Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

There’s no Chance Wilkins falls to the Colts

For awhile now Christian Wilkins has been my favorite prospect for the Colts. On and off the field he is a 100% perfect match for us. Early In the draft process it seemed like he may fall to 26, but now it seems like his hype is growing

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-play-prospect--clemson-idl-christian-wilkins

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021874/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-30

Daniel Jeremiah has him as his number 4 overall player. He may even be DT #2 over Oliver. So my question is assuming Wilkins, Williams, and Oliver are all gone by 26, who’s the next best DT fit for the Colts? Personally, I like Renell Wren. He just needs work with his hands .

Yeah, from the insiders I've been reading it seems like Clelin Ferrell is MUCH more likely to drop to us than Wilkins. I had not been doing much study on him besides what I've seen during the season, because I assumed he won't drop, but it seems like there is a realistic chance he does so... I will have to sit down and watch him more critically one of these days..

About the interior linemen - I still think one of Jeffery Simmons or Jerry Tillery should be the pick for us(if they drop). I think both are better than Wren, but you will have to do your homework for both - injury(turns out Tillery tore his labrum at the combine when he was doing the bench press and he had a ) and off-field. Purely football wise, it's very possible I will have both of them in my personal top 10 for this draft. 

• Like 1

I just wonder why you take a guy like Simmons, outstanding talent notwithstanding, knowing he won't play next year, and not knowing how he recovers from that knee injury. For a team that desperately needs its early draft picks to perform now, Simmons doesn't seem like a direction the Colts would go. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

I guess the Colts spoke privately to Dexter Lawrence.  Not sure how I feel about that but he would probably help them.

Lawrence could be there. Great talent. Healthy. But a big question mark because of the failed PED test. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, from the insiders I've been reading it seems like Clelin Ferrell is MUCH more likely to drop to us than Wilkins. I had not been doing much study on him besides what I've seen during the season, because I assumed he won't drop, but it seems like there is a realistic chance he does so... I will have to sit down and watch him more critically one of these days..

About the interior linemen - I still think one of Jeffery Simmons or Jerry Tillery should be the pick for us(if they drop). I think both are better than Wren, but you will have to do your homework for both - injury(turns out Tillery tore his labrum at the combine when he was doing the bench press and he had a ) and off-field. Purely football wise, it's very possible I will have both of them in my personal top 10 for this draft. 

Simmons at 34

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I guess the Colts spoke privately to Dexter Lawrence.  Not sure how I feel about that but he would probably help them.

I like Dexter Lawrence.  As I've posted elsewhere, I think one of the biggest reasons Darius Leonard racked up all those tackles is that he had Al Woods in front of him, keeping him clean of blockers.  Woods is 31 and a free agent.  Lawrence would do the same job, only better.  I would be ok taking him at pick 34.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I just wonder why you take a guy like Simmons, outstanding talent notwithstanding, knowing he won't play next year, and not knowing how he recovers from that knee injury. For a team that desperately needs its early draft picks to perform now, Simmons doesn't seem like a direction the Colts would go. 

How often do you get a chance to take a top-10 talent picking toward the bottom of the first?

I don’t know what Ballard’s board looks like, but maybe all the guys he really likes and covets are gone by 26,  and he doesn’t think Simmons will last to pick 34?   

The NFL doctors will have a report for all teams, and the Indy doctors will have examined that report thoroughly. They’ll have an opinion on Simmons’ long term prognosis.  And so will the other 31 teams.   They’ll go from there.

I can live with Dexter at 34...   but I don’t know why his name gets floated for pick 26?   We need to come away with more pass rush,  and I don’t think we’d get enough from Lawrence.  

Just my my two cents and, as I like to say, often not worth even that much!  :thmup:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

How often do you get a chance to take a top-10 talent picking toward the bottom of the first?

I don’t know what Ballard’s board looks like, but maybe all the guys he really likes and covets are gone by 26,  and he doesn’t think Simmons will last to pick 34?   

The NFL doctors will have a report for all teams, and the Indy doctors will have examined that report thoroughly. They’ll have an opinion on Simmons’ long term prognosis.  And so will the other 31 teams.   They’ll go from there.

I hope we wont have to use 26 on him but if we did I'd accept it I'm hoping for 34 I've picked him at 34 in every mock game thing I play lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I can live with Dexter at 34...   but I don’t know why his name gets floated for pick 26?   We need to come away with more pass rush,  and I don’t think we’d get enough from Lawrence.  

Just my my two cents and, as I like to say, often not worth even that much!  :thmup:

That's a fair point. But if Burns isn't there, and the price is too high to move up for him, which I suspect it would be, who would you speculate would be available at #26 that could give the Colts a pass rush?

13 minutes ago, Hoose said:

That's a fair point. But if Burns isn't there, and the price is too high to move up for him, which I suspect it would be, who would you speculate would be available at #26 that could give the Colts a pass rush?

Well...   I floated the idea of Simmons... and I’d live with not having him on the field until 2020.  I think he’s that good.

But I’ll float another name that won’t be popular here...   Jaylon Ferguson.    Ballard was willing to go small school a year ago with Leonard,  and I think New Orleans was happy they traded up for Marcus Davenport who was not popular in this forum last year.

Just some food for thought... 

Yeah, I've been trying to resign myself to seeing the last of the top IDL talent going before us, if not right before us, ever since we figured out our draft position.

We'll probably have some fans unhappy about our #26 pick, saying we could've waited until #34 for whoever we get.  Unless somebody falls, which in the draft is always possible, just trying not to get my hopes up. I'd personally be fine with Lawrence or Tillery, With Simmons...I'd be very curious to know what Ballard thinks of him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   I floated the idea of Simmons... and I’d live with not having him on the field until 2020.  I think he’s that good.

But I’ll float another name that won’t be popular here...   Jaylon Ferguson.    Ballard was willing to go small school a year ago with Leonard,  and I think New Orleans was happy they traded up for Marcus Davenport who was not popular in this forum last year.

Just looked him up. Was banned by the NFL to attend combine due to a battery his freshman year. Harsh. All time ncaa sack leader. 6'5-262. Sounds very interesting 

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just looked him up. Was banned by the NFL to attend combine due to a battery his freshman year. Harsh. All time ncaa sack leader. 6'5-262. Sounds very interesting 

All time sack leader?    Not that I’m aware of.

As to the incident...   happened in high school when he beat up a girl who had bullied his sister.   So...  payback when he was 17....

Word is, he’s been a model kid ever since...   three years of college and clean..,   I think Ballard, Reich,  and Irsay can sell this to the community.

As for others...  maybe Ballard would prefer Ferguson at 34...   I’d be fine with Tillery or other DT at 26...

My long standing preference is to double dip on the DL at 26 & 34...  I’d prefer DE then DT, but would take them in either order.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

All time sack leader?    Not that I’m aware of.

As to the incident...   happened in high school when he beat up a girl who had bullied his sister.   So...  payback when he was 17....

Word is, he’s been a model kid ever since...   three years of college and clean..,   I think Ballard, Reich,  and Irsay can sell this to the community.

As for others...  maybe Ballard would prefer Ferguson at 34...   I’d be fine with Tillery or other DT at 26...

My long standing preference is to double dip on the DL at 26 & 34...  I’d prefer DE then DT, but would take them in either order.

That was Simmons. The Jaylon Ferguson incident was him getting in a fight at a McDonalds with another teenager. Here's his lawyer's statement after he was disinvited from the combine:

But yah, word is that both of them(Simmons and Ferguson) have been good citizens and students after those incidents. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

That was Simmons. The Jaylon Ferguson incident was him getting in a fight at a McDonalds with another teenager. Here's his lawyer's statement after he was disinvited from the combine:

But yah, word is that both of them(Simmons and Ferguson) have been good citizens and students after those incidents. 

Sorry for the confusion.   I should have been more clear.   I was only addressing Simmons.

Now I understand the comment about Ferguson being the alltime sack leader..   I thought that poster was talking about Simmons.   My bad.

Thanks for straightening that out.   

• Like 2

Fair and accurate or not, there are a few harsh assessments of Ferguson by so called draft pundits who claim his tape reveals he is stiff with little bend and questionable athletic ability. Hard to understand how a guy that prolific as a sack artist could have questions about being an athlete.  Ferguson's pro day is March 19th, so we should soon find out how he measures up. 

Interesting player: I don't see him as a first round guy at this point but his college career was outstanding. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Lawrence could be there. Great talent. Healthy. But a big question mark because of the failed PED test. 

Yeah...just too many questions around Lawrence (failed test, scheme fit, impact)...not the guy I want at #26.

• Like 1

I think Lawrence makes a huge difference to our defense. Keeps Leonard clean and attracts double teams to free up the outside guys. I have this image of him going up against Nelson every day and them making each other better.

Also a big fan of Ferguson as well. He's a pass rusher moulded in the image of our defense. Power and effort to get the job done.

The question marks that excluded them from the combine are minor but may be blessings in disguise if they both fall into our range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I think Lawrence makes a huge difference to our defense. Keeps Leonard clean and attracts double teams to free up the our side guys. I have this image of him going up against Nelson every day and them making each other better.

Also a big fan of Ferguson as well. He's a pass rusher moulded in the image of our defense. Power and effort to get the job done.

The question marks that excluded them from the combine are minor but may be blessings in disguise if they both fall into our range.

I watched Preston Smith's tape and Ferguson's and see pretty much the same guy.
 He would be very useful playing on either side and running stunts.
  Similar to Lewis. Love his arm length and powerful punch.
  Add him and Lawrence and we are going to see a LOT of 2nd and 9's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

I think Lawrence makes a huge difference to our defense. Keeps Leonard clean and attracts double teams to free up the outside guys. I have this image of him going up against Nelson every day and them making each other better.

If we do draft Lawrence, then him and Nelson shouldnt go against each other in practice. The collision between them could cause a mini black hole. For the safety of the team that should be avoided :D.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I like Dexter Lawrence.  As I've posted elsewhere, I think one of the biggest reasons Darius Leonard racked up all those tackles is that he had Al Woods in front of him, keeping him clean of blockers.  Woods is 31 and a free agent.  Lawrence would do the same job, only better.  I would be ok taking him at pick 34.

I actually forgot about Lawrence. The guy is a player for sure. But again, so many question marks.

Is the PED issue an isolated incident?

Is he just a 2 down player?

Piggybacking off of that, what kind of stamina does he have at 342?

Scheme fit?

Can he learn to rush the passer?

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

4 hours ago, stitches said:

This is a very thorough article on Simmons if you want incite to the truth of his situation.  Sounds like he has been incident free since.   That video is pretty bad though. 

https://247sports.com/Article/Jeffery-Simmons-and-the-murky-question-of-second-chances-120993034/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Well we pick 34th also.  Any chance he'd still be there then?  I'd feel better about getting a pass rusher first THEN the space eater.  But as I said no doubt he would help.  I just feel pass rushers are in more demand than guys like Lawrence and Tillery.

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Well we pick 34th also.  Any chance he'd still be there then?  I'd feel better about getting a pass rusher first THEN the space eater.  But as I said no doubt he would help.  I just feel pass rushers are in more demand than guys like Lawrence and Tillery.

Who is the next best space eater in this draft? Is he comparable to the level of Lawrence? I’d assume he is labeled as the DT in our scheme and then you have to ask, if Wilkins is there, he would be the UT we need but who is left as his equal for an UT that might be available at 34? Or if you wanted to look at the DE spot, which player is available at 26 and who is your next player rated at that spot who may reasonably be avail at 34? 

To me it it comes down to who would be the two players best possible to get at 26 and 34 that makes the line better as a whole? Sounds very simple saying it but is it as simple to apply it if a GM has fallen in love with a player and he is there at 26 but most would also feel that same player (or a close equivalent) could be avail at 34 so you have to stay disciplined enough to get two quality players at those spots and not strike out on one of them and have to settle for another lesser needed position. Lots to map out on a draft board no doubt.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Who is the next best space eater in this draft? Is he comparable to the level of Lawrence? I’d assume he is labeled as the DT in our scheme and then you have to ask, if Wilkins is there, he would be the UT we need but who is left as his equal for an UT that might be available at 34? Or if you wanted to look at the DE spot, which player is available at 26 and who is your next player rated at that spot who may reasonably be avail at 34? 

To me it it comes down to who would be the two players best possible to get at 26 and 34 that makes the line better as a whole? Sounds very simple saying it but is it as simple to apply it if a GM has fallen in love with a player and he is there at 26 but most would also feel that same player (or a close equivalent) could be avail at 34 so you have to stay disciplined enough to get two quality players at those spots and not strike out on one of them and have to settle for another lesser needed position. Lots to map out on a draft board no doubt.  

Oh yeah, it would definitely depend on who's left.  No use in reaching for a pass rusher who can't help you and avoiding the best run stuffer in the draft.  I was just thinking IF one is available.  But yeah go best available for sure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

That’s what Tillery does from the interior is rush the passer. He’s not a space eating run stuffer. I’d be very happy to get him with our 1st round pick. The best pass rushing DT in the draft and the potential to be the 3 tech this D needs to be elite 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I dont want him at 26, (Ferguson) but he MAY be considered at 34

He is a strong kid that swatted away second division OTs

When is his pro day?