Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tarrell Basham Waived

Alex22

It was a warranted move for sure, but at the same time if we intend to build through the draft the way we say this stuff has to stop. Banner, a 4th, didn’t even make the roster last year. 

And yeah, cutting a 4th rounder isn’t the end of the world, but building though the draft means we’re getting quality contributors more often than not. 

No more Banners or Bashams. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

This year was the first year Ballard was in charge of scouting AND drafting. 

Every pick that didn't get hurt is contributing except Fountain. 

His second round "reach" leads the NFL in tackles. 

C'mon man.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Savage21 said:

Wilson needs to be next.

IDK.  His injuries give him an excuse...for now.  He played well when he was healthy.  You don't cut a CB because he can't cover or make plays on a ball when your main hand is wrapped up in a club.  That logic would have a T.Y. cut because he plays slow with a Hammy.....

Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So Ballard's bad picks are because others influenced him to pick them?

So maybe picking Darious Leanord was because of someone else too?

Lol.

If it was Bad, it was someone else, not Ballard. He only makes the good choices....sarcasm/.

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So Ballard's bad picks are because others influenced him to pick them?

So maybe picking Darious Leanord was because of someone else too?

Lol.

Point is, last year Ballard pretty much had to roll with most of the holdover staff.  It was after that draft that he then cleaned house bringing in his own people, as it were.  Ergo, the draft prep was pretty much all done by holdover staff from Grigs. This year, however, it was all Ballard’s people. That’s my understanding of how things transpired. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Point is, last year Ballard pretty much had to roll with most of the holdover staff.  It was after that draft that he then cleaned house bringing in his own people, as it were.  Ergo, the draft prep was pretty much all done by holdover staff from Grigs. This year, however, it was all Ballard’s People. That’s my understanding of how things transpired. 

Pretty much.  The coach wasn't his coach.  The offensive and defensive systems weren't his systems.  The front office wasn't his front office.  The scouting department wasn't his scouting department.

It's not surprising the second draft looks much better than the first.

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

Hooker was the only good pick in last year’s draft. Mack and Hairston were decent, but hardly the “gems” everyone on here makes them out to be

Both Mack and Hairston were solid picks. Mack when healthy is a nice playmaking RB, Hairston has been rock solid.

As for this thread, I'm very surprised by the move. I wish we could've kept Simon and had Basham on the practice squad...

4 hours ago, Fat Clemenza said:

This year was the first year Ballard was in charge of scouting AND drafting. 

Every pick that didn't get hurt is contributing except Fountain. 

His second round "reach" leads the NFL in tackles. 

C'mon man.

Oh. Right.

He wasn’t part of an outstanding personnel department somewhere else that had done any kind of scouting of those guys before coming here. 

Sorry, I forgot his first day here’s was his first day in the league. 

I love Ballard but geeze Banner is gone Basham is gone and wilson keeps suffering injuries, not saying it's a bad draft class because we got walker, hairston, hooker and stewart (which i love all three of those guys). It looks like we're just getting 2 players that will be on the team next year in that draft.

four

8 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Point is, last year Ballard pretty much had to roll with most of the holdover staff.  It was after that draft that he then cleaned house bringing in his own people, as it were.  Ergo, the draft prep was pretty much all done by holdover staff from Grigs. This year, however, it was all Ballard’s people. That’s my understanding of how things transpired. 

People have different levels of expertise.  Personally, I wouldn't want staffers hired to build a 34 to then be asked to scout Tampa 2 players.  No, they are not interchangeable, IMO.

You bring in Elberfus to coach a Tampa 2, and you don't ask Pagano to do it.  Same approach with scouts.

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Oh. Right.

He wasn’t part of an outstanding personnel department somewhere else that had done any kind of scouting of those guys before coming here. 

Sorry, I forgot his first day here’s was his first day in the league. 

Pretty much sure Ballard was seeking for different needs and schemes when in KC...

9 hours ago, John Waylon said:

It was a warranted move for sure, but at the same time if we intend to build through the draft the way we say this stuff has to stop. Banner, a 4th, didn’t even make the roster last year. 

And yeah, cutting a 4th rounder isn’t the end of the world, but building though the draft means we’re getting quality contributors more often than not. 

Here is the deal - it is a matter of time before the Round 2 pick Quincy Wilson joins them. 

2017 draft is shaping up like: Hooker (still needs to show more), Wilson (in the doghouse), Basham (gone), Banner (gone), Mack (less available than we'd like), Grover Stewart (nice find for the rotation), Hairston (exceeded expectations), Anthony Walker Jr. (getting productive as we speak). 

We normally like to roast Grigson over the coals, but Ballard's 2017 draft is not looking so rosy to me so far with the first 4 picks. The 2018 draft, which was more geared towards Eberflus' and Reich's system, seems to be more productive than the 2017 one. Logically, it does help you extrapolate that Ballard gets players for coaches' system fits unless the value/talent available is exceptional and system independent, which happens mostly in round 1. Along those lines, maybe we can cut Ballard some slack for the 2017 draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Here is the deal - it is a matter of time before the Round 2 pick Quincy Wilson joins them. 

2017 draft is shaping up like: Hooker (still needs to show more), Wilson (in the doghouse), Basham (gone), Banner (gone), Mack (less available than we'd like), Grover Stewart (nice find for the rotation), Hairston (exceeded expectations), Anthony Walker Jr. (getting productive as we speak). 

We normally like to roast Grigson over the coals, but Ballard's 2017 draft is not looking so rosy to me so far. 

You’re absolutely right. 

Which should give at least a slight twinge of concern since he wants to build through the draft. 

This years class looks better, though. 

27 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

So then he’s drafting guys sight unseen?

You’re not making a good case for him either way here. 

2017 Draft.

KC: 1 - QB, 2 - DE, 3 - RB, 4 - WR, 5 - LB, 6 - S.

IND: 1 - S, 2 - CB, 3 - DE, 4 - OT, 4 - RB, 4 - DT, 5 - LB, 5 - CB.

So KC was looking for RB in Rd 3-4, for LB in Rd 5, for DB in Rd 5-6. Mack (Rd 4) is good, Walker (Rd 5) is good, Hairston (Rd 5) is good. Profile of Hairston shows his ability to play S (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nate-hairston?id=2558108). Mack and Hunt were rated pretty equal, same were Walker and Eligwe.

So, Ballard nailed picks, he prepared to make for Chiefs! Hooker was a steal, projected to be top-5 pick, and filled a need.

With Dee Ford, Justin Houston and Tamba Hali Ballard didn't prepare to draft 3-4 OLB/ 4-3 DE for Chiefs that high. With Marcus Peters, Steven Nelson and Phillip Gaines Ballard didn't prepare to draft CB for Chiefs that high. So he relied on previuos staff's opinion.

7 hours ago, colt18 said:

Both Mack and Hairston were solid picks. Mack when healthy is a nice playmaking RB, Hairston has been rock solid.

As for this thread, I'm very surprised by the move. I wish we could've kept Simon and had Basham on the practice squad...

Basham can go on the practice squad is not picked up

• Like 1

For those that whine about swinging and missing on this pick - will you give him credit for picking up a Muhammad or a Phillips (for nothing) as a replacement?

Will you give him credit for cutting bait with his own draft pick? He cut Banner last year before camp closed, true story - however that was his line coaches draft darling (plenty of press last year about that) and guess what, that line coach (Philbin) did not even try to sign him this year because he knew he made a mistake.

The draft is a crap shoot and he has many more hits than misses!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would help if people had realistic expectations when it comes to the draft. The biggest problems from the 17 draft is injury.  If Hooker and Mack can stay healthy and become the players I believe they are capable of being and walker becomes a solid starter that's a pretty good draft.

• Like 1

Are we sure Ballard was cutting bait with Bashem? He has been pretty aggressive with the cut/waive re-sign to practice squad move to active squad talent at the bottom of the roster, Swoope probably being the best example of that.....Now I am not defending Bashem, something was off about him as he just faded into the wall paper at some point this year, but I haven't seen or heard anything to indicate he was "cutting bait" with him, it could have just been an attempted bottom of the roster shuffle for a particular game, and the Jets swooped in (no pun intended) .....In fact I almost hope it was a cut bait situation, otherwise our GM just got burned being overly aggressive and cute with his roster manipulation.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:12 AM, John Waylon said:

How would you draft for an unforeseen scheme? How do you know exactly what players will fit your future scheme? Ballard didn’t know what scheme it would be. If pagano proves himself to Ballard then all of a sudden these picks might fit a little bit better. Or not. No one will know. But you can’t just say they were a miss completely based off of failure here. Banner yes. But this is only year 2 for Basham and he just signed with the jets. 

On 10/5/2018 at 12:12 AM, John Waylon said:

And don't forget Reece Fountain, our 5th round pick from the 2018 draft.