Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts contacted Raiders about Cooper

Case

makes sense, we have a need at WR and they are shopping one, though it wont be easy coming to terms.

our picks could be in the top 5, so a first or second is probably too much for a guy due 14 mil or so next year if we want to keep him from free agency 

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

makes sense, we have a need at WR and they are shopping one, though it wont be easy coming to terms.

our picks could be in the top 5, so a fist or second is probably too much for a guy due 14 mil or so next year if we want to keep him from free agency 

Yeah, I don't believe the Colts could even work a contract with him, because he's (Cooper)  still on his rookie contract. Therefore giving up a high draft pick makes things a bit complicated. Please, correct if I'm wrong about reworking a contract.

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Yeah, I don't believe the Colts could even work a contract with him, because he's (Cooper)  still on his rookie contract. Therefore giving up a high draft pick makes things a bit complicated. Please, correct if I'm wrong about reworking a contract.

Haha. Oh yes you are wrong.
He isn't talking about reworkin a contract. That 5th year is set in stone.
He is saying, IMO, it would be hard to come to terms on compensation with a draft pick.

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Haha. Oh yes you are wrong.
He isn't talking about reworkin a contract. That 5th year is set in stone.
He is saying, IMO, it would be hard to come to terms on compensation with a draft pick.

Yeah, I assumed even if a trade was made, the Colts could not renegotiate any deal until after the 5th year option. I don't think, I'd want the Colts  to give up more than a 3rd being the case.

14 minutes ago, MPStack said:

you may be right, im not sure how an extension would work here

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Cowboys, Colts, it's kind of similar, I suppose.

“The Cowboys are not alone; the Raiders have heard inquiries on Cooper from, among others, the Washington Redskins and Indianapolis Colts, according to a league source”

I thought the same thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

you may be right, im not sure how an extension would work here

Lots a variables to consider. Giving a high draft pick for starters and he doesn't perform well. Secondly, he plays very well and you risk losing him or have to use franchise tag. Personally, I like to sign him, but much for Ballard to consider, if the Colts are interested. 

4 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

Not seeing this move taking place.  Ballard didn't sign any prime free agents before the season don't see anything taking place now!!!!  

It's a trade, not a signing. That said, I don't see it either, especially if it'd involve a bidding war with Dallas

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Hakeem Nicks, Darius Heyward-Bey, Kamar Aiken, and now Ryan Grant...

We’ve had enough underwhelming additions at WR. No more right now, thank you. 

lol don't forget Andre Johnson. I understand your pain but Cooper is a way better wr than any of those guys you mentioned. It makes a lot of sense but i don't see Ballard making a move like that.

• Like 1

For me it's time to bring in a WR that is capable to TY.  Some on here even say he is not a number type WR.  I beg to differ on that but, teams game plan to slow him down and it's like well with your number  2 WR show me what you got type deal.  Peyton had like 2 number one's if that make sense.  Time for Luck to have the same deal.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Says cowboys?

“The Cowboys are not alone; the Raiders have heard inquiries on Cooper from, among others, the Washington Redskins and Indianapolis Colts, according to a league source.

But of all the teams that need wide receivers, the most intriguing is Dallas, and it would not be the first time that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has dealt for a receiver before the league's trade deadline.”

• Thanks 1

Easily worth one of our 2nd. rounders.  Already a two time pro bowler at age 24.  Now playing for a QB who is regressing in Oakland.  With Luck look out!  Not surprised to see we are talking to Oakland.  I think Ballard is going to make at least one trade by the deadline and I think a trade for Cooper has a great chance of happening.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Easily worth one of our 2nd. rounders.  Already a two time pro bowler at age 24.  Now playing for a QB who is regressing in Oakland.  With Luck look out!  Not surprised to see we are talking to Oakland.  I think Ballard is going to make at least one trade by the deadline and I think a trade for Cooper has a great chance of happening.

I like the optimism...and I would be all for rolling the dice here. You get good young talent when it becomes available...not when it's convenient. (And after that Cooper trade is done...I would get AZ on the phone and snap Reddick for a 5th round pick.)

But I don't see it happening unfortunately. Not sure if Ballard is ready to punt on Grant yet...and I don't think Ballard is about to turn over one of his 2nd round picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I am pretty sure they could just negotiate an extension with him now that he's accrued three years.

30 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

“The Cowboys are not alone; the Raiders have heard inquiries on Cooper from, among others, the Washington Redskins and Indianapolis Colts, according to a league source.

But of all the teams that need wide receivers, the most intriguing is Dallas, and it would not be the first time that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has dealt for a receiver before the league's trade deadline.”

Thank you, was tonlazt to hit link lol

15 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I like the optimism...and I would be all for rolling the dice here. You get good young talent when it becomes available...not when it's convenient. (And after that Cooper trade is done...I would get AZ on the phone and snap Reddick for a 5th round pick.)

But I don't see it happening unfortunately. Not sure if Ballard is ready to punt on Grant yet...and I don't think Ballard is about to turn over one of his 2nd round picks.

I like the idea of getting Reddick for a 5th. as well.  He has the potential to be a Jerry Hughes for us but in reverse.  We win this time. 

I would trade them a conditional 4th round (understanding it’s a mid round at best pick right now. I’d also add in either grant or even Fountain and then make it a conditional 3rd round assuming we hit certain marks either with the team or/and his production. He has talent no doubt but he hasn’t shown it over the past 2 years and he will come with a cap hit for next year assuming that 5th year is picked up. More gamble for the team taking him than the Raiders imo, they’ve already decided he isn’t in their plans.