Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Already an UPDATE on the Luck is Throwing update....

NewColtsFan

Seems as if our guys are not all on the same page.....

But within a few hours of Reich announcing and Ballard confirming that Luck is now throwing footballs....    comes NEW news.

He's not really.

What he's throwing are smaller footballs and NOT NFL regulation sized footballs.

This too comes from Reich and confirmed by Ballard.

Here's the story.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Andrew-Luck-Has-Introduced-Smaller-Footballs-Into-Throwing-Workouts/0a16d610-00d5-49a7-b8b8-0214709d8e29

Honestly,  ths is pretty sloppy by our trio of Reich, Ballard and Irsay.    There needs to be one story and only one story.   Otherwise,  the message gets lost with the muddle.

Hopefully this is the last update for a while....    and no other stumbles....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But within a few hours of Reich announcing and Ballard confirming that Luck is now throwing footballs....    comes NEW news.

He's not really.

What he's throwing are smaller footballs and NOT NFL regulation sized footballs.

Here's the story.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Andrew-Luck-Has-Introduced-Smaller-Footballs-Into-Throwing-Workouts/0a16d610-00d5-49a7-b8b8-0214709d8e29

Honestly,  ths is pretty sloppy by our trio of Reich, Ballard and Irsay.    There needs to be one story and only one story.   Otherwise,  the message gets lost with the muddle.

Not exactly the "smoke screen" you wanna hear from these guys. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Probably could have been handled a bit better.

Honestly I wish Luck would just have one presser/interview where he cleans things up. His press conference in late Dececmber was like SUPER uninformative and it felt like he was just put out there so the team could say "Hey look! He's still alive!"

Either way. Smaller footballs or not, he's still throwing and that's a step in the right direction. 

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

Honestly I wish Luck would just have one presser/interview where he cleans things up. His press conference in late Dececmber was like SUPER uninformative and it felt like he was just put out there so the team could say "Hey look! He's still alive!"

Either way. Smaller footballs or not, he's still throwing and that's a step in the right direction. 

Yeah, will hear from him during OTA's and maybe paint a clearer picture for us. 

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's not really.

Here's the story.

If you watch the clip of Reich and Ballard they both said smaller footballs it was just reported wrong. Reich did say that Luck was throwing but then restated it was with a smaller ball and the reporter who reported it just heard that Luck was throwing. Nothing to really freak out tho that they are not on the same page.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's not really.

Here's the story.

He’s just going through football motions atm ..... small football or NFL football it’s still great news! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neug3246 said:

If you watch the clip of Reich and Ballard they both said smaller footballs it was just reported wrong. Reich did say that Luck was throwing but then restated it was with a smaller ball and the reporter who reported it just heard that Luck was throwing. Nothing to really freak out tho that they are not on the same page.

Actually,  no....    it was NOT reported wrong.     Ths is not on the reporter.

Here's a front page story on the website...    about Luck now throwing smaller football...    and it's right there toward the top....   Reich acknowledges his comment aboutr Luck from the morning session with the media was not quite as complete as he'd like...     and he amends it by clarifying it with the note about the football's being smaller.

Just click on the link:    The quote is toward the top of the story...   Paragraph 3.

To be clear,  Reich is not apologizing for some mistake.    He's only recognizing that the comment needed to be more precise,  more accurate,  otherwise it could be viewed as inaccurate.

For whatever it's worth,  Ballard is interviewed by Caroline Cann...   and he talks about the new smaller footballs being viewed for throwing motion and tempo.     And that earlier in the process Luck was using much heavier footballs to gain strength.     Says Luck is right where he's supposed to be.    He made it sound like he has Luck's daily schedule and knows what he's doing every day.

• Like 1

I’m glad they didn’t rush him back. He (apparently) has regained his strength and may be stronger than before. 

What has been perceived as deception throughout this process, may just be a reflection of how complicated shoulder surgery is. Maybe they really didn’t know but were hopeful. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neug3246 said:

I can't load the clip.  What did Reich actually say?  I'm not interested in reading a reporter's version of what Reich said, I'm interested in watching what he said.

A lot of "reporting" is simply cut-and-paste from another story.  Oftentimes the term "multiple reports" simply means that its one report lifted and pasted into multiple outlets.  If the first reporter got it wrong, or in some cases simply put his slant on it, the whole story gets fouled up, especially if the other cut-and-paste reporters don't bother to double check the first report because they know the slant sells copy. 

Is there a version of the actual clip that loads better?

7 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Footballs come in different sizes, so do soccer balls and basketballs.  Who cares, he's throwing footballs.  Picky Picky.

• Like 1

To be completely honest, History has shown us that when the COLTS say "Yea, So and So will be ready by training camp" this typically means that the player may be ready by mid season the earliest, or sometimes not at all (see Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck). With that in mind, If Andrew is now throwing small footballs (March 2018), I don't see Andrew starting the season or playing possibly into mid October. JBH.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's not really.

Here's the story.

ill take the fact that hes throwing A football than hereing nothing anyday:thmup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Lucky was tearing apart the D in practice more than 3 months ago, and here now our QB for the next ten years is throwing little footballs. What a ____ mess.

lmao at this good news.

Hard to believe he was ever tearing up the defense in practice. The activation from the PUP and video of him throwing seemed very contrived. As did the Town Hall interview with Peter King.

I just have a hard time believing he is coming back. If he does, I will be so happy to be wrong. 

I hate to sound so cynical, but I also don't think Ballard's frugality in FA and Luck not being healthy is a coincidence. And if I wanted to really embrace my cynicism, I would point out that Luck's potential dead cap hit would eat up ~$50M in dead cap space, which the Colts conveninetly still have.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Hard to believe he was ever tearing up the defense in practice. The activation from the PUP and video of him throwing seemed very contrived. As did the Town Hall interview with Peter King.

I just have a hard time believing he is coming back. If he does, I will be so happy to be wrong. 

I hate to sound so cynical, but I also don't think Ballard's frugality in FA and Luck not being healthy is a coincidence. And if I wanted to really embrace my cynicism, I would point out that Luck's potential dead cap hit would eat up ~$50M in dead cap space, which the Colts conveninetly still have.

Makes perfect sense.  So, knowing Luck isn't coming back, they decided to trade out of the draft position that would've very likely given them their pick of any qb in this draft class to replace Luck with.

2 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Makes perfect sense.  So, knowing Luck isn't coming back, they decided to trade out of the draft position that would've very likely given them their pick of any qb in this draft class to replace Luck with.

I see what you are saying...and that's a fair point. However, I don't think it is that simple.

First, with everything that has happened, they weren't going to draft a QB at 3. That would have been a PR nightmare and they wouldn't be able to control the message. If Luck is truly done, it will happen at practice after a 'setback.' That's how I think it happened with Manning. He couldn't even throw a football months after surgery (pain or no pain)...they activated him from PUP...and a week later he is having a neck fusion. 

Second, they have said this is a three-year rebuild and they already have Brissett, which buys them some time to acquire/draft another QB. Ballard has also said it's about more than one guy. So with so many holes on the roster, it was more prudent to trade back for additonal early picks (to fill several holes) rather than prioritize QB at #3. It seems counterintuitive as QB is the most important position, but at this time, that move is right in line with Ballard's approach so far to building up a strong foundation of players.

The Colts and the NYG are in similar spots. Both have a question mark at QB, a young backup QB and a top 3 pick. Yet plenty of people think the NYG are going to trade back. So if it makes sense for the NYG, then it makes for the Colts. 

The difference, of course, is that it actually doesn't make sense for NYG. They have better players that require (or will require) much more cap investment going forward. So it is imperative that they have a cheap QB.

The Colts don't have pieces...and they have plenty of cap space, which affords them flexibility to potentially explore other avenues for acquiring a QB if they wanted (trade, FA, etc.).

But I am not saying they know he isn't coming back. I just think they have doubts...and I do too. And I think those doubts might has contributed to them being cautious in their approach, especially in FA. And if worse comes to worst...releasing Luck will result in a huge dead cap hit when you factor in the money guaranteed for injury. So they will need available cap space if that happened, which they currently have.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong. And I know this is not a popular viewpoint, but it's just my opinion based on what I have seen and read.

I actually predict Luck will wind up on IR again. Sorry people. The original surgery was supposed to be a 6-9 month recovery. Now, 15 months later, he still can't throw something as light as an NFL football. My prediction: Inflammation in the biceps tendon, which is being kept at bay by the light workload, will appear as Luck resumes a normal NFL workload. By that time, it will be tool late for him to have it corrected AND still play in 2018.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I actually predict Luck will wind up on IR again. Sorry people. The original surgery was supposed to be a 6-9 month recovery. Now, 15 months later, he still can't throw something as light as an NFL football. My prediction: Inflammation in the biceps tendon, which is being kept at bay by the light workload, will appear as Luck resumes a normal NFL workload. By that time, it will be tool late for him to have it corrected AND still play in 2018.

He's already ruled out another surgery...so that would likely mean game over.