Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts contacted Raiders about Cooper

Case

20 hours ago, Superman said:

And you alone, right?

Come on. Everyone knows how good Josh Gordon is, you aren't telling anyone anything they don't already know. The reasons people didn't want him had nothing to do with his talent. 

And swinging for the fences over and over is fun to talk about, but building and sustaining a quality roster is about more than just adding talented players at flashy positions. 

gordon is a good teammate, and for the price the patriots paid it was a  low risk pick up. yes im salty the colts didnt make a move when we had higher picks than the patirots and a need at the position 

a lot of people thought he could mess up the locker room, but when i watched him in Cleveland his teammates seemed to love him.  hell the bench cleared to celebrate with him after his TD in the steelers game.  hes not a diva, makes minimal salary and only cost the patriots a conditional 5th round pick 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

It’s really hard to find a good starting receiver in the draft. I believe the chances of Cooper becoming a stud is better than rolling the dice on a 4th round receiver in the upcoming draft

Bringing in Cooper could be a huge move for us. I would offer a 4th round pick. We would have a year and a half to evaluate him. If he is the worth the money then we pay him, else we let him go.

Surely the vast majority of WR's are plucked from the draft, including all the great ones. Or is there a secret WR's warehouse?

• Like 3

Such a high price to pay that we obviously would not have paid.

I do wonder who the team was that offered a "high second rounder" for Cooper that the Raiders turned down when sticking to their 1st Round price tag.

I saw Breer report that and La Canfora too.

I wonder if it was Cleveland. I would like to hope that it was not the Colts since even a high second rounder for Cooper seems steep to me.

That said, if someone did truly offer what would likely be a high 2nd for Cooper, then Dallas basically didn't "overpay" necessarily in that they gave up what they actually had to market-wise to get him.

But that is a crazy market if so.

22 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I do wonder who the team was that offered a "high second rounder" for Cooper that the Raiders turned down when sticking to their 1st Round price tag.

I wonder if it was Cleveland. I would like to hope that it was not the Colts since even a high second rounder for Cooper seems steep to me.

That said, if someone did truly offer what would likely be a high 2nd for Cooper, then Dallas basically didn't "overpay" necessarily in that they gave up what they actually had to market-wise to get him.

Co-signed.

I'm glad we were outbid.  I'm not sure what Gruden is doing over there, and I'm not sure how Amari Cooper is supposed to all of the sudden make the Cowboys passing attack go from among the league's worst passing attack to soemthing that's actually watchable.  He wasn't even the leading receiver on his own team, and also behind the Jared Cook.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

So now the raiders have 3 additional 1st round picks, and will likely move more guys. 

And that’s good because we play them next week so now stopping the pass will be much easier

Marshawn Lynch is out for a month as well. It’ll be interesting to see how they move the ball.

26 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

It was Philly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Marshawn Lynch is out for a month as well. It’ll be interesting to see how they move the ball.

It was Philly.

With all the whispers that Philly is seeking a WR, I would not doubt that one bit. I just would not consider Philly's draft spot to be a "high" part of the second round. Normally when I hear that I think of a team at least expected to be picking in the top-10 or so.

I know Philly's record right now would put them around the top 10 or so. But I don't think many people believe they'd finish there or even out of the playoffs.

Either way, I wonder if we will hear more reports on this and other inquires that never come to pass as this crazy trade deadline season ramps up now.

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Surely the vast majority of WR's are plucked from the draft, including all the great ones. Or is there a secret WR's warehouse?

Not sure why you need to be snide.

You might try using a little common sense. 

Look at the success rate of wide receivers drafted in the first couple of rounds over the past decade or so. A lot of receivers on 53 man rosters went undrafted. 

You’re so brave with you comments! Stay cooler than everyone else. :sip:

• Like 1

All it takes is one team to make a deal when there is a bidding war going on.  It's been reported the Eagles offered a 2nd. and I would bet we did as well.  Although Ballard has done a good job of keeping offers from leaking.   Jerry went for it just like the Bears did for Mack.  Maybe Ballard will try to get the disgruntled DeVante Parker from the Dolphins.  He would be an upgrade over any WR we have other than TY.   I still think Ballard is going to make a trade or two.  Our division is well within reach with our current roster and maybe an addition or two.  Still a lot of time till the deadline.  I'm expecting a lot more deals from around the league.  Maybe this is the time he moves Brissett and we bring up Walker from the PS. 

27 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Not sure why you need to be snide.

You might try using a little common sense. 

Look at the success rate of wide receivers drafted in the first couple of rounds over the past decade or so. A lot of receivers on 53 man rosters went undrafted. 

You’re so brave with you comments! Stay cooler than everyone else. :sip:

Dry your eyes. And thanks for the personal message. Classy. And very very brave. Don't expect a  response. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Great deal for Gruden. 

I honestly didn't think they'd be able to acquire a first , but Jerry does it again. As it stands, that pick is 9th overall.

I'd be surprised if it ends up being outside of the top 15. 

Does Oakland have 3 first round picks next year, at this point?

3 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Does Oakland have 3 first round picks next year, at this point?

Yep. And quite likely in all probability, top 15 or better pics.

Just now, Trueman said:

Yep. 4th, 9th, 15th overall as of today. 

They just better hope that it's not a 2013 epically bad draft class. LOL.

1 minute ago, Trueman said:

Yep. 4th, 9th, 15th overall as of today. 

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, that is either a lot of draft capital to move up or they can really get several good defensive players in next year's draft.

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Hah , no kidding. I'm no professional scout , but from what I've been reading/watching it's not. 

Just now, Cynjin said:

Well, that is either a lot of draft capital to move up or they can really get several good defensive players in next year's draft.

Yep. They're gunna have tons of options available to them. You can bet they're going to draft a pass-rusher with one of those picks. 

Their 2015-2017 drafts have given them next to nothing , so I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade down with one of those 1st's and accumulate more picks. 

If I were Gruden , I wouldn't stop at Cooper. I'd have almost anyone on that roster available. 

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Having 2 picks in the top-10 of this upcoming draft could work out well for the Raiders. This could arguably be one of the best DL classes ever.  Who knows what Gruden has in mind but if he wanted to solidify his lines, he's got a great draft capital to make it happen. 

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

A two time 24 yr. old pro bowler suddenly loses it all by himself.   Sorry,  But I don't buy that logic. 

So what? Pro bowl is a populatity contest, not a quality contest.

Forget that he was a first round pick for a moment, and let me cite a few statistics from Cooper. You might be able to put him where he belongs by these numbers, not his pro bowls or draft status:

In his 3.5 years NFL carreer, Cooper had 2 thousands year seasons. Thats the good part. However, he lead the league in drops in 2 of his 3.5 years. So, when he catches 70-80 balls for 1000 yards, he drops the ball 15 times as well. Next. In his 3.5 years carreer, he has 19TD-s total. That is just a bit over 5 TD-s per season. Every year there was someone in his team, who catched more yards / TD-s than him. (Usually it was Crabtree). He NEVER was the #1 receiver for his team, he was always the #2 at best. Sometimes the #3. In targets, in RZ targets, in first downs made, in 3rd down targets, etc.

What he does fine is he is fast, and can separate in deeper routes. The Colts already has such a guy, who can also separare, but in addition to that, runs better routes, and has better hands. He is T.Y. Hilton. I don't think the Colts need another guy with similar, but lesser traits. (What we need is a big, athletic possession receiver, who is good in the RZ, and great at cathing contested balls. Cooper is everything but not that.)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Great deal for Gruden. 

I honestly didn't think they'd be able to acquire a first , but Jerry does it again. As it stands, that pick is 9th overall.

I'd be surprised if it ends up being outside of the top 15. 

DAL is going to win that division.

The amount of shade being thrown on Cooper is surprising. OAK would inexplicably go entire games without targeting him. And Carr has regressed significantly. I bet Cooper is happy to get out of there.

Of course Dak isn’t much to be excited about. But at least he will be part of the game plan each week. 

I wouldn’t have traded a 1 for him...but I can understand why DAL would. 

4 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

With all the whispers that Philly is seeking a WR, I would not doubt that one bit. I just would not consider Philly's draft spot to be a "high" part of the second round. Normally when I hear that I think of a team at least expected to be picking in the top-10 or so.

I know Philly's record right now would put them around the top 10 or so. But I don't think many people believe they'd finish there or even out of the playoffs.

Either way, I wonder if we will hear more reports on this and other inquires that never come to pass as this crazy trade deadline season ramps up now.

• Like 1