Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Albert Breer on Cowherd Talking about the Colts

BullsColtsFan1

That was indeed fun to watch,  but he clearly hasn't read our message board!

We're getting close,  but we're not THAT CLOSE --- yet.

We're not just a couple of players away...     we need a lot more.  

Hopefully the 2019 off-season provides us with most of them....

Better days are coming.....     win or lose this week,  better days ARE coming!      :thmup:

:colts:

• Like 4

Great stuff, We need more than just a couple of players to compete for a SB but if we do somehow add another Good Pass Rusher, a Corner that can actually cover with consistency, and a WR that is a pure #2 in the offseason, we will be a Playoff team again for years to come. Having a healthy Andrew Luck is just huge. The AFC is becoming a Conference that is wide open finally too, Pats are on their last leg IMO. 

• Like 5

Thanks, Cowherd for your nice comments but were not fun to watch on defense unless you're rooting for the other team. Were extremely soft on defense and as a huge Colts fan, it's very difficult to watch with my eyes anyway. We are a few players away on offense but on defense were several players away.  

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Better days are coming.....     win or lose this week,  better days ARE coming!      :thmup:

NFC, I'd quibble bit on how many new players we need based on what they were forecasting (which I wasn't too clear on).  If he was talking about us being sb type contenders, I'd agree we need more than just a couple players.  If he's talking about being a regular contender for the playoffs, I think we are almost there now.  Another couple players on d, an edge rusher, I think we're good. The future is so much more fun to look at now!

Offensively, we're nearly set I think. A solid WR2 (who we might have in building if Cain turns into the stud we all think he can be), along with some careful planning for the future as AC and TY hit the other side of 30 is all we really gotta worry about this off season in terms of the offense.

Defensively though, we still need an edge rusher, another piece on the Dline, a starting corner, and perhaps another safety. And that's just starters. Need depth all across the board and it's unrealistic to expect it all in one draft/FA class. 

24 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Offensively, we're nearly set I think. A solid WR2 (who we might have in building if Cain turns into the stud we all think he can be), along with some careful planning for the future as AC and TY hit the other side of 30 is all we really gotta worry about this off season in terms of the offense.

Defensively though, we still need an edge rusher, another piece on the Dline, a starting corner, and perhaps another safety. And that's just starters. Need depth all across the board and it's unrealistic to expect it all in one draft/FA class. 

We need depth on the OL, across the board. And pretty much every receiver outside of TY is replaceable, so even after we plug in a #2, we need a reliable #3 and some depth there as well.

And I'm being gracious with the right side of the line. If Smith continues to play well at RT, I'm fine with penciling him in, but I'm still skeptical about whether he and Glowinski hold up over there. 

I'm also curious what happens at backup QB, but hopefully that doesn't have anything to do with how well the team performs next season.

Appreciate the positive feedback from the Talking Heads. That’s how you know the franchise “truly” is heading in the right direction(us here already knew). A couple more drafts, plus picking up the right guys in FA, will most definitely put us into the playoff talks by the media(the ones that bother to notice, and don’t have an axe to grind). Future looks bright indeed imo. 

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

We need depth on the OL, across the board. And pretty much every receiver outside of TY is replaceable, so even after we plug in a #2, we need a reliable #3 and some depth there as well.

And I'm being gracious with the right side of the line. If Smith continues to play well at RT, I'm fine with penciling him in, but I'm still skeptical about whether he and Glowinski hold up over there. 

I'm also curious what happens at backup QB, but hopefully that doesn't have anything to do with how well the team performs next season.

Inman would be a good number 3. Just need a stud wr to pair with hilton

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Definitely need depth for offense. Personally I think Grant and Rogers are fine as a 3rd and 4th option, but 1) who knows if either is back next year 2) they'll struggle anytime they need to move up (like now). With how good the TEs work in this scheme though, I wonder how much  importance Ballard puts at WR this off season. Still got Ebron and Doyle locked up for another season.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking an Olinemen with a mid round pick every year or so just to build up really good depth, even if we have 5 good starters across the board. And a QB to develop if we end up trading Brissett away. Although that's a lot of resources allocated whilst we still need about half a defense. 

15 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Thanks, Cowherd for your nice comments but were not fun to watch on defense unless you're rooting for the other team. Were extremely soft on defense and as a huge Colts fan, it's very difficult to watch with my eyes anyway. We are a few players away on offense but on defense were several players away.  

IMO, Cowherd adopts his favorites or his dislike for players, QBs, teams, management, etc. early on then constantly talks in a way that validates what he previously said.  I'm sure once Leonard starts receiving his individual praise, Leonard will no longer be able to do much wrong in his eyes.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I disagree.   I think we are just a couple players away.   The offense is fine.  The O-line will be even better next year.    I think we are good at RB.   Good at TE.   Could use a WR, but the O is scoring well now.   Lewis, Leonard and other rookies will be better next season.   If we add just a couple good defenders, we will be good enough to compete in the playoffs next season.

• Like 1

I say 2020 and the Colts are in the AFCCG. I still think this year we're 9-7 as a ceiling. Next year we'll be a contender if we're on as strong a draft as this last years.

Thats about as strong a fan-boy statement I can make.

We're a good offensive team with an obvious building and budding core. We need to stack that, then make the right moves in FA

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Superman said:

Sorry, I think you are taking ths 'depth' thing too far. Getting quality players to start is hard enough, therefore it is wishfull thinking to hope for such a complete roster. It's the coaching that can overcome the gaps, not having Drew Brees backing up Andrew..........if you get my drift.

Just now, braveheartcolt said:

Sorry, I think you are taking ths 'depth' thing too far. Getting quality players to start is hard enough, therefore it is wishfull thinking to hope for such a complete roster. It's the coaching that can overcome the gaps, not having Drew Brees backing up Andrew..........if you get my drift.

I don't really get your drift, especially with the OL. 

First part of the season, the OL play was dreadful. That's mostly because we had barely replacement level guys at both tackle spots. Those are the same guys that would be back in the lineup if a starter gets injured -- Clark, Haeg (who was bad last year, so it's not just about injury), etc. It turns out that the depth this season -- Smith and Glowinski, specifically -- have outperformed the guys that were expected to start, but now there's really nothing behind them, except a couple guys who are very inconsistent and/or often injured.

Depth is super important, especially at OL. Last season, we started five different centers. I don't think the staff should get complacent at OL just because we appear to have a really good starting lineup. All it takes is one injury, and we could come crashing back down to earth again.

And at WR, before we even talk about depth, we need another reliable starter, and someone who can produce out of the slot. 

The Colts have a ton of cap space and some pretty good draft capital. We don't need a bunch of starters on offense, and Ballard isn't going to sign a handful of starters on defense. It makes sense to address the depth, or lack thereof, especially at critical positions like OL. I'm not trying to build a dream team, I just want to have some players who aren't liabilities if they have to replace a starter. I don't think we have that right now.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Definitely need depth for offense. Personally I think Grant and Rogers are fine as a 3rd and 4th option, but 1) who knows if either is back next year 2) they'll struggle anytime they need to move up (like now). With how good the TEs work in this scheme though, I wonder how much  importance Ballard puts at WR this off season. Still got Ebron and Doyle locked up for another season.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking an Olinemen with a mid round pick every year or so just to build up really good depth, even if we have 5 good starters across the board. And a QB to develop if we end up trading Brissett away. Although that's a lot of resources allocated whilst we still need about half a defense. 

Grant and Rogers will do, if necessary, but I'd like an upgrade there. Neither of them are impressive at this point.

And while I am fine with the staff using the TEs heavily, there are some games where you need to go receiver heavy. We don't really have the personnel to do that right now, and we're pretty much fully healthy at receiver. We know what it looks like if Hilton misses time. We don't even have anyone who reliably produced like a #3 when our #1 was missing. Ebron leads the team in catches and yards, and he's not an every down player.

I'm also very eager to get Cain back, but I don't want to rely on him in 2019. First, I don't want him to be rushed. Second, the first year back from an ACL is usually a throwaway year. Third, he'll essentially be a rookie. I'd like to work him in gradually, with an eye on him being a major contributor in 2020.

We have some defensive scheme adjustments to make regardless of personnel...and I trust we will.  At some point we’re simply going to have to include coverage as a functional part of the playbook.  Without that you can add all the good players you want and never become relevant against playoff teams.

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Agreed. 

How great would it be if the Colts got a true #1 WR, making Hilton the #2?

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Agreed. 

How great would it be if the Colts got a true #1 WR, making Hilton the #2?

Hilton is a #1 receiver.  He has proved that in the past. Why do you think the TEs are so successful? It's because of the attention that Hilton draws from the defenses we play.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hilton is a #1 receiver.  He has proved that in the past. Why do you think the TEs are so successful? It's because of the attention that Hilton draws from the defenses we play.

I'm sure he is talking about a number one type that doesn't disappear 10-11 games a season.

And a complete player that can block if needed to support a strong run game.
The kind of guy when you need a first down, that can fight off the line in press and grab the pass with his defender hanging on him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'm sure he is talking about a number one type that doesn't disappear 10-11 games a season.

And a complete player that can block if needed to support a strong run game.
The kind of guy when you need a first down, that can fight off the line in press and grab the pass with his defender hanging on him.

That position is called  tight end on this team. The Colts are in a unique position when it comes to having 3 or 4 TEs that can catch as good as most receivers. With the short schemes that Frank calls not having what you think a #1 receiver is not that big of a deal. Yes all the teams want that type of receiver but when one does come around they are pretty expensive. The way you get one is through the draft. Our two best receivers we have had in Indy were both drafted.

As far as Hilton disappearing 10-11 games a season that is an exaggeration but when you are double teamed most of the time and the change in the offensive scheme you can't point a finger and say it was on Hilton. His presence on the field is what gets our TEs open.

10 hours ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I think we are just a couple players away.   The offense is fine.  The O-line will be even better next year.    I think we are good at RB.   Good at TE.   Could use a WR, but the O is scoring well now.   Lewis, Leonard and other rookies will be better next season.   If we add just a couple good defenders, we will be good enough to compete in the playoffs next season.

I guess it depends on what CC meant?   Making the playoffs,  or making a deep run in the post-season.

If it’s just making the playoffs, then...   maybe, possibly.    But if it’s makibg a deep run then the answer is no.

It’s important to remember that in this winning streak,  we are beating mostly bad teams,  teams with losing records.   Ballard is trying to build a defense that can help beat good teams, playoff caliber teams.   And we’re just not a couple of players away from beating top caliber teams.   We’re many players away...   

So it all depends on what Cowherd meant, and it’s not clear what he thinks we’re close to...

On 11/14/2018 at 4:46 PM, Superman said:

What team has depth on the o-line 'across the board'?

11 minutes ago, wig said:

I'd say not many.  OL play has really fallen off in the NFL in the last 5-10 years IMHO.  Nowadays, if you have 4 good quality starters and just one weak point you are in the upper echelon of the league in that dept.  I think the Colts are headed in the right direction, if not already there.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 5:40 AM, Hoose said:

No playoffs until the D improves. And that won’t happen without a pass rush and an improved secondary. 

Unfortunately, making the playoffs with a bad defense is the hallmark of the franchise.

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Unfortunately, making the playoffs with a bad defense is the hallmark of the franchise.

Not any more. Ballard will build this group. He just hasn’t had enough time. Lewis and Turay are key pieces to the future pass rush. We’ll see how they pan out the rest of the season. The secondary is just not close..... it will take a few solid draft picks and 1-2 FAs. Patience is required here. They’ll get there. 

13 hours ago, wig said:

Why does that matter?

What team has a franchise QB in his prime, $100m in cap space, and no free agents to retain?

But my point was that I don't trust any of our reserve linemen. I'm not saying I think we need five starting caliber OL to sit on the bench. 

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not trying to knock Hilton, but he's not a guy that can consistently defeat press coverage, get physical over the middle, or snag a 50-50 ball in the red zone.  I appreciate him, I want him on my team, he's talented, and he's "our" #1 for the time being, but he's not a prototypical #1 WR.

Also, Hilton is not solely responsible for the success the tight ends are having.  First of all, the Colts have a group of very talented, athletic receiving TEs.  Second, it's the personnel groupings, formations, and offensive scheme in general. 

When you put personnel groupings on the field that force teams to put LBs and safeties on your athletic TEs, that creates fantastic mismatches in our favor.  It doesn't matter if it's Hilton or Grant, you're not going to take a CB off of either of those guys and replace them with a LB.

Sirianni - “As you have other receivers in the game, teams tend to put their defensive backs on those receivers. So that leaves the safeties and linebackers covering your tight ends. I think they’ve just done a phenomenal job of taking advantage of those mismatches, all of them."

• Like 1

There is no such thing as "OL depth".

100% of teams in this league would be totally lost if they lose a starting LT for the season, or a starting Center for the season. Their lines could easily go from great to below-average.

Our depth is better than most teams, comparatively speaking. Clark, Haeg, Good, and Boehm.

Clark performed like an average starter when he played at LT, hardly a 2nd stringer or PS material.

If Brissett has to go in a series I'm not worried. I think we have the best back up in the league. Last year he showed he was tough. He's pretty accurate. Him watching and sitting he should know the offense pretty well. Offense I still think we need RT and push Smith to RG. #1 caliber WR. By the end of the year we will know if Turay and Lewis will be good for years to come or we need pass rushing. We need a corner other teams won't throw to. Besides that I think our interior DL is good for 2 years and finally our LB core is a strength. Safeties I still question but I think corner is needed more.

On 11/15/2018 at 4:14 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I don't get why people (including our fans) do not realize this.  TY gets shadowed every play.  And usually when the defense shadows away from him is when he has a big game.

I think with a reliable running game and another WR to start opposite of him, he would put up some big numbers.  

• Thanks 1