU's offense but I only think that's partly true. Reich/Sirianni love those crossing patterns and I think he's really going to excel there. Not to mention, I think he'll be the perfect guy to use in some of those screens that seemed to not work out so well last season.

Also I think he's the perfect guy to learn under TY.

15 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Biggest issue with P. Campbell is he can not catch.  Drops too many easy passes.

Lol!  Yeah, he couldn’t catch for 90 balls, 12 TDS, and over 1000 yards.  

Just think how how good he could have been if only he could catch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

Biggest issue with P. Campbell is he can not catch.  Drops too many easy passes.

Yeah...that's just not true. If there are knocks on him, it's that OSU never really sent him deep so there's no real way to know his proficiency in over-the-top catches, and secondly his lack of consistency and aggressiveness in run blocking. Luckily, these things can be coached, and the odds of him being on the field during obvious running downs, or in 2 TE sets, are pretty slim, at least early in the season. Trust me, Reich and Sirianni are gonna scheme this guy into all kinds of stuff that cater to his game, and hopefully eventually some stuff that doesn't. 

8 hours ago, OhioColt said:

All of the press I've read on him says that dropping passes was something that happened EARLY in his college career, as he was a former RB learning a new position.

This article, for example, says, "Campbell dealt with drop issues during his first few seasons in Columbus, but with more experience was able to become one of the most consistent receivers the Buckeyes have had in recent memory and led the team with 90 receptions this past season — a new program record. But after he gets the ball in his hands, good luck bringing him down."

You don't make 90 receptions if you can't catch the ball. Personally, if I could pick just one player from this year's Colts draft that I'm MOST excited about, it would be Parris Campbell. This guy is fast as hell and hard to bring down. Hilton is fast, but I've seen players catch up with him from behind to make the tackle. There is no catching up with Parris Campbell. If you're behind him, it's too late. It's probably too early to prognosticate, but this guy has NFL star receiver written all over him, IMO.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

With all the weapons we have would it really shock anyone if Campbell ended up the offensive rookie of the year. He is going to be open a ton with a elite QB.

The kid is smart so he will learn the route tree quick I think. He graduated HS at 16 and started college. He was like 15 when he got his scholarship.

You can tell he's a smart, intelligent kid with a good head in his shoulders. Your talent can get you to this point. Who you are as a man will take you further. 

To be fair to the guy who said Parris can't catch - he has had his share of drops.  As @masterlock pointed out, he improved each year.  He's wrong what he said though.  I've watched every game he's played in college and he can catch.

The reward he brings will more than make up for any frustrations we have when he drops an occasional pass.  Ebron had the same drop rate last season as he had in his career in Detroit.  He was roasted for it there. But when you're scoring practically every game, no one cares or remembers the drops.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

For those worried about his "route tree" being limited, even though Reich and Ballard loved his combine performance and his route running there.

Check this video out, getting tutelage from a HoFer.....

Warfield was BIGTIME in his day. Good stuff getting to know people like him.

If we had taken him at 34 i would have loved it.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

To be fair to the guy who said Parris can't catch - he has had his share of drops.  As @masterlock pointed out, he improved each year.  He's wrong what he said though.  I've watched every game he's played in college and he can catch.

The reward he brings will more than make up for any frustrations we have when he drops an occasional pass.  Ebron had the same drop rate last season as he had in his career in Detroit.  He was roasted for it there. But when you're scoring practically every game, no one cares or remembers the drops.

I trust your eye because you're a Buckeye, at least on Parris' front!!! :) 

Percy Harvin had to learn a lot about routes coming out of college as well, Parris seems to be a fast learner, what do you think?

• Like 1

Campbell's ability to run routes isn't something I'm concerned with. He has the physical tools needed (unlike Metcalf, for instance, who I don't think will be able to run more than four or five routes in the NFL, but due to his size and speed might not have to). 

I'm a little concerned about his ability to beat NFL press coverage, but working with Warfield on hand fighting, footwork and balance will help there. Reggie will hopefully get his hands on him also. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

Campbell's ability to run routes isn't something I'm concerned with. He has the physical tools needed (unlike Metcalf, for instance, who I don't think will be able to run more than four or five routes in the NFL, but due to his size and speed might not have to). 

I'm a little concerned about his ability to beat NFL press coverage, but working with Warfield on hand fighting, footwork and balance will help there. Reggie will hopefully get his hands on him also. 

That is why, at least initially, I like him as the Z that plays off the line to keep the TE eligible, so that the CB cannot get an easy jam on him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I trust your eye because you're a Buckeye, at least on Parris' front!!! :) 

Percy Harvin had to learn a lot about routes coming out of college as well, Parris seems to be a fast learner, what do you think?

He's a smart kid who has tons of talent and versatility.  He was a RB/WR in high school and had something like 1500 yards rushing his senior year.  I think he holds or set a few track records.  And Urban thought enough of him to make him a captain.

I'm sure he'll see his share of deep routes but I bet he makes his bones on those bubble screens.  As long as the Oline can play like last year, Luck is going to have a field day.  Speedsters like him, TY, and Hines as well as trees like Funchess, Ebron and Doyle, it's hard to fathom the possibilities.

Like they always say, the best defense is a great offense...or something like that...

• Like 3

21 hours ago, OhioColt said:

I saw a quote on twitter that said he caught 82 percent of his passes his senior  year. 72 percent on third down and was haskins security blanket

On 4/29/2019 at 9:22 PM, Chloe6124 said:

All of these weapons and possibly the BEST OL in the league to give them time to work their magic .....  injuries are the main fear, otherwise lookout NFL!