Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The OL in trouble?!

needanoline63

Coaching goes along way. We should have a better offensive line this year, even without Castonzo for the preseason. The colts OL coach may be a problem if this article is true. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2018/1/30/16952406/colts-sign-former-patriots-ol-coach-dave-deguglielmo-which-is-bad-news-for-andrew-luck

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This story was posted back when the Colts hired DD.

Just because a coach doesn’t work out with one team doesn’t mean he won’t do well for the Colts.

He’s not going anywhere...   we will find out over the next four months.

Apparently dolphins didn’t like him either! If he really is teaching his OL the way it says he did in Miami and New England then that’s not good, even if AC comes back

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s not going anywhere...   we will find out over the next four months.

Yep. This guy was McDaniel's guy but I'd be shocked if he gets thrown in the dumpster as quick as Reich tossed Austin Howard, which is where Clark and an always broken Goode actually belong on a team that talks about having nine starters. 

As much as wins and losses, I think Ballard is judging coaches on developing young talent this year. So far Borgonzi is earning a gold star with his linebackers.  But Gugs gets credit for Smith exceeding expectations, esp playing a different position. And Nelson has been solid. 

TBH, I've been most surprised/ disappointed in Kelly, at least the first two games. Hopefully its just rust. 

The defenses that we are facing, seem to be blitzing a LB or safety every play

On first down, on second down, on 3rd.......... when a RB gets the handoff and a hit at the same time, you have a problem......  that isnt the RBs fault.......

The blitz pick up (and the stunts) will be one of the most challenging things that this young line will see.

You solve the blitz with a hot read from the reciever/QB (and RB).........  There isnt the chemistry ..... YET.... it seems.... between the WR/RB/QB........      This will get better. IMHO

The second part of blitz/stunt pick up, is proper hand off from OL........ when you have new combinations...... this is a problem (like with us)......  This will get better IMHO

I think when we get AC back, and just frikken put Smith at RT, and let him learn, we will be ok.

Just sayin

Deano

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Fat Clemenza said:

Yep. This guy was McDaniel's guy but I'd be shocked if he gets thrown in the dumpster as quick as Reich tossed Austin Howard, which is where Clark and an always broken Goode actually belong on a team that talks about having nine starters. 

As much as wins and losses, I think Ballard is judging coaches on developing young talent this year. So far Borgonzi is earning a gold star with his linebackers.  But Gugs gets credit for Smith exceeding expectations, esp playing a different position. And Nelson has been solid. 

TBH, I've been most surprised/ disappointed in Kelly, at least the first two games. Hopefully its just rust. 

Kelly got mauled. And he is not playing besides wimps now.

Do we have a running back that is solid at picking up blitzes?
We have no good pass blocking TE
  And yes it will take some time for our interior guys to jell.

1 hour ago, ColtJ82 said:

Can't wait for preseason to be voer

season needs to start next sunday...preseason is WAY too long, always has been, players shouldn't be asked to play a quarter of a season to warm up to play THE season.  3 games would be plenty, if not fewer. And playing the same team twice in a row  should be disallowed.  Ok, I'll stop now.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Not true at all as Ebron can block well. 1:40 of Luck week 3 highlights will show you.

4 hours ago, Fat Clemenza said:

I thought I had read that Kelly had graded out rather well in one or both of the first two games?

Can someone confirm that?   Anyone?

Ryan Kelly?   How has he looked?

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought I had read that Kelly had graded out rather well in one or both of the first two games?

I think he has graded out well.  The few times I watched him he did fine.  I actually remember seeing him getting to the second level and throwing blocks on the  LB'ers or the secondary.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

You realize Jack Doyle is on the team in the first place BECAUSE he can pass block right?  The running routes/catching passes thing was just gravy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I think he has graded out well.  The few times I watched him he did fine.  I actually remember seeing him getting to the second level and throwing blocks on the  LB'ers or the secondary.  

3 different time on run plays he would pass his guy off to Nelson and take a step forward.(even if Nelson was already engaged with someone else...lol)

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Reports have been thats he's been grading out very well thru all three games. I've not seen any evidence where he's gotten flat "mauled"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

3 different time on run plays he would pass his guy off to Nelson and take a step forward.(even if Nelson was already engaged with someone else...lol)

Could it be that if he was supposed to pass his guy off to Nelson that Nelson was slow on finishing his assignment and picking up Kelly's man?  He is still a rookie and we know how important OL chemistry is.  Just need more playing time together I would think.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Could it be that if he was supposed to pass his guy off to Nelson that Nelson was slow on finishing his assignment and picking up Kelly's man?  He is still a rookie and we know how important OL chemistry is.  Just need more playing time together I would think.

Mostly agree with you there.  Or on one play they schemed beautifully.  Kelly pushed his guy to Nelson as Wilkins was getting the hand off. Nelson just 1/2 stepped to the right, to block Kelly's guy, Nelson's previous guy then had to go around Nelson to get to Wilkins.  Wasn't happening.  Kelly got on the MLB by the time Wilkins was in the hole.  

• Like 1

Here is an interesting breakdown of Braden Smith's game ve 49ers, where he was back at guard.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/8/29/17794108/film-room-braden-smith-run-blocking-vs-san-francisco-49ers-preseason-week-3

In closing, the writer believes Smith is more effective as a tackle than at guard position.

...ANALYSIS

Smith continues to be inconsistent when he plays at the guard position. His limitations on the run, in space and moving laterally give him fits on certain downs. He is susceptible to losing when he doesn’t initiate contact and is unable to square his shoulders. He has a bad habit of grabbing at defenders when he is beat, resulting in holding calls that will kill drives.

While Smith might be an average or slightly below average starting guard, particularly for a rookie, he seems much more natural at right tackle at this point in his development.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Here is an interesting breakdown of Braden Smith's game ve 49ers, where he was back at guard.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/8/29/17794108/film-room-braden-smith-run-blocking-vs-san-francisco-49ers-preseason-week-3

In closing, the writer believes Smith is more effective as a tackle than at guard position.

It reads like Mewhort, who was never considered for RT, either.  Not sure what coaches or GMs are looking for.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:39 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Kelly has been average.  Imo (remember this is solely my opinion) but he has under-performed for being a first round pick. He doesn't drop well enough nor able to actually resist engages that are 2 step engages.  When it comes to pass protection he is below average-average on about 70% of his plays.  He has about 25% of the plays after where he is above average and then the 5% is extremely rare but either he is outstanding or does terrible.  Hard to split such a small sample. 

In the run game he does better, but he doesn't have the pop you are looking for from a first round prospect at the snap.  This is why first round centers are just not good value.  Rarely can they ever live up to that billing.  And in Kelly's case that is apparently true.  In the run game I'd say he has about 20% average plays, 50% above average, 10% excellent, 15% below average and 5% terrible.  Much more consistent in this phase of his game. 

All in all I'm not saying hes a terrible player but to know that he is a first round pick (something he has no control over) then he has been underwhelming.  If you are looking from just a player perspective he is consistent and better more times than he is worse which is very good to have in a center. 

I still want to see how the return of AC will impact the line. I'm hoping that once he's back we will be able to give more help to the right side of the line and somehow patch it up for this year until we address it next year. I think the chance we draft another O-lineman with one of our first 3 picks next year is even higher now. 

Regardless of indications thus far, it as way too soon to declare anything in trouble. If things don't gel by the four game point, then I hope the play calling protects our QB, even if it lessens our ability to win this year. 

I actually expect adequate oline play this season. Maybe even solid by game 3-5. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

Kelly has been average.  Imo (remember this is solely my opinion) but he has under-performed for being a first round pick. He doesn't drop well enough nor able to actually resist engages that are 2 step engages.  When it comes to pass protection he is below average-average on about 70% of his plays.  He has about 25% of the plays after where he is above average and then the 5% is extremely rare but either he is outstanding or does terrible.  Hard to split such a small sample. 

In the run game he does better, but he doesn't have the pop you are looking for from a first round prospect at the snap.  This is why first round centers are just not good value.  Rarely can they ever live up to that billing.  And in Kelly's case that is apparently true.  In the run game I'd say he has about 20% average plays, 50% above average, 10% excellent, 15% below average and 5% terrible.  Much more consistent in this phase of his game. 

All in all I'm not saying hes a terrible player but to know that he is a first round pick (something he has no control over) then he has been underwhelming.  If you are looking from just a player perspective he is consistent and better more times than he is worse which is very good to have in a center. 

Remember...   this is the same Ryan Kelly who I believe allowed zero sacks in his first year.

Kelly’s second season was very poor due to reasons that were not his fault.   He was injured several times and could’ve chosen to sit out, instead he played trying to help the team.

As for a center not returning first round value...   before the Colts drafted Kelly, I went through all 32 teams and I believe there were 8 or 9 first round centers.   All were excellent.   The idea that their teams would be disappointed with the performance of those players was clearly false.   

I cant remember all the names,  but among them were the Pouncy Brothers, Mack and Wood.   That’s four of the eight and all were held in high regard. 

Many teams are extending players contracts this week.  I know Costanzo is under contract for the next few years I believe.  But it might make sense to extend him now as well.  I don't think he has missed a lot of time so he is pretty durable.  One less big contract to worry about down the road. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember...   this is the same Ryan Kelly who I believe allowed zero sacks in his first year.

Kelly’s second season was very poor due to reasons that were not his fault.   He was injured several times and could’ve chosen to sit out, instead he played trying to help the team.

As for a center not returning first round value...   before the Colts drafted Kelly, I went through all 32 teams and I believe there were 8 or 9 first round centers.   All were excellent.   The idea that their teams would be disappointed with the performance of those players was clearly false.   

I cant remember all the names,  but among them were the Pouncy Brothers, Mack and Wood.   That’s four of the eight and all were held in high regard. 

But here is the thing.  As far as Kelly not allowing sacks that should be an average standard.  Most players who line up over the center wont give you much pass rushing force and they are there for more gap integrity.  So that in itself doesn't speak much to me as any pressure from there will come from blitzers and that is the job of the QB and RB to take care of those. 

I just disagree completely with the point you bring up.  Out of the pouncey brothers only Marquise is the one playing a pro bowl level.  His little brother has been threatened of benching plenty of times due to his performance. Mack is in a completely different decade...

I just don't agree that centers are good value in the first round.  To be a truly elite center like that is pretty rare and the difference in value between an above average center and a lesser talented center isn't all that great.  

Either way it doesn't change that Kelly hasn't been outstanding.  He has just been average.  As a player that is fine and what you want.  But as draft capital that is a miss. 

Its an old story in sports amongst fans (and sometimes coaches also ) When a part of your team (in this case the Colts OL ) is not performing well …. which this Colts OL is not... For the most part you are STUCK with the guys you got so WE (and I include myself in this ) We lie to ourselves and comment >>>>> " It is still early " Is this one of the more talented teams say offensive tackle wise in NFL ???? …..Probably not . But since I am not expecting playoffs this year I will try not to complain about the OT play …….GO COLTS !!!!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Savage21 said:

The Colts may seriously have the most negative fan base in the world.

I agree. I never realized it until I joined here a little over 3 years ago but some people on here are very negative and have no patience. You would think with the success we have had over the last 15 seasons (2002-2017) = only 2 losing seasons being 2011 and last season that some people would appreciate this franchise more. Since 2002 we have had seasons where we have won 10 or more games 11 times, we have won a SB (2006), and been to 4 AFC Title Games (2003/2006/2009/2014). Not all Peyton either, with Luck we have made an AFC Title Game (2014) and have won 11 games 3 times. With Luck healthy we have never been worse than 8-8 either.

-Having said that we do have alot of knowledgeable Posters in here as well and Positive people so it's all good. 

33 minutes ago, Savage21 said:

The Colts may seriously have the most negative fan base in the world.

I'm 31 now, and I started out very positive when I was 10 (right before I turned 11) when I became a Colts fan when they drafted Peyton in the 98 draft. I was ready to be a Colts fan for life (and I am) and started watching football regularly from there on out. After Peyton's career with the Colts, he only got us 2 SB appearances, and one victory, while managing to do the same for the Broncos in a 4 year span. My emotions went from excitement to frustration as I saw the Pats beat us almost every year or just make the SB, and that frustration started to turn to disinterest toward real football once I got into fantasy football.

Once we drafted Luck, I gave it another chance, although I knew Brady was still playing and it would be difficult to beat him. The first 3 years were fun, as we took a step forward each time and made the AFC Championship game before losing to the Pats. Once I learned shortly after how bad Grigson was and that Luck was injured, my interest has almost completely waned in this team, and I only really am starting to get it back since Luck just came back and we are back to square one from 2012 with an almost 29 year old Luck.

Yes, I'm negative a lot of the time, but I'm also very positive when good things happen. I was very positive during the draft and am looking forward to seeing how our young players play. It's just very frustrating when I've dedicated 20 years of my life to this team, with two great QBs, and we've only gotten 2 SB appearances and 1 SB win while the Pats have steamrolled over the conference for almost 20 years. I'm to the point where it's very hard to get me positive or excited about something the team does, until we start winning games and making the playoffs again at the very least. Talk is cheap, even if I like Ballard. I want action.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm 31 now, and I started out very positive when I was 10 (right before I turned 11) when I became a Colts fan when they drafted Peyton in the 98 draft. I was ready to be a Colts fan for life (and I am) and started watching football regularly from there on out. After Peyton's career with the Colts, he only got us 2 SB appearances, and one victory, while managing to do the same for the Broncos in a 4 year span. My emotions went from excitement to frustration as I saw the Pats beat us almost every year or just make the SB, and that frustration started to turn to disinterest toward real football once I got into fantasy football.

Once we drafted Luck, I gave it another chance, although I knew Brady was still playing and it would be difficult to beat him. The first 3 years were fun, as we took a step forward each time and made the AFC Championship game before losing to the Pats. Once I learned shortly after how bad Grigson was and that Luck was injured, my interest has almost completely waned in this team, and I only really am starting to get it back since Luck just came back and we are back to square one from 2012 with an almost 29 year old Luck.

Yes, I'm negative a lot of the time, but I'm also very positive when good things happen. I was very positive during the draft and am looking forward to seeing how our young players play. It's just very frustrating when I've dedicated 20 years of my life to this team, with two great QBs, and we've only gotten 2 SB appearances and 1 SB win while the Pats have steamrolled over the conference for almost 20 years. I'm to the point where it's very hard to get me positive or excited about something the team does, until we start winning games and making the playoffs again at the very least. Talk is cheap, even if I like Ballard. I want action.

Alot of us probably agree that only winning 1 SB over the last 15 seasons with Peyton and now Luck is a bit frustrating but only 1 team can win it all each year. Look at how the last 15 seasons overall have been though, with the exception of 2011 and last season we have been arguably the 2nd best franchise in the league to the Pats. Peyton was out in 2011 and Luck was out last year = the 2 seasons we were Bad. I see an upward trend coming again as long as Luck stays healthy now. Chuck and Grigs are history as well. It's winning time again. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Id put money on the jets fanbase. Watch any nfl draft when it was at radio city.  I loved their reactions

Problem with our fanbase is Peyton spoiled us rotten. With him for 7 seasons straight from 2003-2009 we won 12 games every season in our sleep and won a SB. The Patriots fanbase will be the same when Brady retires and their success dwindles. At least we have Luck though and he has gave us 3 solid seasons already, they have nobody as of now to take Brady's spot.

• Like 1

Either AC comes back, and his presence improves the right side, or the right side continues to be horrible. The right side should be mediocre, regardless of AC. Ballard has had 2 off seasons to fix the offensive line, and it still is broken. How can we not have a starting RT with a week and a half before the season starts? I know the Indianapolis media has a man crush on Ballard, but he should be taking some heat here

46 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Either AC comes back, and his presence improves the right side, or the right side continues to be horrible. The right side should be mediocre, regardless of AC. Ballard has had 2 off seasons to fix the offensive line, and it still is broken. How can we not have a starting RT with a week and a half before the season starts? I know the Indianapolis media has a man crush on Ballard, but he should be taking some heat here

A bit extreme, but there's a valid point in there.  I don't know if there were any OTs available, or the value was way off, or we had no offers to trade down to where the OT value was 2 draft's ago, but picking a FS with the 15th pick always bothered me.  As did a G at #6 this draft.  I hope the players selected are of high enough quality to have enough impact at their position to overcome Ballard ignoring positional value.

• Like 1