Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade LB Antonio Morrison to Packers for CB Lenzy Pipkins (Merge)

Boiler_Colt

Better than cutting him and getting nothing. I honestly don't know anything about Pipkins but I imagine he was in the same boat as Morrison as far as roster status goes. I have to admit Morrison was one of only a few Colts draft picks in the Grigson era that I actually liked that didn't pan out. I really liked him coming out of UF and thought his game was going to translate well in the NFL. Well, it hasn't and now his NFL career clock looks to be winding down quickly.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Better than cutting him and getting nothing. I honestly don't know anything about Pipkins but I imagine he was in the same boat as Morrison as far as roster status goes. I have to admit Morrison was one of only a few Colts draft picks in the Grigson era that I actually liked that didn't pan out. I really liked him coming out of UF and thought his game was going to translate well in the NFL. Well, it hasn't and now his NFL career clock looks to be winding down quickly.

Just a question but what exactly of his game did you think would translate well? He was bad at angles and slow in college also... He also had Gap tendencies that followed him to the pros also.

Packers fans thoughts on Pipkins:

Pipkins is a depth CB with some potential. On a team with a decent set of corners I’d expect him to get spot work at CB 3 and hopefully develop into a mediocre full time CB 3 by next year. There are worse guys to have to jam into the game if you’re short at CB.

You're getting some solid depth in Pipkins, but I wouldn't want him starting unless absolutely necessary. He's still pretty rough around the edges and has a tendency to get too handsy in coverage, but he was forced into a starting role at the end of last season and performed admirably for an UDFA.

• Like 1

I’ve been a packer fan since birth (born in Milwaukee) so I watch all of the packers games and Lenzy actually played decent towards the end of the season as mentioned in the tweet above. Packers drafted 2 good corners this year so he was getting cut regardless. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

I’ve been a packer fan since birth (born in Milwaukee) so I watch all of the packers games and Lenzy actually played decent towards the end of the season as mentioned in the tweet above. Packers drafted 2 good corners this year so he was getting cut regardless. 

Good to know.  If you also watch the Colts, do you think Morrison has a shot with the Pack.  

I would have been surprised if he made our team.  

Morrison  is a good linebacker vrs the run.  especially up the middle.  When he tackles you know they are going down.  Sadly, with the 4-3 we need speed, and Morrison just did not have enough and Ballard knew it so glad he at least got something from him rather than cutting him.

• Like 1

Morrison was definitely going to be cut. This is a good way to try and get something for him. This trade means another Grigson draft pick is gone Of the team. Now only Geathers, Clark, Haeg, Green, and Kelly remain. And only one of those guys has a guaranteed roster spot.

6 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I’d say Pipkins will make our team, otherwise why trade for him? Surely Ballard likes something about him and thinks he has shot.

I don’t know enough about him to say, but it could be because Wilson and Hairston are banged up and he needs a body for Thursday.  

I doubt Morrison was making the team so Ballard got a free kick the tires guy.  I hope he balls out, we need depth everywhere. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Good to know.  If you also watch the Colts, do you think Morrison has a shot with the Pack.  

I would have been surprised if he made our team.  

Only really one ILB that I feel confident in on the packers and that’s Blake Martinez. But Ahmad Thomas has been decent  in camp. So I think Morrison is a  lock to make the team. ILB is a big time position of need

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Just a question but what exactly of his game did you think would translate well? He was bad at angles and slow in college also... He also had Gap tendencies that followed him to the pros also.

In college I thought he has an excellent run stuffing MLB. Although he wasn't fast(MIKES usually aren't the fastest), he showed me enough quickness, play recognition and tackling skills. Not that I thought he was going to be an All-Pro but I thought he would be a solid addition to the club. I didn't think his gap tendencies were that bad in college but they were exposed in the league. His play recognition wasn't as good as I thought it was. I'm not wrong on a lot of prospects but I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong on Morrison. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Just visited some Packer's sites, they are confused why we traded our best linebacker from last year 

thats not saying much at all, and we changed to a scheme he doesnt fit

someone should clue them in 

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Morrison was definitely going to be cut. This is a good way to try and get something for him. This trade means another Grigson draft pick is gone Of the team. Now only Geathers, Clark, Haeg, Green, and Kelly remain. And only one of those guys has a guaranteed roster spot.

And Luck, And TY

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats not saying much at all, and we changed to a scheme he doesnt fit

someone should clue them in 

I explained the scheme change thing to them,...and the 'can't knock a pass down if he had a badmitten net' thing also.  But did explain he sure as heck can tackle...inside the tackles he's tough as nails.

This is a win-win trade for both teams. The Packers get a thumper for the middle of thier 3-4 and we get a young, long, talented corner to add to the mix at DB! The bonus is both teams probably scouted each player and made the trade to get thier man prior to cutdown day AND they get an extra week of practice in the new systems...

Perhaps this new corner is a better fit in our zone coverages....?

He has ST's experience as well, which was Miltons only saving grace the last couple of years.

Plus this quote sums it up: "The Green Bay Packers brought back Pro Bowler Tramon Williams, re-signed Davon House and took Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson in the first two rounds of the draft, but don’t forget about an intriguing second-year cornerback when the team opens training camp later this month."

Just because he was likely a 1 September casualty I can see why he was fighting an uphill battle.....adding a Pro Bowler and arguably the 2 best corners in the draft pushes a talented player down to 4th or 5th on the depth chart.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Btown_Colt said:

I like it. The corner might not make the team, or might only be depth, but Morrrison wasn’t going to make the team either so might as well try something. 

Ya and we are thin in the secondary right now and some of those guys that played yesterday were terrible. Thought we gave up way too many big plays yesterday so why not try something Morrison is awful in coverage anyway.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Just visited some Packer's sites, they are confused why we traded our best linebacker from last year for a nobody on their team. 

The Colts should trade Jeremy Vujnovich to the Packers, too. Their fans will be psyched to get the Colts O-lineman who played every snap last season. 

• Like 4