Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is Ballard's team

CR91

Hes doing something that we havent seen in the culture of the colts in some time. Hes holding players accountable. No more is sub par performances tolerated. He wants to build a championship team and he doesnt want to rely on one player to do it. BB does not rely on one player to make the patriots champions and that is the mindset you need to have. Look at the packers, their a mess without rodgers. He is trying to make the colts a complete team and instilling that kind of culture is going to take time. I am willing to endure a losing season or two to get the colts to where they need to be so they can finally stop just relying on one player.

Yes, this is Ballard's team. In a quiet way, he is strong internally. He does not have to go out professing it though he does exude confidence when he talks. 

However, he can only build the team, soon he will have to find the right coach to maximize what he builds. Till then, we are going to have to endure it out.

I look at KC as a template for the type of team .  you never hear any drama coming out of KC.  No one acts bigger than the team.  Just solid blue-collar types that kerp their mouths shut and do their jobs.  Ballard hopefully had a part in and has absorbed this attitude/approach.  So far , to me, it looks like he has.

i'm optimistic he'll be successful here.

i would like to see someone step up in the locker room and call out guys dancing and goofing around having fun after losses.

practices and life should be a little miserable after losses.  Sometimes i think some of us take losses harder. haha

19 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I look at KC as a template for the type of team .  you never hear any drama coming out of KC.  No one acts bigger than the team.  Just solid blue-collar types that kerp their mouths shut and do their jobs.  Ballard hopefully had a part in and has absorbed this attitude/approach.  So far , to me, it looks like he has.

i'm optimistic he'll be successful here.

i would like to see someone step up in the locker room and call out guys dancing and goofing around having fun after losses.

practices and life should be a little miserable after losses.  Sometimes i think some of us take losses harder. haha

Yeah imagine if we can build a team like KC has with Luck healthy at QB.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are one of my favorite Posters but you have to at least give Ballard 3 Drafts before we judge him. Once Luck gets healthy and we get a New Coach, a lot will change right there.

Exactly. Give him some time. Now, it's all too much for me. Remember Grigson's start???

2 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Regarding Ballard’s first draft, remember that he didn’t have his own scouting og personal team in place yet. He did bring new high profile guys in at the top after the 2017 draft, so even the draft won’t be with his setup 100% until 2018. Just something to keep in mind. 

He didn't have his coach in place either.  He was supplying players for this coaching staff, for the current offensive and defensive systems.  Without Philbin's influence, does he draft Banner?  

The new coach will be a big influence.  The next coach will want his own guys.

4 hours ago, #12. said:

He didn't have his coach in place either.  He was supplying players for this coaching staff, for the current offensive and defensive systems.  Without Philbin's influence, does he draft Banner?  

The new coach will be a big influence.  The next coach will want his own guys.

All of which means the possibility of a new system which requires different personnel.   Depending on whom Ballard picks as a head coach, this team could be in re-build mode for another 3 or 4 years.

Luck's window of winning SB could be greatly reduced by this.  Ugh...

13 hours ago, CR91 said:

Hes doing something that we havent seen in the culture of the colts in some time. Hes holding players accountable. No more is sub par performances tolerated. He wants to build a championship team and he doesnt want to rely on one player to do it. BB does not rely on one player to make the patriots champions and that is the mindset you need to have. Look at the packers, their a mess without rodgers. He is trying to make the colts a complete team and instilling that kind of culture is going to take time. I am willing to endure a losing season or two to get the colts to where they need to be so they can finally stop just relying on one player.

I wonder how BB would do the rest of the way if he lost Brady for the rest of the season this weekend.   

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

The idea of Head Coach Reich makes sense, with asst, head coach/special teams Toub.

No Thanks.  You can add them to the new coaches staff if you want to but for my money I want a former HC or a current HC now in college or pros.  No more guys learning the job on our dime.  It's hard enough when you are changing all the coaches out then you add a 1st. time HC to the mix.  I'll pass.  Our situation calls for an experienced HC just like the Dungy hire.  Of course that assumes he fires Chuck which, today,  is not a sure thing.  There is a long way to go. 

5 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

All of which means the possibility of a new system which requires different personnel.   Depending on whom Ballard picks as a head coach, this team could be in re-build mode for another 3 or 4 years.

Luck's window of winning SB could be greatly reduced by this.  Ugh...

sigh true but that's the price you pay when you hire a bad GM and a coach at the same time. Total chaos 

We all wish Ballard well but keep in mind Irsay fired Polian and the Indy portion of his resume includes:

Colts led the NFL with eight consecutive playoff appearances.

Seven consecutive years of twelve victories.

Won seven division titles.

Went to two Super Bowls, winning one.

Polian's name is in the Ring of Honor.

Polian is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

-Good luck Ballard

I have no problem with the way Ballard handles this team.

I want to give him another full off-season to bring in more of his guys, players, and coaches, and hopefully, a healthy Andrew Luck, to get a taste of the true identity of this team.

Can't wait to see all the changes he makes this upcoming off-season.

It will take awhile if Luck is not back to normal.  One of my favorite writers was John Clayton, he consistently said good teams find 2-3 starters out of each draft.  With how bare bones this roster is we are looking at 3-4 years before possibly being super bowl contenders.  However, if Brady declines and Rothlisberger retires the AFC could be wide open. We are in great position to be contenders in the middle of Lucks prime.  

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

We all wish Ballard well but keep in mind Irsay fired Polian and the Indy portion of his resume includes:

-Good luck Ballard

He fired polian because he wouldn't fire his son

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

-Good luck Ballard

Yes you listed Polian resume but you left it incomplete as to what lead to his firing.

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

-Good luck Ballard

Don’t forget he gave up our chance at perfection at 14-0...  In a home game to the Jets...  I drove through a near snow storm to watch that travesty. I never liked Polian after that and I never will again. I appreciate the success he brought us but that cowardly act was unforgivable.

The fact that “yes man” Caldwell gave up a chance at perfection so easily just showed he didn’t have the fire needed to be a great HC.  I can’t think of any team in the history of sports who would INTENTIONALLY give up a chance at PERFECTION that close to the end...  Still angers me to this day.   :flaming:  Ironic how both of those cowards were ran out of town in 2 seasons.  Should have sent both packing after the Super Bowl loss.  

I need to go have a drink and go to bed.  Lol. 

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Don’t forget he gave up our chance at perfection at 14-0...  In a home game to the Jets...  I drove through a near snow storm to watch that travesty. I never liked Polian after that and I never will again. I appreciate the success he brought us but that cowardly act was unforgivable.

The fact that “yes man” Caldwell gave up a chance at perfection so easily just showed he didn’t have the fire needed to be a great HC.  I can’t think of any team in the history of sports who would INTENTIONALLY give up a chance at PERFECTION that close to the end...  Still angers me to this day.   :flaming:  Ironic how both of those cowards were ran out of town in 2 seasons.  Should have sent both packing after the Super Bowl loss.  

I need to go have a drink and go to bed.  Lol. 

I seriously contemplated giving up on the team altogether. Fortunately time is a great healer....

15 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

One needs only to look at the 2017 draft and free agency to follow the bouncing ball of a future coach.....he drafted and signed guys specifically suited for a 3-4. The next coach will be familiar and or comfortable with that as his base defense. 

I was actually thinking the opposite. He drafted front 7 guys that could play in the 3-4, but came from 4-3 systems (Basham, Stewart, and Walker), so I think he's leaving the options wide open for the next HC to run either as a base D.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I was actually thinking the opposite. He drafted front 7 guys that could play in the 3-4, but came from 4-3 systems (Basham, Stewart, and Walker), so I think he's leaving the options wide open for the next HC to run either as a base D.

Yeah, and Hankins was from a 4-3 too, wasn’t he? FA, I know, but still..