Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The OL in trouble?!

needanoline63

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Either AC comes back, and his presence improves the right side, or the right side continues to be horrible. The right side should be mediocre, regardless of AC. Ballard has had 2 off seasons to fix the offensive line, and it still is broken. How can we not have a starting RT with a week and a half before the season starts? I know the Indianapolis media has a man crush on Ballard, but he should be taking some heat here

We will have a starting RT that's guaranteed. The competition is coming down to the wire between Haeg  Smith and Webb.

This will easily be the best OL Luck has had in front of him. Nelson Kelly Slauson/Smith will form a strong interior that will keep pressure out of 12's face for the first time since he's been a pro. That will allow him to step up in the pocket making the T's jobs easier. The new offensive philosophy should help the OL. 

We added both of last years college All American G's one of which has shown well at T too. We brought in 2 veteran FA's. It stinks Howard turned to crap overnight and then Good can't stay on the field hopefully we move on from both. Howard is a gone for sure IMO.  Castonzo's injury set the line back as well forcing guys to cover LT.  Thankfully it's only preseason but you feel free to keep the drama coming. 

9 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We will have a starting RT that's guaranteed. The competition is coming down to the wire between Haeg  Smith and Webb.

This will easily be the best OL Luck has had in front of him. Nelson Kelly Slauson/Smith will form a strong interior that will keep pressure out of 12's face for the first time since he's been a pro. That will allow him to step up in the pocket making the T's jobs easier. The new offensive philosophy should help the OL. 

We added both of last years college All American G's one of which has shown well at T too. We brought in 2 veteran FA's. It stinks Howard turned to crap overnight and then Good can't stay on the field hopefully we move on from both. Howard is a gone for sure IMO.  Castonzo's injury set the line back as well forcing guys to cover LT.  Thankfully it's only preseason but you feel free to keep the drama coming. 

You must not be watching Pre-Season, as Luck has constantly been under fire. Same problem, different group of guys. Not sure how I'm being dramatic here

2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I have the sense that you are blind to a lot of things.

I know a poor offensive line when I see one. Almost fixed does not equal fixed. Ballard has had two entire off seasons to fix the line. Instead of getting this done, Ballard is wasting picks on bust DE's 

22 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Just curious, how many sacks did he take as a rookie when the line was AC, Reitz?, Satele, McGlynn, and Justice?  And what was the yards per carry average for the RBs?

Not that stats measure everything of course.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just curious, how many sacks did he take as a rookie when the line was AC, Reitz?, Satele, McGlynn, and Justice?  And what was the yards per carry average for the RBs?

Not that stats measure everything of course.

Andrew Luck felt constant pressure his rookie year and was hit numerous times.  He was sacked 41 times last year, 4th highest total in the NFL. I didn't look up the RB ypc 

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Andrew Luck felt constant pressure his rookie year and was hit numerous times.  He was sacked 41 times last year, 4th highest total in the NFL. I didn't look up the RB ypc 

I know.  But you said this is his best OL ever. 

I was just wondering what the stats were when he had the Oline consisting of a bunch of "nobodies".

13 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I know a poor offensive line when I see one. Almost fixed does not equal fixed. Ballard has had two entire off seasons to fix the line. Instead of getting this done, Ballard is wasting picks on bust DE's 

So Basham after one is a bust and Turay and Lewis who haven't played a down are bust too and you know a poor OL?  Yeah ok 

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I know.  But you said this is his best OL ever. 

I was just wondering what the stats were when he had the Oline consisting of a bunch of "nobodies".

I  said this will be the best OL Luck has had in front of him based on the interior finally creating  a pocket and improved offensive philosophy.  I did a quick google search for you You can research the rest not sure what your getting at 

6 minutes ago, akcolt said:

So Basham after one is a bust and Turay and Lewis who haven't played a down are bust too and you know a poor OL?  Yeah ok 

Many people questioned if Turay and Lewis were reaches in the second.  It came down to accepting Turay because he was supposedly recommended by Mathis.  And don't forget we traded up from the 3rd to select Lewis near the bottom of the second. 

So it wouldn't be unfair to compare the success of that trade to the trade-up for TY Hilton, which was basically the same trade.

I  said this will be the best OL Luck has had in front of him based on the interior finally creating  a pocket and improved offensive philosophy.  I did a quick google search for you You can research the rest not sure what your getting at 

That's fine.  I just remember the O clicking pretty well his rookie year and the year after, not that the Oline didn't need improvement.  The past couple of years were certainly a problem.

I'm excited to see the scheme change more than anything.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Many people questioned if Turay and Lewis were reaches in the second.  It came down to accepting Turay because he was supposedly recommended by Mathis.  And don't forget we traded up from the 3rd to select Lewis near the bottom of the second. 

So it wouldn't be unfair to compare the success of that trade to the trade-up for TY Hilton, which was basically the same trade.

What are you talking about? We weren't comparing anything the Geek declared all 3 DE's busts and 2 have yet to play a single down in the NFL if you don't see how ridiculous that is I don't know what to say. 

You are late  to the conversation and don't seem to be following it. 

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's fine.  I just remember the O clicking pretty well his rookie year and the year after, not that the Oline didn't need improvement.  The past couple of years were certainly a problem.

I'm excited to see the scheme change more than anything.

We have allowed pressure in Lucks face since I can remember Holmes was draft in 2013 and couldn't hold up at C but they refused to move on He was blown up regularly

15 minutes ago, akcolt said:

What are you talking about? We weren't comparing anything the Geek declared all 3 DE's busts and 2 have yet to play a single down in the NFL if you don't see how ridiculous that is I don't know what to say. 

You are late  to the conversation and don't seem to be following it. 

I understand Geek throws around the term bust pretty easily, but its not like he calls out players who actually earn playing time as being busts.  He has a quick trigger, but not bad aim.

Basham didn't play much last year because he didn't earn it, not because he just got drafted.  And the other two were considered legitimate reaches by many, and now one wont play for 9 weeks, if at all.

And Quincy Wilson didn't earn playing time last season.  He was called a bust.  A bit extreme, but its not like he called Hooker a bust.

6 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We have allowed pressure in Lucks face since I can remember Holmes was draft in 2013 and couldn't hold up at C but they refused to move on He was blown up regularly

Ok you've convinced me.  At this point in the preseason, its definitely Lucks best Oline ever. 

45 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Basham is clearly a bust. He cannot beat 3rd string guys in the pre season. Turay and Lewis are not busts yet, but they have had horrible training camps. 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I understand Geek throws around the term bust pretty easily, but its not like he calls out players who actually earn playing time as being busts.  He has a quick trigger, but not bad aim.

Basham didn't play much last year because he didn't earn it, not because he just got drafted.  And the other two were considered legitimate reaches by many, and now one wont play for 9 weeks, if at all.

And Quincy Wilson didn't earn playing time last season.  He was called a bust.  A bit extreme, but its not like he called Hooker a bust.

A pass rusher taken at 80 isn't going to hit the ground running If they were going to start their first year and get double digit sacks they are going top 10. Basham is from a small school played last yr out of position for a lame duck staff. Q ended up in that staffs dog house. He flashes when he plays 

I'm not a big Basham fan but its a bit early to toss in the towel. Preseason is meaningless Geek lacks a fundemental understanding of how the NFL works especially when it comes to young players. Anyone who calls a guy a bust before he plays a meaningful down just doesn't have a clue. I believe he was complaining about the value of Hooker and Nelson.  The guy's a troll or ..... I don't need a warning so I'll stop there. 

A pass rusher taken at 80 isn't going to hit the ground running If they were going to start their first year and get double digit sacks they are going top 10. Basham is from a small school played last yr out of position for a lame duck staff. Q ended up in that staffs dog house. He flashes when he plays 

I'm not a big Basham fan but its a bit early to toss in the towel. Preseason is meaningless Geek lacks a fundemental understanding of how the NFL works especially when it comes to young players. Anyone who calls a guy a bust before he plays a meaningful down just doesn't have a clue. I believe he was complaining about the value of Hooker and Nelson.  The guy's a troll or ..... I don't need a warning so I'll stop there. 

Preseason is not meaningless. It shows who can play, and who cannot play. Often makes or breaks careers. Without preseason, we might still think that Hines is good, and we could watch him fumble in the regular season. Quite frankly, I'm honestly surprised people are still sticking with Basham.

25 minutes ago, akcolt said:

He's not a troll.  As I said, he has a quick trigger when going against the popular narrative of defending CB.  But he doesn't have bad aim, nor does he cut a wide path with buckshot.  I'm not defending the use of the term bust.

However, if a player is going to have an impact, something usually shows up his rookie year in some way, AKA Hairston, TY, Dwayne Allen, Mewhort compared to Basham, Wilson, Banner, Fleener, Werner, DJoun Smith, and Dorsett. 

I don't know about him, but I know I have consistently questioned the value of Hooker at 15 and Nelson at 6, and even Kelly at 18 (but less than the others).   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2018 at 4:07 AM, NewColtsFan said:

This story was posted back when the Colts hired DD.

Just because a coach doesn’t work out with one team doesn’t mean he won’t do well for the Colts.

He’s not going anywhere...   we will find out over the next four months.

Couldn't have been more prophetic, @NewColtsFan - good groceries, good OL product is what we are seeing. :thmup:

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2018 at 3:34 AM, needanoline63 said:

Coaching goes along way. We should have a better offensive line this year, even without Castonzo for the preseason. The colts OL coach may be a problem if this article is true. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2018/1/30/16952406/colts-sign-former-patriots-ol-coach-dave-deguglielmo-which-is-bad-news-for-andrew-luck

Our old OL coach was supposed to be an OL whisperer and that didnt work, maybe this will.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:34 AM, needanoline63 said:

Coaching goes along way. We should have a better offensive line this year, even without Castonzo for the preseason. The colts OL coach may be a problem if this article is true. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2018/1/30/16952406/colts-sign-former-patriots-ol-coach-dave-deguglielmo-which-is-bad-news-for-andrew-luck

LOL.

18 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

LOL.

Lol good god. It was only one game we won. Let’s see the OL have good outings against the opponents on the way. We need more then 2 consecutive games with great blocking before we pass a verdict. So “lol” at you

Just now, needanoline63 said:

Lol good god. It was only one game . Let’s see the OL have good outings against the opponents on the way. We need more then 2 consecutive games with great blocking before we pass a verdict. So “lol” at you

49 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

Lol good god. It was only one game we won. Let’s see the OL have good outings against the opponents on the way. We need more then 2 consecutive games with great blocking before we pass a verdict. So “lol” at you

They’re in the top 5 in both pass protection & run blocking after 7 games. How much better do they need to be to live up to the impossibly high standards of our fanbase?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They’re in the top 5 in both pass protection & run blocking after 7 games. How much better do they need to be to live up to the impossibly high standards of our fanbase?

We are 22nd in ypg on the ground. But ya I know we’re on the rise. Guess coach degugluiemo needed a change of scenery to succeed

1 hour ago, needanoline63 said:

We are 22nd in ypg on the ground. But ya I know we’re on the rise. Guess coach degugluiemo needed a change of scenery to succeed

Who cares where we rank in yards per game on the ground? Protecting Luck was priority number 1, & you're upset because we're not some 1950s ground & pound team?

10 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

They have also been without their starting left tackle and starting running back until the last two weeks.  Since they have returned the Colts have done nothing but pound the rock effectively.

15 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

Uhhhhhhhh 

we havent allowed a sack in 2 weeks. To the Bills, who have a great defense, and Jets, who also have a good front 7. We also only allowed 1 to the Patriots the week prior to the Jets. We have had plenty of decent outings in terms of pass pro so far this season. The run game has also improved since the return of Castanzo. Things are looking up, so why are you looking down?

10 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Who cares where we rank in yards per game on the ground? Protecting Luck was priority number 1, & you're upset because we're not some 1950s ground & pound team?

Aren’t you?!?!?!?!?!?!? Pound that rock baybeeeeeee!

but in a serious note, Reichs offense seems to balance the run and pass, which is obviously the goal every game, but the way it worked against the Bills was awesome. The Bills defense was just WORN. OUT. And that made that game that much more fun to watch. 

We got to see how a prolifent coaching staff works in helping the players win a game.