Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rick Venturi on the OL yesterday.

masters1

Venturi made his weekly appearance on JMV's show today and said that yesterdays performance by the Colts OL was the best that he had seen since he moved here in 2013. He really studies the tape and will point out the good and the bad. I thought that was very encouraging.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, masters1 said:

Venturi made his weekly appearance on JMV's show today and said that yesterdays performance by the Colts OL was the best that he had seen since he moved here in 2013. He really studies the tape and will point out the good and the bad. I thought that was very encouraging.

I always repect Venturi's analysis.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

He was 1-31 at Northwestern

He didn't exactly set the world on fire as a D.C. either.  I like Venturi,  but his confidence as a commentator doesn't exactly line up with his coaching career.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He didn't exactly set the world on fire as a D.C. either.  I like Venturi,  but his confidence as a commentator doesn't exactly line up with his coaching career.

Sometimes you have to play the hand you are dealt.  Who knows maybe he got the players to overachieve their actual skill level.

14 minutes ago, BOTT said:

True, but some people perform much better when the results don’t matter. Like being able to pick a winner when not placing a bet.

1 hour ago, IndySouthsider said:

Well hopefully he analyzes better than he coached.

His analyzing is usually pretty  accurate, very well researched, and entertaining. I look forward to his appearances each week.

I find most tv and radio guys unlistenable. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

DD and Dan Dakich, what could go wrong? Constant defense of Grigson, they will fit right in with each other. :) 

What you guys don't realize is that they are one in the same. DougDew(DD...) And Dan Dakich( initials also DD)   haha

• Like 2

8 hours ago, coltsva said:

His analyzing is usually pretty  accurate, very well researched, and entertaining. I look forward to his appearances each week.

I find most tv and radio guys unlistenable. 

For the most part, I enjoy his breakdowns. The only thing I don’t care for is; “I said this weeks ago”. I guess he’s giving credibility to his knowledge but I never liked that self-promotion. At times, JMV will say the same thing.

Analysis?  Defense?  LOL.  If Fake Narratives help y'all not feel embarrassed, by all means carry on.

So let me see.  3 first rounders, a second rounder, and a veteran fourth rounder has played better at any time the Colts have had less basic talent than that.  Or about since 2013.  Go figure.

Thank Polian.  Thank Grigson. Thank Ballard .   (oh wait, since I actually said thanks to Grigson and didn't pile on the mindless feeding frenzy hate train, I must be defending him)

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Analysis?  Defense?  LOL.  If Fake Narratives help y'all not feel embarrassed, by all means carry on.

So let me see.  3 first rounders, a second rounder, and a veteran fourth rounder has played better at any time the Colts have had less basic talent than that.  Or about since 2013.  Go figure.

Thank Polian.  Thank Grigson. Thank Ballard .   (oh wait, since I actually said thanks to Grigson and didn't pile on the mindless feeding frenzy hate train, I must be defending him)

Incoherent babbling 

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Incoherent babbling 

Incoherent comprehension.

Our Oline has the collection of highest round draft choices it has had in a long time, maybe ever.  

This just in:  If you devote more high draft choices to one unit over the others, that one unit will tend to play better than the others who don't.  WRs for example.  

I'm not sure what's going on at S.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This just in:  If you devote more high draft choices to one unit over the others, that one unit will tend to play better than the others who don't.  WRs for example.  

5dJo.gif

Jeff Saturday was the best Center the Colts ever had and he was UDFA. Oh, and another guy named Adam Vinatieri would also like a word with you. 

Mike Mitchell is doing a great job at Safety btw. 

Venturi is a great "after the fact" coach, which in reality is just fine and great for Radio/TV/Colts.com here locally. His record says he's not a great head coach, but his longevity in the business says he's at a minimum competent at what his job was throughout. I just wouldnt completely trust him to put together a complete game plan for the entire team as a HC.

33 minutes ago, Ratking said:

According to Wikipedia Rick's record is:

1–31–1 (College)
2–17 (NFL) 

Not sure how sharp of an eye he really has for football. 

hes an x and o nerd, but not a great leader.  team was a mess then too, i dont think any coach would have won 

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

5dJo.gif

Jeff Saturday was the best Center the Colts ever had and he was UDFA. Oh, and another guy named Adam Vinatieri would also like a word with you. 

Mike Mitchell is doing a great job at Safety btw. 

Agreed, which is why I said tend.

1 hour ago, TheMarine said:

Venturi is a great "after the fact" coach, which in reality is just fine and great for Radio/TV/Colts.com here locally. His record says he's not a great head coach, but his longevity in the business says he's at a minimum competent at what his job was throughout. I just wouldnt completely trust him to put together a complete game plan for the entire team as a HC.

Well since he is not a coach, you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Incoherent comprehension.

Our Oline has the collection of highest round draft choices it has had in a long time, maybe ever.  

This just in: You build a solid team in the trenches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

This just in: You build a solid team in the trenches.

Not necessarily devoting first round picks to all trench positions or else it will take you 9 years.  4.5 years if you include 2nd rounders.

A few more catches by WRs and having a vet like Frank Gore at RB and we may have won a couple of more games, provided AC was starting all year.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Gosder Cherilus was a first round pick.  Satele was a second rounder.  Hugh Thornton was a third.    How good were they in Indy?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Gosder Cherilus was a first round pick.  Satele was a second rounder.  Hugh Thornton was a third.    How good were they in Indy?

Not terrible, since we went to the playoffs under the Chud 10 second release O scheme, but two of those three were chronically injured. 

The first round bust percentage is about 42%, I assume it gets larger the farther you move down the draft.  

If you advocated upgrading the oline this past spring by passing on players in the 1st and 2nd round and finding gems in the 4th and beyond, I missed it.

Just now, DougDew said:

Not terrible, since we went 11-5 under the Arians 10 second release O scheme, but two of those three were chronically injured. 

The first round bust percentage is about 42%, I assume it gets larger the farther you move down the draft.  

If you advocated upgrading the oline this past spring by passing on players in the 1st and 2nd round and finding gems in the 4th and beyond, I missed it.

My point is,   just because they are high draft picks or heavily paid free agents doesn't mean they are better than guys drafted later.   

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

My point is,   just because they are high draft picks or heavily paid free agents doesn't mean they are better than guys drafted later.   

Which is why I said the word "tend" about 5000 keystrokes ago.  Maybe I said that in the other thread. 

The best players and coaches don't always make the best analysts/commentators.  Plenty of HOFers who are cringeworthy analysts.  

Venturi - great player or coach?  Maybe not, but he has his finger on the pulse of this team.  I would choose to listen to him discuss the Colts over practically anyone out there.

Louis Riddick - great player?  No.  Great in the front office?  Apparently not.  Again, he's better than most of the commentators on TV.

• Like 1

I'm not very impressed with Venturi. I listen online because he talks on depth about the Colts, and basically no one else does. But he's hard to listen to, and his stuff is so rudimentary. The longer I've listened, the more obvious it is that he repeats the same basic stuff over and over again. 

His idea of a passing game plan is to figure out who the best corner is, then don't throw at that guy. Put Hilton in the slot so he can't get jammed, and work him on the weak side of the formation. Etc. Basic stuff that doesn't really acknowledge how difficult it is to actually gameplan in the NFL, or execute that gameplan. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Superman said:

His idea of a passing game plan is to figure out who the best corner is, then don't throw at that guy. Put Hilton in the slot so he can't get jammed, and work him on the weak side of the formation. Etc. Basic stuff that doesn't really acknowledge how difficult it is to actually gameplan in the NFL, or execute that gameplan. 

Honestly, do you know anyone in the media, who knows more (or if he knows, does tell it)? I'm curious, because I listen/read many guys, local and national, from Venturi to Lombardi, from NFL com to ESPN, stampede, coltswire, bleacherreport, ringer, whoever, whatever, etc, etc., but I hardly find any proper, in depth analyzis anywhere. Sometimes Chris Simms (Simms and Lefkoe podcast) talks a little bit about schemes, concepts, explains what he saw on films from this team or the other, but it's maybe 5% of the time. The remaining 95% is the same "Drew Brees is darn good, Blake Bortles is horrible" stuff. You have to dig really hard to find something you can learn from...

1 hour ago, TheMarine said:

Recall last year when some people were clamoring for Venturi to be our next head coach? Thus the last sentence

No I don't recall that.  I suppose it's possible - this is the internet where the clinically clueless have a platform.  But I have a hard time believing anyone said that with any level of seriousness.